HonCode

Go Back   HER2 Support Group Forums > her2group
Register Gallery FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 08-22-2009, 09:29 PM   #1
pattyz

Update: Spinal Fluid me

Here is an udate email I've just sent out:

Once again, I apologize for the 'blanket' email... but it seems easier for me and all who don't know what's been going on every day...A LOT!!!

Many hospital visists and stays. Went to ER on July 31 on "Order" of Onc's nurse. Checked out Aug. 17 all at one hosp. Had a PowerPort put in on the13th, but needed to replace whole IV UNIT first as it was messed up... cool docs all around. Tho' the one IV Gal had nothing BUT probs, she INSISTED on another 5 mins, I gave her 1 and watched. She did it in 1 !!! I was so happy/proud for her...

Home late Mon. Aug. 17 and that night, got caught in my queen wicker bed. It was NOT my eighteen day hosp. bed and dark as pitch. I am weak as can be, had to pee, get out of a non-protected bed...and it just tried to eat me. Leg/shin shows it.

So, on the 20th, I was back in the ER and Hosp. closest to us, smaller. It's attached to the offices where I see my onc, now. Didn't realize how lacking I was in any strength or coordination or ability to do for myself. Home yesterday to a brand new hosp. bed, along with the new potty top so I can USE the potty, and the new walker from the 17th. No bed traps!

And this is why all of the above: I had a spinal tap late July 31st.
My breast CA has moved one last? time into my spinal fluid. It was confirmed on Thur. 6th and my first TX by spine IV w/Methotrexate was the next day. My 'schedule' is to be 2x's a wk. Yet my platelets have dropped to 57,000, not found a fit yet for a transfusion, so missed the 4th one witch was set to try on the 18th and again on the 21st. Hope to do the whole draw, look see, and 4th TX day after tomorrow: MON. the 24th.

It is to quote: "The End of the Line". Or maybe: "End Stage BC Mets". Not sure really what it is called, yet I DO KNOW THE PROGNOSIS is a mere 12-to MAYBE 18 months. However, I was lucky enough to 'know' one gal who went on keeping on for just about two yrs. One super great gal.

So far, it (the chemo) is looking like it may be working a tiny bit. It is a tiny bit easier for me to talk AND to be mostly understood...IF I TALK SLOW and remember to enunciate each word. NOW, I get to look forward to riding a cart at Walmart, not frown on those who do, looking like they don't NEED one. Hoping I won't fall out!!!

Please don't be too sad or scared... Such is life and death. And, I don't think there is any 'true' death as we see it, anyway. I see me still providing some kind of nurishment to that or those that are in need of just what I have to offer. I am mostly feeling just 'out of it'. No consistent pain above a three, blurry vision nothing helps, some mouth sores, more pills!!!

The Decadron has ' kicked in '. Thus: better appetite with some weight gain at 101.5 lbs. rather than the low of 97.7. And wrinkles are filling in, making my age 60 look a tiny bit younger! At least I don;t look older than my Lyle's 72, so there!

Know I love and respect you ALL.
With much solid affection and many tight hugs,
XOXOXOXOXOXOXOXOXOpatty
pattyz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2009, 10:05 PM   #2
StephN

Re: Update: Spinal Fluid me

Dear Pattyz -
Was about to "call you out" and find out where you have been keeping yourself. But you have explained all with your normal thoroughness. Those hospital stays can be brutal. Home is much better.

My summer has been super busy, but I had noticed a hint at your condition in another post a ways back and wanted to get a follow up.

I know you will grit your teeth and gut this one out.

Did you already have the research in hand for this development?

Be careful with yourself, and am in hope you will get a bit stronger as the next weeks go by and the treatment kicks in.

MY STORY SO FAR ~~~~
Found suspicious lump 9/2000
Lumpectomy, then node dissection and port placement
Stage IIB, 8 pos nodes of 18, Grade 3, ER & PR -
Adriamycin 12 weekly, taxotere 4 rounds
36 rads - very little burning
3 mos after rads liver full of tumors, Stage IV Jan 2002, one spot on sternum
Weekly Taxol, Navelbine, Herceptin for 27 rounds to NED!
2003 & 2004 no active disease - 3 weekly Herceptin + Zometa
Jan 2005 two mets to brain - Gamma Knife on Jan 18
All clear until treated cerebellum spot showing activity on Jan 2006 brain MRI & brain PET
Brain surgery on Feb 9, 2006 - no cancer, 100% radiation necrosis - tumor was still dying
Continue as NED while on Herceptin & quarterly Zometa
Fall-2006 - off Zometa - watching one small brain spot (scar?)
2007 - spot/scar in brain stable - finished anticoagulation therapy for clot along my port-a-catheter - 3 angioplasties to unblock vena cava
2008 - Brain and body still NED! Port removed and scans in Dec.
Dec 2008 - stop Herceptin - Vaccine Trial at U of W begun in Oct. of 2011
STILL NED everywhere in Feb 2014 - on wing & prayer
7/14 - Started twice yearly Zometa for my bones
Jan. 2015 checkup still shows NED
2015 Neuropathy in feet - otherwise all OK - still NED.
Same news for 2016 and all of 2017.
Nov of 2017 - had small skin cancer removed from my face. Will have Zometa end of Jan. 2018.
StephN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2009, 11:16 PM   #3
pattyz

Re: Update: Spinal Fluid me with LEPTO!

Well MS Steph,

If you know something or some one to ask, or a place to look for solid info...PLEASE DO SHARE !!! As I have NOT researched the Lepto at ALL!!! Didn;t want to ofcourse. Didn't want to get it either!!!

I have crumbled in a heap as of June 6th w/ ER and first hospital stay, yet going bad since April (scipped May for some reason? Did a TON of outside work and loved every bit, til the day I crashed on the 30th).

Headaches and gushing vomiting, together and alone from early April thru July and part of Aug.

I HAD to GO straight to my Onc with this one. I was able to understand all he said and suggested; was right there with him in reasoning, testing, meds, the two diff delivery systems...all of it. BUT it was all in his hands this time. The only parts from me: the Power Port put in and some small amount of decision of what to use as treatment and the schedule of it.

He is still looking at Avastin, of which I have had just one infusion before we KNEW it had gone Lepto.........
ANYONE IS FREE TO STEP IN HERE! HOPING FOR THAT, HA!

I think I'm still a black sheep, 'tho.......my fault.

Thank you for still keeping an eye out and replying so quickly, Steph.
Love and hugs,
XOXOXOXOXOpatty

Last edited by pattyz; 08-22-2009 at 11:21 PM.. Reason: emphesis
pattyz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2009, 04:40 AM   #4
Lani

I put leptomeningeal into the Search function above and came up with the following--

^^
07-07-2007, 10:51 AM #1
Lani

for those with brain mets..don't know why it took so long for them to notice!
1: J Neurooncol. 2007 Jul 5; [Epub ahead of print] Links
Capecitabine Therapy of Central Nervous System Metastases from Breast Cancer.

Ekenel M, Hormigo AM, Peak S, Deangelis LM, Abrey LE.
Department of Neurology, Memorial Sloan-Kettering Cancer Center, 1275 York Ave, New York, NY, 10021, USA, ekenelm@mskcc.org.
Central nervous system (CNS) metastases from breast cancer carry a poor prognosis. Systemic chemotherapy is often ineffective due to the impermeability of the blood-brain barrier (BBB) and inherent chemoresistance of CNS metastases. There are limited data supporting the use of capecitabine in this setting. Medical records of seven patients with brain metastases from breast cancer who received capecitabine treatment at Memorial Sloan-Kettering Cancer Center from 1994-2006 were reviewed. Treatment outcomes were analyzed retrospectively in those patients. Median time from breast cancer diagnosis to the development of CNS metastasis was 48 (18-165) months. Four patients had brain metastases alone, two patients had both leptomeningeal and brain metastases and one patient had leptomeningeal metastasis alone. Five out of seven patients had failed other treatment modalities before capecitabine. Three patients showed complete response (CR) and three patients had stable disease (SD) after capecitabine. The patient with leptomeningeal disease improved clinically, but refused repeat cerebrospinal fluid (CSF) studies. Median overall and progression-free survival from initiation of capecitabine was 13 and 8 months, respectively, for all patients. Capecitabine may achieve a CR and provide long-term control in patients with both leptomeningeal and parenchymal CNS metastases from breast cancer.
PMID: 17611719 [PubMed - as supplied by publisher]

^^^^
ead Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
04-06-2006, 05:52 PM #1
Lani

Herceptin is now being tried intrathecally (injected into the brain via the CSF)
I posted this to the wrong forum--there is no clinical trial--yet.
Herceptin is now being tried intrathecally (injected into the brain via the CSF)
--CSF is the cerebral spinal fluid that bathes the brain and circulates around the parts of the brain and spinal cord

--carcinomatosis just means "widespread cancer"

leptomeningeal or meningeal involvement is different than parenchymal involvement as I explained in an earlier post (parenchymal means within the tissue of the brain itself rather than on its outside linings/covers)

Here is the abstract:

Oncol Rep. 2006 May;15(5):1373-7. Links

Application of intrathecal trastuzumab (Herceptintrade mark) for treatment of meningeal carcinomatosis in HER2-overexpressing metastatic breast cancer.

Stemmler HJ, Schmitt M, Harbeck N, Willems A, Bernhard H, Lassig D, Schoenberg S, Heinemann V.

Department of Internal Medicine III, University of Munich - Klinikum Grosshadern, D-81377 Munich, Germany. joachim.stemmler@med.uni-muenchen.de.

Leptomeningeal carcinomatosis represents a rare manifestation of metastatic breast cancer (MBC). A 39-year-old female presenting with HER2-overexpressing MBC and suffering from meningeal carcinomatosis was treated with the humanized antibody trastuzumab directed to HER2 by intrathecal administration. The patient was diagnosed with HER2-overexpressing stage III breast cancer in December 2003. In August 2004, the patient developed a singular intracerebral metastasis which was resected by neurosurgery followed by whole-brain radiotherapy. Since MRI and cerebrospinal fluid (CSF) analyses indicated meningeal carcinomatosis, the patient was commenced on trastuzumab (6 mg/kg q3w) and capecitabine (2.500 mg/m(2) d1-14, q3w). Prompted by clinical deterioration, 5 repeated doses of intrathecal methotrexate (15 mg/dose) were administered, yet without clinical improvement. There is initial evidence that trastuzumab does not reach an adequate concentration in CSF after intravenous application. Nevertheless, infiltration of trastuzumab into CSF is facilitated under conditions of an impaired blood-brain barrier, as it is known for meningeal carcinomatosis. For patients with leptomeningeal disease, intrathecal application of trastuzumab may provide an interesting therapeutical approach for patients with HER2 overexpressing metastatic breast cancer. Therefore, an Ommaya reservoir for intrathecal treatment with trastuzumab was placed surgically and intrathecal therapy was begun with escalating doses of trastuzumab (5-20 mg), which proved to be effective and well tolerated by the patient. Within 2 weeks after treatment, the patients' condition improved significantly and cell counts in CSF obtained from the Ommaya reservoir remained low for 11 months after first diagnosis of meningeal carcinomatosis when clinical symptoms and MRI indicated progression of meningeal and cerebral disease.

PMID: 16596213 [PubMed - in process]

04-06-2006, 09:11 PM #2
Lani

I remember a previous post asking about leptomeningeal spread of breast cancer
and found this article about experimental work in mice similar to the article above. In mice it had to be injected locally, not in the lumbar (back) region:
Clinical Cancer Research Vol. 7, 2050-2056, July 2001
© 2001 American Association for Cancer Research
Regular Articles

Treatment of Meningeal Breast Cancer Xenografts in the Rat Using an Anti-P185/HER2 Antibody1

Ira Bergman2, Mamdouha A. Barmada, Judith A. Griffin and Dennis J. Slamon
Departments of Pediatrics [I. B., J. A. G.], Neurology [I. B.], and Pathology [M. A. B.] University of Pittsburgh Medical Center, Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania 15213; and Division of Hematology and Oncology, UCLA School of Medicine, Los Angeles, California 90024 [D. J. S.]

The metastatic spread of breast cancer to the leptomeninges (LM) is a painful, debilitating, and usually lethal condition. Current therapies are generally ineffective or extremely toxic. The current study evaluated monoclonal antibody therapy in an animal model of LM human breast cancer. Monoclonal antibody 4D5, which recognizes the extracellular domain of the HER2/neu receptor, was administered into the cerebrospinal fluid of athymic rats implanted with human breast cancer cell lines. Continuous intraventricular administration of 4D5 inhibited growth of SKBR3 cells that overexpress HER2/neu but not of MCF7 cells, which do not. Inhibition was dose-dependent, with higher doses of 4D5 producing an improved response. i.p. administration of cisplatin in addition to 4D5 did not improve results. Continuous administration of 4D5 into the lumbar, as opposed to the ventricular intrathecal space, was not therapeutically effective. Treatment with 4D5 did not result in outgrowth of cells lacking expression of the HER2/neu receptor. These results suggest that 4D5, administered regionally, may palliate LM metastases from HER2/neu-overexpressing breast carcinoma.

^^^^
ASCO abstract: most important to STAY on herceptin once have brain mets!!!
Abstract No:
Citation:
Journal of Clinical Oncology, 2007 ASCO Annual Meeting Proceedings Part I. Vol 25, No. 18S (June 20 Supplement), 2007: 11507
Author(s):
B. Nam, K. Lee, T. Kim, J. Ro
Abstract:
Background: Brain metastases (BM) occur in as many as one-third of patients with metastatic breast cancer (MBC). Incidences and prognoses by triple receptor subtypes in BM have not been well delineated. Methods: Retrospectively, prognoses were assessed according to clinical characteristics, triple receptor subtypes, and receipt of trastuzumab therapy by univariate and multivariate analyses. ER/PR/HER2 were tested by IHC with HER2 FISH for IHC 2+ and for all 118 consecutive primary BC. Results: Between 8/2001 and 4/2006, 138 of 805 pts (17.1%) with MBC presented with BM at NCC Korea. More pts with triple negative and HER2+ tumors developed BM (see table). The median age was 47 years. They were single (9%), multiple (80%), or leptomeningeal disease with or without multiple BM (11%). As initial therapy, 104 pts received WBRT, 8, intrathecal therapy (IT), 9, WBRT with IT, and 17 others. Of 56 HER2+ pts, 45 received trastuzumab either before (n=25) or after (n=13), or continuously before and after BM diagnosed (n=7). By 10/2006, 117 pts died with a median survival of 4.5 months. Multivariate analyses indicated age, tumor receptor subtypes,leptomeningeal presentation and number of extracranial disease sites as significant factors. Receipt of trastuzumab therapy after BM was a significant variable for survival in HER2+ diseases (3.8 vs. 13.4 mo, p=0.0000). Pts with triple negative subtype lived shortest compared with other types (p=0.0035). Conclusions: More pts with triple negative and HER2+ disease developed BM. HER2+ disease gained a significant survival benefit by trastuzumab therapy. Supported by NCC Grant 0610240 and 0510520.
Triple receptor status Brain metastasis
N (%) Metastatic breast cancer
N (%) Early breast cancer
N (%) P-value
ER or PR+/HER2- 23/126 (18.2) 254/556 (45.7) 68/118 (57.6) <0.0001
ER or PR+/HER2+ 19/126 (15.0) 73/556 (13.1) 16/118 (13.5)
ER and PR-/HER2+ 37/126 (29.4) 91/556 (16.4) 15/118 (12.7)
ER and PR-/HER2- 47/126 (37.3) 138/556 (24.9) 19/118 (16.1)
Unknown/total 12/138 111/667 0/118

^^^
from gdpawel thread:

Isolated Leptomeningeal Carcinomatosis (Carcinomatous Meningitis) after Taxane-Induced Major Remission in Patients with Advanced Breast Cancer

Christos Kosmasa, Nikolaos A. Malamosa, Nikolas B. Tsavarisc, Melina Stamatakib, Achilleas Gregorioua, Sofia Rokanaa, Maria Vartholomeoua, Minas J. Antonopoulosa

aDepartment of Medicine, Medical Oncology Unit and bDepartment of Cytopathology, Helena-Venizelou Hospital and cDepartment of Pathophysiology, Medical Oncology Unit, Laikon General Hospital, Athens University School of Medicine, Athens, Greece

Abstract

Objectives: To identify the incidence of leptomeningeal carcinomatosis (LMC), as the first site of systemic progression, in breast cancer patients after having obtained a major response (CR or near CR) to first-line taxane-based chemotherapy and compare these findings in retrospect with a matched-pair group of historical control patients from our database treated with nontaxane regimens.

