HonCode

Go Back   HER2 Support Group Forums > her2group
Register Gallery FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts

Old 11-17-2008, 08:00 PM   #1
StephN

Question Hiatal hernia - anyone else have that?

Hi -
Even being NED this long, various other issues crop up.

My May PET/CT mentioned a "small hiatal hernia" in the report (first time). I have not had much in the way of symptoms, so that was news to me.

As of now, all I notice is burping a little more and get the hiccoughs more often.

The "literature" says that about 60% of people over the age of 60 will have this defect show up. My next scan is in a couple of weeks so I will be curious to see the difference.

Just wondered if others have hiatal hernia and how you deal with it.

MY STORY SO FAR ~~~~
Found suspicious lump 9/2000
Lumpectomy, then node dissection and port placement
Stage IIB, 8 pos nodes of 18, Grade 3, ER & PR -
Adriamycin 12 weekly, taxotere 4 rounds
36 rads - very little burning
3 mos after rads liver full of tumors, Stage IV Jan 2002, one spot on sternum
Weekly Taxol, Navelbine, Herceptin for 27 rounds to NED!
2003 & 2004 no active disease - 3 weekly Herceptin + Zometa
Jan 2005 two mets to brain - Gamma Knife on Jan 18
All clear until treated cerebellum spot showing activity on Jan 2006 brain MRI & brain PET
Brain surgery on Feb 9, 2006 - no cancer, 100% radiation necrosis - tumor was still dying
Continue as NED while on Herceptin & quarterly Zometa
Fall-2006 - off Zometa - watching one small brain spot (scar?)
2007 - spot/scar in brain stable - finished anticoagulation therapy for clot along my port-a-catheter - 3 angioplasties to unblock vena cava
2008 - Brain and body still NED! Port removed and scans in Dec.
Dec 2008 - stop Herceptin - Vaccine Trial at U of W begun in Oct. of 2011
STILL NED everywhere in Feb 2014 - on wing & prayer
7/14 - Started twice yearly Zometa for my bones
Jan. 2015 checkup still shows NED
2015 Neuropathy in feet - otherwise all OK - still NED.
Same news for 2016 and all of 2017.
Nov of 2017 - had small skin cancer removed from my face. Will have Zometa end of Jan. 2018.
StephN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2008, 08:47 PM   #2
Yorkiegirl

Yes, I have one as well. I have to take 2 Prilosec every day. I also have to becareful what I eat.
MRM 4-5-05 w/ 2 tumor's 5cm, and 6 cm (right side)
IDC (poorly differentiated infiltrating ductual carcinoma)
5+/16 nodes
Stage III A
Grade 3
ER/PR-, Her2/neu ++
Ki67 78%
Begin Chemo 5-2-05 4XAC Dose Dense , 4X Abraxane Dose Dense (ended August 05)
28 Rad's ended October 13 2005
Started Herceptin Weekly August 2005 for one year
Had a Simple mastectomy left side after Mamo showed incresed micro-calcifications. Jan. 17 2006.
Brain MRI Feb.2006--All Clear
August 28, 2006 Last Weekly Herceptin.
October 2006--Colonoscopy, 6 Polyp's removed--all B9
PET Scan July 2007
Abdominal MRI Oct. 2007---2 Right Kidney Cysts
Core Biopsy-- Lump on Scar Line 1-10-08---B9
Brain MRI 6-2008--All Clear
PET/CT Scan 6-2008
Sept. 8 2008, 4CM area removed from mastectomy scar line. Proved to be B9.
PET/CT Scan-- July 2009 --All clear
August 17,2009 ---Had Port Removed
6 Years NED -- April 5,2011
DX'd with Melanoma left arm 10-10-2011
Yorkiegirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2008, 05:19 AM   #3
Pam P

I have one too. I take omeprazole 20 mg once a day. If I eat certain things or right before bed I get heartburn so I try to avoid that. I think I've had the h. hernia for several years now. It hasn't ever gotten larger as reported on the scans.
2/02 tamoxifen
9/02 stage IV bone mets femara
1/03 taxotere/herceptin/aredia
6/03 herceptin, aredia & faslodex
1/04 navelbine, herceptin, aredia
2/05 herceptin/aredia
7/05 xeloda/herceptin/aredia
3/07 xeloda/tykerb/aredia
5/08 taxol/avastin/aredia
2/09 gemzar/herceptin/zometa
7/09 Taxol/Carbo/Herceptin, zometa
10/09 navelbine/herceptin & zometa
2/10 herceptin & tykerb & zometa
4/10 add xeloda &aromasin
10/10 dx with dermatomyiositis triggered by cancer
11/10 restart herceptin, tykerb, zometa
12/10 surgery-place rod in R femur to stabilize bone
1/11 radiation to R femur - 20 tx
2/11 2nd surgery - rod in Left femur
2/11 tx eribulen -- suspended dx brain mets
3/11 brain mets wbr 20 tx
4/11 halaven; discontine 8/11 not working
8/11 radiation to left femur 20 tx'
8-9/11 rad to lower spine
9/11 abraxane/herceptin/zometa
9/12 xeloda/herceptin/zometa
12/12 ablation of liver
Pam P is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2008, 11:50 AM   #4
ElaineM

Wink Hiatal hernia - anyone else have that?

