HonCode

Go Back   HER2 Support Group Forums > her2group
Register Gallery FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts

Old 10-26-2013, 01:48 PM   #1
linn65

Calgon take me away.....test or not to test.

I have a couple issues and the first one I was working on stay calm it will go away....about a month ago a bump appeared about an inch below my clavicle bome and slightly to the left of my sternum. Well, having diep flap August 28th I thought maybe I did a little too much and this is inflammation, so I did nothing.

7 days ago today my right ankle and the top of my foot started hurting. It swelled on the top just a tadbit, but I can't see anything visually. Each day got worse, and I started walking with a limp because it hurts. Randomly, out of. No where a quick, sharp pain will go thru my foot, and I feel like a person with Tourette's and I grimace for a brief second (embarrassing, but only happened last night a few times while visiting with my Dad in hospital).

Those are my two dilemmas.....my sisters and niece said you need to get that bump checked. The bump feels like a hard knot any I would say the size of a quarter. The final decision in calling my ONC was I couldn't forget about the pain in my ankle, so I figured the right doctor to call was my ONC.

Nurse Ratchet the ONC's nurse...and I haven't cared for her from the very beginning because she just isn't really nice but in the grand scheme of things this year she wasn't that important to me, so I chose to to tolerate/ignore her.

I wanted to talk to my ONC doctor but never got a call back. Nurse ratchet called for him and I told her the above and she said I will call doctor and call you back.

She called back and two tests next Wednesday: on my ankle they want to do electrocardogram (sp) I said and why is that of course.....she said to check your arteries in your ankle because of edema. I told her it wasn't Edema because I had that the left two weeks when I was pregnant and it didn't hurt just fluid. She said oh I had edema and i could barely walk. I said idk what to think maybe its neuropathy from herceptin she said oh no that is out if your system. My last herceptin's was on August 20th, and I just keep thinking what the heck is it. Then she said it could he tendinitis, and I said really ? In my head I was thinking I have only know athletes to get that from repetitive motion over a long period of time. So, I Am. Thinking this test is worthless.

Next , text is a super sonic ultrasound on my lump. I asked no questions about that and she scheduled them.

Next day, my sister said why don't you ask her to do a petscan. I thought about it over night, and I thought that is one test and assumed (big mistake)it would cover me head to toe, peace of mind, I would never ask for another test about cancer unless I was lying on the floor convulsing. But I am sure nurse ratchet would say its epilepsy....I called her explained all my rationale for it and she said NO. Then proceeded too tell me insurance won't pay for it with no symptoms. I was trying to be really nice and convincing her to find away to do the petscan. After,20 minutes on the phone I gave up and I said okay for the two other tests.

Now, today I thought maybe that lump is smaller and it's inflammation, so I should wait. Then I thought is my ankle better....maybe it is. I got up took a shower and was hobbling after I got out. But I just feel this test won't give me an answer...however, back to I can't ignore the pain oh and nurse R did say I am sure it isn't bone cancer because it rarely comes there... I jokingly said well it seems I have been rare this year.

I want to switch ONC's now because the few times I have dealt with her she doesn't hear me, does not seem to care, and I just think she doesn't like me. I don't want to feel vulnerable with her and I have no power over my own self. But I can't switch now because I think I need immediate attention.

Randomly too I went to get my port flushed and drove 40 minutes, and because the chemo nurse punched out already it would now be overtime and they don't allow it. I understood, and I said is it okay if I just have it done in January when I see ONC and she said that's fine. Then said some people wAit a year...I was going to tell her about the bump/ankle thing, but I left. And all I could think was if I could have waited until January why did I have to come today. I have no idea what standard or care is for my port.

So all this week I went back to work on Monday and everything seems to be a mess and working on getting it done. But at times hard to concentrate. My Dad had a stroke after just going thro open heart 4 months ago and he has been in hospital since last Saturday. However, he is sound really good. And then all this trying to get a petscan but nope.

I sit and stare today but haven't done anything. But take a shower and wonder should I do these tests....I don't want to make one more decision.....

Whew....
7/20/12 biopsy done. ER+ 30 PR -, HER+++,k167 80% Grade 2
9/2012 biopsy on lymph node - showed malignant

9/2012 Pre-adjunctive TCH chemo.