Patients and Methods: Patients with histologically proven breast cancer having either metastatic disease or high-risk locoregional disease that were entered into treatment protocols with first-line taxane (paclitaxel or docetaxel) plus anthracyclines or mitoxantrone combinations and developed LMC as the first evidence of progression after major response (CR or >80% PR) were analyzed in the present study (n = 155), and compared, as regards the incidence of LMC, to a matched-pair retrospective group of 155 patients treated with nontaxane regimens in our unit.

Results: Seven patients with a median age of 54 years (range 40-70) developed LMC as their first evidence of progression after taxane-based regimens with a median interval of 6 months (range 2-18) from start of treatment to diagnosis of LMC. Five patients received intrathecal (i.t.) methotrexate treatment and whole brain radiotherapy (RT), while 1 patient received i.t. methotrexate and RT to the lumbar spine.

Two patients responded to treatment for LMC, while 2 achieved stable disease and 3 progressed. Two patients had elevated cerebrospinal fluid tumor markers (more than serum marker levels) that proved useful in monitoring response to treatment. Median survival after LMC was 3.6 months (range 1-17+) and correlated positively to the interval from the initiation of taxane-based therapy to LMC (r = 0.84, p = 0.019).

Seven out of 86 responders (8.13%) in the taxane group versus 1 out of 72 responders (1.4%) in the non-taxane-treated group developed LMC as the first sign of progression after a major response to first-line chemotherapy (p < 0.1).

Conclusions: LMC after a major response to front-line taxane-based regimens represents a grave disease manifestation and its incidence appears increased, but not significantly so, when compared retrospectively to non-taxane-treated patients.

Prospective evaluation of the incidence of LMC after taxane versus non-taxane-based treatment from large randomized multi-institutional trials is warranted and identification of potential prognostic factors might help to identify patients requiring appropriate prophylactic therapy.

American Journal Clinical Oncology 2002;63:6-15

^^^^
10-27-2007, 07:12 AM #1
Lani

hot off the press MDAnderson review of 10 yrs' experience w bc brain mets
patients treated in earlier years did not have their her2 status studied--too bad they couldn't go back and determine their status retroactively

have included excerpts:
Cancer. 2007 Oct 25; [Epub ahead of print]
Clinicopathologic characteristics and prognostic factors in 420 metastatic breast cancer patients with central nervous system metastasis.

Altundag K, Bondy ML, Mirza NQ, Kau SW, Broglio K, Hortobagyi GN, Rivera E.
Department of Breast Medical Oncology, The University of Texas M. D. Anderson Cancer Center, Houston, Texas.
BACKGROUND.: Breast cancer is the second most common cause of central nervous system (CNS) metastases. Several risk factors for CNS metastases have been reported. The objective of the current study was to describe clinicopathologic characteristics and prognostic factors in breast cancer patients with CNS metastases. METHODS.: The authors retrospectively evaluated clinical data from 420 patients who had been diagnosed with breast cancer and CNS metastasis between 1994 and 2004 at the University of Texas M. D. Anderson Cancer Center. RESULTS.: The median age of the patients at the time of diagnosis of breast cancer was 45 years (range, 25-77 years). Premenopausal and postmenopausal patients were distributed equally. Most patients had invasive ductal histology (91.2%), grade 3 tumors (81.4%) (using the modified Black nuclear grading system), T2 tumor classification (40.1%), and N1 lymph node status (59.7%) diagnosis. Forty percent of patients had estrogen receptor (ER)-positive disease, and 34% had progesterone receptor-positive disease. HER-2/neu status was recorded for only 248 patients, and 39% of the patients in that group had HER-2/neu-positive disease. The most common sites of first metastasis were liver, bone, and lung. CNS metastasis was the site of first recurrence in 53 patients (12%). In total, 329 patients had received either neoadjuvant treatment (113 patients) or adjuvant chemotherapy (216 patients). The majority of those patients (74.4%) had received anthracycline-based regimens. Metastasis was solitary in 111 patients (26.4%), and 29 patients had only leptomeningeal metastases. The median time from breast cancer diagnosis to CNS metastasis was 30.9 months (range, from -5 months to 216.7 months). The median follow-up after a diagnosis of CNS metastasis was 6 months (range, 7-95.9 months). In all, 359 patients died, and the overall median survival was 6.8 months. Only age at diagnosis and ER status were associated significantly with overall survival in the multivariate analysis. CONCLUSIONS.: The current results indicated that the prognosis remains patients with breast cancer metastatic to the CNS. More effective treatment approaches are needed for patients with CNS metastases, even for those with favorable prognostic factors, such as ER-positive tumors or younger age. Cancer 2007. (c) 2007 American Cancer Society.
PMID: 17960791 [PubMed - as supplied by publisher]

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

Patients Who Survived for >18 Months
Eighty-two patients (19.5%) were alive at least 18 months after diagnosis of CNS metastasis. Of these 82 patients, 25 patients (30%) had HER-2-positive breast cancer. Furthermore, 18 patients (4.2%) were alive at least 60 months after this diagnosis. The median age of these relatively longer surviving patients was 42 years. Most of these patients had tumors of the ductal histologic type, tumors classified as T1 or T2, lymph node status N0 or N1, and a metastatic status of M0 at diagnosis. Approximately 50% of these patients had ER-positive or PR-positive disease, and 73% had grade 3 disease. Forty-six percent of these patients had a single CNS metastasis.
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
Compared with the median age of all breast cancer patients, the median age of patients with CNS metastases in our series was younger. Moreover, our cohort comprised more patients with ER-negative tumors than with ER-positive tumors. These data support previous reports indicating that patients with ER-negative tumors and younger age had a greater tendency to develop CNS metastases.[1][9][10]

Authors of a previous study reported that prior lung metastases predicted brain metastases in patients with breast cancer.[21] This also was true for our study cohort, in which 84 patients had lung as the primary metastatic site. Moreover, the median time from first metastatic site to CNS metastasis was shorter for patients who had lung as the first metastatic site than for patients who had bone as the first metastatic site. This may be explained partly by the assumption that metastatic breast cancer cells lodged in lung parenchyma can go more readily to the brain than those lodged in other sites.[22] The results from our multivariate analysis indicated that age and ER status were 2 independent factors for overall survival. Patients aged <50 years are expected to have better a performance status, resulting in better tolerance to therapy and longer overall survival. Similarly, Patients with ER-negative tumors tended to have a worse prognosis than patients with ER-positive tumors.

Among 248 patients with known HER-2 status in our study, 97 patients with breast cancer (39%) had HER-2-positive disease. This information supports the broad perception that positive HER-2 status is a risk factor for CNS metastases. Furthermore, several studies have reported improved survival from the time of diagnosis of CNS metastases diagnosed in patients who had HER-2-positive disease compared with patients who had HER-2-negative disease.[23][24] In our study, patients who had HER-2/neu-positive disease also lived longer compared with patients who had HER-2/neu-negative disease (11 months vs 6 months; P = .005). Improvements in survival largely can be attributed to the control of other sites of visceral metastases by the use of trastuzumab.

Although the survival outlook for patients with breast cancer metastatic to CNS is generally poor, there were some long-term survivors. Eighty-two patients (19.5%) survived for >18 months. The median age of these patients was 42 years. Compared with an unselected series of breast cancer patients, this longer surviving population was younger and predominantly was premenopausal. This group also included a higher proportion of patients with a single metastatic lesion and with CNS as the first metastatic site. Compared with unselected breast cancer patients, these patients had a higher percentage of ER-positive tumors. Any or all of these characteristics may explain their potential for prolonged survival.

^^^^
10-27-2007, 05:35 PM #3
Lani

more ....from the paper
Twenty-five years ago, DiStefano et al. reported the outcome of 100 breast cancer patients with CNS metastases who were followed at MD Anderson.[18] In their analysis, the median time from first diagnosis to CNS metastases was 34 months; in our series, it was 30.6 months. It is interesting to note that, whereas the median survival after the documentation of CNS metastasis was 4 months in the former study, during the time of the current study, this interval had increased to 6.8 months. This difference has several possible explanations, including the availability of better imaging techniques in the current study, and the use of more effective treatment modalities, such as radiotherapy and/or chemotherapy. In their further analysis, DiStefano et al. observed longer survival in patients who underwent surgical resection and in those whose brain was the site of first metastasis. In our series as well, patients with CNS as the first site of metastases and those with a single metastasis that was amenable to surgery and/or radiotherapy lived longer. Furthermore, a randomized trial demonstrated that selected patients with resectable single brain metastases who were randomized to undergo resection and receive whole-brain radiotherapy survived longer than those who underwent biopsy or received whole-brain radiotherapy alone.[19] That randomized trial and a confirmatory trial[20] have established surgery and postoperative irradiation as the standard approach for such patients.

There has been substantial progress in CNS imaging, neurosurgical techniques, and radiation therapy techniques, especially gamma knife and radiosurgery. Optimal assessment of extent of disease and multidisciplinary treatment planning and implementation may improve outcomes somewhat, especially for patients with limited disease. Patients with solitary or very few metastases should be treated aggressively and with curative intent. It is intriguing that, in the current series, patients with moderate extent of metastases fared better than patients with multiple metastases but fared less well than patients with single metastases. This means that not only patients with single metastasis but also patients with moderate metastases may benefit from local interventions. Therefore, local management of CNS metastases should not be rejected in this population.

^^

Lani

her2+ breast cancer associated with higher risk of brain mets--but better survival
after brain mets

and it was mostly her2+er- tumors which were associated with brain mets

http://www.medicalnewstoday.com/articles/98852.php

http://breast-cancer-research.com/content/10/1/R20

Breast Cancer Research
Volume 10
Issue 1

Research article
Breast cancer subtypes and survival in patients with brain metastases
Byung-Ho Nam , Sun Young Kim , Hye-Suk Han , Youngmee Kwon , Keun Seok Lee , Tae Hyun Kim and Jungsil Ro

Breast Cancer Research 2008, 10:R20doi:10.1186/bcr1870

Published: 28 February 2008
Abstract (provisional)

Introduction
Brain metastases (BM) occur in up to one third of patients with metastatic breast cancer (MBC), whose incidences and prognoses by breast cancer subtypes in BM have not been well delineated.

Methods
Retrospective survival analyses were performed in 126 BM patients from 805 MBC patients treated at the National Cancer Center between August 2001 and April 2006, according to clinical characteristics, breast cancer subtypes, and receipt of trastuzumab. Estrogen receptor (ER), progesterone receptor (PR), and human epidermal growth receptor-2 (HER2) statuses were tested by immunohistochemical (IHC) staining, and HER2 FISH analysis conducted for IHC 2+.

Results
The proportion of HER2+/ER- (29% vs 16%) and triple-negative (37% vs 25%) tumors was higher in the 126 BM patients than those without BM. While median survival after recurrence was longer in patients with luminal A disease (median survival of luminal A vs luminal B vs HER2+/ER- vs triple-negative: p = 0.0246; 39.6 vs 27.4 vs 20.9 vs 15.5 months), survival was shorter from BM to death in luminal A and triple negatives (median survival: p = 0.0113; 4.0 vs 9.2 vs 5.0 vs 3.4 months). Receipt of trastuzumab after BM was a significant variable for survival in HER2+ patients. Multivariate analyses identified ER-negative, HER2-negative, or triple-negative, as well as older age, presence of leptomeningeal disease, and three or more extracranial disease sites, as poor prognostic factors for survival after BM.

Conclusions
MBC patients who developed BM had higher proportions of triple-negative and HER2+/ER- tumor status. Triple receptor status is a useful prognostic marker for predicting survival after BM in metastatic breast cancer patients.

I quickly put Lani brain met into the search above and found
here is info I just quickly gathered on Boswellia Serrata and intrathecal herceptin
from a 9/06 thread I started--I recently read a post from someone who thanked me for providing the info--she had used Boswellia and had a 40% decrease in the size of her brain mets and a long period of stable disease (couldn't find the post, but found these by putting Boswellia into the search function above). I also post my info on intrathecal (injected into the cerebrospinal fluid so it doesn't have to cross the blood-brain barrier) herceptin:
Here is the first post:

for those with brain mets (and those scared of developing brain metastases)

a most remarkable article--I felt it inappropriate to place it with interesting articles as only one tenth as many her2support readers view those posts and it is my impression that there are some out there who could definitely need this news, published in a very respectable journal

I was happy to see an email address attached to the abstract and have forwarded on more information...

1: J Neurooncol. 2006 Sep 26; [Epub ahead of print] Links
A lipoxygenase inhibitor in breast cancer brain metastases.

Flavin DF.
Foundation for Collaborative Medicine and Research, 24 Midwood Drive, Greenwich, CT, 06831, USA, Dana_FK@hotmail.com.
The complication of multiple brain metastases in breast cancer patients is a life threatening condition with limited success following standard therapies. The arachidonate lipoxygenase pathway appears to play a role in brain tumor growth as well as inhibition of apoptosis in in-vitro studies. The down regulation of these arachidonate lipoxygenase growth stimulating products therefore appeared to be a worthwile consideration for testing in brain metastases not responding to standard therapy. Boswellia serrata, a lipoxygenase inhibitor was applied for this inhibition. Multiple brain metastases were successfully reversed using this method in a breast cancer patient who had not shown improvement after standard therapy. The results suggest a potential new area of therapy for breast cancer patients with brain metastases that may be useful as an adjuvant to our standard therapy.
PMID: 17001517 [PubMed - as supplied by publisher]

hmerch

I contacted Dr. Flavin for my mother who has brain mets and she said that Boswellia serrata should be used right away at 800mg 3 times a day.

My understanding from my conversation with her was that those of her patients who are using this had regression of brain mets. She also has a few patients who are met free now for a few years.

This sounds pretty great and I'm going to get this for my mom if her onc allows it, but I am curious if anyone else has used this compound and if so what has been your success?

Thanks,
Hina

10-27-2006, 03:31 PM
heblaj01

Caution: possible interaction of Boswellia with some chemo drugs

In checking the pharmacokinetics of Boswellia Serrata I found this article which describes it as an iinhibitor of P450 enzymes which are required in the liver to metabolize some chemo drugs such as Navelbine.
http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/entrez/q...&dopt=Abstract
Analysis of frankincense from various Boswellia species with inhibitory activity on human drug metabolising cytochrome P450 enzymes using liquid chromatography mass spectrometry after automated on-line extraction.
The abstract does not state if the inhibition is occuring only in he gut or in the liver or both.
If the inhibition is restricted to the gut then intravenous chemo drugs would not be affected.
If however the inhibition is in the liver the consequences could be lowered effectiveness of the chemo treatment & possibly higher level of side effects due to longer persitance of the drug in the body & higher accumulation.

