HonCode

Go Back   HER2 Support Group Forums > her2group
Register Gallery FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts

Old 02-29-2008, 05:47 PM   #1
Liz J.

Unhappy Lost my Golden

Hi All,

I know I have not posted much, and I know we all have so many things going on but I just had to share with you that we had to say goodbye to our beautiful Golden Retriever "Red" last week. I have made one post since on a bc topic, but I have not been able to write about this until tonight. She was the most beautiful girl. She looked very much like Suzanne W.'s golden. Red would have been 12 in 2 weeks. She had the life of a princess in our home. We have another golden, Erin, who is 10. She is the one who has several health issues, the most severe is her hip dysplasia. It is heartbreaking to watch Erin missing her sister. I won't get into details, but it was all fairly quick and I know she is at the Rainbow Bridge.
I have lost several pets through the years, but this time was the most difficult. She got us through so many trying times. We are grateful for the 12 years we had her. The final diagnosis was cancer. She never showed a sign until her last few days. Thank you for understanding.

Sincerely,

Liz J.
Liz J. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-29-2008, 06:01 PM   #2
harrie

Liz, I am so very sorry to hear about Red. You must have all shared an tremendous amount of love together. I am glad to hear that she did well until those few days when it was time to go. Harrie

1993: right side DCIS, lumpectomy, rads
1999: left side DCIS, lumpectomy, rads, tamoxifen

2006:
BRCA 2 positive
Stage I, invasive DCIS (6mm x 5mm)
Grade: intermediate
sentinal node biopsy: neg
HER2/neu amplified 4.7
ER+/PR+
TOPO II neg
Oncotype dx 20
Bilat mastectomy with DIEP flap reconstruction
oophorectomy

2007:
6 cycles TCH (taxotere, carboplatin, herceptin)
finished 1 yr herceptin 05/07
Arimidex, stopped after almost 1 yr
Femara
harrie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-29-2008, 06:12 PM   #3
Lolly

Liz, I know how you're feeling. We have lost several very much loved dogs very suddenly, and the shock and grief is hard. Hope you can come to remember the good days, not the sad ones, and remember that her protective spirit will always be with you, at least that's what I think about our two dear ones.

<3 Lolly
Sept.'99 - Dx.Stage IIIB, IDC ER/PR-, HER2+++ by IHC, confirmed '04 by FISH. Left MRM, AC x's 4, Taxol x's 4, 33 Rads, finishing Tx May 2000. Jan.'01 - local/regional recurrence, Stage IV. Herceptin/Navelbine weekly till NED August 2001, then maintenance Herceptin. Right Mast. April 2002. Local/Regional recurrence April '04, Herceptin plus/minus chemo until May '07. Gemzar added from Feb.'07-April '07; Tykerb/Abraxane until August '07, back on Herceptin plus Taxotere and Xeloda Sept. '07. Stopped T/X Nov. '07, stopped Herceptin Dec. '07, started Avastin/Taxol/Carboplatin Dec. '07. Progression in chest skin, stopped TAC March '03, started radiation.

Herceptin has served as the "Backbone" of my treatment strategy for over 6 years, giving me great quality of life. In 2005, I was privileged to participate in the University of Washington/Seattle HER2 Vaccine Trial.
Lolly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-29-2008, 06:20 PM   #4
Chelee

Liz, From one animal lover to another...my heart goes out to you. Its always so hard when we lose one of our fur kids. I don't care how young or old they are, its always far to soon when we have to say goodbye to them. The pain can be un-bearable. I know this is going to be a very difficult time for you and the family...which includes poor Erin. May the wonderful memories you have of Red help ease some of the pain. My throughts are with you now , & I send you my deepest sympathy.