12/6/12 MRI after Pre-adj.
Results: Modest Decrease in size of left breast malignancy As well as the associated satellite lesions and auxiliary Adenopathy compared to prior study. Doctors hoped for better but good response it didn't grow.

12/18/2012 left masectomy with axillary nodes
Size 3.2 CM, Nottingham score 9/9
Grade 3, no evidence of in situ carcinoma
Areas of angiolymphatic are identified
Carcinoma is 0.5 cm from inked deep
Margin of excision
Attached axillary lymph nodes: metastatic
Carcinoma in 6 of 8 nodes.
Size of largest node 1.5 cm
Extracapsular
ER + 73%, PR+2%, HER2+

2/27/13 6 weeks of IMRT radiation finished

2/2013 Started on Tamoxifan 5 years.

8/2013 will take last Herceptin, 17 treatments total every 3 weeks.

BRCA1 & BRAC2 - Negative

August 28, 2013 DIEP flap on the left breast.
February 2014 Nip & Tuck
March 14, 2014 nipple reconstruction and removed port.
August 14, 2014 lump in lymph nodes under arm and above clavicle. Stage IV
August 28, 2014 herceptin And projeta starting and port put back in.

3/18/15 stopped arimidex.
3/18/15 progression....Tdm1
linn65 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2013, 03:00 PM   #2
Becky

Re: Calgon take me away.....test or not to test.

The ankle thing is probably a bug bite that you can't even see - think its one of those random non-cancer things but you may have to look into it at some point if it doesn't get better.

The lump thing is probably nothing too but does need to get looked at right now so it is good you are getting an ultrasound. My recommendation is DON'T touch it at all anymore. When we get a lumpy/bumpy, all you want to do is touch it and that just irritates it more so it can't heal/drain whatever. You know how big it was so don't touch. Not at all. NADA. The day you go for the test, when you are showering - give a feel. Your fingers will remember and you will be able to tell if it has changed. It will probably be smaller. No rubbing and touching. No, no, no

I agree with you that you are right about not changing doctors this moment but you just might need to because he uses this nasty nurse as his defensive end. I have a doctor who will call me directly and has when I was in treatment and the first year out when you think about everything. Remember, these people are folks you hired to make you well and save your life. They are your life saving employees and you can certainly fire them and hire another at any point. But get through this ultrasound (and get a copy of it) and see what's up. Certainly if you don't like what they say, a second opinion is in order.

Get that hand away from that lump girl!

Becky

Found lump via BSE
Diagnosed 8/04 at age 45
1.9cm tumor, ER+PR-, Her2 3+(rt side)
2 micromets to sentinel node
Stage 2A
left 3mm DCIS - low grade ER+PR+Her2 neg
lumpectomies 9/7/04
4DD AC followed by 4 DD taxol
Used Leukine instead of Neulasta
35 rads on right side only
4/05 started Tamoxifen
Started Herceptin 4 months after last Taxol due to
trial results and 2005 ASCO meeting & recommendations
Oophorectomy 8/05
Started Arimidex 9/05
Finished Herceptin (16 months) 9/06
Arimidex Only
Prolia every 6 months for osteopenia

NED 18 years!

Said Christopher Robin to Pooh: "You must remember this: You're braver than you believe and stronger than you seem and smarter than you think"
Becky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2013, 04:15 PM   #3
CoolBreeze

Sorry about your Dad.

Cancer almost never shows up as a recurrence in the feet, ankle or under the knee. So you likely don't have to worry about that. It definitely sounds like a skin invasion of some sort, maybe bug bite (my son just got bit by one that swelled his eye shut and he needed antibotics to control, cellulitis)

Herceptin isn't know to cause neuropathy but even if it did, that isn't the way it presents so I think the nurse, rude as she is, is right.

Why is the nurse deciding? Isn't a doctor going to look at it first? It could be something to do with tendons or inflammation - I've had a chronic problems with my shoulders because of that. That doesn't mean that is your issue but it isn't something to completely dismiss.

Why not call your PCP? An oncologist is going to look for cancer and its side effects but your PCP will look for anything that could cause this - he won't be so focused.

We have to remember that just because we are cancer patients, we can have other issues too! Maybe has nothing to do with cancer.