I hope this will turn out to be a false alert for most of those planing to use Boswellia but it needs to be clarified by someone with the right background such as Lani.

heblaj01

This article posted by Lani is most interesting for members of this forum since it deals with metastatic brain cancer from breast.

It appears that Boswella Serrata might also be usefull for primary brain tumors since a phase 2 clinical trial is under preparation:

http://www.clinicaltrials.gov/ct/gui/show/NCT00243022
Boswellia Serrata Combined With a Low-Fat, Vegan Diet or a Standard Diet Alone in Treating Patients Who Have Undergone Surgery and Radiation Therapy for Newly Diagnosed Glioblastoma Multiforme

from my 11/06 post:

Here are two articles on IT herceptin--the latest(hot-off-the-press) I do not yet have access to:
1: Lancet Oncol. 2006 Nov;7(11):888. Links
Care with intrathecal trastuzumab.

Siderov J.
PMID: 17081914 [PubMed - in process]

Related Links
Application of intrathecal trastuzumab (Herceptintrade mark) for treatment of meningeal carcinomatosis in HER2-overexpressing metastatic breast cancer.[Oncol Rep. 2006]

Hope this helps!

PS I have very little internet access at the moment(visiting for the holidays), so sorry not to post more info on this

11-22-2006, 03:50 PM
Lani

got it!

The Lancet Oncology
Volume 7 • Number 11 • November 2006
Copyright © 2006 Elsevier

Reflection and Reaction
Care with intrathecal trastuzumab

Jim Siderova
a Cancer Services, Austin Health, Studley Road, Heidelberg, VIC, Australia 3084

E-mail address: jim.siderov@austin.org.au

PII S1470-2045(06)70917-2

I read with interest the Case Report on the use of intrathecal trastuzumab published in The Lancet Oncology because it is an uncommon method of administration for a monoclonal antibody.[1] I wish to point out a potential issue with the intrathecal administration of trastuzumab.

In Australia and the UK, trastuzumab is supplied in vials of 150 mg powder,2, 3 which contains histidine, trehalose dihydrate, and polysorbate, among other excipients. Once reconstituted with water for injection, the resultant solution is free of preservatives. In the USA, trastuzumab is supplied in vials of 440 mg powder,[4] together with 20-mL bacteriostatic water for reconstitution. This bacteriostatic water contains 1·1% benzyl alcohol—a preservative.

Products that contain preservatives, particularly benzyl alcohol, should not be administered intrathecally because of the risks of anaphylaxis and potential for neurotoxicity from the preservative agent.[5] Reported events include paraparesis, fibrosis of the cauda equina, and segmental demyelination of the dorsal and ventral roots.[5]

Thus, colleagues in the USA who might consider treatment with trastuzumab intrathecally should do so without the use of the diluent provided.

Intrathecal administration is an important component of the management of malignant disease, but products injected in this way should not contain preservatives, especially benzyl alcohol. Physicians, pharmacists, and nurses involved in the preparation or administration of intrathecal treatment should ensure that preservative-free products are used.

I declare no conflicts of interest.

11-22-2006, 03:51 PM
Lani

references

REFERENCES:

1 Platini C, Long J, Walter S: Meningeal carcinomatosis from breast cancer treated with intrathecal trastuzumab. Lancet Oncol 7. 778-780.2006; Full Text
2 Roche products Pty Ltd: Herceptin (trastuzumab) Australian approved product information. Therapeutic Goods Administration approved amendment, Roche products Pty Ltd Sydney 21 April, 2006.
3 Electronic Medicines Compendium: (accessed Sept 20, 2006) http://emc.medicines.org.uk/emc/indu...ocumentid=3567
4 In: McEvoy GK, ed. American Hospital Formulary Service (AHFS) Drug Information, American Society of Health-System Pharmacists Bethesda 2006: 1209-1215.
5 Hetherington NJ, Dooley MJ: Potential for patient harm from intrathecal administration of preserved solutions. Med J Aust 173. 141-143.2000; Abstract

01-07-2008, 06:08 PM #3
Lani

another article I just refound:
Anticancer Drugs. 2007 Jan;18(1):23-8. Links
Ratio of trastuzumab levels in serum and cerebrospinal fluid is altered in HER2-positive breast cancer patients with brain metastases and impairment of blood-brain barrier.

Stemmler HJ, Schmitt M, Willems A, Bernhard H, Harbeck N, Heinemann V.
Medical Department III, Ludwig-Maximilians University of Munich, Clinic Grosshadern, Munich, Germany. Joachim.Stemmler@med.uni-muenchen.de
Patients receiving trastuzumab for HER2-overexpressing metastatic breast cancer seem to suffer from an increased risk of brain metastases, even in cases with responsive disease. To evaluate whether trastuzumab is able to penetrate the blood-brain barrier, we measured trastuzumab levels in the serum and in cerebrospinal fluid of metastatic breast cancer patients with brain metastases receiving trastuzumab for HER2-overexpressing metastatic breast cancer. In a pilot study, metastatic breast cancer patients with brain metastases and HER2-overexpressing tumors (HercepTest; Dako, Copenhagen, Denmark) were included. At different time points, trastuzumab levels in the serum and cerebrospinal fluid were measured using a newly developed immunoenzymatic test for trastuzumab. Six out of eight patients were evaluable for determination of trastuzumab level in the serum and cerebrospinal fluid. Before radiotherapy, median trastuzumab level in the serum was 52 054 ng/ml compared with 124 ng/ml in cerebrospinal fluid (ratio 420 : 1). After completion of radiotherapy, median trastuzumab level was 20 185 ng/ml in the serum and 226 ng/ml in cerebrospinal fluid, respectively (ratio 76 : 1). With concomitant meningeal carcinomatosis, trastuzumab level in the serum after radiotherapy was 17 431 and 356 ng/ml in cerebrospinal fluid (ratio 49 : 1). For the first time, we present clinical evidence that trastuzumab levels in cerebrospinal fluid are increased under conditions of an impaired blood-brain barrier such as meningeal carcinomatosis or radiotherapy. This evidence supports the concept of continuing trastuzumab therapy in patients with brain metastases treated by radiotherapy. Monitoring of trastuzumab levels in the serum and cerebrospinal fluid may enable individualized therapy strategies in metastatic breast cancer patients with brain metastases, and lead to a better understanding of trastuzumab pharmacokinetics in the cerebrospinal fluid and serum.
PMID: 17159499 [PubMed - indexed for MEDLINE]

new drug improves survival, qual of life when combined with WBR(whole brain radiation
Am J Clin Oncol. 2007 Dec;30(6):580-7.
Improved survival, quality of life, and quality-adjusted survival in breast cancer patients treated with efaproxiral (Efaproxyn) plus whole-brain radiation therapy for brain metastases.

Scott C, Suh J, Stea B, Nabid A, Hackman J.
CBS Squared, Inc., Fort Washington, Pennsylvania 19034, USA. cbssquared@comcast.net
OBJECTIVE: To determine whether efaproxiral, an allosteric modifier of hemoglobin, improves quality of life and quality of survival in patients with primary breast cancer and brain metastases when used as an adjunct to whole-brain radiation therapy (WBRT). METHODS: Patients with brain metastases from breast cancer were randomly assigned to receive WBRT and either efaproxiral or no efaproxiral. The primary endpoint for this analysis was quality of life and quality-adjusted survival. Quality of life was assessed prior to initiation of WBRT and periodically in follow-up using the Spitzer Quality of Life Index (SQLI). RESULTS: A subgroup of 106 eligible breast cancer patients with baseline SQLI were randomized into this study and represent the target population discussed in this report. Treatment, age, and SQLI were significant predictors of survival. The addition of efaproxiral to WBRT reduced the death rate by 46% (P = 0.0086). Quality of life was improved in the WBRT + efaproxiral arm compared with the WBRT alone arm (P = 0.019). Quality-adjusted survival was statistically significantly improved by the addition of efaproxiral to WBRT (P = 0.001). CONCLUSION: Survival, quality of life, and quality-adjusted survival were all improved in breast cancer patients with brain metastases receiving efaproxiral and WBRT compared with those receiving WBRT alone.
PMID: 18091051 [PubMed - in process]

Article shows the other people involved in writing the paper were with University Cancer centers (not the drug company), that her2+ was responsible for an inordinate number of the bc brain met population due to its proclivity for the the brain, other factors.

06-12-2009, 04:40 PM #15
Lani

they do deliver herceptin intrathecally
All the articles agree it is very advantageous to keep herceptin going once you have brain mets-they theorize the blood brain barrier is somewhat more permeable or some indirect effect is responsible

I also came by this (not mine) in the search function:
RTA 744 in Breast Cancer Patients With Progression of Previously Irradiated Brain Met
RTA 744 in Breast Cancer Patients With Progression of Previously Irradiated Brain Mets

RTA 744 is a novel, anthracycline that has shown the ability to circumvent ATP-binding cassette transporters (Multidrug Resistance Protein 1, Breast Cancer Resistance Protein, P-glycoprotein) in vitro. This action enables RTA 744 to penetrate across the blood brain barrier. In a Phase I safety study, RTA 744 was shown to be generally well tolerated in patients with recurrent gliolastoma multiforme (GBM). Additionally, anti-tumor activity was observed. Breast cancer is known to be sensitive to anthracycline therapy. Based on the preliminary Phase I clinical results and the sensitivity of breast cancer to anthracycline therapy, this Phase II study will investigate the safety and efficacy of RTA 744 in patients with breast cancer and metastatic disease to the brain which has progressed following whole brain irradiation.

http://www.clinicaltrials.gov/ct/sho...395112?order=2

06-12-2009, 05:08 PM #16
pattyz

Marie... can I say more than just 'hell' here??? Pretend I did, ok.

I can't think of what I sent that must be written off if it was not tried?

My onc wants to go right to Irinotecan w/my Temodar. There is an oral Irinotecan, which I like, at a dose of about 50/60mg/m2 Dx5. It is also in trial now for 'us' this way.

Besides w/Temodar, it is also used or in trial with:
*Oral etoposide aka: VePesidR
*Avastin - yes, honest for brain mets.

There is an older chemo 'Lomustine':
Lomustine Offers Effective Low Cost Treatment for Lung and Breast Cancer Brain Metastases (Doctor's Guide)
Reports results from a small study presented at the 14th International Congress on Anti-Cancer Treatment (ICACT) of the efficacy and toxicity of lomustine in patients with lung or breast cancer brain metastases. [2/03]
What this drug is used for:Treatment of brain tumors, both primary (developed in the brain) and metastatic

*And: Temodar w/Doxil -
2004 ASCO Annual Meeting
Category: Central Nervous System Tumors
Abstract No: 1576 Two CR and two PRs was recorded in the four patients with breast tumours,
Conclusions: the schedule was a well tolerated treatment (also in elder pts.) and has suggested an encouraging activity in brain metastases from breast.

*Topotecan:
Single-agent topotecan, especially in patients with SCLC or breast cancer, has demonstrated excellent response rates against brain metastases and may be safely and effectively combined with other chemotherapeutic drugs that have the ability to pass the intact blood-brain barrier....

*And these trials:
* ZK219477 in Patients With Breast Cancer and Brain Metastases
The purpose of this Phase II clinical trial is to determine the effects, both good and bad, of a new chemotherapeutic drug called ZK219477 that appears to cross the blood-brain barrier and penetrate into the brain.
* Epothilone B in Treating Patients With CNS Metastases From Breast Cancer
This phase II trial is studying how well a new experimental treatment known as epothilone B (patupilone) works in treating patients with CNS metastases from breast cancer that have recurred after whole brain radiation. Patupilone does cross the blood-brain barrier.

However, the trial Lani posted was terminated = Business decision. ?? the RTA 744

Gd, I pray you can find something for Ed to try. I'm focused on oral at the moment. IV's next... or whatever happens.

xoxopatty

06-12-2009, 05:13 PM #17
Lani

more references
Please see my post in the last couple of days of a new and more effective way of taking lapatinib00ie higher dose but intermittently

J Natl Cancer Inst. 2008 Aug 6;100(15):1092-103. Epub 2008 Jul 29. Links

Effect of lapatinib on the outgrowth of metastatic breast cancer cells to the brain.

Gril B, Palmieri D, Bronder JL, Herring JM, Vega-Valle E, Feigenbaum L, Liewehr DJ, Steinberg SM, Merino MJ, Rubin SD, Steeg PS.
Women's Cancers Section, Laboratory of Molecular Pharmacology, National Cancer Institute, National Institutes of Health, 9000 Rockville Pike, Building 37, Room 1122, MSC 4254, Bethesda, MD 20892, USA.
BACKGROUND: The brain is increasingly being recognized as a sanctuary site for metastatic tumor cells in women with HER2-overexpressing breast cancer who receive trastuzumab therapy. There are no approved or widely accepted treatments for brain metastases other than steroids, cranial radiotherapy, and surgical resection. We examined the efficacy of lapatinib, an inhibitor of the epidermal growth factor receptor (EGFR) and HER2 kinases, for preventing the outgrowth of breast cancer cells in the brain in a mouse xenograft model of brain metastasis. METHODS: EGFR-overexpressing MDA-MB-231-BR (231-BR) brain-seeking breast cancer cells were transfected with an expression vector that contained or lacked the HER2 cDNA and used to examine the effect of lapatinib on the activation (ie, phosphorylation) of cell signaling proteins by immunoblotting, on cell growth by the tetrazolium salt 3-(4,5-dimethylthiazol-2-yl)-2,5-diphenyl tetrazolium bromide assay, and on cell migration using a Boyden chamber assay. The outgrowth of large (ie, >50 microm(2)) and micrometastases was counted in brain sections from nude mice that had been injected into the left cardiac ventricle with 231-BR cells and, beginning 5 days later, treated by oral gavage with lapatinib or vehicle (n = 22-26 mice per treatment group). All statistical tests were two-sided. RESULTS: In vitro, lapatinib inhibited the phosphorylation of EGFR, HER2, and downstream signaling proteins; cell proliferation; and migration in 231-BR cells (both with and without HER2). Among mice injected with 231-BR-vector cells, those treated with 100 mg lapatinib/kg body weight had 54% fewer large metastases 24 days after starting treatment than those treated with vehicle (mean number of large metastases per brain section: 1.56 vs 3.36, difference = 1.80, 95% confidence interval [CI] = 0.92 to 2.68, P < .001), whereas treatment with 30 mg lapatinib/kg body weight had no effect. Among mice injected with 231-BR-HER2 cells, those treated with either dose of lapatinib had 50%-53% fewer large metastases than those treated with vehicle (mean number of large metastases per brain section, 30 mg/kg vs vehicle: 3.21 vs 6.83, difference = 3.62, 95% CI = 2.30 to 4.94, P < .001; 100 mg/kg vs vehicle: 3.44 vs 6.83, difference = 3.39, 95% CI = 2.08 to 4.70, P < .001). Immunohistochemical analysis revealed reduced phosphorylation of HER2 in 231-BR-HER2 cell-derived brain metastases from mice treated with the higher dose of lapatinib compared with 231-BR-HER2 cell-derived brain metastases from vehicle-treated mice (P < .001). CONCLUSIONS: Lapatinib is the first HER2-directed drug to be validated in a preclinical model for activity against brain metastases of breast cancer.
PMID: 18664652

06-12-2009, 05:25 PM #18
Lani

Patricia Steeg is at the NIH and has made bc brain mets here baileywick
here is one of her paper's abstracts:
Breast Dis. 2006-2007;26:139-47. Links

Brain metastases of breast cancer.

