HonCode

Go Back   HER2 Support Group Forums > her2group
Register Gallery FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 11-15-2014, 11:56 AM   #1
Kim in CA

Hey Steph and any others on Zometa

Just wondering about your experiences on this drug.

My oncologist wants to start me on twice a year infusions for 3 years. I've had osteopenia for over a year and the calcium and vit D don't seem to be making a difference any more.

So, as soon as I find a new dentist (been on my to do list since we moved last year) and get clearance that my oral health is ok, I will start the Zometa.

Besides the achy bones and possible flu like symptoms after infusion, are there any BIG negatives that you know of.

Thanks,

Kim

5/1997 Hi Dose Chemo w/ Stem cell rescue. Spent 4 weeks in isolation ward. Then 6 weeks radiation.

9/2001 widespread mets to liver. 8 mos Taxotere/Herceptin brought me almost to NED. Stop Taxotere & add Femara .

11/2002 liver resection to remove spot that turned out to be necrosis. Officially NED!

7/2003 Tumor markers rising add Xeloda Disastrous reaction, 8 days hospital, but tumor markers came back to normal!

June -Dec 2004 UW Vaccine Trial.

7/2005 MRI single 11mm brain met
8/2005 Gamma Knife.

Brain MRI @3 months NED!

2006-2011 brain/body still NED

8/04/11 Taking Herceptin break, will monitor with tumor markers.

6/20/12 Tumor markers begin to rise. CA15-3 is 31.3 and Her2 Serum is at 17.1 Decide to repeat in one month.

7/23/12 CA15-3 now 49.3
Her2 Serum 26.8

8/6/12 Back on Herceptin
CA15-3 now 76
Her2 Serum now 49

11/7/12 Add weekly Taxotere for 4 cycles

2/2013 Stopped Taxotere added Perjeta. MRI shows approx. 50% reduction liver mets. CA15-3 still elevated @ 55. Will continue on just Herceptin & Perjeta.

November 2014 Continuing on Herceptin, Perjeta, and
Femara indefinitely. Guess I'm NED again, but watching those tumor markers carefully!

Dec. 2015 PET scan reveals mass in perirectal area of abdomen.biopsy confirms. Still Her2+, but no longer ER+. Bye bye Femara

Jan 2016 Begin Kadcyla

March 2016 PET scan shows tumor now barely visible, still NED everywhere else.
2016/2017 continue Kadcyla

November 2017 brain MRI reveals small focus of T2 hyperintensity with possible 4mm enhancing nodule. Short term follow up MRI suggested. Stay tuned...
Kim in CA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2014, 04:01 PM   #2
sassy

Re: Hey Steph and any others on Zometa

Hey Kim,

As long as you don't stay on any bisphosphonates or combination there of for more than five years, I think Zometa is a good choice.

It increased my bone density, but unfortunately I was unaware of the risk of atypical femure fractures with long term use. I was on Zometa for seven years and stopped when I was diagnosed with these fractures in both legs. I am still dealing with the fractures a year and a half later with very little healing.

Just be aware should you develop any thigh or perceived hip pain during use which could indicate an issue.

Also, please discuss this side effect with your doctor to be sure they are aware of of this possible side effect.

Best of luck to you.
Left mast .9cm tumor 5 of 14 nodes
Triple Positive
4 DD A/C
12 Taxol/Herceptin
33Rads
Strange infect mast site one year aft surg, hosp 1 wk
Herceptin for total of 18 months
Lupron Monthly 4 yrs
Neurontin for aches, pains and hot flashes(It works!)
Ovaries removed 11/09 stop Lupron and Neurontin
Arimidex 6 yrs (tried Femara, no SE improvement)
Tried Exemestane-hips got so bad could hardly walk
Back to Arimidex for year seven
Zometa 2X Annual for 7years, Lasix
Stop Arimidex 5/13
Stop Zometa 7/13-Bi-lateral Stress Fractures in Femurs from Zometa
5/14 Start Tamoxifen
3/15 Stem cell transplant to stimulate femur bone growth/healing
5/15 Complete fracture of right femur/Titanium rods both femurs
9/16 Start Evista stopTamoxifen
3/17 Stop Evista--unwelcome side effects!
NED and no meds.......
14YEARS NED!
sassy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2014, 11:28 PM   #3
StephN

Wink Re: Hey Steph and any others on Zometa

Hi Kim -
I took a LOT of Zometa beginning just as I finished my treatment for mets. Took Zometa every 3 weeks along with Herceptin.