And yes, if you can't get through to your Onc and have to always deal with a nurse you don't like, you should switch oncologists. It's a relationship that can span years and unfortunately, I see mine monthly or more often. While I hope for you it doesn't end up that way, it's one where you really must feel trust.

Oh, and a PET is not the solution you think it will be. First, it only shows cancer that has grown to a certain size and it also has a lot of false positives. LIke all these tests we take, it is not perfect and can sometimes leave us with more questions than answers. So I would probably not go there if I didn't have to - take your bumps and pains and see what happens locally first.

Becky is right - NO TOUCHING!!!!

Let us know what happens!

08/17/09 Dx'd.
Multifocal/multicentric IDC, largest 3.4 cm, associated ADH, LCIS, DCIS
HER2+ ER+/PR- Grade 3, Node Negative

10/20/2009: Right mastectomy, reconstruction with TE
12/02/2009: Six rounds TCH, switched to Taxol halfway through due to neuropathy
03/31/2010: Finished chemo
05/01/2010: Began tamoxifen, the worst drug ever
11/18/2010: Reconstruction completed
12/02/2010: Finished herceptin
05/21/2011: Liver Mets. Quit Tamoxifen
06/22/2011: Navelbine/Zometa/Herceptin
10/03/2011: Liver Resection, left lobe. Microwave ablation, right lobe - going for cure!
11/26/2011: C-Diff Superbug Infection, "worst case doctor had seen in 20 years"
03/28/2012: Progression in ablated section of the liver - no more cure. Started Abraxane, continue herceptin/zometa
10/10/2012: Progression continues, started Halaven, along with herceptin and zometa.
01/15/2013: Progression continues, started Gemzar and Perjeta, an unusual combo, continuing with herceptin and zometa
03/13/2013: Quit Gemzar, body just won't handle it. Staying on herceptin, zometa and perjeta.
04/03/2013: CT shows 50% regression in tumor, so am starting back on Gemzar with dose reduction, staying with perjeta/herceptin/zometa. Can't argue with success!
05/09/2013: Discussing SBRT with Radiology due to inability of bone marrow to recover from chemo.
06/07/2013: Fiducial placement for SBRT
07/03/2013: Chemo discontinued, on Perjeta, Herceptin and Zometa alone
07/25/2013: SBRT (gamma knife) begins
08/01/2013: SBRT completed
08/15/2013: STABLE! continuing with Perjeta, Herceptin, Zometa
06/18/2014: ***** NED!!!!***** continuing with Perjeta, Herceptin, Zometa
01/29/2014: Still NED. continuing with Perjeta, Herceptin. Zometa lowered to every 3 months instead of monthly.
11/08/2015: Progression throughout abdomen and lungs. Started TDM-1, aka Kadcyla. Other meds discontinued. Remission was nice while it lasted.

5/27/18: Stable. Kadcyla put me right back in the barn. I have two teeny spots on my lungs that are metabolically inactive, and liver is clean.

I’m beating this MFer. I was 51 when this started and had two kids, 22 and 12. Now I’m 60. My oldest got married and trying to start s family. My youngesg graduates from Caltech this June. My stepdaughter gave me grandkids. Life is fantastic.
CoolBreeze is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2013, 10:14 PM   #4
linn65

I think I just figured it out.DVT....deep vein thrombosis.

Results: Modest Decrease in size of left breast malignancy As well as the associated satellite lesions and auxiliary Adenopathy compared to prior study. Doctors hoped for better but good response it didn't grow.

Margin of excision
Extracapsular
ER + 73%, PR+2%, HER2+

BRCA1 & BRAC2 - Negative

February 2014 Nip & Tuck

Old 10-27-2013, 06:06 AM   #5
Becky

Then you need to go to an emergency room immediately. Really! Please go.

Becky

Found lump via BSE
Diagnosed 8/04 at age 45
1.9cm tumor, ER+PR-, Her2 3+(rt side)
2 micromets to sentinel node
Stage 2A
left 3mm DCIS - low grade ER+PR+Her2 neg
lumpectomies 9/7/04
4DD AC followed by 4 DD taxol
Used Leukine instead of Neulasta
35 rads on right side only
4/05 started Tamoxifen
Started Herceptin 4 months after last Taxol due to
trial results and 2005 ASCO meeting & recommendations
Oophorectomy 8/05
Started Arimidex 9/05
Finished Herceptin (16 months) 9/06
Arimidex Only
Prolia every 6 months for osteopenia

NED 18 years!