Chelee
Finished yr of wkly herceptin 3-19-07
3-15-07 Lt side prophylactic simple mastectomy. -- Ooph 4-05-07
9-21-09 PET/CT "Recurrence" to Rt. axllia, Rt. femur, ilium. Possible Sacrum & liver? Now stage IV.
9-28-09 Loading dose of Herceptin & started Zometa
9-29-09 Power Port Placement
10-24-09 Mass 6.4 x 4.7 cm on Rt. femur head.
11-19-09 RT. Femur surgery - Rod placed
12-7-09 Navelbine added to Herceptin/Zometa.
3-23-10 Ten days of rads to RT femur. Completed.
4-05-10 Quit Navelbine--Herceptin/Zometa alone.
5-4-10 Appt. with Dr. Slamon to see what is next? Waiting on FISH results from femur biopsy.
Results to FISH was unsuccessful--this happens less then 2% of the time.
7-7-10 Recurrence to RT axilla again. Back to UCLA for options.
Chelee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-29-2008, 06:30 PM   #5
Mary Anne in TX

I sit here writing with my little black and white fur pal at my side. It amazes me how much I can love her and her brother Sam. they bark at the wrong times, want to go outside in the middle of the night, and on and on. And yet, I can't imagine anyone or any critter giving more love than they do. You must miss Red terribly. I'm glad you had the years with him that you did. Thank you for sharing the love you had for your own fur friend. ma

Diag. 12/05 at age 60
Stage II, Grade 3, 4.5 cm primary tumor
ER/PR- Her2 +3 strongly positive
Her2 by FISH 7.7 amplified
vascular invasion
Ki67 20% borderline
Jan - March '06 Taxotere/Adriamycin X 3 to try to shrink tumor - it grew
April '06 Rt Modified Radical Mas, 7 of 9 nodes positive
April - Aug. '06 Herceptin/Taxol/Carboplatin X 8 (dose dense)
Sept - Dec. '06 Navelbine/Herceptin x 8 (dose dense)
Radiation & Herceptin Jan. 22 - March 1, 2007
Finished Herceptin Dec. 10 '08! One extra year.
Port removed August, 2012.
8 1/2 years since diagnosis! 5 1/2 Years NED!
Mary Anne in TX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-29-2008, 06:48 PM   #6
PinkGirl

Liz,
There's just something special about those Golden's.
I'm picturing Red running free and strong like the
Purina dog. Sorry for you and your family.

Dx Aug/05 at age 51
2cm. Stage 2A, Grade 3
ER+/PR-
Her2 +++

Sept 7/05 Mastectomy
4 FAC, 4 Taxol, no radiation
1 year of Herceptin
Tamoxifen for approx. 4 months,
Arimidex for 5 years
Prophylactic mastectomy June 22/09

" I yam what I yam." - Popeye

My Photo Album
PinkGirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-29-2008, 06:53 PM   #7
hutchibk

Deepest condolences on your loss. Our furry angels are the hardest ones to let go of. My heart hurts for you. I know that your sweet Red is running and chasing bugs and squirrels in dog heaven, and watching over you and your family every moment.

NOV 2012 - 9 yr anniversary
JULY 2012 - 7 yr anniversary stage IV (of 50...)

Nov'03~ dX stage 2B
Dec'03~
Rt side mastectomy, Her2+, ER/PR+, 10 nodes out, one node positive
Jan'04~
Taxotere/Adria/Cytoxan x 6, NED, no Rads, Tamox. 1 year, Arimadex 3 mo., NED 14 mo.
Sept'05~
micro mets lungs/chest nodes/underarm node, Switched to Aromasin, T/C/H x 7, NED 6 months - Herceptin only
Aug'06~
micro mets chest nodes, & bone spot @ C3 neck, Added Taxol to Herceptin
Feb'07~ Genetic testing, BRCA 1&2 neg

