HonCode

Go Back   HER2 Support Group Forums > Clinical Trials
Register Gallery FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts

Old 09-01-2010, 06:00 PM   #81
v-ness

Re: Neratinib Clinical Trial

i was interested in taking part in this clinical trial. when i first read about it there was a site in springfield, MA which is near me, but now it says "withdrawn" next to springfield. the next nearest site is in worcester, which is a good hour from me. i wonder if those of you taking part in the trial had to go to the actual site of the trial for every single test they do on you? are you able to do any of it at your 'home' hospital? i live 2 minutes from my hospital, so it's a hell of a lot more preferable than an hour+ commute on an awful turnpike. add to that, i already missed some work for cancer and i'm no more interested in missing more than my bosses are. there are also several trials in boston, but that's 2 hours. i'd be happy to go on occasion for an all day series of tests etc. but can't give up a lot of time. how much time do you estimate you spend at the hospital for this trial when you take part? i would be eligible for one for early stage BC and my own oncologist said she'd be willing to support me in any way to take part in it and called me a "great candidate" (not sure why!). since Herceptin is drawing to an end for me in october i figured it was time to look into this. thanks for any info you can provide, besides the diarrhea. v
2/10 began 7 wks of radiation
6/10 mom dies of primary peritoneal ovarian cancer
8/10 got my last remaining ovary out
10/10 mammogram all clear
3/11 MRI shows 5 'spots' in right breast, largest 1 cm unidentifiable on US
needle biopsy proved the largest to be old inflamed cyst -phew!
7/10 switched to Arimidex
8/9 switched to Femara - allergic to arimidex
Femara made me lose hair quickly so switched to Aromasin
Aromasin made my hair fall out too and the bone pain was too much.
back on Tamoxifen 1/2013.
blood clot from trains and planes 5/2014 so on coumadin per onco for as long as i am on tamoxifen
tamoxifen was supposed to be up with my 5 yrs in may but my boyfriend was diagnosed with stage 4 colon cancer so i am staying on tamoxifen indefinitely because i want some ammo against BC, given the stress. lost my husband in only 10 wks in 2007 to stage 4 esophageal cancer.
cancer's screwing with another man i love
2/2016 - 6yrs in remission, off tamoxifen and off coumadin - yay!
v-ness is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2010, 12:52 AM   #82
ElisabethH

I have to go to the hospital managing the trial - it's about an hour for me too, and they don't fast track me through ecg or onco consult which means I spend a lot of time there. For instance I have to have an ecg on the 15th and the onco appt on the 16th because for some reason they don't 'do' ecgs on the 16th.... VERY annoying - I teach at a University so will still be on holiday, but I'm definitely thinking twice about continuing, but mainly because of the diarrhea...
ElisabethH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2010, 10:50 AM   #83
KRISS

I don't find it too bad. My Onc sets up my bloodwork, ekg, muga and his visit on the same day and usually takes 1/2 the day. The fact that after the first visit or 2 you go to every three months makes it doable for me. I have been taken off and put back on twice now and am doing fine. Once was for the diarreaha and the other due to major drop in muga. You just kinda have to look at it as paying forward. Good luck to you.
PARTIAL 12/18/06
HER2+ /ER+(75%) PR+(5%)
4 DD AC CHEMO STARTING 1/10/07
4 DD Taxol Starting 3/5/07
1year weekly Herceptin starting 3/5/07
finished 2/18/08
changed to every 3 weeks 4/23/07
completed 33 radiation treatments 7/6/07
TAH and BSO 9/24/07
start Femarra 10/8/07
Started Neritinib trial 12/14/09
KRISS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2010, 12:56 PM   #84
v-ness