Said Christopher Robin to Pooh: "You must remember this: You're braver than you believe and stronger than you seem and smarter than you think"
Becky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2013, 06:50 AM   #6
linn65

I can move my toes up and down and put my hand on top of foot, and I feel a vein in there squeaking. Menopause, chemo, tamox and cholesterol can cause poor circulation in veins in ankles and it causes pain. I think it does have something to do with circulation, because two days ago my. Knees looked weird and swelled, red, and then it went away. I will put a pic up.

Margin of excision
Extracapsular
ER + 73%, PR+2%, HER2+

BRCA1 & BRAC2 - Negative

February 2014 Nip & Tuck

Old 10-27-2013, 09:15 AM   #7
'lizbeth

I was told to get my port flushed once a month.

The ultrasound is a great idea, and I still am betting on necrosis from the DIEP. Your body can absorb some of the dead fat cells (necrosis).

Call the PCM and discuss your foot. If they think you need to go to ER, then go. Stop procrastinating or I'm going to call your sister!

Last edited by 'lizbeth; 10-27-2013 at 09:15 AM.. Reason: addition
'lizbeth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2013, 06:49 PM   #8
linn65

My foot feels kind of better....however my hands just like my feet our Ice cold. I took a hot bath to warm them up. I have wrote all day in my journal, and I wanted to write more but my hands start hurting. Today, was an awesome day. My Dad is doing much better.

I know when all of this started I wondered at times if I could make it to the other side of this. And today I found hope, happiness, returning purpose. Today, mentally and emotionally the tides have started to change. Now, if my body would, get there too that would be utterly awesome!

The lessons I have learned as I am sure everyone on this board have as well are priceless, and I don't know if I have figured it out before. Cancer forced me to understand what happiness is....and self compassion isn't self indulgence! So many things and today I am feel blessed.

Margin of excision
Extracapsular
ER + 73%, PR+2%, HER2+

BRCA1 & BRAC2 - Negative

February 2014 Nip & Tuck

Old 10-27-2013, 07:21 PM   #9
Jackie07

Glad your Dad is doing better.

The 'ice cold' issue could be neuropathy or simply being anemic - especially both your hands and feet feel the same way. I'm sure you have routine blood panel done and will be treated for anemia if the number is low. Try to walk 30 minutes everyday. The nerve cells are being connected by electric impulses. The more we exercise, the more jumping over. And little by little, all the nerve tissues will get back to normal.

The reason why your oncology nurse / doctor had scheduled you for an electrocardiogram is because reduced heart function could cause fluid not being pumped back to the heart properly, thus leads to swelling. I had experienced that after my 4th TCH and the doctor ordered an EKG. No, they don't like to explain it to us, I had to look it up and figure it out. My heart continued to be affected by the infusion, and so the Herceptin part was given 'weekly' (so the dose would be smaller) and I stopped after just 4 weekly treatment.

Hope everything gets back to normal soon (if there's such thing called 'normal' . Sending you good vibes.

NICU 4.4 LB
Erythema Nodosum 85
Life-long Central Neurocytoma 4x5x6.5 cm 23 hrs 62090 semi-coma 10 d PT OT ST 30 d
3 Infertility tmts 99 > 3 u. fibroids > Pills
CN 3 GKRS 52301
IDC 1.2 cm Her2 +++ ER 5% R. Lmptmy SLNB+1 71703 6 FEC 33 R Tamoxifen
Recc IIB 2.5 cm Bi-L Mast 61407 2/9 nds PET
6 TCH Cellulitis - Lymphedema - compression sleeve & glove
H w x 4 MUGA 51 D, J 49 M
Diastasis recti
Tamoxifen B. scan
Irrtbl bowel 1'09
Colonoscopy 313
BRCA1 V1247I
hptc hemangioma
Vertigo
GI - > yogurt
hysterectomy/oophorectomy 011410
Exemestane 25 mg tab 102912 ~ 101016 stopped due to r. hip/l.thigh pain after long walk
DEXA 1/13
1-2016 lesions in liver largest 9mm & 1.3 cm onco. says not cancer.
3-11 Appendectomy - visually O.K., a lot of puss. Final path result - not cancer.
Start Vitamin D3 and Calcium supplement (600mg x2)
10-10 Stopped Exemestane due to r. hip/l.thigh pain OKed by Onco 11-08-2016
7-23-2018 9 mm groundglass nodule within the right lower lobe with indolent behavior. Due to possible adenocarcinoma, Recommend annual surveilence.
7-10-2019 CT to check lung nodule.
1-10-2020 8mm stable nodule on R Lung, two 6mm new ones on L Lung, a possible lymph node involvement in inter fissule.
"I WANT TO BE AN OUTRAGEOUS OLD WOMAN WHO NEVER GETS CALLED AN OLD LADY. I WANT TO GET SHARP EDGED & EARTH COLORED, TILL I FADE AWAY FROM PURE JOY." Irene from Tampa