Apr'07~
MRI - two 9mm brain mets & 5 punctates, new left chest met, & small increase of bone spot C3 neck, Stopped Aromasin
May'07~
Started Tykerb/Xeloda, no WBR for now
June'07~
MRI - stable brain mets, no new mets, 9mm spots less enhanced, CA15.3 down 45.5 to 9.3 in 10 wks, Ty/Xel working magic!
Aug'07~
MRI - brain mets shrunk half, NO NEW BRAIN METS!!, TMs stable @ 9.2
Oct'07~
PET/CT & MRI show NED
Apr'08~
scans still show NED in the head, small bone spot on right iliac crest (rear pelvic bone)
Sept'08~
MRI shows activity in brain mets, completed 5 fractions/5 consecutive days of IMRT to zap the pesky buggers
Oct'08~
dropped Xeloda, switched to tri-weekly Herceptin in combo with Tykerb, extend to tri-monthly Zometa infusion
Dec'08~
Brain MRI- 4 spots reduced to punctate size, large spot shrunk by 3mm, CT of torso clear/pelvis spot stable
June'09~
new 3-4mm left cerrebellar spot zapped with IMRT targeted rads
Sept'09~
new 6mm & 1 cm spots in pituitary/optic chiasm area. Rx= 25 days of 3D conformal fractionated targeted IMRT to the tumors.
Oct'09~
25 days of low dose 3D conformal fractionated targeted IMRT to the bone mets spot on rt. iliac crest that have been watching for 2 years. Added daily Aromasin back into treatment regimen.
Apr'10~ Brain MRI clear! But, see new small spot on adrenal gland. Change from Aromasin back to Tamoxifen.
June'10~ Tumor markers (CA15.3) dropped from 37 to 23 after one month on Tamoxifen. Continue to monitor adrenal gland spot. Remain on Tykerb/Herceptin/Tamoxifen.
Nov'10~ Radiate positive mediastinal node that was pressing on recurrent laryngeal nerve, causing paralyzed larynx and a funny voice.
Jan'11~ MRI shows possible activity or perhaps just scar tissue/necrotic increase on 3 previously treated brain spots and a pituitary spot. 5 days of IMRT on 4 spots.
Feb'11~ Enrolled in T-DM1 EAP in Denver, first treatment March 25, 2011.
Mar'11~ Finally started T-DM1 EAP in Denver at Rocky Mountain Cancer Center/Rose on Mar. 25... hallelujah.

"I would rather be anecdotally alive than statistically dead."
hutchibk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-29-2008, 06:55 PM   #8
Bill

I'm so sorry, Liz. Back in April of 2007, we had to put our Rottweiler down. He had lost the use of his back legs, pretty much, the hip displasia. He was 12 years old, too, but still had that puppy spirit. I know how hard it is. Love, Bill
Bill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-29-2008, 07:06 PM   #9
IRENE FROM TAMPA

Smile So sorry about Red

Liz - our pets are so special to us and I know how much it hurts when we have to say goodbye to them. I have always had animals in my home and each time it is so difficult. Although I have loved them all, there are a few that have a special place in my heart. My current little Chelsea is a Maltese and is going to be 18 years old in July. She is blind and can't hear very well but she continues to have a good appetite and other wise seems ok. The vet say's that her heart is not bad for her age. We have to carry her from one room to the next since she cant move around without getting lost. It is so sad to see. But she has been such a wonderful companion to us and so loyal and has loved us unconditionally (and I can hardly write this without getting emotional right now)

Sorry, I don't mean to make you even more sad but wanted to tell you that I know how your heart must be breaking right now and am so sorry.
I too see her running through the fields looking oh so beautiful and free.

Take care my friend
TREAT: STEM CELL REPLACEMENT/HERCEPTIN.
2002 - RECUR TO LIVER
TREAT: NAVELBINE, THEN GEMZAR, THEN XELODA.
2004 - TUMORS STILL IN LIVER
TREAT: RFA TO LIVER
STABLE UNTIL
2004 - TUMOR PROGRESSION IN LIVER.
TREAT: RESECT HALF OF LIVER.
2005 - RECURR TO LYMPH NODE OUTSIDE OF LIVER.
TREAT: TAXOL/CARPO/HERCEPTIN. FAILED ON
THIS TRIO. STARTED ON ABRAXANE.
2006 - PROGRESS WITH 2ND TUMOR GROWTH.
TREAT: AUG. BEGAN ON TYKERB/XELODA
TRIAL. CONSIDERED STABLE TO DATE.
2007 - TAKEN OFF OF TYKERB/XELODA TRIAL DUE TO
PROGRESS STARTING TYKERB/AVASTIN.
NOV 2007 - SCANS SHOW PROGRESS TUMOR GROWTH
IN ABDOM. AND TWO NEW TUMORS IN NECK AREA.
BEGAN HERCEPTIN/AVASTIN/TAXOTERE
Feb 08 - Ixempra/Xeloda
June 08 - Her/DM1 trial

"I WANT TO BE AN OUTRAGEOUS OLD WOMAN WHO NEVER GETS CALLED AN OLD LADY. I WANT TO GET SHARP EDGED & EARTH COLORED, TILL I FADE AWAY FROM PURE JOY."
IRENE FROM TAMPA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-29-2008, 09:30 PM   #10
Karen W

Gosh Liz, I am so sorry about your beautiful girl. I hope your heart feels better soon.

