HonCode

Go Back   HER2 Support Group Forums > her2group
Register Gallery FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts

Old 10-20-2006, 09:44 AM   #1
MJo

The C Word

Yesterday my boss and I both got Herceptin at the Cancer Center. We are both Stage One, though her tumor was bigger than mine (2 cent.). She was complaining abut her stubby hair and the oncology nurse said something like "well we cured your cancer, now we have to cure your hair trouble." I was amazed to hear the C word, and I told the nurse so. She said "We should use the word, because we are curing cancer." I hope it's true. It made me feel good, but I don't feel safe enough to believe her. I told her if the Cancer Center really wants to make history, it should figure out how to cure obesity. I've got 40 pounds on me that weren't there the day I was diagnosed last October.
MJo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2006, 10:37 PM   #2
sadie

I agree. The "cure" word can do wonders for the psyche (spelling?)
My dr 1st used the c word approx 9 mos after my dx.
It sure was a booster for my outlook on my future!
I never told people that I "have" bc. Since my lumpectomy, I have felt that the "got it all", so I always told people that I "had" bc.
It sure felt good to hear my dr say it, tho!
I, too, need a cure for the 25 lbs that I put on since I had taxol with steroids.
Seems I gained 25 lbs and stopped, but I can't get if off! I want to have this baby already! LOL
Wish I had the money....I would start a fitness center for bc survivors!
Sentinel node neg
Her2+++
ER+ / PR weakly+
sadie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2006, 07:50 AM   #3
Lani

apropos

Breast Cancer Res Treat. 2006 Oct 21; [Epub ahead of print] Links
A cognitive behavioral therapy intervention to promote weight loss improves body composition and blood lipid profiles among overweight breast cancer survivors.

Mefferd K,
Nichols JF,
Pakiz B,
Rock CL.
Department of Exercise and Nutritional Sciences, San Diego State University, San Diego, CA, 92182-7251, USA, jeannebernhard@cox.net.
Overweight or obesity is an established negative prognostic factor in breast cancer. Co-morbidities associated with obesity, including cardiovascular disease (CVD), may negatively impact quality of life and survival in this population. Our purpose was to determine the effect of a cognitive behavioral therapy (CBT) intervention for weight loss through exercise and diet modification on risk factors for recurrence of breast cancer, and risks for CVD associated with obesity. Eighty-five overweight or obese breast cancer survivors were randomly assigned to a once weekly, 16-week intervention or wait-list control group. The intervention incorporated elements of CBT for obesity, addressing a reduction in energy intake, as well exercise, with a goal of an average of 1 h a day of moderate to vigorous activity. Body weight, total and regional body fat (by dual energy X-ray absorptiometry), waist and hip circumference, and blood lipids were assessed at baseline and following 16 weeks of intervention. Results: Seventy six women (89.4%) completed the intervention. Independent t-test to evaluate group differences at 16 weeks showed significant differences in weight, body mass index, percent fat, trunk fat, leg fat, as well as waist and hip circumference between intervention and control groups (P </= 0.05). Furthermore, levels of triglycerides and total cholesterol/high density lipoprotein cholesterol levels were also significantly reduced following the intervention. These results indicate that 16 weeks of a CBT program for weight management may reduce obesity and CVD risk in overweight breast cancer survivors.
PMID: 17058023 [PubMed - as supplied by publisher]
Lani is offline   Reply With Quote