Palmieri D, Smith QR, Lockman PR, Bronder J, Gril B, Chambers AF, Weil RJ, Steeg PS.
Women's Cancers Section, Laboratory of Molecular Pharmacology, Center for Cancer Research, National Cancer Institute, Bethesda, MD, USA.
Central nervous system or brain metastases traditionally occur in 10-16% of metastatic breast cancer patients and are associated with a dismal prognosis. The development of brain metastases has been associated with young age, and tumors that are estrogen receptor negative, Her-2+ or of the basal phenotype. Treatment typically includes whole brain irradiation, or either stereotactic radiosurgery or surgery with whole brain radiation, resulting in an approximately 20% one year survival. The blood-brain barrier is a formidable obstacle to the delivery of chemotherapeutics to the brain. Mouse experimental metastasis model systems have been developed for brain metastasis using selected sublines of human MDA-MB-231 breast carcinoma cells. Using micron sized iron particles and MRI imaging, the fate of MDA-MB-231BR cells has been mapped: Approximately 2% of injected cells form larger macroscopic metastases, while 5% of cells remain as dormant cells in the brain. New therapies with permeability for the blood-brain barrier are needed to counteract both types of tumor cells.
PMID: 17473372

Thinking out louad. To get rid of the dormant cells, the bc stem cells, Dr. Max Wicha has started a trial of gamma secretase inhibitor (a drug normally tried vs. Alzheimer's so it must get into the brain)

How about seeing if those trials allow brain mets (U of Michigan, Baylor and one or two other sites if I recall correctly)

It is 224 am in Denmark, so got to get some ZZZZ

Try the website brainmets.org that Dr. Steeg advocates at all the meetings

06-12-2009, 05:26 PM #19
WomanofSteel

Marie, you already know how I feel. Holding you and Ed in prayer and a great big hug to you both.

06-12-2009, 05:29 PM #20
Lani

Sagopilone ( a relative of Ixempra)
9/11/08 2:10 PM
Sagopilone crosses the blood-brain barrier in vivo...[Neuro Oncol. 2008] - PubMed Result
Page 1 of 1
http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov.laneprox...ubmed_RVDocSum
1: Neuro Oncol. 2008 Sep 9. [Epub ahead of print]
PMID: 18780814 [PubMed - as supplied by publisher]
Sagopilone crosses the blood-brain barrier in vivo to inhibit brain tumor
growth and metastases.
Hoffmann J, Fichtner I, Lemm M, Lienau P, Hess-Stumpp H,
Rotgeri A, Hofmann B, Klar U.
Bayer Schering Pharma AG, TRG Oncology, Müllerstrasse 172178, 13342 Berlin,
Germany.
The aim of this study was to determine the efficacy of sagopilone
(ZK-EPO), a novel epothilone, compared with other anticancer agents
in human orthotopic models of primary and secondary brain tumors.
Autoradiography and pharmacokinetic analyses were performed on
rats and mice to determine passage across the blood-brain barrier
and organ distribution of sagopilone. Mice bearing intracerebral
human tumors (U373 or U87 glioblastoma, MDA-MB-435 melanoma,
or patient-derived non-small-cell lung cancer [NSCLC]) were treated
with sagopilone 510 mg/kg, paclitaxel 812.5 mg/kg (or temozolomide
100 mg/kg), or control (vehicle only). Tumor volume was measured
to assess antitumor activity. Sagopilone crossed the blood-brain
barrier in both rat and mouse models, leading to therapeutically
relevant concentrations in the brain with a long half-life. Sagopilone
exhibited significant antitumor activity in both the U373 and U87
human glioblastoma models, while paclitaxel showed a limited effect
in the U373 model. Sagopilone significantly inhibited the growth of
tumors from CNS metastases models (MDA-MB-435 melanoma and
patient-derived Lu7187 and Lu7466 NSCLC) implanted in the brains of
nude mice, in contrast to paclitaxel or temozolomide. Sagopilone has
free access to the brain. Sagopilone demonstrated significant
antitumor activity in orthotopic models of both glioblastoma and CNS
metastases compared with paclitaxel or temozolomide, underlining the
value of further research evaluating sagopilone in the treatment of
brain tumors. Sagopilone is currently being investigated in a broad
phase II clinical trial program, including patients with glioblastoma,
NSCLC, breast cancer, and melanoma.

Fulvestrant AKA ICI 182,780 best given monthly as double dose in buttocks crosses BBB
ICI 182,780 Penetrates Brain and Hypothalamic Tissue and Has Functiona…ter Systemic Dosing -- Alfinito et al. 149 (10): 5219 -- Endocrinology

Articles by Alfinito, P. D.
Articles by Deecher, D. C.

Endocrinology, doi:10.1210/en.2008-0532
Endocrinology Vol. 149, No. 10 5219-5226

ICI 182,780 Penetrates Brain and
Hypothalamic Tissue and Has
Functional Effects in the Brain
after Systemic Dosing
Peter D. Alfinito, Xiaohong Chen, James Atherton,
Scott Cosmi and Darlene C. Deecher
Women’s Health and Musculoskeletal Biology (P.D.A., X.C., S.C.,
D.C.D.), Drug Safety and Metabolism (J.A.), Wyeth Research,
Collegeville, Pennsylvania 19426
Address all correspondence and requests for reprints to: Darlene C.
Deecher, Ph.D., Wyeth Research, RN 3164, 500 Arcola Road,
Collegeville, Pennsylvania 19426. E-mail: deeched@wyeth.com.

Previous reports suggest the antiestrogen ICI 182,780 (ICI) does not
cross the blood-brain barrier (BBB). However, this hypothesis has
never been directly tested. In the present study, we tested whether
ICI crosses the BBB, penetrates into brain and hypothalamic tissues,
and affects known neuroendocrine functions in ovariectomized rats.

ICI crosses the BBB and penetrates into brain and hypothalamic
tissues
An earlier report suggested that ICI did not cross the BBB of OVX
rats because it failed to block nuclear uptake of [3H]estradiol in
hypothalamic tissue after once daily dosing at 1.0 mg/kg sc for 3 d
(2). However, the ability of ICI to cross the BBB and penetrate brain
tissues was not directly tested in these experiments. In the present study, the same dosing
paradigm was followed as reported by Wade et al. (2) (Fig. 1A), and ICI levels were
measured in plasma and brain (total brain minus hypothalamus and pituitary) and hypothalamic
tissues over time. The ICI compound was detected in all samples and at all time points tested
(Fig. 1B). The concentrations and pharmacokinetic profiles of ICI in plasma, brain, and
hypothalamus were found to be similar (Fig. 1B and Table 1 ). ICI levels were stable in
plasma and brain and hypothalamic tissues over the entire 24-h testing period, and the
concentrations of ICI in plasma and hypothalamic tissue were similar at the 24-h time point.

TABLE 1. Pharmacokinetic profile of ICI (1.0 mg/kg, sc, 3 d) in
plasma and brain and hypothalamic tissues of OVX Sprague Dawley
rats over time

The ratio of brain to plasma exposure is an indication of a compound’s ability to cross the
BBB. Based on 24-h exposure values, brain and hypothalamus to plasma ratios for ICI were
0.33 and 0.66, respectively (Table 1 ). These results demonstrate that ICI crosses the BBB, is
present in brain and hypothalamic tissues, and persists at a constant level in plasma and brain
and hypothalamic tissues for up to 24 h after systemic dosing.
ICI blocks estrogenic actions in the MD model of hot flush but showed estrogenic-like
effects when administered alone
The MD model of hot flush is based on measuring naloxone-induced increases in TST in MD
OVX rats (17, 23). Previous work indicates that estrogen’s ability to abate TST elevations in
the MD model of hot flush occurs through its actions in the brain (18). To determine whether
11/6/08 8:20 AM
ICI 182,780 Penetrates Brain and Hypothalamic Tissue and Has Functiona…ter Systemic Dosing -- Alfinito et al. 149 (10): 5219 -- Endocrinology
P
3), these results demonstrate that ICI rapidly crosses the BBB and persists for an extended
period of time in plasma and brain and hypothalamic tissues. Consistent with its ability to
penetrate brain tissues, repeated systemic administration of ICI blocked the effects of EE on
naloxone-induced TST elevations in the MD model of hot flush and on body weight change.
Interestingly, ICI administration alone (1.0 or 3.0 mg/kg·d) demonstrated weak estrogenic-like
activity in these models. We conclude that ICI is a brain-penetrable compound that can exert
functional (antiestrogenic and estrogenic) effects in the CNS, and specifically the
hypothalamus, after systemic dosing.
Previous studies have concluded that ICI does not cross the BBB because at up to 1.0 mg/kg·d,
it failed to block uptake of [3H]estradiol into nuclei of hypothalamic cells in OVX rats (2) and
failed to mimic the effects of OVX on body weight gain and plasma gonadotropin levels in
intact female rats (1). However, it is possible that these previous studies did not use a high
enough dose to observe inhibitory effects on these endpoints. For example, despite the presence
of ICI in brain and hypothalamic tissue after systemic administration of 1.0 mg/kg·d, we found
that this dose of ICI did not inhibit the effect of EE on all functional endpoints. The 1.0
mg/kg·d dose of ICI did partially inhibit the effect of EE on TST increases in the MD model
but did not block EE’s effect on body weight change. This functional selectivity may be
explained by the fact that ICI’s inhibitory effect on different estrogen-mediated brain functions
can vary depending on the endpoint being studied. For example, Steyn et al. (28) have shown
that intracerebroventricular administration of ICI inhibited estrogen-induced GnRH pulse
frequency but did not block estrogenic effects on progesterone receptor expression in the
hypothalamus or on antepartum prolactin surges. The authors concluded that there might be a
wide range of sensitivities to ICI in the brain that could cause variable results across different
functional endpoints. Thus, it is possible that inhibition of [3H]estradiol uptake into nuclei of
hypothalamic cells or blockade of estrogen’s effect on body weight change may require higher
levels of ICI than other functional endpoints. This idea is supported by our results showing that
ICI treatment at 3.0 mg/kg·d for 8 d did partially block the effect of EE on body weight change.
Because some previous studies (1, 2) only tested ICI at up to 1.0 mg/kg·d, it is unknown if
higher doses would have inhibited [3H]estradiol uptake into nuclei of hypothalamic cells in
OVX rats, or induced body weight gain or increased plasma gonadotropin levels in intact
female rats.
Several lines of evidence suggest that estrogens regulate body weight primarily through central
mechanisms that reduce meal size (15, 16, 29, 30, 31, 32). Lesions of the ventromedial nucleus
of the hypothalamus blocked the effect of systemically administered EB on body weight change
and food intake in OVX rats (29), infusion of estradiol directly into the paraventricular nucleus
or medial preoptic nucleus of the hypothalamus reduced body weight and/or food intake in
OVX rats (30, 31), and direct administration of EB to the hindbrain just above the nucleus

tractus solitarius reduced food intake in OVX rats (32). However, these results have not been
reproduced in all laboratories (33), and several peripheral feedback mechanisms have been
hypothesized. Therefore, it remains possible that the ability of ICI to block the effect of EE on
body weight change in the present study could occur through peripheral not central
mechanisms. However, direct involvement of peripheral mechanisms in mediating estrogens
effect on body weight is lacking. It has been shown previously that estradiol treatment does not
inhibit feeding by modulating orosensory stimuli (15, 16). Estradiol treatment can inhibit
ghrelin-induced feeding, but this effect does not occur through reduction in meal size as is well
established for estrogens (15). Estradiol does increase the satiating potency of cholecystokinin,
but this effect likely occurs through an estradiol-induced increase in neuronal activity within
the brainstem, not through regulation of signaling in the periphery (15, 16). Finally, leptin
signaling does not appear to directly mediate estrogen’s effect on body weight because estradiol
has reduced body weight and food intake in both leptin-deficient and leptin receptor-deficient
mice (34). Thus, based on current evidence, estrogenic regulation of body weight appears to be
mediated through central mechanisms, and is an appropriate endpoint for predicting whether
ICI crosses the BBB and exerts functional effects in the CNS.
The effect of ICI on body weight has been reported previously in intact cycling female rats and
OVX estrogen-treated rats (2, 24). In these studies body weight changes were unaffected by
daily ICI treatment at either 1 or 1.5 mg/kg·d (higher doses were not tested), and it was
concluded that ICI did not cross the BBB. Our results are consistent with these studies because
the ability of ICI to block EE’s effect on body weight change was not observed at the 1.0
mg/kg·d dose. However, at the higher dose (3.0 mg/kg·d), ICI treatment did block the effect of
EE on body weight change. These data suggest that in previous studies in OVX rats, ICI may
not have been administered at a high enough dose to block estrogenic effects on body weight
regulation.
The effect of ICI alone on body weight change in OVX rats has also been tested previously (2,
24). Results from these studies also suggest that body weight change is unaffected by ICI
treatment at 1.0 or 1.5 mg/kg·d. These data are in contrast to our finding that ICI had weak
estrogenic-like actions on body weight change at both 1.0 and 3.0 mg/kg·d. The discrepancy
between the current work and previous studies is difficult to reconcile. There are several
technical differences such as rat strain and vendor and total treatment length that might account
for the discrepancy. One additional possibility is that the effect of ICI on body weight may vary
depending on initial body weights. In the present work, initial body weights averaged 215 g,
whereas in both other studies, initial body weights were approximately 270–276 g. It is possible
that in heavier rats, ICI may have a greater volume of distribution, increased sequestration into
adipose tissue, and/or increased plasma clearance. These possibilities are supported by studies
showing that increased body mass can alter the pharmacokinetic properties of some drugs (35).