Never did anyone ask me to get a clearance from my dentist. I do go on a regular basis and have teeth cleaned and old fillings replaced from time to time.

I restarted Zometa this year after a long stoppage. Just had the one dose a couple of months ago and did not notice anything in the way of side effects. When I was taking this drug so regularaly, it was hard to know what was left over from all the chemo and if any of the longer lasting side effects had to do with Zometa, which I had never before taken. (But I really think not, as I had taken a lot of chemo on a weekly basis.)

It is not due to suspecting the calcium and D3 I take is ineffective that I restarted Zometa on the twice yearly basis. Rather to do with my age and all the previous damage to my bones, and I am on the smaller boned side.

MY STORY SO FAR ~~~~
Found suspicious lump 9/2000
Lumpectomy, then node dissection and port placement
Stage IIB, 8 pos nodes of 18, Grade 3, ER & PR -
Adriamycin 12 weekly, taxotere 4 rounds
36 rads - very little burning
3 mos after rads liver full of tumors, Stage IV Jan 2002, one spot on sternum
Weekly Taxol, Navelbine, Herceptin for 27 rounds to NED!
2003 & 2004 no active disease - 3 weekly Herceptin + Zometa
Jan 2005 two mets to brain - Gamma Knife on Jan 18
All clear until treated cerebellum spot showing activity on Jan 2006 brain MRI & brain PET
Brain surgery on Feb 9, 2006 - no cancer, 100% radiation necrosis - tumor was still dying
Continue as NED while on Herceptin & quarterly Zometa
Fall-2006 - off Zometa - watching one small brain spot (scar?)
2007 - spot/scar in brain stable - finished anticoagulation therapy for clot along my port-a-catheter - 3 angioplasties to unblock vena cava
2008 - Brain and body still NED! Port removed and scans in Dec.
Dec 2008 - stop Herceptin - Vaccine Trial at U of W begun in Oct. of 2011
STILL NED everywhere in Feb 2014 - on wing & prayer
7/14 - Started twice yearly Zometa for my bones
Jan. 2015 checkup still shows NED
2015 Neuropathy in feet - otherwise all OK - still NED.
Same news for 2016 and all of 2017.
Nov of 2017 - had small skin cancer removed from my face. Will have Zometa end of Jan. 2018.
StephN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2014, 11:30 PM   #4
StephN

Sassy -
Sorry to hear you are not getting much healing from your fractured femurs.

Your signature does not say what year you began taking Zometa nor the frequency.

MY STORY SO FAR ~~~~
All clear until treated cerebellum spot showing activity on Jan 2006 brain MRI & brain PET
Brain surgery on Feb 9, 2006 - no cancer, 100% radiation necrosis - tumor was still dying
2007 - spot/scar in brain stable - finished anticoagulation therapy for clot along my port-a-catheter - 3 angioplasties to unblock vena cava
Nov of 2017 - had small skin cancer removed from my face. Will have Zometa end of Jan. 2018.
Old 11-16-2014, 07:37 PM   #5
sassy

Hey Steph,

I began Zometa about a year after DX and had it twice a year. I'll update my signature to add that info.

AFF's are certainly not the norm, but lucky me was the "small percentage"!
Left mast .9cm tumor 5 of 14 nodes
Triple Positive
4 DD A/C
12 Taxol/Herceptin
33Rads
Strange infect mast site one year aft surg, hosp 1 wk
Herceptin for total of 18 months
Lupron Monthly 4 yrs
Neurontin for aches, pains and hot flashes(It works!)
Ovaries removed 11/09 stop Lupron and Neurontin
Arimidex 6 yrs (tried Femara, no SE improvement)
Tried Exemestane-hips got so bad could hardly walk
Back to Arimidex for year seven
Zometa 2X Annual for 7years, Lasix
Stop Arimidex 5/13
Stop Zometa 7/13-Bi-lateral Stress Fractures in Femurs from Zometa
5/14 Start Tamoxifen
3/15 Stem cell transplant to stimulate femur bone growth/healing
5/15 Complete fracture of right femur/Titanium rods both femurs
9/16 Start Evista stopTamoxifen
3/17 Stop Evista--unwelcome side effects!
NED and no meds.......
14YEARS NED!
sassy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2014, 03:00 PM   #6
Kim in CA

Hi Sassy,

Thanks so much for your reply. I am so sorry to hear of the complications you experienced on the Zometa. I can not even begin to imagine how terrible that must be for you.

