HonCode

Go Back   HER2 Support Group Forums > her2group
Register Gallery FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts

Old 02-09-2006, 04:50 PM   #1
Attilash

Angry A question about a psycnalist - his behaviour

It's me again, something occurred to me on Jan.18 which hurt and puzzeld me alot, so I thought to share it just to know if someone of you ever had a similar experience. Note that, since I live in Italy, my possibilities to react might not be the same you would have.
I was contacted last Dec. by a ladydoctor - psicanalyst, while in dayhospital having herceptin done, who asked me to attend a conference on cancer, treatment, how to cope with it all etc. My chemoterapist is on the conference board, and it's him who signalled me to this ladydoctor. I attended the conference, and happened to offer my point of view on the Italian situation of internet/on-line help (absolutely inexistent, because we Italian have a very different approach to illness, especially cancer - so, no forums, no groups, no chats... the very few sites which offer real help, offer infos translated from American/English/Canadian sites... ;O/ )
Anyway, another doctor - psicanalist, professor in University, big imposing guy, came to me and said he was interested in my experience due to the fact I am 34 and already twice survivor etc. etc. So he suggested an interview, in order of possibly become a speaker in the next conferences.
I thought it was a great idea - this terrible experience, at last gives birth to something useful - so I accepted.
And the interview turned out to be an unrequired psycoanalisis seance, with him asking questions about my dreams, my past, my relation to sex and family, and so on. And in the end, I was offered to go to his study to start a therapy with him - paying, of course.
And the ladydoctor was there all the time, taking notes about what I told them.
I, of course, did not accept.
The big question is: according to you, should I report these people to my chemoterapist?
Thanks in advance for sharing your thoughts, if you will do it.
Lots of love, Attilash
Attilash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2006, 11:01 PM   #2
Lolly

Attilash, in my opinion the behavior of these people was highly unethical to say the least. The interview should not have touched on such personal issues, and then to "invite" you to pay for a session was the topper ) I do think you should tell the chemotherapist about this experience. Best to you,

<3 Lolly
Lolly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2006, 06:32 AM   #3
Marlys

Attilash,
I agree with Lolly. I worked in psychiatric nursing for 10 years and I believe they were being terribly unethical. I doubt if ethics are any different in Italy than in the USA. You should report this not only to you chemotherapist but also to the medical association.
Marlys
Marlys is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2006, 08:51 AM   #4
TriciaK

Dear Attilash, Let me tell you first how much I have enjoyed all your posts and the sparkling personality that shines forth! Now about your question here: Did the man call himself a psychiatrist, a psychoanalyist, a psychologist or what? Whichever it was, if he truly is a professional he should have a license of some sort, and he should have an understanding of professional ethics. From what you have described, it sounds like he and the lady did not clarify what they had in mind. They told you one thing and then did another. It doesn't sound ethical to me at all! I asked my husband, a licensed psychologist, about it and he agreed that you have the right to report these people. Your chemotherapist should also know what occurred because if these other doctors are not ethical and he reccommends them, it reflects on him. I am sorry you had such an experience not only because it upset you, but because people like that give a bad name to all the doctors who are ethical. I would be interested in how it all turns out if you do talk to your chemotherapist and if you make a report on the other two "doctors". I also wish you the best in your battle with BC. It sounds as if it is hard to find a support group where you live, but remember you will always have one here, and it is the best! Hugs, Tricia
TriciaK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2006, 06:28 PM   #5
Berta

Attilash: I have worked in the mental health field for 31 years and also have served on licensure boards. Their behavior was unethical. By all means report them to whichever licensing authority they are accountable to. BERTA
Berta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2006, 08:42 PM   #6
sherri

Dear Attilash,

I agree with all people who answered you. Nothing upset me as much to see these kind of opportunists. Please report them to authorities, and write about them in news papers.
sherri is offline   Reply With Quote