Therefore, the net result of these effects could be to reduce ICI exposure in brain tissue and
limit its ability to stimulate ER signaling. Importantly, it is unlikely that rats in our study
inadvertently received EE administration because uterine weights were similar to those from
vehicle-treated rats (Fig. 4 ).
Our results suggest that ICI has relatively low clearance in plasma and brain and hypothalamic
tissues of OVX rats when administered at 1 mg/kg·d for 3 d, and can persist in all three
compartments for at least 24 h after the last dose. In fact, the concentrations of ICI for each
tissue were found to be similar at the 0.5 and 24-h time points (Fig. 1B). This relatively low
clearance suggests that ICI could accumulate, particularly in lipid compartments such as brain
and adipose tissues, after daily systemic administration. Although somewhat speculative, this
type of accumulation could alter the pharmacokinetic and pharmacodynamic properties of ICI
over time. Consistent with this idea, ICI treatment at 1 mg/kg·d for 2 d did not block the effect
of EB on lordosis, ear wiggling, or hops and darts but reduced the effect of EB on all three
parameters when administered at 1 mg/kg·d for 24 d (2). Thus, the potential functional effects
of ICI on CNS-mediated endpoints may depend on both the doses tested and the time period
over which dosing is conducted.
A question that occurs is what are the relative roles of ER and β in mediating the effects of
ICI on the endpoints measured in the current study (i.e. TST regulation in the MD model and
body weight change). Because ICI binds to both receptors with similar affinities (36) and both
receptors appear to have broad distribution in the brain, including the hypothalamus (37), the
relative roles of the and β-subtypes are not easily discerned. Regarding body weight, several
studies suggest that estrogen’s effect is ER mediated. In support of this idea, in two separate
studies, the ER agonist 4,4',4''-(4-propyl-[1H]-pyrazole-1,3,5-triyl)trisphenol decreased food
intake and body weight in OVX rats, whereas the ERβ agonist 2,3-bis(4-hyroxyphenyl)-
propionitrile had no effect (38, 39). In addition, EB had no effect on body weight and food
intake in OVX ER knockout mice, suggesting that the β-subtype is insufficient to mediate the
effect of estrogen on these endpoints (40). Finally, other studies have shown that estrogenic
inhibition of feeding occurs through ER-expressing neurons located in the nucleus tractus
solitarius (32). In contrast to these results, in a single study using oligonucleotide knockdown
of ERs in the brain, only ERβ antisense probes blocked the effect of estradiol on body weight
and food intake (41). However, the ability of their probes to reduce ER expression in the brain
was not reported. Thus, based on current data, it appears that the effect of ICI on body weight
change observed in the current study is mediated through the ER receptor subtype. However,
this hypothesis will need to be confirmed in future studies.
Less is known about the respective roles of the ER and β-receptor subtypes in temperature
regulation. Both receptors have been implicated in the regulation of TST elevations in mice

regulation.
The antiestrogenic properties of ICI in the brain as well as uterine tissues have been well
established (1, 28, 43, 44). However, results from our work and others suggest that ICI may not
be a pure antiestrogen. Intrahippocampal infusion of ICI has mimicked the effect of EB on
place learning in OVX rats (43). In addition, Sibonga et al. (24) have shown that, like 17 β-
estradiol (45), ICI treatment (1.5 mg/kg·d) decreases the cancellous bone formation rate in
OVX rats. Finally, in primary hippocampal neurons, both ICI and 17 β-estradiol promoted
neuronal survival against excitotoxic- and β amyloid-induced cell death, induced rapid calcium
influxes, increased spinophilin and Bcl-2 expression, and increased phosphorylation of ERK2
and Akt (25). Thus, ICI appears to have mixed antagonist and agonist properties, and its
pharmacology now seems to be more similar to other selective ER modulators (SERMs), such
as raloxifene and tamoxifen, then initially reported. The precise mechanisms supporting the
mixed pharmacology of ICI are unknown, however, it may be related to the differential
regulation of ER dimers in the absence or presence of an estrogen. It is well known that ER
dimerization is a key step in the activation of estrogen signaling pathways. Using a yeast two-
hybrid system, Wang et al. (46) found that ICI induced ER dimerization when given alone but
destabilized ER dimers in the presence of an estrogen. Therefore, it is possible that ICI-induced
receptor dimerization could lead to activation of estrogen responsive pathways, whereas
destabilization of ER dimers in the presence of an estrogen would block signaling. In support
of this idea, ICI was found to activate a subset of estrogen-responsive genes in MCF-7 cells, a
breast cancer cell line, grown in hormone-depleted medium (47). Although this explanation
might account for the antagonist and agonist-like effects of ICI observed in the MD model and
on body weight change in the current study, it cannot be broadly applicable to all endpoints
because ICI had no detectable estrogenic-like effect on uterine tissue. Currently, it is not well
understood how the tissue-selective agonist/antagonist properties of SERMs, like ICI,
tamoxifen, and raloxifene, manifest. It has been hypothesized that agonist/antagonist activities
of SERMs result from specific ligand-induced conformational changes in ERs that alter
coactivator/corepressor protein binding, and selectively influence different genomic and/or
nongenomic signaling pathways (48). In addition, cell-specific promoter context could play a
role in determining whether a SERM will elicit estrogenic or antiestrogenic actions.
The clinical use of ICI is not likely to be altered significantly by the results from the present
work. However, our results do offer a mechanistic explanation for the occurrence of hot flushes
in premenopausal women treated with fulvestrant (8). In addition, the use of fulvestrant in
premenopausal women would be expected to induce other CNS-related menopause-like
Psymptoms such as sleep disturbances, mood changes, loss of energy, weight gain, and
decreased libido (49). Because most of these symptoms are not life threatening, it is unlikely
that they would limit the use of fulvestrant for treating advanced breast cancer patients.
Although we found that ICI has weak estrogenic-like activity on certain CNS-mediated
functions, it is also unlikely that these results will affect the use of fulvestrant for treating breast
cancer patients. Previous work has shown that ICI inhibits human breast cancer cell
proliferation (1), and agonist-like activity would be inconsistent with the studies showing the
utility of fulvestrant in treating ER-positive breast cancer (6, 7).
In summary, we have shown that, in contrast to previous conclusions, ICI is capable of crossing
the BBB, penetrating brain and hypothalamic tissues, and exerting functional effects on
neuroendocrine endpoints after systemic administration. We have also found that ICI is not a
pure antiestrogen, and may have a mix of both agonist and antagonist activities on certain
CNS-mediated functions. Therefore, future studies should consider the potential for ICI to
influence estrogen-related functions in the CNS after systemic dosing.

06-12-2009, 05:52 PM
Lani is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2009, 06:11 AM   #5
Cannon

Hi PattyZ,

You are being so strong and so brave, I know you will make the most of whatever you have or is given to you. Thanks for being an inspiration.

Rebecca
Taxol+Herceptin weekly x12, continuing with Herceptin, finished one year in 12/07
33 Rads
Femara for 5+ years, staying on (started with Arimidex, switched after about a month, much happier)
Abnormal brain MRI shows no cancer, but "extensive white matter diease" - unknown cause
BRCA negative - lots of cancer in my family
survivor of thyroid cancer
also have Crohn's disease
CT and bone scan say NED as of 5/13
dx with severe cardiomyopathy 5/12 (likely due to chemo and Herceptin), ejection fraction in low 20's, now up to 40, went to 50, latest read 12/13 is back down to 35
1/13 Acute pancreatitis - are you kidding me?
9/13 started Humira for Crohn's. starting to have some energy again
B12 and Vit D both needed supplementation
Cataracts in both eyes noted 6/12 - surgery in the next 2-4 years?
4/14 Kidney stones/blockage/infection - related to Crohn's Disease
5/14 My aunt passed away - she was diagnosed after I was with Stage I - not Her2+, then Stage 4 for about one year
6/14 Scans - still NED, thank God. However, broken rib (I didn't notice) lots of bone degeneration osteopenia/osteoporosis. I also still have cardiomyopathy secondary to chemo.
Cannon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2009, 06:40 AM   #6
hermiracles

Hey Patty Z - am I reading this correctly? you had some sort of 'crash' - that I must have missed completely. You seemed to be going along reasonably well last time I read one of your posts

Anyway hope things are starting to improve for you. Im not quite sure from your post here?? Maybe Im just confused.
Blessings
Hermiracles
09/07 Stage 2 bilat. mastectomy R/ b. clear extens DCIS/IDC Paget’s 8 nodes clear ER(<5%) HER2+++ CT clear
11/07 Portacath - FEC
15/11/07 Stage 4 Emerg op - hip replacemt #NOF bone mets H/Taxotere
12/07 Rx to 'spots' on spine/R/hip/femur 3wkly H
2008 H+T mets to rib/sternum? Aredia CT clear! Cont. H + Aredia 07/08 1 wk Palliative Care - mets to lungs + ?1 to brain
09/08 Stop H complete Epirubicin 1wk PC new brain mets
10/08 2wks WBR 1wk PC 22/10/08 Tykerb/Xeloda 12/08 6 CEREBRAL METS COMPLETELY GONE! Rib mets down to <1cm.
01/09 Tumour markers normal! Rx to L/arm
03/09 LUNGS CLEAR (ALL NODULES GONE!), brain clear, liver clear. Bones stable! ~ THANK YOU GOD
07/09 Repeat CT Scan ~ ALL organs clear apart from bones which remain stable. I walk in gratitude.
hermiracles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2009, 09:23 AM   #7
freyja

Pattyz you are a super great gal. Thank you for sharing your experience with us. I wish I had good useful information for you, but thankfully we have Lani for that! Keep up the posts when you can. My thoughts and blessings to you, Celeste

"Dancers Against Cancer" in the Eugene, OR Komen Race for the Cure 2010
Diagnosed 8/7/08 with stage 3 invasive ductal carcinoma, micropapillary pattern, Her2 3+, ER+,PR-, grade II, positive lymph nodes.
Received 6doses of Taxotere, Carboplatin with Herceptin continuing for a year...DONE.
1/28/09 Left Modified Radical Mastectomy, Right Simple Mastectomy.
Surgery pathology: No invasive carcinoma present and 17 lymph nodes removed all negative! Only small amount of carcinoma in situ in left breast.
March/April '09, Radiation to left chest wall.
Currently involved in Neratinib clinical trial.

"Well being I won
and wisdom too,
I grew and joyed in my growth;
from a word to a word
I was led to a word
from a deed to another deed." (Odin)

freyja is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2009, 11:00 AM   #8
Mary Anne in TX

Patty, you're one heck of a gal! I can see you riding that cart in Walmart and winking your way thru the isles and NOT....I repeat....Not falling off at the wild turns! Time is such a funny thing....measured in love gathered & spent, I think.
I'm hoping for good results from your care and many joyful moments during the treatment! Much love to ya, ma

Diag. 12/05 at age 60
Stage II, Grade 3, 4.5 cm primary tumor
ER/PR- Her2 +3 strongly positive
Her2 by FISH 7.7 amplified
vascular invasion
Ki67 20% borderline
Jan - March '06 Taxotere/Adriamycin X 3 to try to shrink tumor - it grew
April '06 Rt Modified Radical Mas, 7 of 9 nodes positive
April - Aug. '06 Herceptin/Taxol/Carboplatin X 8 (dose dense)
Sept - Dec. '06 Navelbine/Herceptin x 8 (dose dense)
Radiation & Herceptin Jan. 22 - March 1, 2007
Finished Herceptin Dec. 10 '08! One extra year.
Port removed August, 2012.
8 1/2 years since diagnosis! 5 1/2 Years NED!
Mary Anne in TX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2009, 11:44 AM   #9
StephN

OK, Patty -
ASK and you shall receive!

Lani came up with the Britannica version. I had to go through it in 3 bits, as MY brain can't process all that at once.

I hope you can wade through it and find something of use in this new fight.

Love and {{{cyberhugs}}}

MY STORY SO FAR ~~~~
Found suspicious lump 9/2000
Lumpectomy, then node dissection and port placement
Stage IIB, 8 pos nodes of 18, Grade 3, ER & PR -
Adriamycin 12 weekly, taxotere 4 rounds
36 rads - very little burning
3 mos after rads liver full of tumors, Stage IV Jan 2002, one spot on sternum
Weekly Taxol, Navelbine, Herceptin for 27 rounds to NED!
2003 & 2004 no active disease - 3 weekly Herceptin + Zometa
Jan 2005 two mets to brain - Gamma Knife on Jan 18
All clear until treated cerebellum spot showing activity on Jan 2006 brain MRI & brain PET
Brain surgery on Feb 9, 2006 - no cancer, 100% radiation necrosis - tumor was still dying
Continue as NED while on Herceptin & quarterly Zometa
Fall-2006 - off Zometa - watching one small brain spot (scar?)
2007 - spot/scar in brain stable - finished anticoagulation therapy for clot along my port-a-catheter - 3 angioplasties to unblock vena cava
2008 - Brain and body still NED! Port removed and scans in Dec.
Dec 2008 - stop Herceptin - Vaccine Trial at U of W begun in Oct. of 2011
STILL NED everywhere in Feb 2014 - on wing & prayer
7/14 - Started twice yearly Zometa for my bones
Jan. 2015 checkup still shows NED
2015 Neuropathy in feet - otherwise all OK - still NED.
Same news for 2016 and all of 2017.
Nov of 2017 - had small skin cancer removed from my face. Will have Zometa end of Jan. 2018.
StephN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2009, 12:24 PM   #10
Barbara H.

Hi Patty,
Thank you for your update. You and Lani and others here are so valuable in providing insight on how to deal with brain mets. I have applauded your decision to travel this road without WBR. This option was also offered to me over 5 years ago and I refused the WBR. So far that decision has worked for me, but I don't know what the future will bring.

My thoughts are with you, and I will continue to hope that a treatment will be developed to help you. Two years ago I started the TDM1 trial, and it has worked for me. Although it is not currently available for patients with brain mets, I hope that it will be approved soon enough for you to try. Researchers are working on new targeted therapies; they need to work on more options for brain issues and offer them in trials.

You are a hero for me, and I always read your posts. Again, thank you for sharing. You are also a great help to many people.

Best regards,
Barbara H.
Barbara H. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2009, 01:09 PM   #11
Lani

new pubmed search part 1:J Neurooncol. 2009 Jun 26. [Epub ahead of print] Links

Clinical improvement and survival in breast cancer leptomeningeal metastasis correlate with the cytologic response to intrathecal chemotherapy.

Clatot F, Philippin-Lauridant G, Ouvrier MJ, Nakry T, Laberge-Le-Couteulx S, Guillemet C, Veyret C, Blot E.
Département d'Oncologie Médicale, Centre Henri-Becquerel, Rue d'Amiens, 76038, Rouen Cedex, France.
Leptomeningeal meningitis occurs in approximately 5% of metastatic breast cancers, and there is no standard treatment for this complication. We retrospectively analyzed the clinical data and cerebrospinal fluid of 24 patients treated with high-dose intrathecal methotrexate for breast cancer leptomeningeal meningitis (BLM). Cytologic response (CSF cytology without neoplastic cells after treatment) was observed in 11 patients (46%) and related to survival (P = 0.005). In addition, clinical symptoms improved in all 11 patients who had a cytologic response and in 7 patients (54%) without cytologic response (P = 0.02). The predictive value of cytologic response needs further confirmation. Cytologic response could be helpful in the management of intrathecal chemotherapy in patients with BLM.
PMID: 19557501 [PubMed - as supplied by publisher]
^^^^
Neurol Sci. 2009 Jun;30(3):251-4. Epub 2009 Mar 4. Links

Neoplastic meningitis from breast carcinoma with complete response to liposomal cytarabine: case report.

Gaviani P, Silvani A, Corsini E, Erbetta A, Salmaggi A.
Neuro Oncology Department, Fondazione IRCCS Istituto Neurologico Carlo Besta, Milan, Italy. paola.gaviani@istituto-besta.it
Neoplastic meningitis from breast cancer often leads to a progressive neurologic deterioration followed by fatal outcome. The therapy is based on the administration of high dose systemic chemotherapy with drugs able to pass through the blood-brain barrier, such as methotrexate (MTX) and cytarabine, cranial or craniospinal irradiation, and intrathecal (IT) administration of MTX and/or cytarabine. However, these approaches only have modest efficacy and are associated with side effects for the patients. A depot formulation of liposomal cytarabine (DepoCyte) has proven to be useful in clinical trials. We describe the case of a woman with a diagnosis of leptomeningeal carcinomatosis from breast carcinoma who presented cerebrospinal fluid normalization and prolonged complete MRI response to intrathecal chemotherapy with liposomal cytarabine (DepoCyte).
PMID: 19259616 [PubMed - in process]

Related
&&&
Cancer. 2009 May 1;115(9):1947-53.Links

Intracranial dural metastases.

