HonCode

Go Back   HER2 Support Group Forums > her2group
Register Gallery FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts

Old 07-15-2006, 05:00 AM   #1
Bitten Schiedel

The Length of Herceptin Treatment ?

Dear all

I have been reading all the very interesting and touching messages at this site today. And I am very "glad" to hear how you all handle this in such a positive and survival way - I am so amazed !!!

I am now trying to give my (my mothers) short story, because I am so much seeking answers - wisdom of others experiences - about herceptin treatment.

My mom was operated for breast cancer in August 2005, and in December 2005 we had the very bad message that it had spread to both lungs with metastases - the aggresive form of breast cancer, but also HER2 positive. She was immediately put into treatment of 9 times taxotere together with 9 times herceptin every 3 week. Here in July 2006 she just ended the treatment of taxotere, and the scanning showed that no shadows now were to be seen in the lungs. YES - the treatment has helped - until now. I am so happy. She now have been offered ½ year further of herceptin until december 2006.

My mom and I are of course happy that the treatment has helped until now, but we are as well anxious about, what is going to happen after december 2006. I have tried to look at the different home pages about the herception treatment, and I do not think I find any information on the experiences with the length of herceptin? We are anxious what happens when my mom stops this treatment? Is it better to continue the treatment with herceptin, and for how long?

We are from Denmark, and here we do not pay for the treatment at the hospital (it is payed through very hich taxes), but that also means that we have no impact on the decisions made about the treatment. If we get the knowledge that it is better to keep on with the herceptin treatment (apart from a ½ year after end chemotherapy), we must have to find out how to get it and how to proceed with it?

Is anyone able to respond on my worries and questions. Either you have information on sites or places that I can contact in our further search for answers on our questions, or you have yourself personal experiences. I would appreciate so much to hear from some of you concerning this matter.

Thanks alot !!!

A very worried daughter

Bitten Schiedel

Bitten Schiedel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2006, 05:29 AM   #2
sarah

Hello,
I can't confidently answer how good or safe staying on Herceptin longer than the initial year is, however I am now over 2 years on it and my oncologist here in France seems to feel I should stay on it because I'm a triple positive (HER2+, ER+, PR+) and you need to fight them both equally or one becomes overly strong. So I take Herceptin and Femara (an aromatase inhibitor).
Here in France, which I would think would be similar to Denmark, if you are considered metatastic you can continue to get herceptin as long as your oncologist agrees that you should.
Hopefully others will respond to its efficacy.
Your mother is lucky to have such a caring daughter. Remember that breast cancer is a very popular and well researched disease with new treatments happening all the time.
I hope for your mother's improved health.
sarah
sarah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2006, 01:43 PM   #3
Bitten Schiedel

Dear Sarah

Thanks so much for your very warm reply. I appreciate that. I will look into the matter of Femara as you mention together with my mom. Is it a chemo type?

The best
Bitten
Bitten Schiedel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2006, 03:49 PM   #4
Lolly

Dear Bitten, so glad your mom has you to help with the information pipeline, it's so crucial to continued good health to know your options.

Here in the U.S. it's considered "Standard of Care" for metastatic cancer to continue on a maintenance dose of Herceptin after first-line treatment. I myself have been on maintenance Herceptin for metastisis since 2001 with no serious side effects. After my successful (no remaining evidence of disease) first-line treatment of 6 months duration, I continued on weekly maintenance Herceptin for another 6 months, then moved to every-3-week doses. I eventually recurred after 2 and 1/2 years of No Evidence of Disease and my oncologist again added chemo to the Herceptin for 6 months, then I was back on just Herceptin for a little over a year. I just finished 6 months of Navelbine/Herceptin, and am now on Xeloda/Herceptin as I have stable disease with some improvement occuring slowly but surely. Hopefully this will continue and I will eventually be on just Herceptin again.
Long story, but I relate this to you to demonstrate that it's possible to remain on Herceptin for long periods without problems, and in fact many of the Stage IV women on this site have similar stories...

I think there's a lot of evidence showing that Herceptin maintenance therapy for Stage IV women is recommended.

Hope this helps, and I'm sure some others will share their stories too.

<3 Lolly
Lolly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2006, 11:50 AM   #5
sarah

Dear Bitten,
Femara is an aromatase inhibitor (AI)- there are 3 different ones that I know of. They are given to women who are ER+ (estrogen positive receptors).
this site has some helpful cancer information that isn't HER2 specific: www.breastcancer.org and will explain AIs.
Hoping for continuing improved health for your mother.
sarah
sarah is offline   Reply With Quote