After reading your post I was able to find some more info on AFF's so I can discuss further with my oncologist.

Thanks again, and hopefully you will see some healing soon.

Kim

5/1997 Hi Dose Chemo w/ Stem cell rescue. Spent 4 weeks in isolation ward. Then 6 weeks radiation.

9/2001 widespread mets to liver. 8 mos Taxotere/Herceptin brought me almost to NED. Stop Taxotere & add Femara .

11/2002 liver resection to remove spot that turned out to be necrosis. Officially NED!

7/2003 Tumor markers rising add Xeloda Disastrous reaction, 8 days hospital, but tumor markers came back to normal!

8/2005 Gamma Knife.

Brain MRI @3 months NED!

6/20/12 Tumor markers begin to rise. CA15-3 is 31.3 and Her2 Serum is at 17.1 Decide to repeat in one month.

7/23/12 CA15-3 now 49.3
Her2 Serum 26.8

8/6/12 Back on Herceptin
CA15-3 now 76
Her2 Serum now 49

2/2013 Stopped Taxotere added Perjeta. MRI shows approx. 50% reduction liver mets. CA15-3 still elevated @ 55. Will continue on just Herceptin & Perjeta.

Femara indefinitely. Guess I'm NED again, but watching those tumor markers carefully!

Dec. 2015 PET scan reveals mass in perirectal area of abdomen.biopsy confirms. Still Her2+, but no longer ER+. Bye bye Femara

Jan 2016 Begin Kadcyla

November 2017 brain MRI reveals small focus of T2 hyperintensity with possible 4mm enhancing nodule. Short term follow up MRI suggested. Stay tuned...
Old 11-17-2014, 03:09 PM   #7
Kim in CA

Hi Steph,

Thanks so much for your input. Wow, I didn't realize you had been on and off Zometa for so long.

A few years back I was borderline osteopenic, but after kicking up my Vit D and calcium intake, was able to see an improvement on future bone density tests.

Unfortunately I think the Femara I've been on since 2001 is starting take it's toll on my bones, and my doc thinks it's time to start the Zometa.

Incidentally, I've always been troubled with poor dental health. I've got more root canals and crowns than I care to mention, and even one implant.

So, I was really worried about the osteonecrosis of the jaw that I've read about. Hence, my doc wanting me to get dental clearance before starting Zometa.

Were you ever osteopenic, or was the Zometa mainly a preventative for any future bone mets?

Thanks,
Kim

8/2005 Gamma Knife.

Brain MRI @3 months NED!

7/23/12 CA15-3 now 49.3
Her2 Serum 26.8

8/6/12 Back on Herceptin
CA15-3 now 76
Her2 Serum now 49

Jan 2016 Begin Kadcyla

Old 11-20-2014, 05:05 AM   #8
Ellie F

Hi all
Thank you so much for the information. I was just about to post asking the same question as Kim!
I was diagnosed with osteoporosis two years ago when a ct scan showed small fractures in my hips. Have been on calcium and vit d3 but things don't seem to have improved I'm told I'm a high risk for fractures. The endocrinologist wants me to have a yearly infusion of zometa now he's run all the blood tests. I also have to have my dentist do any necessary work before starting.
I suspect the osteoporosis was chemo induced but can't seem to find out if long term herceptin also has an impact??

I have recently started working with a therapist doing weight training , strictly controlled but working on hips ,spine and wrist. It's too early to say if its improving my bone density BUT a lot of the aching and stiffness has resolved!

Ellie

Last edited by Ellie F; 11-20-2014 at 05:06 AM.. Reason: Spelling
Ellie F is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2014, 06:59 AM   #9
kk1

Thanks for asking this question! I have been on twice yearly zometa for over 10years without any problems, and did not realize the aff problem. I had thought it only applied to those taking it on the 6week schedule. Will have to discuss with my Onc.
Sept 2004 NED-3 herceptin, zoladex,aromasin
Dec 2006 recurrence in liver
Feb. 2007 liver resection left lobe removed-herceptin, zoladex, switch to Arimidex
NED 16 months added zometa
May 2008 new lesion in liver 15mm Tykerb/Xeloda/Herceptin
July 2008 stable...yeah!
Sept 2008 NED again !!!
Jan 2009 fell off the wagon again spot back in the liver and fell out of menopause.
Feb 2009 RFA and 2nd liver resection to remove spot ---back on the NED wagon again continue Tykerb, Herceptin.
March 2009- oophrectomy added Femara and bi-annual Zometa
May 2009- scans clear but suspect lung nodule
June 2009- Lung VAT wedge resection to remove nodule---fungus ball not cancer!! phew
Aug 2009- NED
Nov 2009-scans again clear YAHOO!
March 2010- scans clear continue Tykerb, Herceptin, Femara, Zometa Q6mo
Nov 2009-Nov 2019 scans clear done every 6 months

