HonCode

Go Back   HER2 Support Group Forums > Articles of Interest
Register Gallery FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-06-2010, 12:52 PM   #1
Hopeful

Acupuncture vs Venlafaxine for Hormone-Therapy−Induced Hot Flashes

As Reported by HealthDay News. 2009 Dec 30

A small study conducted at Henry Ford Hospital in Detroit has found that acupuncture can relieve hot flashes and improve sex drive in women undergoing hormone therapy for breast cancer. This is the first randomized, controlled study to compare acupuncture against standard medication—in this case, venlafaxine—for the relief of vasomotor symptoms in patients with breast cancer. (Other such studies have compared acupuncture against sham-acupuncture.) The 50 women in the study were treated for 12 weeks. Acupuncture was administered twice per week for 4 weeks, then once per week. Venlafaxine was taken daily. The patients were followed for 1 year.

The initial results showed that patients in both arms achieved an approximately 50% reduction in hot flashes and depression and reported an improvement in their quality of life. However, the benefits from acupuncture were more durable. Among the women taking venlafaxine, hot flashes returned after 2 weeks, but the acupuncture-treated women continued to have fewer problems with hot flashes. About 25% of the women in the acupuncture group also reported renewed interest in sex, more energy, and clearer thinking.

The results are intriguing, since the use of acupuncture would obviate the risk of medication-related adverse effects. Venlafaxine can cause dry mouth, lack of appetite, nausea, and constipation. Studies investigating the treatment of vasomotor symptoms are known to involve a large placebo effect, however, so further evaluation of the role of acupuncture is needed, particularly in a larger trial. One potential problem with acupuncture is that not all insurance policies may cover its use.

The research results were published in the December 28 online issue of the Journal of Clinical Oncology.

Hopeful
Hopeful is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2010, 11:12 AM   #2
v-ness

Re: Acupuncture vs Venlafaxine for Hormone-Therapy−Induced Hot Flashes

i can't afford to shell $50 out of pocket every time i need to go for acupuncture and i've settled with a $10 co-pay for a month's worth of neurontin for hot flashes instead. i want to kiss the person here (i forget who) that said it works. i researched and found that it was considered as effective as estrogen, which i can't take. because my night sweats have been ferocious, and the daytime hot flashes creeping up in frequency, i needed something. currently i am taking a total of 600 mg a day, 200 mg 3x a day, and practically have zero day-time flashes now YAY. i've also been getting better night's sleep because those too have decreased in frequency and intensity. last night i had 3 instead of 6-8. a little more time or dosage should have them at a bearable level. so whoever you are who said neurontin works, you have my eternal gratitude cuz this girl is sick of nightly saunas! valerie
2/10 began 7 wks of radiation
6/10 mom dies of primary peritoneal ovarian cancer
8/10 got my last remaining ovary out
10/10 mammogram all clear
3/11 MRI shows 5 'spots' in right breast, largest 1 cm unidentifiable on US
needle biopsy proved the largest to be old inflamed cyst -phew!
7/10 switched to Arimidex
8/9 switched to Femara - allergic to arimidex
Femara made me lose hair quickly so switched to Aromasin
Aromasin made my hair fall out too and the bone pain was too much.
back on Tamoxifen 1/2013.
blood clot from trains and planes 5/2014 so on coumadin per onco for as long as i am on tamoxifen
tamoxifen was supposed to be up with my 5 yrs in may but my boyfriend was diagnosed with stage 4 colon cancer so i am staying on tamoxifen indefinitely because i want some ammo against BC, given the stress. lost my husband in only 10 wks in 2007 to stage 4 esophageal cancer.
cancer's screwing with another man i love
2/2016 - 6yrs in remission, off tamoxifen and off coumadin - yay!
v-ness is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2010, 06:04 AM   #3
Liaidarutrica

Acupuncture vs Venlafaxine for Hormone Therapy Induced Hot Flashes

I would not hold your breath on the epox review. We do not have a current supplier for their boards.
Liaidarutrica is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2010, 07:34 AM   #4
AlaskaAngel

Thumbs up Re: Acupuncture vs Venlafaxine for Hormone-Therapy−Induced Hot Flashes

Thank you Hopeful and Valorie for helping others with possible ways to deal with the misery of hot flashes!

A.A.
IDC 1.9 cm, some DCIS, Stage 1, Grade 3
Lumpectomy, CAFx6 (no blood boosters), IMRT rads, 1 3/4 yr tamoxifen
Rads necrosis
BRCA 1 & 2 negative
Trials: Early detection OVCA; 2004 low-dose testosterone for bc survivors
Diet: Primarily vegetarian organic; metformin (no diabetes), vitamin D3
Exercise: 7 days a week, 1 hr/day
No trastuzumab, no taxane, no AI
NED
AlaskaAngel is offline   Reply With Quote