Nayak L, Abrey LE, Iwamoto FM.
Department of Neurology, Memorial Sloan-Kettering Cancer Center, New York, New York, USA.
BACKGROUND:: Intracranial dural metastases (IDM) are found at autopsy in 9% of patients with advanced systemic cancer. However, to the authors' knowledge, IDM have not been studied systematically in the modern neuroimaging era. The objective of the current study was to evaluate the demographics, clinical presentation, imaging, treatment, and prognosis of patients with IDM. METHODS:: The current study was a retrospective review of 122 patients with IDM diagnosed at Memorial Sloan-Kettering Cancer Center between 1999 and 2006. Patients with concurrent brain or leptomeningeal metastases were excluded. RESULTS:: Sixty-one percent of the patients were women; the median age at diagnosis was 59 years, the median Karnofsky performance scale (KPS) at diagnosis was 80, and the median time to IDM diagnosis from initial cancer diagnosis was 37 months. Breast (34%) and prostate (17%) cancers were the most frequent primary tumors associated with IDM. Fifty-six percent of patients had a single dural metastasis. On imaging, 70% had metastases of the overlying skull, 44% had dural tail metastases, 53% had vasogenic edema, and 34% had brain invasion. Direct extension from skull metastases was the most common mode of spread. Eighty-three percent of patients had active systemic disease at the time of IDM diagnosis. A lower KPS and lung cancer were associated with worse overall survival. Surgical resection and chemotherapy improved progression-free survival, but only resection was found to be associated with improved overall survival. CONCLUSIONS:: IDM affect a significant proportion of cancer patients. KPS and status of systemic cancer should guide treatment decisions. Cancer 2009. (c) 2009 American Cancer Society.
PMID: 19241421 [PubMed - indexed for MEDLINE]
^^^^

Annals of Oncology 2009 20(4):

letters to the editor

Intrathecal trastuzumab and thiotepa for leptomeningeal spread of breast cancer

A 31-year-old woman underwent a right segmental mastectomy in October 1999 for a pT2, pN2 invasive ductal carcinoma, negative for estrogen receptor/progesterone receptor, positive for amplification of human epidermal growth factor receptor-2 (HER-2). She received adjuvant chemotherapy (doxorubicin + cyclophosphamide, followed by paclitaxel) and local radiotherapy. Two and a half years after surgery, she developed multiple liver metastases. She received i.v. carboplatin, paclitaxel, and trastuzumab, followed by capecitabine and trastuzumab, with a radiological completeresponse. Approximately 14 months later (April 2004), a single brain lesion was detected on magnetic resonance imaging (MRI), in the right occipital lobe. The lesion was surgically resected, followed by external beam whole-brain radiation. In August 2006, the patient presented with visual impairment, ptosis of the right eye, right hemi-facial hypoesthesia, left foot drop, andparalysis of the left facial nerve. An MRI exam revealed a right occipital brain lesion (1.5 cm), diffuse leptomeningeal metastases (LM), a cervical extramedullary intradural enhancing lesion (C1–C3), an intramedullary lesion centered at T12, and a nodular area of enhancement on the roots of the cauda equina. Only a suspicious 6-mm lung nodule was found on systemic restaging. A diagnostic lumbar puncture was carried out, and cytology of the cerebro-spinal fluid (CSF) was positive for cancer cells (5% of malignant cells). CSF glucose, lactate dehydrogenase, and protein levels were always normal.
After placement of an Ommaya reservoir, she was started on intrathecal (i.t.) trastuzumab, initially on a weekly schedule, with gradual dose increase from 20 to 30 mg (Table 1), later combined with i.t. methotrexate (10 mg) for two doses. To reduce the risk of anaphylaxis and neurotoxicity from the preservative agent [1], i.t. trastuzumab was administered without the diluent provided. Interestingly, after the first dose of i.t. trastuzumab, all subsequent CSF cytologies were negative for malignant cells. After the two first doses of i.t. trastuzumab, we also started i.v. trastuzumab, that was never interrupted afterwards, and i.v. pegylated liposomal doxorubicin (PLD; Caelyx/Doxil®) (see Table 1 for details of i.t. and i.v. treatments). She also received radiotherapy to the lower thoracic–lumbar spine. After the second dose of i.v. PLD, she developed prolonged grade 2 fatigue, grade 3 anemia, grade 3 neutropenia, and grade 2 lethargy. Nevertheless, there was an improvement in visual acuity and ambulation plus resolution of her headaches and eye ptosis. A repeat brain MRI showed a decrease in size and enhancement of the supra- and infratentorial lesions and no new lesions. After she recuperated from toxicity, the i.t. trastuzumab wasrestarted at the dose of 40 mg every 3 weeks and was maintained for 8 months, during which her symptoms slowly improved, even with concomitant steroid withdrawal. Furthermore, new MRI/positron emission tomography studies confirmed a remarkable response in both the spinal cord lesion and the brain LM. In July 2007, 10 months after i.t. trastuzumab was started, a new MRI showed an enlargement of the lesions in the supra- and infratentorial levels, even in the absence of new central nervous system (CNS) lesions or new symptoms. I.t. trastuzumab (40 mg) was continued every 3 weeks, adding i.t. thiotepa 10 mg. The treatment was overall well tolerated, except for one episode of right face Herpes zoster which rapidly resolved. After 6 months of continuous i.t. treatment at such doses, the i.t. trastuzumab was increased to 50 mg and the i.t. thiotepa to 12 mg every 3 weeks, and these doses were administered from February 2008 until August 2008. The treatment was remarkably well tolerated, even when combined with i.v. chemotherapy (vinorelbine, paclitaxel), in the presence of systemic progression (lungs, sternum, breast). Restaging of the CNS lesions in January 2008, after five cycles with combined thiotepa, revealed that all the lesions were stable or slightly decreased. However, another MRI of the brain in May 2008, as compared with January 2008, demonstrated a significant improvement, with some LM significantly decreasing in size, and other lesions no longer visualized (Figure 1). The patient remains well and is fully functional at this time. She has only residual facial paralysis.

View this table:
[in this window]
[in a new window]

Table 1. Time line of intrathecal and i.v. treatments (September 2006–August 2008)

View larger version (99K):
[in this window]
[in a new window]
[Download PowerPoint slide]
Figure 1. Improvement of MRI findings after increase in the doses of intrathecal trastuzumab and thiotepa.

HER-2-positive cancers have a higher rate of dissemination to CNS [2]. An aggressive treatment on the CNS involvement was particularly justified in our patient, given that the disease was systemically well controlled. Nevertheless, symptomatic dissemination to the leptomeninges usually carries a short-term prognosis [3], and i.t. treatment in most cases has a minor impact [4]. Five reports of i.t. trastuzumab were published so far [5–9]. I.t. thiotepa [5] or methotrexate [8] was also given in two cases. Our report offers further evidence on the safety of i.t. trastuzumab and strongly suggests that this approach can have a significant impact on HER-2-positive LM: our patient is alive and with an excellent performance status (Eastern Cooperative Oncology Group 0) after >2 years since the diagnosis of heavily symptomatic LM. During this time, she has been almost continuously treated with i.t. trastuzumab, efficiently delivered using an Ommaya reservoir. Initially, it was particularly difficult to evaluate the effectiveness of the treatment, as symptoms took several months to clearly improve, even if CSF cytology became negative after the first i.t. injection. The positive results of the first MRI led us to continue the i.t. treatment, even in the presence of an ambiguous clinical evolution. This suggests that MRI imaging could be the best single parameter to evaluate treatment efficacy and to predict a clinical benefit.
Our experience suggests that it is safe to combine i.t. trastuzumab with systemic trastuzumab-based chemotherapy regimens. Our patient had more side-effects with concomitant liposomal doxorubicin, given shortly after radiotherapy to the spine and when her performance status was still poor, while concomitant weekly schedules ofvinorelbine or paclitaxel with i.v. trastuzumab were both characterized by a remarkable lack of toxicity. It is not possible to distinguish between the effect of i.t. and i.v. treatments on our patient's CNS metastases, but most likely the i.t. treatment had a major role in achieving long-term control of meningeal disease. Trastuzumab is unable to cross the blood–brain barrier [10], and even after neurosurgery and radiotherapy, the i.t. concentration of trastuzumab is significantly lower than the serum concentration. Significantly higher levels can be achieved through i.t. administration [6].

The combination of i.t. trastuzumab with thiotepa is particularly promising. We suggest that 50 mg of i.t. trastuzumab and 12 mg of i.t. thiotepa can be safely administered in repeated 3-week cycles. A number of preclinical studies showed a significant synergism between these two agents [11]. Indeed, after progression on single-agent i.t. trastuzumab, the LM in our patients were controlled with the addition of thiotepa, and the most relevant radiological response was reported after an increase of the i.t. doses of both drugs. No steroid was given at this time and thus this is not a confounding factor in the response to the treatment.

Even if meningeal carcinomatosis is not accurately ‘measurable’, as per RECIST criteria, this is one of few reports of a radiological response of meningeal metastases to a medical treatment, associated with the longest survival reported with i.t. trastuzumab after diagnosis of LM.

C. Ferrario*, A. Davidson, N. Bouganim, R. Aloyz and L. C. Panasci

Department of Oncology, McGill University, Lady Davis Institute at Jewish General Hospital, Montréal, Québec, Canada

* (E-mail: cristianoferrario@gmail.com)

^^^^^

Intrathecal trastuzumab (Herceptin) and methotrexate for meningeal carcinomatosis in HER2-overexpressing metastatic breast cancer: a case report.
Anticancer Drugs. 2008 Sep; 19(8):832-6.
[Anticancer Drugs. 2008]
High-dose intrathecal trastuzumab for leptomeningeal metastases secondary to HER-2 overexpressing breast cancer.
Ann Oncol. 2008 Nov; 19(11):1978-80. Epub 2008 Oct 9.
[Ann Oncol. 2008]
Intrathecal chemotherapy in carcinomatous meningitis from breast cancer.
Anticancer Res. 2002 Sep-Oct; 22(5):3057-9.
[Anticancer Res. 2002]
ReviewLeptomeningeal metastasis.
Cancer Invest. 2005; 23(2):145-54.
[Cancer Invest. 2005]
ReviewManagement of leptomeningeal malignancy.
Expert Opin Pharmacother. 2005 Jun; 6(7):1115-25.
[Expert Opin Pharmacother. 2005]
Old 08-23-2009, 01:11 PM   #12
Lani

pArt two of pubmed search:

Anticancer Drugs. 2008 Sep;19(8):832-6.

Intrathecal trastuzumab (Herceptin) and methotrexate for meningeal carcinomatosis in HER2-overexpressing metastatic breast cancer: a case report.

Stemmler HJ, Mengele K, Schmitt M, Harbeck N, Laessig D, Herrmann KA, Schaffer P, Heinemann V.
Medical Department III, Ludwig-Maximilians-University of Munich, Klinikum Grosshadern, Munich, Germany. Joachim.Stemmler@med.uni-muenchen.de
Leptomeningeal carcinomatosis represents a rare manifestation of metastatic breast cancer (MBC). We herewith report on a patient suffering from HER2 overexpressing MBC who received intrathecal methotrexate and trastuzumab for meningeal carcinomatosis. A 48-year-old woman was diagnosed with breast cancer in December 2002. Following surgery, six cycles of adjuvant FE100C plus irradiation and, subsequently for 1 year, trastuzumab were given. As a result of disseminated metastatic spread in October 2005, the patient received whole-brain radiotherapy for symptomatic central nervous system involvement, and was put on several trastuzumab-based combination regimens (capecitabine, vinorelbine, paclitaxel). In June 2006, the patient developed clinical signs of terminal cone involvement with overflow incontinence and paraparesis of the legs. Immediate radiation led to partial relief from clinical symptoms. Subsequently, the patient was put on the tyrosine kinase inhibitor lapatinib and capecitabine (August to October 2007), but on November 6th the patient suffered again from overflow incontinence and weakness of the legs. Failing to respond to lapatinib, the patient received gemcitabine/cisplatin and, additionally, was recommenced on intravenous trastuzumab. Owing to progressive leptomeningeal disease, the patient received repeated doses of intrathecal methotrexate and trastuzumab. Within 2 weeks and four intrathecal treatments, cerebrospinal fluid cytology showed the absence of tumor cells. Moreover, a striking clinical improvement with resolution of the paraparesis of the legs and overflow incontinence was observed. This case report gives details regarding the clinical course of a breast cancer patient who received intrathecal trastuzumab and methotrexate via lumbar puncture for meningeal carcinomatosis of HER2-overexpressing MBC.
PMID: 18690096 [PubMed - indexed for MEDLINE]
Liposomal cytarabine given concomitantly with radiotherapy in a patient with leptomeningeal metastasis from breast cancer
Journal Journal of Neurology
Publisher Steinkopff
ISSN 0340-5354 (Print) 1432-1459 (Online)
Issue Volume 255, Number 11 / November, 2008
Category Letter to the Editors
DOI 10.1007/s00415-008-0014-8
Pages 1838-1839
Subject Collection Medicine
SpringerLink Date Saturday, July 26, 2008

M. Glas1 , M. Stuplich1, H. Tschampa2, H. Urbach2, K. Rasch1 and U. Herrlinger1

(1) Clinical Neurooncology Unit, Dept. of Neurology, University of Bonn, Medical Center, Bonn, Germany
(2) Dept. of Radiology, University of Bonn, Medical Center, Bonn, Germany
Published online: 25 July 2008

M. Glas
Email: martin.glas@ukb.uni-bonn.de
Fulltext Preview (Small, Large)

Links

Successful treatment of leptomeningeal metastases from breast cancer using the combination of trastuzumab and capecitabine: a case report.

Shigekawa T, Takeuchi H, Misumi M, Matsuura K, Sano H, Fujiuchi N, Okubo K, Osaki A, Aogi K, Saeki T.
Department of Breast Oncology, Saitama Medical University International Medical Center, 1397-1 Yamane, Hidaka, Saitama, 350-1298, Japan. takshige@saitama-med.ac.jp
We report a case of metastatic breast cancer with leptomeninges and multiple bone metastases that showed an excellent response to the combination of trastuzumab and capecitabine; therapeutic effect was evaluated by MRI at follow-up. A 44-year-old woman underwent modified radical mastectomy in February 1997. In April 2003, a tumor at the right basis cerebri and multiple bone metastases were noted, and in October 2003, she underwent enucleation of the tumor. Histopathologically, the tumor was consistent with a basal skull metastasis from breast cancer. In March 2004, the patient began to experience pain, weakness, and paresthesia of both legs. She was diagnosed, with leptomeningeal metastasis (LM) from breast cancer using MRI. In December 2005, the combination of trastuzumab and capecitabine administered as sixth-line treatment was very effective for LM. Although it is generally very difficult to diagnose LM and assess the therapeutic effect with MRI, in this case, it was possible. To our knowledge, there has been no report in the literature describing the combination of trastuzumab and capecitabine for LM from breast cancer. Although the mechanism underlying the efficacy of this combination is still unknown, the treatment would be worth trying because of its few side effects in extensively treated patients with LM from breast cancer. To confirm the antitumor efficacy of trastuzumab and capecitabine, however, further investigations are required.
PMID: 18478315 [PubMed - indexed for MEDLINE]

J Neurooncol. 2007 Nov;85(2):223-7. Epub 2007 Jul 5. Links

Capecitabine therapy of central nervous system metastases from breast cancer.

Ekenel M, Hormigo AM, Peak S, Deangelis LM, Abrey LE.
Department of Neurology, Memorial Sloan-Kettering Cancer Center, 1275 York Ave, New York, NY 10021, USA. ekenelm@mskcc.org
Central nervous system (CNS) metastases from breast cancer carry a poor prognosis. Systemic chemotherapy is often ineffective due to the impermeability of the blood-brain barrier (BBB) and inherent chemoresistance of CNS metastases. There are limited data supporting the use of capecitabine in this setting. Medical records of seven patients with brain metastases from breast cancer who received capecitabine treatment at Memorial Sloan-Kettering Cancer Center from 1994-2006 were reviewed. Treatment outcomes were analyzed retrospectively in those patients. Median time from breast cancer diagnosis to the development of CNS metastasis was 48 (18-165) months. Four patients had brain metastases alone, two patients had both leptomeningeal and brain metastases and one patient had leptomeningeal metastasis alone. Five out of seven patients had failed other treatment modalities before capecitabine. Three patients showed complete response (CR) and three patients had stable disease (SD) after capecitabine. The patient with leptomeningeal disease improved clinically, but refused repeat cerebrospinal fluid (CSF) studies. Median overall and progression-free survival from initiation of capecitabine was 13 and 8 months, respectively, for all patients. Capecitabine may achieve a CR and provide long-term control in patients with both leptomeningeal and parenchymal CNS metastases from breast cancer.
PMID: 17611719 [PubMed - indexed for M

: Curr Treat Options Neurol. 2007 Jul;9(4):283-293. Links

Leptomeningeal Neoplasms.

