HonCode

Go Back   HER2 Support Group Forums > Diet and Nutrition
Register Gallery FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Diet and Nutrition By popular demand our nutritional message board. This board will be monitored by a Registered RD who is certified in oncology by the American Dietetic Association

Old 05-24-2012, 06:34 AM   #1
Hopeful

Eating Berries Might Help Preserve Your Memory

I saw this, and wondered if it would help those suffering from chemo brain: http://www.philly.com/philly/health/...ur_Memory.html

Hopeful
Hopeful is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2012, 07:12 AM   #2
rhondalea

Re: Eating Berries Might Help Preserve Your Memory

Have I mentioned lately how much I appreciate the articles you find and post? I really do, so I hope you never stop.

As to the topic, I eat at least six ounces of berries (strawberries, blueberries and raspberries) every day. Most days, it's a whole lot more. (I can wipe out a pound of fresh strawberries in one sitting; in season, that means daily.) I also consume black tea in excessive quantities even though I worry about the fluoride.

I did all that before, during and after chemo. Over the long term, I have no doubt of the benefit (although it's not the reason I eat berries), but I can't say that my berry gluttony has mitigated the brain damage I have sustained (see attachment below for specific diagnosis).

What I have found useful for targeting chemobrain are the following: magnesium l-threonate (Magtein) and vinpocetine. Between the two, I'm almost normal most of the time. (There are other supplements that I think help me, but they're specific to my particular genetic weaknesses, so I won't add them to the list.)

It's also possible I have benefited from plenty of dark chocolate, although I can go without it for several days with no adverse effects. On the other hand, even one day without the supplements turns my brain to....
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Brain is oatmeal.JPG
Views:	187
Size:	42.0 KB
ID:	932  
rhondalea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2012, 07:53 AM   #3
Hopeful

Rhonda,

That is quite a berry habit you have! I like strawberries or blueberries on my daily oatmeal - so, according to your "Dx," I am doubling my "brain food."

Hopeful
Hopeful is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2012, 02:23 AM   #4
lshill929

Hey it’s a nice article. Rhonda you take good amount of berries. Keep it up.
lshill929 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2012, 09:09 AM   #5
sdstarfish

Berries are great for the brain, and I agree with Rhonda's suggestions. (I also love the comic!)
Chemo actually does damage neurons, which is something that many (most?) women are not told prior to treatment. However, neurons can be repaired over time. Other helpful brain-repair items are co-Q 10, NAC (N-Acetyl-L-Cysteine), and a healthier dose of B vitamins than most people get from foods. Most of our foods travel far from where they're farmed - so by the time we get them, they are not as nutrient-dense as they were when picked. B vitamins are very important for brain health and other body functions.

Lisa
www.pinkkitchen.info
sdstarfish is offline   Reply With Quote