HonCode

Go Back   HER2 Support Group Forums > her2group
Register Gallery FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts

Old 08-09-2007, 02:44 PM   #1
RobinP

Please pray for healing of my hip bursitis...

Well, I've missed everybody. I've been in bed with severe hip bursitis probably brought on by prolonged bike riding without warm-up exercises. I hope to be my old self soon and able to leave the house.
Robin
PS Had ever test under to sun that did rule out bone mets.
Old 08-09-2007, 05:04 PM   #2
chrisy

i guess we have to be grateful for the small miracles...that there was NO bone mets! nevertheless, sounds very painful, and pain of any kind is no fun.

Prayers and hugs
Chris
10/04-3/05 Weekly Taxol/Carboplatin/Herceptin , complete response!
04/05 - 4/07 Herception every 3 wks, Continue NED
04/07 - recurrence to liver - 2 spots, starting tykerb/avastin trial
06/07 8/07 10/07 Scans show stable, continue on Tykerb/Avastin
01/08 Progression in liver
02/08 Begin (TDM1) trial
08/08 NED! It's Working! Continue on TDM1
02/09 Continue NED
02/10 Continue NED. 5/10 9/10 Scans NED 10/10 Scans NED
12/10 Scans not clear....4/11 Scans suggest progression 6/11 progression confirmed in liver
07/11 - 11/11 Herceptin/Xeloda -not working:(
12/11 Begin MM302 Phase I trial - bust:(
03/12 3rd times the charm? AKT trial

5/12 Scan shows reduction! 7/12 More reduction!!!!
8/12 Whoops...progression...trying for Perjeta/Herceptin (plus some more nasty chemo!)
9/12 Start Perjeta/Herceptin, chemo on hold due to infection/wound in leg, added on cycle 2 &3
11/12 Poops! progression in liver, Stop Perjeta/Taxo/Herc
11/12 Navelbine/Herce[ptin - try for a 3 cycles, no go.
2/13 Gemzar/Carbo/Herceptin - no go.
3/13 TACE procedure
chrisy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2007, 05:11 PM   #3
Becky

Dear Robin

My mom has bursitis in her hip and they had to rule out bone mets too. So painful - I've seen it first hand. My thoughts are with you as you recover.

Becky

Found lump via BSE
Diagnosed 8/04 at age 45
1.9cm tumor, ER+PR-, Her2 3+(rt side)
2 micromets to sentinel node
Stage 2A
left 3mm DCIS - low grade ER+PR+Her2 neg
lumpectomies 9/7/04
4DD AC followed by 4 DD taxol
Used Leukine instead of Neulasta
35 rads on right side only
4/05 started Tamoxifen
Started Herceptin 4 months after last Taxol due to
trial results and 2005 ASCO meeting & recommendations
Oophorectomy 8/05
Started Arimidex 9/05
Finished Herceptin (16 months) 9/06
Arimidex Only
Prolia every 6 months for osteopenia

NED 18 years!

Said Christopher Robin to Pooh: "You must remember this: You're braver than you believe and stronger than you seem and smarter than you think"
Becky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2007, 07:57 PM   #4
Lani

by "hip" do you mean in the middle of the groin, on the side of where

your leg joins your trunk on top of the bony part which hurts if you lie on your side on too hard a surface (assuming your are not overly "upholstered"), or on your "sitting bone" All three areas have bursae.

Prayer is great, but......... if I recall, your husband is an MD(don't recall if you ever mentioned his specialty, but somehow I thought he was a cardiologist...maybe because you were a cardiac ICU nurse):

has your husband considered your trying 1) anti-inflammatories 2) ultrasound (usually not THAT effective as the bursae tend to be rather deep) 3) an injection if this persists despite 1) and/or 2)

You didn't say how long you have had it.

There are certain predisposing factors to bursitis in the second location I discussed above including a tight iliotibial band (something a physical therapist can show you how to stretch) and if it is in the first or third location there are factors of where your bicycle seat is placed and at what height as well as your technique of peddling that an analytic-type ie thoughtful physical therapist might be able to help you with so you avoid this again in the future.