that sounds OK and doable. even though boston is farther than worcester or hartford, the likelihood of being in a better hospital is greater. dana farber or something. plus my sister lives out there and i could make it a social/medical visit. like you, i believe in paying it forward. i've given gifts to others with breast cancer, but helping test a drug that could help save lives - what a true gift that would be for so many more people. valerie
blood clot from trains and planes 5/2014 so on coumadin per onco for as long as i am on tamoxifen
tamoxifen was supposed to be up with my 5 yrs in may but my boyfriend was diagnosed with stage 4 colon cancer so i am staying on tamoxifen indefinitely because i want some ammo against BC, given the stress. lost my husband in only 10 wks in 2007 to stage 4 esophageal cancer.
Old 09-07-2010, 03:01 AM   #85
Victory

hi ladies,

i have been asked to participate in Neratinib trial here in New Zealand, by reading your messages i know that diarrhea is the most common side effect. But I read that it may also changes the liver function. For those of you who are taking neratinib for more than six months does it cause any liver problem? Thanks to all of you.

Victoria
Victory is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2010, 07:28 PM   #86
kiwigirl

Location: Matakana which is one hour north of Auckland, New Zealand.

Hi Victoria. Welcome I to live in New Zealand I just wanted to say hello. Sorry I can't answer your question there are lots of knowledgeable people on this sight who may be able to help.

Regards
Jacqui
March 2010 continued on Herception untill 16 Dec 2010
May 2010 Ultra Sound .... ALL CLEAR... NED
August 2010 started vaccine trial University of Washington
7th Dec 2010 finished vaccine trial
20th Dec 2010 Port removed
3rd Feb no longer ned brain mets
23r Feb start VMAT radiation
August 2011 two new mets to brain and others starting to grow again !!!!
August start tykerb and xeloda
Dec 1 MRI all small brain mets gone. Largest shrunk by 50% only three small ones to go 17mm,8mm,6mm. Mets on there way out. Yeah
kiwigirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2010, 07:44 PM   #87
candlegranny

I am so confused. I saw my oncologist today and asked him about clinical trials that I could be involved in. I am half way thru my radiation treatments. I have had 14 treatments and 16 more to do. he told me i didnt qualifiy for any clincal trials cause they did the standard treatment on me and it worked. I am in remission he said. but i feel helpless just waiting to see if it will return. has anyone heard of this? i thoiught you can go in trials if you are NED.. but doc said what would we prove if there was no cancer to test trial drug on? anyone heard of this? so I dont need a trial? i am a little confused on this. thanks for your input.... bonita
2.7 cm 18/31 nodes
mets to just above collar bone ( 2 nodes showed in PET)
ER- PR - / Her2 +++ (IHC) Stage 111 C
ki-67 60% nottingham score 7
A/C chemo mar 22,2010 DD
herceptin & taxotere DD june 1,2010
finished taxotere july 12, 2010
finished herceptin 16 May 2011
PET Scan 9 Aug 10, cancer in neck is gone! NED
33 Rads completed 1 Oct 2010
PET/CT Scan 6 Jan 2011 NED
PET/CT Scan 3 Aug 2011
MUGA 59% 3/22/10 -63% 9/23/10 - 51% 1/4/11 - 55% 2/17/11 - 50% 8/3/11
26 Aug 2011 NED
20 Feb 2012 NED
5 Mar 2012 PORT OUT
12 July 2012 DIEP breast reconstruction
23 Aug 2012 NED
15 Nov 2012 new breast tweeked and natural breast uplifted and implant added
17 Feb 2013 NED
27 mar 2013 lipo suction to add fat cells to new breast in hopes for needed adjustment.

"Don't spend your time worrying about when or how you are going to die, spend your time figuring out how you are going to live today". ~Elizabeth Edwards.
candlegranny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2010, 05:36 AM   #88
Sandra in GA

It depends on the kind pf trial. With the vaccine trial I just completed, you have to be NED and have completed your last standard treatment (Herceptin) within six months. They are looking to see if you have recurrances and follow you for five years. Maybe your rad onc was talking about radiation trials.
Chemo: A/C; Taxol/Herceptin/Tykerb; phase II study at Mayo adding Tykerb for early stage
Radiation: 25 rads
Vaccine: Walter Reed GP2/AE37 vaccine study ~ last booster 9/17/2012
Sandra in GA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2010, 09:01 AM   #89
Jackie07

Bonita,

Since you are on Herceptin till next June (1 year), you won't be considered for clinical trial until you finish the one-year Herceptin.

