Hopeful

Asthma patients at risk for lung mets

http://www.breastcancersource.com/br..._26816___.aspx

Hopeful
Hopeful is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2007, 10:23 PM   #2
justnina

Smile Thanks for the info!

I have asthma and take medication for it daily. I've worried that, this being my "weak spot," I might get a recurrence in my lungs. Coughing and congestion seems to have gotten worse, probably from the beating my lungs took from chemo and radiation! I have printed your post and will take it with me to my visit to the pulmonologist next week. Grateful thanks for the information!

All my good wishes,

Nina
justnina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2007, 03:03 AM   #3
R.B.

There are a very significant number of trials linking fat intake and particularly improvements from omega three with inflammatory conditions including asthma.

Here is a link to some trials from a search under asthma and DHA. There is are also a number of posts on the arguments for balancing the omega threes and sixes on this site.

Please do discuss dietary changes with your doctor.

Link to NCBI

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/entrez/q...erm=dha+asthma

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/entrez/q...=pubmed_docsum

ABSTRACT

Dietary omega-3 (n-3) fatty acids have a variety of anti-inflammatory and immune-modulating effects that may be of relevance to atherosclerosis and its clinical manifestations of myocardial infarction, sudden death, and stroke. The n-3 fatty acids that appear to be most potent in this respect are the long-chain polyunsaturates derived from marine oils, namely eicosapentaenoic acid (EPA) and docosahexaenoic acid (DHA), and this review is restricted to these substances. A variety of biologic effects of EPA and DHA have been demonstrated from feeding studies with fish or fish oil supplements in humans and animals. These include effects on triglycerides, high-density lipoprotein cholesterol, platelet function, endothelial and vascular function, blood pressure, cardiac excitability, measures of oxidative stress, pro- and anti-inflammatory cytokines, and immune function. Epidemiologic studies provide evidence for a beneficial effect of n-3 fatty acids on manifestations of coronary heart disease and ischemic stroke, whereas randomized, controlled, clinical feeding trials support this, particularly with respect to sudden cardiac death in patients with established disease. Clinically important anti-inflammatory effects in man are further suggested by trials demonstrating benefits of n-3 fatty acids in rheumatoid arthritis, psoriasis, asthma, and inflammatory bowel disorders. Given the evidence relating progression of atherosclerosis to chronic inflammation, the n-3 fatty acids may play an important role via modulation of the inflammatory processes.

PMID: 15485592 [PubMed - indexed for MEDLINE]

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/entrez/q...=pubmed_docsum

ABSTRACT

The present results suggest that dietary supplementation with fish oil rich in the omega-3 polyunsaturated fatty acids eicosapentaenoic acid and docosahexaenoic acid is beneficial for children with bronchial asthma in a strictly controlled environment in terms of inhalant allergens and diet.
R.B. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2007, 06:46 AM   #4
justnina

Thanks so much for this new information. It is much appreciated! I'll print this out, as well.

All best,

Nina
justnina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2007, 10:25 AM   #5
R.B.

A pleasure

RB
R.B. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2007, 11:07 AM   #6
Becky

Just before I got (or rather was diagnosed) with bc, I started on the omega 3 bandwagon (and general health kick). Stayed with it intently and continue to do so. Well - I was a pretty bad asthmatic before bc but it is GONE now. I can do my runs and exercise hard without needing an inhaler. No more Advair (250/50). At first, my PCP switched me to Advair 100/50 but I don't need it. I still keep a rescue inhaler (albuterol) around because you never know. I don't know if it is because I am taking care of myself better, the omega 3s/mediterrean diet or what. I feel I am good to go.

I am a true believer in the balancing of omega 3/6 and applaud RB for his work on educating the site on this important aspect of our diet.

Becky

Found lump via BSE
Diagnosed 8/04 at age 45
1.9cm tumor, ER+PR-, Her2 3+(rt side)
2 micromets to sentinel node
Stage 2A
left 3mm DCIS - low grade ER+PR+Her2 neg
lumpectomies 9/7/04
4DD AC followed by 4 DD taxol
Used Leukine instead of Neulasta
35 rads on right side only
4/05 started Tamoxifen
Started Herceptin 4 months after last Taxol due to
trial results and 2005 ASCO meeting & recommendations
Oophorectomy 8/05
Started Arimidex 9/05
Finished Herceptin (16 months) 9/06
Arimidex Only
Prolia every 6 months for osteopenia

NED 18 years!

Said Christopher Robin to Pooh: "You must remember this: You're braver than you believe and stronger than you seem and smarter than you think"
Becky is offline   Reply With Quote