Hugs,

Karen
Karen W is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-29-2008, 09:32 PM   #11
Bev

So sorry Liz. If there's another place, they will be with us when we get there. They just might be with you now. You know they wouldn't want you to be sad. Bev
Bev is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-29-2008, 09:51 PM   #12
Soccermom

My sincerest condolences on the loss of your Beloved "Red"...I understand the pain of losing one of our furry family memebers.

Marcia
Soccermom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-29-2008, 09:56 PM   #13
Jackie07

When my 'Puppy' left us, our Vet sent us the 'Rainbow Bridege' printed on a colorful paper with a portion of the rainbow showing above the clouds. I wonder if it is a common practice here? It was very, very comforting to me at the time. We always talk about families and loved ones reunite in heaven, but I had never thought about the pets until I received the letter from the Vet. At the end it stated: "Puppy Dog was a very special part of our family too."

Thank you for your posting. That brings back the memory of my cute little Poodle. She showed up at the doorstep after my first brain surgery... I firmly believe she was sent from Heaven...

NICU 4.4 LB
Erythema Nodosum 85
Life-long Central Neurocytoma 4x5x6.5 cm 23 hrs 62090 semi-coma 10 d PT OT ST 30 d
3 Infertility tmts 99 > 3 u. fibroids > Pills
CN 3 GKRS 52301
IDC 1.2 cm Her2 +++ ER 5% R. Lmptmy SLNB+1 71703 6 FEC 33 R Tamoxifen
Recc IIB 2.5 cm Bi-L Mast 61407 2/9 nds PET
6 TCH Cellulitis - Lymphedema - compression sleeve & glove
H w x 4 MUGA 51 D, J 49 M
Diastasis recti
Tamoxifen B. scan
Irrtbl bowel 1'09
Colonoscopy 313
BRCA1 V1247I
hptc hemangioma
Vertigo
GI - > yogurt
hysterectomy/oophorectomy 011410
Exemestane 25 mg tab 102912 ~ 101016 stopped due to r. hip/l.thigh pain after long walk
DEXA 1/13
1-2016 lesions in liver largest 9mm & 1.3 cm onco. says not cancer.
3-11 Appendectomy - visually O.K., a lot of puss. Final path result - not cancer.
Start Vitamin D3 and Calcium supplement (600mg x2)
10-10 Stopped Exemestane due to r. hip/l.thigh pain OKed by Onco 11-08-2016
7-23-2018 9 mm groundglass nodule within the right lower lobe with indolent behavior. Due to possible adenocarcinoma, Recommend annual surveilence.
7-10-2019 CT to check lung nodule.
1-10-2020 8mm stable nodule on R Lung, two 6mm new ones on L Lung, a possible lymph node involvement in inter fissule.
"I WANT TO BE AN OUTRAGEOUS OLD WOMAN WHO NEVER GETS CALLED AN OLD LADY. I WANT TO GET SHARP EDGED & EARTH COLORED, TILL I FADE AWAY FROM PURE JOY." Irene from Tampa

Advocacy is a passion .. not a pastime - Joe
Jackie07 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-29-2008, 10:22 PM   #14
goops

I am sorry to hear of your loss, I lost my favorite dog to cancer just as I was diagnosed with cancer, I had 4 dogs but he was the youngest he was only 8. He was blind and had leg problems so I was used to carrying him down the stairs, it just doesn't seem right going down the stairs without Cody in my arms. He was a Malti-poo.

I know the kind of loss your feeling and offer you my deepest sympathies.