Think of yourself as being in the giant, clinical trial and you are assigned to the arm using Herceptin to treat Her2 breast cancer. And the trial has shown that Herceptin works on you (because of the neck node disappearance.) That's a very good news.

NICU 4.4 LB
Erythema Nodosum 85
Life-long Central Neurocytoma 4x5x6.5 cm 23 hrs 62090 semi-coma 10 d PT OT ST 30 d
3 Infertility tmts 99 > 3 u. fibroids > Pills
CN 3 GKRS 52301
IDC 1.2 cm Her2 +++ ER 5% R. Lmptmy SLNB+1 71703 6 FEC 33 R Tamoxifen
Recc IIB 2.5 cm Bi-L Mast 61407 2/9 nds PET
6 TCH Cellulitis - Lymphedema - compression sleeve & glove
H w x 4 MUGA 51 D, J 49 M
Diastasis recti
Tamoxifen B. scan
Irrtbl bowel 1'09
Colonoscopy 313
BRCA1 V1247I
hptc hemangioma
Vertigo
GI - > yogurt
hysterectomy/oophorectomy 011410
Exemestane 25 mg tab 102912 ~ 101016 stopped due to r. hip/l.thigh pain after long walk
DEXA 1/13
1-2016 lesions in liver largest 9mm & 1.3 cm onco. says not cancer.
3-11 Appendectomy - visually O.K., a lot of puss. Final path result - not cancer.
Start Vitamin D3 and Calcium supplement (600mg x2)
10-10 Stopped Exemestane due to r. hip/l.thigh pain OKed by Onco 11-08-2016
7-23-2018 9 mm groundglass nodule within the right lower lobe with indolent behavior. Due to possible adenocarcinoma, Recommend annual surveilence.
7-10-2019 CT to check lung nodule.
1-10-2020 8mm stable nodule on R Lung, two 6mm new ones on L Lung, a possible lymph node involvement in inter fissule.
"I WANT TO BE AN OUTRAGEOUS OLD WOMAN WHO NEVER GETS CALLED AN OLD LADY. I WANT TO GET SHARP EDGED & EARTH COLORED, TILL I FADE AWAY FROM PURE JOY." Irene from Tampa

Advocacy is a passion .. not a pastime - Joe

Last edited by Jackie07; 09-11-2010 at 09:03 AM..
Jackie07 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2010, 05:35 PM   #90
KristyAnn

I am on the early stage trial and will actually finish on Oct 7. I take 160 mg after being dose reduced twice due to severe diarrhea which resulted in really low potassium levels. I have not had any change in liver function or my MUGA but I was dose reduced really early - dont know if that made a difference or not.

For the early stage trial you have to be NED and finished with a year of herceptin I believe.
KristyAnn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2010, 06:46 PM   #91
v-ness

what a shame. they no longer want anyone who was diagnosed stage 1. i was looking forward to applying, despite the unfortunate side effects. oh well. valerie
Old 10-10-2010, 04:54 PM   #92
morkmunoz

I just started the trial last Wednesday and am thinking I have received the "real thing". I've had diarrhea since the second day, which my oncologist was hoping for. Imodium seems to be controlling it well. I also am having some nausea. I did fine with Herceptin and am hoping the side effects will slowly diminish. How have others done on it? I am new to this site and am anxious to talk with other women.
morkmunoz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2010, 09:35 AM   #93
KristyAnn