Feb 2020 - Fell out of the NED wagon hard! single liver lesions and large infect cyst. 3 weeks in ICU.
March 2021- 5 cycles perjeta, herceptin, navelbine. lesion stable.
June 2021 - 3rd liver resection to remove single liver lesion. Continued perjeta, herceptin.
Nov. 2021- PET scan show 5 hot nodes near liver. 9 cycles Kadcyla
June 2021- PET scan shows progression. nodes size unchanged but even more SUV uptake.

July 2021- start ENHERTU
kk1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2014, 02:26 PM   #10
tricia keegan

Kim, I had to get clearance from my dentist too and just get one iv infusion once a year for Osteopenia, after three treatments my bones are showing great improvement already. I was told only the first infusion would bring flu like symptoms and this proved to be true for me and hope you do well on it too.
Rads x 36 ..oophorectomy August '06
Currently taking Arimidex..
June 2011 osteopenia/ zometa x1 yearly- stopped Zometa 2015 as Dexa show normal bone density.
Stopped Arimidex July 2014- Restarted Arimidex 2015 for a further two years on the advice of my Onc.
2014 Normal Dexa scan
2018 Mammo all clear, still NED!
tricia keegan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2014, 02:58 PM   #11
StephN

Hello Kim & everyone -

My bones have shown some continual slight degeneration at femoral neck, and Zometa seemed worth a try to arrest that. I have been taking my calcium and D3 with some positive result, but even with a good diet some areas continue a slow decline for my age matched numbers. Right now my lower lumbar spine is noted on my last CT scan. This is the area where I had a surgery on L4 two years ago.

I will be very interested to see the report from my next bone screening after 3 every-6-month Zometa infustions.

Ellie - interesting you bring up long term Herceptin and whether that may have an effect on our bones. I think I will pose that question to my oncologist. She does have a special interest in bones. I never thought of that as a possibility and not sure how the science could support that theory.

MY STORY SO FAR ~~~~

Last edited by StephN; 11-24-2014 at 03:55 PM..
Old 11-24-2014, 04:02 PM   #12
StephN

Wink Re: Hey Steph and any others on Zometa

Just got a reply to my query on whether Herceptin could have a negative effect of our bones.

My oncologist says:

"Herceptin has no effect on bones. You took zometa to try to prevent bone recurrence. But you can get too much zometa in your bones and that can paradoxially lead to fracture (even though it's a bone strengtheing drug, too much exposure leads to diusrupted bione formation that doesn't have any "cushion" effect when you fall)."

Perhaps Sassy had other risk factors for her fractures? Any falls or jumping up and down? But here is the answer to how Zometa can have a negative effect - disrupts BIONE formation. Something else to look up!

How much bione do we have? Is the amount different in each of us? What else affects bione? Etc., etc ...

MY STORY SO FAR ~~~~
Old 11-25-2014, 11:35 AM   #13
Ellie F

Hi Steph
Thanks for posting about herceptin not having a negative effect on bones. I hadn't been able to find this out and wondered if this may be a cause. I haven't had aromatise inhibitors so I assume my osteoporosis was induced by chemotherapy. Like Tricia it's proposed I have one infusion a year so will see how that goes once my dentist has given me the go ahead.
Ellie
Ellie F is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2014, 05:48 PM   #14
tricia keegan

Thanks Steph and good luck Ellie, hoping for the same response I had for you.
Rads x 36 ..oophorectomy August '06
Currently taking Arimidex..
June 2011 osteopenia/ zometa x1 yearly- stopped Zometa 2015 as Dexa show normal bone density.
Stopped Arimidex July 2014- Restarted Arimidex 2015 for a further two years on the advice of my Onc.
2014 Normal Dexa scan
2018 Mammo all clear, still NED!
tricia keegan is offline   Reply With Quote