Advocacy is a passion .. not a pastime - Joe

Last edited by Jackie07; 10-27-2013 at 08:34 PM..
Jackie07 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2013, 07:43 PM   #10
linn65

Does neuropathy come and go like that ? I sure hope it's anemia that would be an easier fix. I have lost quite a bit of weight after the diep flap surgery so anemia might be it.

So maybe I should just make an appt with my family doctor for it all. And not go to ONC's office Wednesday.

What is necrosis and where does it appear, and how does it feel.

Margin of excision
Extracapsular
ER + 73%, PR+2%, HER2+

BRCA1 & BRAC2 - Negative

February 2014 Nip & Tuck

Old 10-27-2013, 08:41 PM   #11
Jackie07

Always keep your oncology appointment. These are treatment-related issues. Your team will know best what to do and do it much faster ...

There are some previous discussions about neuropathy. You can find them by putting 'neuropathy' into the 'Search' window (click 'Search' on the maroon bar on the top panel) Here's a recent one: http://her2support.org/vbulletin/sho...ght=neuropathy

My experience is that 'Exercise' is the best medicine besides what the doctor prescribes. Daily 30 minutes walk does wonders!

NICU 4.4 LB
Erythema Nodosum 85
Life-long Central Neurocytoma 4x5x6.5 cm 23 hrs 62090 semi-coma 10 d PT OT ST 30 d
3 Infertility tmts 99 > 3 u. fibroids > Pills
CN 3 GKRS 52301
IDC 1.2 cm Her2 +++ ER 5% R. Lmptmy SLNB+1 71703 6 FEC 33 R Tamoxifen
Recc IIB 2.5 cm Bi-L Mast 61407 2/9 nds PET
6 TCH Cellulitis - Lymphedema - compression sleeve & glove
H w x 4 MUGA 51 D, J 49 M
Diastasis recti
Tamoxifen B. scan
Irrtbl bowel 1'09
Colonoscopy 313
BRCA1 V1247I
hptc hemangioma
Vertigo
GI - > yogurt
hysterectomy/oophorectomy 011410
Exemestane 25 mg tab 102912 ~ 101016 stopped due to r. hip/l.thigh pain after long walk
DEXA 1/13
1-2016 lesions in liver largest 9mm & 1.3 cm onco. says not cancer.
3-11 Appendectomy - visually O.K., a lot of puss. Final path result - not cancer.
Start Vitamin D3 and Calcium supplement (600mg x2)
10-10 Stopped Exemestane due to r. hip/l.thigh pain OKed by Onco 11-08-2016
7-23-2018 9 mm groundglass nodule within the right lower lobe with indolent behavior. Due to possible adenocarcinoma, Recommend annual surveilence.
7-10-2019 CT to check lung nodule.
1-10-2020 8mm stable nodule on R Lung, two 6mm new ones on L Lung, a possible lymph node involvement in inter fissule.
"I WANT TO BE AN OUTRAGEOUS OLD WOMAN WHO NEVER GETS CALLED AN OLD LADY. I WANT TO GET SHARP EDGED & EARTH COLORED, TILL I FADE AWAY FROM PURE JOY." Irene from Tampa

Advocacy is a passion .. not a pastime - Joe

Last edited by Jackie07; 10-27-2013 at 08:45 PM..
Jackie07 is offline   Reply With Quote