I just finished the trial on Oct 7- I had severe side effects so we knew I was on the real drug, was dose reduced twice and finally managed at 160 mg (4 pills)- I had diarrhea until the last month and controlled it mostly through avoidance of milk products and extremely high fiber meals.
KristyAnn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2010, 05:55 PM   #94
morkmunoz

Well, I ended up getting out of the trial. My side effects were so severe that I couldn't function. I didn't like the idea of taking extra medication just to ward off the side effects of the first medication. In a way I feel I am giving up too quickly, but the side effects were worse than all my chemo side effects put together and then I had to take 3 months off of work! Was quiting stupid? I am struggling with my decision!
morkmunoz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2010, 12:30 PM   #95
Savta

I am glad to report that I am nearing the half way mark--almost six months since I started the trial. The first month or two were pretty difficult. But I just kept in mind that I was doing all I could to prevent recurrance. I still have a few bouts of diarrhea two or three times a week. But I can say, it NEVER prevented me to do the things I wanted to do. I travel, and go on outings--always checking out where the rest rooms are--but I carry on. And I know that whatever lies ahead, I have done as much as I can to stay well.
Another thing--after seeing the movie "Living Proof" I kept thinking where we would all be if those women hadn't taken part in the early trials for Herceptin. Before I began, I made up my mind that there was also a moral obligation to do all I could, to make sure my daughter, and granddaughters would have a cure--if G-d forbid, they needed it.
It's easy to be optimistic when you're feeling good--and like I said, I never felt I couldn't cope. But if you'll refer back to one of my earlier posts--after one month on the trial--I admitted that 11 months seemed a long way off.
Here's hoping that the decision you make is the best one for you.
Savta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2010, 06:42 PM   #96
DeenaH

I am considering this trial. I would have to drive almost 2 hours to the hospital running the trial (UCSF), but the doctor said I could do all bloodwork here at home. I love going to the city, so it wouldn't be too bad.

I have a question for those of you on the trial. Was Tykerb/Lapatinib an option for you? If so, why did you choose to do the trial instead of Lapatinib? This is the decision I have to make, but I have until January 7th to make it since I am doing rads now. I also have an appointment on November 22nd with Dr. Slamon to get his opinion on Lapatinib vs. Neratinib.
August 20, 2010: PET/CT showed no cancer in any nodes, and only a little uptake to the breast.
September 9, 2010: Bilateral mastectomy with immediate reconstruction with implants and Alloderm.
September 16, 2010: Pathology report showed 18/51 positive axillary nodes, 3.2cm tumor. Granual sized cancer found in the fatty tissue between levels 1 and 2.
October 19, 2010: CT showed several spots on lungs and 1 spot on liver. Liver spot is 2mm, lung spots range from 2mm to 4mm. We don't know if they are cancer or not.
12/15/10: Brain MRI clear
1/7/11: PET/CT
1/13/11: Recurrence in lungs. Start Tykerb
5/13/11: Progression in lungs
6/3/11: Lung surgery to get tumors for chemosensitivity testing.
DeenaH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2010, 03:13 AM   #97
Savta

Lapatinib was not offered to me. At the time, the trial for Lapatinib was offered only as adjuvent therapy, and I, like you had neo-adjuvent. I am now on the Neratinib trial for just over 6 months and doing o.k. I still have several bouts of diarrhea a week, but many days of none. Liver functions and echo-cardiagrams are also o.k. I was just happy to keep fighting any way I could.
I am really interested in knowing what Dr. Slamon's opinion is of Neratinib. All the buzz I hear is really optimistic.
Here's hoping!
Good luck with whatever you decide.
Savta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2010, 03:57 AM   #98
Chelee

DeenaH,
This is just a wild quess on my part but I think some weren't offered the Tykerb/Herceptin combo because it wasn't an approved combo till this last yr or so? When I had a recurrence last yr in 09 I went out to see Dr. Slamon. He recommended Tykerb/Herceptin. After seeing Dr. Slamon I saw two other onc's with good reputations and both of them told me Dr. Slamon was wrong...that I "had" to add a chemo for Tykerb/Herceptin to work. They were both adamant about it.