If your tumor was ER+ and you are on AIs, they tend to make ligaments and tendons tighter ie, why older ladies can no longer "do the splits" so you may just have exceeded your tendon/ligament capacities. Nearby bursae react by filling up with fluid to try to protect the inflamed tendons from the underlying bones/ This stretches the lining cells of the bursae, which are exquisitely tender (something you already know) and they send messages to the brain which releases additional prostaglandins which serve to cause even more fluid to accumulate within the bursa which stretches the lining even more and so on in a vicious self-perpetuating cycle

Antiinflammatories decrease the synthesis of the prostaglandins and so help break the cycle.

I am not an oncologist or rheumatologist (nor a physical therapist) and am not trying to give advice. It just seemed that since your husband IS a doctor, you might want to run some of this by him.

Perhaps your loss of faith in Drs due to the story (your story) you posted has something to do with your request for prayers. Just letting you know we are all including you in our prayers, but there may be some other means to help...
`
Lani is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2007, 09:21 PM   #5
tousled1

Robin,

I sympathize as I too suffer from hip bursitis. I had a bone scan to rule out mets. Mine is a lingering side effect of my lumbar spinal fusion. Some days its good but other days WOW! I see a pain management doctor once a month. Good luck to you. At least you can relax knowing that it is not bone mets.
Neoadjunct chemo: 4 A/C; 4 Taxatore
Bilateral mastectomy June 8, 2006
14 of 26 nodes positive
Herceptin June 22, 2006 - April 20, 2007
Radiation (X35) July 24-September 11, 2006
BRCA1/BRCA2 negative
Stage IV lung mets July 13, 2007 - TCH
Single brain met - August 6, 2007 -CyberKnife
Oct 2007 - clear brain MRI and lung mets shrinking.
March 2008 lung met progression, brain still clear - begin Tykerb/Xeloda/Ixempra
tousled1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2007, 01:13 AM   #6
Chelee

Robin, I've suffered with bursitis myself. Long before bc. Neurologist DX me. It can be very painful as I don't have to tell you. I really feel for you. I've had different pain meds for it but the only thing that really helps to relieve it *some* is ibprofin/motrin. I know sometimes it seemed the *less* I did the worse my bursitis would get. Not sure why...but I would just ease into things and keep moving and eventually it gets better. (Although it seems like it takes forever.) I hope your pain goes away soon. Hang in there...take some kind of *NSAID* for it if you aren't already.

Chelee
Finished yr of wkly herceptin 3-19-07
3-15-07 Lt side prophylactic simple mastectomy. -- Ooph 4-05-07
9-21-09 PET/CT "Recurrence" to Rt. axllia, Rt. femur, ilium. Possible Sacrum & liver? Now stage IV.
9-28-09 Loading dose of Herceptin & started Zometa
9-29-09 Power Port Placement
10-24-09 Mass 6.4 x 4.7 cm on Rt. femur head.
11-19-09 RT. Femur surgery - Rod placed
12-7-09 Navelbine added to Herceptin/Zometa.
3-23-10 Ten days of rads to RT femur. Completed.
4-05-10 Quit Navelbine--Herceptin/Zometa alone.
5-4-10 Appt. with Dr. Slamon to see what is next? Waiting on FISH results from femur biopsy.
Results to FISH was unsuccessful--this happens less then 2% of the time.
7-7-10 Recurrence to RT axilla again. Back to UCLA for options.
Chelee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2007, 09:57 AM   #7
AlaskaAngel

Sorry

Robin I am sorry to hear you are dealing with this, as I know it is quite painful. Glad to see you are making a comeback, but do wish you didn't have this to deal with too!

AlaskaAngel
AlaskaAngel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2007, 10:16 AM   #8
sarah

I used to get bursitis in my shoulders and hip when I was a teenager because I would lean against walls with my shoulder or hip (hard surface as mentioned above) if I avoided that it would generally go away but once the pain was too much in my shoulder and my father, a doctor, sent me to orthopedic surgeon who gave me a cortisone shot - hurt - but healed it. Sometimes it takes 2 shots. And ibuprofen can also help as well as alternating cold and hot. Luckily now that I know what caused it, I no longer suffer from that - but other things! Good luck and hope the pain lessens quickly. Pain can really be depressing.
sarah
sarah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2007, 02:57 PM   #9
RobinP

Thank you for your prayers and suggestions

-Robin