Help my city grow:

http://goopsville.myminicity.com/ind/
goops is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2008, 05:41 AM   #15
Sheila

Liz
As a dog lover I feel your pain and know how difficult a time like this is... my 2 black labs are sisters from the same littler, Sophie and Sadie...best friends, we bought them when we had to have outr chocolate put down a couple years ago...she too was diagnosed with cancer...one of us in the house seemed to be enough with the big C....although I miss her till this day, these 2 have warmed my heart and my feet may nights....I often worry about if something happened to one how the other would do, they are truly so attached....maybe a new puppy would ease the pain and give your other golden some happiness.....sending you a big hug at a very difficult time.

Hugs & Blessings
Sheila
Diagnosed at age 49.99999 2/21/2002 via Mammography (Calcifications)
Core Biopsy 2/22/02
L. Mastectomy 2/25/2002
Stage 1, 0.7cm IDC, Node Neg from 19 nodes Her2+++ ER PR Neg
6/2003 Reconstruction W/ Tissue Expander, Silicone Implant
9/2003 Stage IV with Mets to Supraclavicular nodes
9/2003 Began Herceptin every 3 weeks
3/2006 Xeloda 2500mg/Herceptin for recurrence to neck nodes
3/2007 Added back the Xeloda with Herceptin for continued mets to nodes
5/2007 Taken Off Xeloda, no longer working
6/14/07 Taxol/Herceptin/Avastin
3/26 - 5/28/08 Taxol Holiday Whopeeeeeeeee
5/29 2008 Back on Taxol w Herceptin q 2 weeks
4/2009 Progression on Taxol & Paralyzed L Vocal Cord from Nodes Pressing on Nerve
5/2009 Begin Rx with Navelbine/Herceptin
11/09 Progression on Navelbine
Fought for and started Tykerb/Herceptin...nodes are melting!!!!!
2/2010 Back to Avastin/Herceptin
5/2010 Switched to Metronomic Chemo with Herceptin...Cytoxan and Methotrexate
Pericardial Window Surgery to Drain Pericardial Effusion
7/2010 Back to walking a mile a day...YEAH!!!!
9/2010 Nodes are back with a vengence in neck
Qualified for TDM-1 EAP
10/6/10 Begin my miracle drug, TDM-1
Mixed response, shrinking internal nodes, progression skin mets after 3 treatments
12/6/10 Started Halaven (Eribulen) /Herceptin excellent results in 2 treatments
2/2011 I CELEBRATE my 9 YEAR MARK!!!!!!!!!!!!!
7/5/11 begin Gemzar /Herceptin for node progression
2/8/2012 Gemzar stopped, Continue Herceptin
2/20/2012 Begin Tomo Radiation to Neck Nodes
2/21/2012 I CELEBRATE 10 YEARS
5/12/2012 BeganTaxotere/ Herceptin is my next miracle for new node progression
6/28/12 Stopped Taxotere due to pregression, Started Perjeta/Herceptin
Sheila is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2008, 07:35 AM   #16
sarah

Dear Liz,
So sorry to hear about Red. Dogs are such special friends - the best in many ways. Humans could learn a lot from them - goodness, kindness, loyalty, affection, happiness, love. They should live longer. I remember my past 5 friends with love.
2 quotes you might enjoy:
"Dogs are not our whole life, but they make our lives whole. "

"My goal in life is to be as good a person as my dog already thinks I am."

Hugs and love Sarah and Tania, best friend and 3 year old Griffon mix from the local refuge.
<o></o>
sarah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2008, 07:57 AM   #17
Hopeful

Dear Liz,

My thoughts are with you in your time of grief. I lost a beloved pet to cancer in 1996, and still tear up thinking about him. I hope you are feeling better soon.

Hopeful
Hopeful is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2008, 05:23 PM   #18
Carol Carlson

Liz,
I am so sorry to hear about the loss of your beloved dog. Having lost our yellow lab." Annie" last July from lymphoma, I know the pain you are feeling. She was my best friend in the world world and I would often tell her that. She also listened to everything I said, even the trivia.
I love the Rainbow Bridge site. That helped.
I have several pictures of her around the house..... one very special one of she and my 4 y.o. granddaughter who also loved her.
Your precious dog will always be in your heart.
Carol
Carol Carlson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2008, 04:02 PM   #19
G. Ann

I am very sorry for your loss--In sharing your gift of Red with us, you've reminded all of us of the pets we loved and said goodbye to, and the ones that we are still blessed to have.