I called UCLA up and told them what I was being told and was reassured me that this combo works great. Not long after that it came out at that yrs ASCO conference that it was now an approved combo with good results. Some of these onc's are just not up to date it seems on alot of the newer drugs and combo's. UCLA as you know is cutting edge! So that is my theory on why many of these ladies weren't offered Tykerb first. Many onc's don't even know this combo works. Hopefully some will chime in.

Chelee
Finished yr of wkly herceptin 3-19-07
3-15-07 Lt side prophylactic simple mastectomy. -- Ooph 4-05-07
9-21-09 PET/CT "Recurrence" to Rt. axllia, Rt. femur, ilium. Possible Sacrum & liver? Now stage IV.
9-28-09 Loading dose of Herceptin & started Zometa
9-29-09 Power Port Placement
10-24-09 Mass 6.4 x 4.7 cm on Rt. femur head.
11-19-09 RT. Femur surgery - Rod placed
12-7-09 Navelbine added to Herceptin/Zometa.
3-23-10 Ten days of rads to RT femur. Completed.
4-05-10 Quit Navelbine--Herceptin/Zometa alone.
5-4-10 Appt. with Dr. Slamon to see what is next? Waiting on FISH results from femur biopsy.
Results to FISH was unsuccessful--this happens less then 2% of the time.
7-7-10 Recurrence to RT axilla again. Back to UCLA for options.
Chelee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2010, 03:41 PM   #99
DeenaH

That is interesting Chelee. That makes me feel even better about my onc, since she was the first one who suggested the Tykerb/Herceptin combo. I also talked to her the other day about the UCSF trial with Neratinib. She would be behind either option, but also really wants to know what Slamon thinks. It does make sense that I can't work backwards. If I try the trial, I can always switch to Tykerb/Herceptin, but I can't do it the other way around if the combo doesn't work, or I progress on it. Taking Tykerb automatically disqualifies me from the trial. Decisions, decisions! I am just feeling so blessed that I have options like this.
August 20, 2010: PET/CT showed no cancer in any nodes, and only a little uptake to the breast.
September 9, 2010: Bilateral mastectomy with immediate reconstruction with implants and Alloderm.
September 16, 2010: Pathology report showed 18/51 positive axillary nodes, 3.2cm tumor. Granual sized cancer found in the fatty tissue between levels 1 and 2.
October 19, 2010: CT showed several spots on lungs and 1 spot on liver. Liver spot is 2mm, lung spots range from 2mm to 4mm. We don't know if they are cancer or not.
12/15/10: Brain MRI clear
1/7/11: PET/CT
1/13/11: Recurrence in lungs. Start Tykerb
5/13/11: Progression in lungs
6/3/11: Lung surgery to get tumors for chemosensitivity testing.
DeenaH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2011, 03:56 AM   #100
ElisabethH

Smile Re: Neratinib Clinical Trial

Hi all

I went for my 6 month check in December and all was fine. The last two bloods have shown low protein, probably because I'm living on a diet of pasta! have found I can eat salads and vegetables as long as I have carbs as well. Diarrhea down to almost 0. Had fish and chips the other day when visiting London and that was disastrous - maybe it's the deep frying? Did seem to have trouble with scallops on New Year's Eve, so maybe it's a fish thing.
As to the liver question - I have had to sign a new agreement as I was told someone on the trial had died of liver failure, but I was assured the person was taking Neratinib alongside chemotherapy, which I am not. I now have to have a liver function blood test every six weeks which is a bit of a pain, but my onco is going to use the next one on the 27th to check the tumour markers as well, so not a wasted visit. Liver function fine so far.
It's good to think I've passed the 6 months, but somehow I may miss the attention when it is all over!
ElisabethH is offline   Reply With Quote