Drappatz J, Batchelor TT.
Jan Drappatz, MD Harvard Medical School, Department of Neurology, Brigham and Women’s Hospital and Dana-Farber/Brigham and Women’s Cancer Center, Center for Neuro-Oncology, 44 Binney Street SW 430, Boston, MA 02115, USA. jdrappatz@partners.org.
Leptomeningeal metastasis is becoming an increasingly important late complication of cancer as survival from systemic disease increases, and due to the fact that many novel cancer drugs fail to achieve therapeutic concentrations in the central nervous system. It occurs when neoplastic cells enter cerebrospinal fluid (CSF) pathways, causing diffuse infiltration of the subarachnoid space of the brain and spinal cord. Definitive diagnosis is established by the demonstration of malignant cells in the CSF. However, in certain circumstances the presence of leptomeningeal enhancement on brain or spinal MRI may be sufficient to make the diagnosis. Early diagnosis and aggressive treatment may delay neurologic progression and can lead to prolonged survival and improvement of neurologic function in certain patients. The prognosis depends on the underlying malignancy but is often poor, with a median survival of 4 months, and most treatment interventions are palliative. Nevertheless, some patients respond to treatment, and some survive beyond 1 or 2 years after diagnosis. Areas of radiographic bulky disease or symptomatic tumor should receive radiotherapy. Intrathecal chemotherapy is most effective in patients with lymphoma, leukemia, or breast cancer and without evidence of bulky disease on neuroimaging. Intrathecal chemotherapy requires normal CSF flow, and the most commonly used agents are methotrexate, cytarabine, and thiotepa. In lieu of intrathecal therapy, systemic chemotherapy may occasionally be indicated in select patients in part based on its ability to penetrate into bulky disease. When hydrocephalus occurs, ventriculoperitoneal shunting frequently leads to rapid clinical improvement. There is hope that progress in diagnostic modalities and the development of more effective intrathecal antineoplastic drugs may decrease neurologic morbidity and improve quality of life and survival.
PMID: 17580008 [PubMed - as supplied by publisher]

J Neurooncol. 2007 Aug;84(1):57-62. Epub 2007 Feb 20

Breast cancer leptomeningeal metastasis--the role of multimodality treatment.

Rudnicka H, Niwińska A, Murawska M.
Department of Breast Cancer, Maria Sklodowska Curie Memorial Cancer Center and Institute of Oncology, Roentgen 5 str., 02-781, Warsaw, Poland.
AIM: The aim of the study was to assess the efficacy of multimodality treatment of patients with Leptomeningeal metastasis (LM) and to establish which method of treatment has the greatest positive impact on survival. MATERIAL AND METHODS: Clinical material included 67 consecutive breast cancer patients with LM treated at the Cancer Center in Warsaw between the years 2000 and 2005. Intrathecal chemotherapy was given to 57 pts (85%), intravenous chemotherapy to 41 pts (61%), whole brain radiotherapy to 33 pts (49%) and radiotherapy to the spinal leptomeninges to 10 (15%). For 27 pts (40%) three methods of treatment were used. Univariate and multivariate analyses were used to evaluate the impact of the particular method of treatment on survival and to assess the efficacy of combined modalities. RESULTS: Clinical response was achieved in 49 pts (76%). Median survival calculated from the diagnosis of LM was 16 weeks (range 1-402 weeks). Univariate analysis showed positive impact of systemic intravenous chemotherapy (P = 0.0009), intrathecal chemotherapy (P = 0.008) and whole brain radiotherapy (P = 0.004) on survival. The results of Cox multivariate analysis have shown systemic chemotherapy (P < 0.001) and intrathecal chemotherapy (P = 0.001) to be significant. CONCLUSIONS: Intravenous chemotherapy and, independently, intrathecal chemotherapy improve survival in breast cancer patients with LM. Radiotherapy has a positive impact on the quality of life due to the alleviation of neurological symptoms. The role of radiotherapy in prolonging survival is questionable.
PMID: 17310266 [PubMed - indexed for MEDLINE]

Annals of Oncology 2007 18(1):199-200; doi:10.1093/annonc/mdl290

letters to the editor

Concurrent radiotherapy and capecitabine, followed by high-dose methotrexate consolidation, provided effective palliation in a patient with leptomeningeal metastases from breast cancer

A Carmona-Bayonas*
Medical Oncology and Haematology Department, Hospital Morales Meseguer, Murcia, Spain

* (E-mail: trebla_albert@hotmail.com)

We report the case of a 38-year-old patient, diagnosed with AJCC stage III-A breast cancer (T3N2MO; Estrogen and progesterone receptor negative, her2/neu-negative). She underwent right mastectomy and axillary node dissection. After surgery, she received adjuvant chemotherapy with TAC doxorubicin/docetaxel/cyclophosphamide for six courses.

She was admitted to our hospital while local radiotherapy was being carried out, because of excruciating headache and vomits. Continuous i.v. morphine at a dose of 1000 mg/day was required to achieve pain control. There was not any cranial nerve involvement, and she had an Eastern Cooperative Oncology Group performance status of 1.

Magnetic resonance and cerebrospinal fluid (CSF) cytology revealed leptomeningeal metastases. Twice daily capecitabine (850 m/m2) and whole-brain radiotherapy (30 Gy) were initiated. She also received five doses of twice weekly intrathecal methotrexate and cytarabine, with cytological improvement. During the first 2 weeks, meningeal irritation intensified as a result of intrathecal chemotherapy. From that moment, quality of life (QoL) graduallyimproved and she could be discharged taking sustained-release morphine 30 mg every 12 h, with adequately controlled symptoms. One month later, she received four courses of high-dose (HD) methotrexate (8 g/m2) with further recovery and scarce toxicity (NCI-CTC grade 2 nausea).

Progression-free survival was 6 months from the beginning of radiotherapy (3 months from the end of HD methotrexate), but progression affected mainly axial bones, and only scantily the thecal sac. Subsequently, she was treated with weekly paclitaxel (Taxol; Bristol-Myers Squibb Company, NJ) and capecitabine, for 6 months, with partial response and clinical improvement. At that time, the tumour behaved very aggressively and the patient finally died of rapid leptomeningeal progression. Overall, survival since whole-brain radiotherapy was 12 months, toxic effects were amenable and reported QoL was excellent.

Leptomeningeal carcinomatosis may be present in 2% of cases of breast cancer. A proposed prognostic model stratified patients into four groups on the basis of pretreatment characteristics [1]. According to this system, the survival for this patient should have been 5.5 months, but she finally lived more than twice the expected. This discrepancy is not probably the result of favourable tumour biology, as its short progression-free survival and clinical aggressiveness strongly suggest.

The role of systemic chemotherapy is not unequivocally defined in this condition. A nonrandomized study yielded CSF cytological response in 81% of patients with nonleukemic leptomeningeal cancer, with an overall survival of 13.8 months [2].

Capecitabine has demonstrated activity in metastatic breast cancer, with acceptable toxicity profile. Despite blood-brain-barrier, capecitabine has reported activity in central nervous system metastases [3, 4]. Capecitabine is converted to 5-fluorouracil by the enzyme thymidine phosphorylase (TP). Radiotherapy increases TP activity within tumour cells and is synergistic with capecitabine in human tumour xenografts [5]. A phase I study of capecitabineand concurrent whole-brain radiotherapy informed that combined therapy was safe and well tolerated without unexpected toxic effects.

We believe that opioid reduction and prolonged progression-free survival indicate that induction therapy with capecitabine and concurrent radiotherapy, followed by HD methotrexate, was beneficial for our patient. The main conclusion is that further phase I/II studies evaluating this protocol may contribute to optimize the treatment of this condition.

Clin Breast Cancer. 2006 Jun;7(2):164-6.Links

Long-term clinical response in leptomeningeal metastases from breast cancer treated with capecitabine monotherapy: a case report.

Tham YL, Hinckley L, Teh BS, Elledge R.
Breast Care Center, Baylor College of Medicine, Houston, TX 77030, USA. yltham@breastcenter.tmc.edu
Brain and leptomeningeal metastases from breast cancer carry a poor prognosis and are often less responsive to systemic therapy. It is often thought that systemic therapy has a minimal role in the management of central nervous system (CNS) metastases because of the impermeability of the blood-brain barrier. However, treatments directed to the CNS such as radiation or intrathecal chemotherapy are not effective in managing concurrent non-CNS metastases. We report the long-term control of a woman receiving capecitabine with brain and leptomeningeal metastases. After 3.7 years of capecitabine therapy after whole-brain radiation, the patient remains without neurologic symptoms or deficits, has no evidence of disease on neuroimaging studies, but has a persistent positive cytology. This case report demonstrates that, in principle, systemic therapy can provide long-term complete responses for some patients with CNS metastases. The significance of persistent circulating tumor cells in the CNS in patients without evidence of disease is unclear but should be investigated further.
PMID: 16800978 [PubMed - indexed for MEDLINE]
Oncol Rep. 2006 May;15(5):1373-7. Links

Application of intrathecal trastuzumab (Herceptintrade mark) for treatment of meningeal carcinomatosis in HER2-overexpressing metastatic breast cancer.

Stemmler HJ, Schmitt M, Harbeck N, Willems A, Bernhard H, Lässig D, Schoenberg S, Heinemann V.
Department of Internal Medicine III, Ludwig-Maximilians-University of Munich, Klinikum Grosshadern, D-81377 Munich, Germany. joachim.stemmler@med.uni-muenchen.de
Leptomeningeal carcinomatosis represents a rare manifestation of metastatic breast cancer (MBC). A 39-year-old female presenting with HER2-overexpressing MBC and suffering from meningeal carcinomatosis was treated with the humanized antibody trastuzumab directed to HER2 by intrathecal administration. The patient was diagnosed with HER2-overexpressing stage III breast cancer in December 2003. In August 2004, the patient developed a singular intracerebral metastasis which was resected by neurosurgery followed by whole-brain radiotherapy. Since MRI and cerebrospinal fluid (CSF) analyses indicated meningeal carcinomatosis, the patient was commenced on trastuzumab (6 mg/kg q3w) and capecitabine (2.500 mg/m2 d1-14, q3w). Prompted by clinical deterioration, 5 repeated doses of intrathecal methotrexate (15 mg/dose) were administered, yet without clinical improvement. There is initial evidence that trastuzumab does not reach an adequate concentration in CSF after intravenous application. Nevertheless, infiltration of trastuzumab into CSF is facilitated under conditions of an impaired blood-brain barrier, as it is known for meningeal carcinomatosis. For patients with leptomeningeal disease, intrathecal application of trastuzumab may provide an interesting therapeutical approach for patients with HER2 overexpressing metastatic breast cancer. Therefore, an Ommaya reservoir for intrathecal treatment with trastuzumab was placed surgically and intrathecal therapy was begun with escalating doses of trastuzumab (5-20 mg), which proved to be effective and well tolerated by the patient. Within 2 weeks after treatment, the patients' condition improved significantly and cell counts in CSF obtained from the Ommaya reservoir remained low for 11 months after first diagnosis of meningeal carcinomatosis when clinical symptoms and MRI indicated progression of meningeal and cerebral disease.
PMID: 16596213 [PubMed - indexed for MEDLINE]
J Neurooncol. 2006 Jul;78(3):255-60. Links

Erratum in:
J Neurooncol. 2006 Jul;78(3):261. Shah, Gaurav G [corrected to Shah, Gaurav D].
Systemic high-dose intravenous methotrexate for central nervous system metastases.

Lassman AB, Abrey LE, Shah GD, Panageas KS, Begemann M, Malkin MG, Raizer JJ.
Department of Neurology, Memorial Sloan-Kettering Cancer Center, New York, NY, USA. Lassmana@mskcc.org
BACKGROUND: Treatment options for patients with recurrent central nervous system (CNS) metastases are limited. Rapid infusion of high-dose intravenous methotrexate (HD IV MTX) penetrates the blood-brain barrier (BBB) and has reported activity in leptomeningeal metastases. METHODS: Medical records were reviewed for all patients treated with HD IV MTX (3.5 g/m2) for CNS parenchymal or leptomeningeal metastases. Radiographic response rate, survival, and toxicity were determined. RESULTS: Thirty-one women and one man with a median age of 52 years (range 33-76) were treated with a total of 141 cycles (median 4, range 1-13). Twenty-nine patients had breast cancer, and one each had cancer of unknown primary (CUP), squamous cell carcinoma of the head and neck, and non-small cell lung cancer (NSCLC). An objective radiographic response and stable disease were each observed in nine patients (28%), and 13 (44%) patients progressed. Prior treatment with low-dose MTX for systemic disease did not affect response (P = 0.8). The median overall survival (n = 32) was 19.9 weeks (range 2.9-135.4+) with one patient alive at 135.4 weeks. Myelosuppression and elevated serum hepatic transaminases were the most common acute toxicities (21% and 9% of HD IV MTX cycles, respectively). CONCLUSIONS: HD IV MTX is effective in the treatment of CNS metastases with disease control (response or stable) as a best response in 56% of assessable patients. Further study is warranted.
PMID: 16344918 [PubMed - indexed for MEDLINE]
Old 08-23-2009, 02:22 PM   #13
Jackie07

Patty,

Thanks for the update. I hope reading Lani's search results helps you take a deep breath and get some things going. Our understanding (even doctors') are limited - be it cancer or 'life'.

I know it's hard to take a 'bad' news - I had tears in my eyes in the hospital when I was informed of my recurrence. I thought it was automatically called a 'stage IV' - but it turned out to be a 'local-regional' recurrence. Then I found several of our Her2 sisters who were told being stage IV have continued to live well till this day (see the long-time survivor thread). So 'Stage IV' now to me only means 'we need to try harder'.

I hope you have adequate resources - friends and families, insurance, etc. Just remember you are our sister and we are here whenever you need support.

NICU 4.4 LB
Erythema Nodosum 85
Life-long Central Neurocytoma 4x5x6.5 cm 23 hrs 62090 semi-coma 10 d PT OT ST 30 d
3 Infertility tmts 99 > 3 u. fibroids > Pills
CN 3 GKRS 52301
IDC 1.2 cm Her2 +++ ER 5% R. Lmptmy SLNB+1 71703 6 FEC 33 R Tamoxifen
Recc IIB 2.5 cm Bi-L Mast 61407 2/9 nds PET
6 TCH Cellulitis - Lymphedema - compression sleeve & glove
H w x 4 MUGA 51 D, J 49 M
Diastasis recti
Tamoxifen B. scan
Irrtbl bowel 1'09
Colonoscopy 313
BRCA1 V1247I
hptc hemangioma
Vertigo
GI - > yogurt
hysterectomy/oophorectomy 011410
Exemestane 25 mg tab 102912 ~ 101016 stopped due to r. hip/l.thigh pain after long walk
DEXA 1/13
1-2016 lesions in liver largest 9mm & 1.3 cm onco. says not cancer.
3-11 Appendectomy - visually O.K., a lot of puss. Final path result - not cancer.
Start Vitamin D3 and Calcium supplement (600mg x2)
10-10 Stopped Exemestane due to r. hip/l.thigh pain OKed by Onco 11-08-2016
7-23-2018 9 mm groundglass nodule within the right lower lobe with indolent behavior. Due to possible adenocarcinoma, Recommend annual surveilence.
7-10-2019 CT to check lung nodule.
1-10-2020 8mm stable nodule on R Lung, two 6mm new ones on L Lung, a possible lymph node involvement in inter fissule.
"I WANT TO BE AN OUTRAGEOUS OLD WOMAN WHO NEVER GETS CALLED AN OLD LADY. I WANT TO GET SHARP EDGED & EARTH COLORED, TILL I FADE AWAY FROM PURE JOY." Irene from Tampa

Advocacy is a passion .. not a pastime - Joe

Last edited by Jackie07; 08-23-2009 at 05:55 PM..
Jackie07 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2009, 05:39 PM   #14
chrisy

Patty,
Thanks for sharing your latest update. You've been, and continue to be an inspiration. You have paved your own way, prognosis be darned. Sounds like there are still opportunities to regain control (thanks Lani for all the updates).