We lost our German short-hair pointer to lymphoma in 2002. My daughter sent me a children's book, "Dog Heaven," by Cynthia Rylant--colorful illustrations and comforting words. We now share our home with a wonderful "rescue" Aussie since 2003, but, in fact, he "rescued" me in 2004 with my BC diagnosis. The author also wrote a book for cats. Hope you can find it in the library or bookstore.
Stage 2, 0/18 nodes
TX 4 AC (no taxanes, no radiation)
Hysterectomy 10/04
Began Herceptin 1/06, finished 1/07
G. Ann is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2008, 12:10 PM   #20
Believe51

Location: RHODE ISLAND (Ed getting me a latte on 2nd Cancerversary Cruise 2008) 'BELIEVE': To accept as true or real, To have faith in, To presume ALWAYS BELIEVE
Arrow Sweet Liz

Dearest Liz, I am so sorry for the loss of your dear Red. I know how this pain can sear a hole right in your heart. Knowing this I wish I could make it better for you. With time you may want to adopt another dog; your heart will let you know when you are ready. I do know the void you are experiencing right now and there is no loss like this.

Three weeks before my husband was diagnosed we were taking a ride talking, crying. Our female cat Casey was a bit under the weather and we were booking an appointment for her; we knew it was not good. And yes Liz, she had a primary breast cancer, go figure!! We never knew she was ill. She had taken me from the depths of depression and helped me to heal from a very bad car accident. I was out of work for 2 years and slowly sold my entire catering business with much hurt. It was her who helped me to live through my health issues and to become the new person I was now after selling the business! It is so wonderful the role they play in our lives and hearts.

Pets are amazing people aren't they?? They are people with fur (smiling). It has been 18 months without her here but we talk about her almost daily. Thanks for making me take a moment to share your pain of losing a family member and also to remember my girl who lives on in my heart.

Hope you are feeling better soon, my heart aches for you>>Believe51

PS: Animals are silent sufferers and it is not always easy to know when they are ill, please do not feel guilty about this. Even when we are in tune with these furry creatures they never want us to see they are sick.
9/7/06Husband 50yrs=StageIV IBC/HER2+,BoneMets10/06TaxotereX10,'H'1X wk,Zometa,Tamoxifen4/12/07Last Tax5/18/07Pet=Rapid Cell Activity,No Organ Mets,Lytic Lesions,Degeneration,Some Bone Repair5/07ChemoFail6/01/07Pleural Thoracentisis=Effusions,NoMalignantCells6/19/07+7/2/07DFCI
6/25/07BrainMRI=BrainMets,Many<9mm7/10/07WBR/PelvisRad37.5Gx15&Nutritionist8/19/07T/X9/20/07BrainMRI=2<2mm10/6/07Pet=BoneProgression
10/24/07ChemoFail11/9/07A/Cx10,EndTam12/7/07Faslodex12/10/07Muga7512/13/07BlasticLesions1/7/08BrainMRI=Clear4/1/08Pet=BoneImprovement,
NoProgression,Stable4/7/08BrainPerfect5/16/08Last A/C8/26/08BrainMets=10(<9mm)9/10/08Gamma10/30/08Met=5mm12/19/08Gamma5mets5
12/22/08SpinalMets1/14/09SpinalRads2/17/09BrainMRI=NoNewMets4/20/09BoneScan5/14/09Ixempra6/1/09BrainMRI=NumerousMets6/24/09DFCIw/DrBurstein6/26/09Continue
Ixempra/Faslodex/Zometa~TM now lower7/17/09Stop Ixempra By Choice9/21/09HOSPICE10/16/09Earned His Deserved Wings And Halo=37 Month Fight w/Stage 4 IBC, Her2+++,My Hero!!

Last edited by Believe51; 03-04-2008 at 10:30 AM.. Reason: boo-boo~slip of the fingers
Believe51 is offline   Reply With Quote