Take care of yourself - no more trips to the hospital!
10/04-3/05 Weekly Taxol/Carboplatin/Herceptin , complete response!
04/05 - 4/07 Herception every 3 wks, Continue NED
04/07 - recurrence to liver - 2 spots, starting tykerb/avastin trial
06/07 8/07 10/07 Scans show stable, continue on Tykerb/Avastin
01/08 Progression in liver
02/08 Begin (TDM1) trial
08/08 NED! It's Working! Continue on TDM1
02/09 Continue NED
02/10 Continue NED. 5/10 9/10 Scans NED 10/10 Scans NED
12/10 Scans not clear....4/11 Scans suggest progression 6/11 progression confirmed in liver
07/11 - 11/11 Herceptin/Xeloda -not working:(
12/11 Begin MM302 Phase I trial - bust:(
03/12 3rd times the charm? AKT trial

5/12 Scan shows reduction! 7/12 More reduction!!!!
8/12 Whoops...progression...trying for Perjeta/Herceptin (plus some more nasty chemo!)
9/12 Start Perjeta/Herceptin, chemo on hold due to infection/wound in leg, added on cycle 2 &3
11/12 Poops! progression in liver, Stop Perjeta/Taxo/Herc
11/12 Navelbine/Herce[ptin - try for a 3 cycles, no go.
2/13 Gemzar/Carbo/Herceptin - no go.
3/13 TACE procedure
chrisy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2009, 05:46 PM   #15
suzan w

Hey Patty Z...good to get your update even though it contained "hard" news to deliver. You have the right attitude when you say 12-18 mo. etc...yet you know someone who beat those odds...I have a great buddy, Beverly, who has been 'end stage' since last March...that was the end of her 3-6 month prognosis. She is still hanging in there...weaker, on oxygen at night, but still out in her garden when she can, visiting with kids and grandkids (one of whom was born in Feb. so she gets to know him). We all have many such stories. Keep up the good attitude!!! XO Suzan
5/05 biopsy-invasive lobular carcinoma with LCIS,8mm tumor,stage 1 grade 2, ER+ PR+ Her2+++
6/14/05 bilateral mastectomy, node neg. all scans neg.
Oncotype DX-high risk
8/05-10/05 4 rounds A/C
10/05 -10/06 1 yr. herceptin
arimidex-5 years
2/14/08 started daily self administered injections..FORTEO for severe osteoporosis
7/28/09 BRCA 1 negative BRCA2 POSITIVE
8/17/09 prophylactic salpingo-oophorectomy
10/15/10 last FORTEOinjection
RECLAST infusion(ostoeporosis)
6/14/10 5 year cancerversary!
8/2010-18%increase in bone density!
no further treatments
Oncologist says, "Go do the Happy Dance"
I say,"What a long strange trip its been"
'One day at a time'
6-14-2015. 10 YEAR CANCERVERSARY!
7-16 to 9-16. Extensive (and expensive) dental work done to save teeth. Damage from osteoporosis and chemo and long term bisphosphonate use
6-14-16. 11 YEAR CANCERVERSARY!!
7-20-16 Prolia injection for severe osteoporosis
2 days later, massive hive outbreak. This led to an eventual dx of Chronic Ideopathic Urticaria, an auto-immune disease from HELL.
6-14-17 12 YEAR CANCERVERSARY!!
still suffering from CIU. 4 hospitilizations in the past year

as of today, 10-31-17 in remission from CIU and still, CANCER FREE!!!
6-14-18 13 YEAR CANCERVERSARY!! NED!!
suzan w is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2009, 05:42 AM   #16
Sheila

Patty
You continue to be an inspiration to us all...even when the chips are down, the strength is present in your post....stay strong, continue the fight, and never give up....we are all here with you!

Hugs & Blessings
Sheila
Diagnosed at age 49.99999 2/21/2002 via Mammography (Calcifications)
Core Biopsy 2/22/02
L. Mastectomy 2/25/2002
Stage 1, 0.7cm IDC, Node Neg from 19 nodes Her2+++ ER PR Neg
6/2003 Reconstruction W/ Tissue Expander, Silicone Implant
9/2003 Stage IV with Mets to Supraclavicular nodes
9/2003 Began Herceptin every 3 weeks
3/2006 Xeloda 2500mg/Herceptin for recurrence to neck nodes
3/2007 Added back the Xeloda with Herceptin for continued mets to nodes
5/2007 Taken Off Xeloda, no longer working
6/14/07 Taxol/Herceptin/Avastin
3/26 - 5/28/08 Taxol Holiday Whopeeeeeeeee
5/29 2008 Back on Taxol w Herceptin q 2 weeks
4/2009 Progression on Taxol & Paralyzed L Vocal Cord from Nodes Pressing on Nerve
5/2009 Begin Rx with Navelbine/Herceptin
11/09 Progression on Navelbine
Fought for and started Tykerb/Herceptin...nodes are melting!!!!!
2/2010 Back to Avastin/Herceptin
5/2010 Switched to Metronomic Chemo with Herceptin...Cytoxan and Methotrexate
Pericardial Window Surgery to Drain Pericardial Effusion
7/2010 Back to walking a mile a day...YEAH!!!!
9/2010 Nodes are back with a vengence in neck
Qualified for TDM-1 EAP
10/6/10 Begin my miracle drug, TDM-1
Mixed response, shrinking internal nodes, progression skin mets after 3 treatments
12/6/10 Started Halaven (Eribulen) /Herceptin excellent results in 2 treatments
2/2011 I CELEBRATE my 9 YEAR MARK!!!!!!!!!!!!!
7/5/11 begin Gemzar /Herceptin for node progression
2/8/2012 Gemzar stopped, Continue Herceptin
2/20/2012 Begin Tomo Radiation to Neck Nodes
2/21/2012 I CELEBRATE 10 YEARS
5/12/2012 BeganTaxotere/ Herceptin is my next miracle for new node progression
6/28/12 Stopped Taxotere due to pregression, Started Perjeta/Herceptin
Sheila is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2009, 09:50 AM   #17
Joan M

Patty,

You were so very supportive of me when I had my brain met treated, and an inspiration. I'm praying that your treatment will beat back the CNS spread.

Your getting a hospital bed at home should make you more comfortable and sleep better, and it seems like you have enough help.

Lani has provided a lot of information, especially the current research on intrathecal chemo. I wonder whether there are any trials available. Perhaps your onc could check into that.

You're a warrior.

Love and hugs,

Joan
Diagnosed stage 2b in July 2003 (2.3 cm, HER2+, ER-/PR-, 7+ nodes). Treated with mastectomy (with immediate DIEP flap reconstruction), AC + T/Herceptin (off label). Cancer advanced to lung in Jan. 2007 (1 cm nodule). Started Herceptin every 3 weeks. Lung wedge resection April 2007. Cancer recurred in lung April 2008. RFA of lung in August 2008. 2nd annual brain MRI in Oct. 2008 discovered 2.6 cm cystic tumor in left frontal lobe. Craniotomy Oct. 2008 (ER-/PR-/HER2-) followed by targeted radiation (IMRT). Coughing up blood Feb. 2009. Thoractomy July 2009 to cut out fungal ball of common soil fungus (aspergillus) that grew in the RFA cavity (most likely inhaled while gardening). No cancer, only fungus. Removal of tiny melanoma from upper left arm, plus sentinel lymph node biopsy in Feb. 2016. Guardant Health liquid biopsy in Feb. 2016 showed mutations in 4 subtypes of TP53. Repeat of Guardant Health biopsy in Jana. 2021 showed 3 TP53 mutations, BRCA1 mutation and CHEK2 mutation. Invitae genetic testing showed negative for all of these. Living with MBC since 2007. Stopped Herceptin Hylecta (injection) treatment in March 2020. Recent 2021 annual CT of chest, abdomen and pelvis and annual brain MRI showed NED. Praying for NED forever!!
Joan M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2009, 12:45 AM   #18
hutchibk

I am saying prayers for you Patty, so sorry you are having a tough go of it. I am glad some of our propeller heads are here to weigh in. I hope they can help you and your doc make speedy sense of your next move. All the best, thanks for keeping us posted.

NOV 2012 - 9 yr anniversary
JULY 2012 - 7 yr anniversary stage IV (of 50...)

Nov'03~ dX stage 2B
Dec'03~
Rt side mastectomy, Her2+, ER/PR+, 10 nodes out, one node positive
Jan'04~
Taxotere/Adria/Cytoxan x 6, NED, no Rads, Tamox. 1 year, Arimadex 3 mo., NED 14 mo.
Sept'05~
micro mets lungs/chest nodes/underarm node, Switched to Aromasin, T/C/H x 7, NED 6 months - Herceptin only
Aug'06~
micro mets chest nodes, & bone spot @ C3 neck, Added Taxol to Herceptin
Feb'07~ Genetic testing, BRCA 1&2 neg

Apr'07~
MRI - two 9mm brain mets & 5 punctates, new left chest met, & small increase of bone spot C3 neck, Stopped Aromasin
May'07~
Started Tykerb/Xeloda, no WBR for now
June'07~
MRI - stable brain mets, no new mets, 9mm spots less enhanced, CA15.3 down 45.5 to 9.3 in 10 wks, Ty/Xel working magic!
Aug'07~
MRI - brain mets shrunk half, NO NEW BRAIN METS!!, TMs stable @ 9.2
Oct'07~
PET/CT & MRI show NED
Apr'08~
scans still show NED in the head, small bone spot on right iliac crest (rear pelvic bone)
Sept'08~
MRI shows activity in brain mets, completed 5 fractions/5 consecutive days of IMRT to zap the pesky buggers
Oct'08~
dropped Xeloda, switched to tri-weekly Herceptin in combo with Tykerb, extend to tri-monthly Zometa infusion
Dec'08~
Brain MRI- 4 spots reduced to punctate size, large spot shrunk by 3mm, CT of torso clear/pelvis spot stable
June'09~
new 3-4mm left cerrebellar spot zapped with IMRT targeted rads
Sept'09~
new 6mm & 1 cm spots in pituitary/optic chiasm area. Rx= 25 days of 3D conformal fractionated targeted IMRT to the tumors.
Oct'09~
25 days of low dose 3D conformal fractionated targeted IMRT to the bone mets spot on rt. iliac crest that have been watching for 2 years. Added daily Aromasin back into treatment regimen.
Apr'10~ Brain MRI clear! But, see new small spot on adrenal gland. Change from Aromasin back to Tamoxifen.
June'10~ Tumor markers (CA15.3) dropped from 37 to 23 after one month on Tamoxifen. Continue to monitor adrenal gland spot. Remain on Tykerb/Herceptin/Tamoxifen.
Nov'10~ Radiate positive mediastinal node that was pressing on recurrent laryngeal nerve, causing paralyzed larynx and a funny voice.
Jan'11~ MRI shows possible activity or perhaps just scar tissue/necrotic increase on 3 previously treated brain spots and a pituitary spot. 5 days of IMRT on 4 spots.
Feb'11~ Enrolled in T-DM1 EAP in Denver, first treatment March 25, 2011.
Mar'11~ Finally started T-DM1 EAP in Denver at Rocky Mountain Cancer Center/Rose on Mar. 25... hallelujah.

"I would rather be anecdotally alive than statistically dead."
hutchibk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2009, 05:59 AM   #19
michka

Post Re: Update: Spinal Fluid me

Hi Patty Z. I hate this sickness and what it can do to terrific Ladies such as you. Keep in the fight. Nothing is sure, nothing is written or to be more precise, no one can really know in advance what is written. Some treatments can work on a subset of patients, nobody knows why. Our Oncs still know very little about our HER2 cancer although they do their best. And you can be one of them. So do not abandon treatments. And continue reaching out to us. There are some wonderful girls here who can give you advice and support. I am sending you energy. Michka

12.2010 Mets to liver,Herceptin+Tykerb
03.2011 Liver resection ER+70% PR-
04.2011 Herceptin+Navelbine+750mg Tykerb
06.2011 Liver ned, Met to sternum. Added Zometa 09.2011 Cyberknife for sternum
11.2011 Pet clear. Stop Navelbine, continuing on Hercpetin+Tykerb+Aromasin
02.2012 Mets to lungs, nodes, liver
04.2012 TDM1, Ned in 07.2012
04.2015 Stop TDM1/Kadcyla, still Ned, liver problems
04.2016 Liver mets. Back on Kadcyla
08.2016 Kadcyla stopped working. mets to liver lungs bones
09.2016 Biopsy to liver. no more HER2, still ER+
09.2016 CMF Afinitor/Aromasin/ Xgeva.Met to eye muscle Cyberknife
01.2017 Gemzar/Carboplatin/ Ibrance/Faslodex then Taxotere
02.2017 30 micro mets to brain breathing getting worse and worse
04.2017 Liquid biopsy/CTC indicates HER2 again. Start Herceptin with Halaven
06.2017 all tumors shrunk 60% . more micro mets to brain (1mm mets) no symptoms
michka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2009, 09:12 AM   #20
vickie h

Hi Paty,
It is so good to hear from you. I had been wondering where you were. You have been an inspiration to me from the beginning. And your post was so brutally honest it made me cry. I have just started a trial with Pazopanib, as I, too, am considered "at the end of the line" as far as treatments go and I am actually okay with that these days. If this doesn't work, there is very little left to do. I haven't posted this because I feel it just isn't time yet.
Can you try this trial drug? I am praying for you ands your comfort and healing. Let's hang in there together.
Much love,
Vickie

Life's not about waiting for the storm to pass,
It's about learning to dance in the rain.

Feb 04 IBC IIIC/IV er-/pr- her2+++
3/04 TCH X4
7/ 04 MRM 9/04 Taxol/herceptin wkly 1 yr 33X rads
11/04 skin mets 33x rads,10/05 Avast/Herc. 11 mos.
8/ 06 PET mets lymphs, neck
9/ 06 Navelbine/herceptin
11/ 06 PET NED
2/ 07 skin mets, 4/07 Xeloda, 5/07 add Tykerb
2/ 08 Tykerb failed. Doxil /Herceptin 6 months
8/08 PET skin mets, 8/08 Abraxane/Avastin
11/ 08 PET prog., skin mets
1/09 PET/CT progress, 1/09 Ixempra, 2/09 add Xeloda and low dose Naltrexone
2/09 off Ixempra/Xeloda
3/09 navelbine/herc/cytoxin 4/09 PET shows regress.7/09 start Topotecan. Failed.
8/09 extensive mets rgt brst, back and torso. starting Pazopanib clinical trial.
vickie h is offline   Reply With Quote