I have had that. I was at my doc's office when it happened. I got such a bad chest pain and asked his assistant to get him right away. He checked me for heart attack and all the other possibilities. He told me what happened and said my stomach was pushing on my other organs. He helped me get on the table and re postioned my stomach. It was pretty uncomfortable, but re positioning it did the trick. My abdomen was a bit tender from all the pushing for a few days, but that got better and avoided gastrointestinal surgery and/or invasive testing. I reported the incident to my other doc who checked it a few days later and told me it was much better. Now I get much less heartburn !! If you are going to have an emergency do it in a doc's office. Smile everyone !!
http://her2support.org/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=48247
Lucky 13 !! I hope so !!!!!!
http://her2support.org/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=52807
14 Year Survivor
http://her2support.org/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=57053
"You never know how strong you are until being strong is the only choice you have." author unknown
Shared by a multiple myeloma survivor.
ElaineM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2008, 12:45 PM   #5
tricia keegan

Me too Steph!

I had just finished my year of herceptin and still had no apettite and continued to lose weight. I had myself convinced it was esophagal cancer so when they did an endoscopy I had a nice surprise to hear this.
(never thought I'd welcome one lol)
I've been taking a daily nexium ever since which keeps it under control for me although I do have problems if I eat greasy or fried foods and also wine
Rads x 36 ..oophorectomy August '06
Currently taking Arimidex..
June 2011 osteopenia/ zometa x1 yearly- stopped Zometa 2015 as Dexa show normal bone density.
Stopped Arimidex July 2014- Restarted Arimidex 2015 for a further two years on the advice of my Onc.
2014 Normal Dexa scan
2018 Mammo all clear, still NED!
tricia keegan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2008, 11:58 PM   #6
Marlys

Steph,
I was diagnosed in 1968 after my first child was born. The treatment was to eat frequent smaller, bland, lo fat meals and sleep sitting up. They might as well have told me to cut off my head. Next, in 1977, after a gall bladder attack and an upper G.I. series I had a cholecystectomy and a hiatal hernia repair for a "large sliding hiatal hernia". No symptoms for a few years. However, I'm sure you have heard that surgery does not always produce permanent results. When I started having all the troubles with my Chron's disease the upper G.I series now showed that in fact the hernia was fixed and at least half of my stomach now resides in my chest along with my esophagus and lungs. And, amazingly, I pretty much am symptom free as long as I don't eat too fast, chew my food enough, and take Nexium. I am not sorry I had the surgery but I will not do it again if I can control the symptoms with common sense. I assume you know that it is a herniation of your stomach through the diaphragm into the chest. Oh, I also quit wearing a girdle in 1968, which really helped, as you might imagine. Does anyone still wear them???
Anyway, hope you do O.K. with this.
Love & hugs,
Marlys
Marlys is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2008, 05:11 AM   #7
Joy

I had one

and a chiropractor fixed it with some repositioning. That was years ago and I have had no problems since. I hope whatever you choose works and works fast, cause they can get to be miserable. Still think we should all be exempt from other medical conditions-or maybe even make a trade-in.

dx stage I 2/2000*er/pr+; her- per IHC*lumpectomy*4 rounds A/C*30 rads*tamoxifen*dx stage 4 5/2002*huge mets to liver*tiny mets to lungs*stopped tamoxifen*5/02 taxotere/xeloda*her 2 checked with FiSH-her2+++herceptin *2/03 stopped chemo femara w/herceptin*zolodex*04 switched to aromasin w/herceptin*05 high estrogen tx*11/05taxol/carbo*7/06 stopped chemo; megace/herceptin*9/06navelbine/herceptin*5/07tykerb/xeloda great response*4/08 progression in liver; ooph/ faslodex /herceptin
6/08 began Herceptin DM-1
9/08 progression
Joy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2008, 06:58 PM   #8
StephN

Wink

Thanks for the reports, Ladies.
Had not thought of a chiropractor as Joy suggested, but there is a good guy in my neighborhood. Might give them a call and see what he says.

Had my Ct scan today, and they will see what the H hernia is looking like now. Then I can go from there.

Since I rarely eat anything greasy (no junk food in this house), but DO drink a little wine, I am probably not doing myself any noticeable harm with the wine at present.

What specific foods bother those who did not list them yet??

MY STORY SO FAR ~~~~
Found suspicious lump 9/2000
Lumpectomy, then node dissection and port placement
Stage IIB, 8 pos nodes of 18, Grade 3, ER & PR -
Adriamycin 12 weekly, taxotere 4 rounds
36 rads - very little burning
3 mos after rads liver full of tumors, Stage IV Jan 2002, one spot on sternum
Weekly Taxol, Navelbine, Herceptin for 27 rounds to NED!
2003 & 2004 no active disease - 3 weekly Herceptin + Zometa
Jan 2005 two mets to brain - Gamma Knife on Jan 18
All clear until treated cerebellum spot showing activity on Jan 2006 brain MRI & brain PET
Brain surgery on Feb 9, 2006 - no cancer, 100% radiation necrosis - tumor was still dying
Continue as NED while on Herceptin & quarterly Zometa
Fall-2006 - off Zometa - watching one small brain spot (scar?)
2007 - spot/scar in brain stable - finished anticoagulation therapy for clot along my port-a-catheter - 3 angioplasties to unblock vena cava
2008 - Brain and body still NED! Port removed and scans in Dec.
Dec 2008 - stop Herceptin - Vaccine Trial at U of W begun in Oct. of 2011
STILL NED everywhere in Feb 2014 - on wing & prayer
7/14 - Started twice yearly Zometa for my bones
Jan. 2015 checkup still shows NED
2015 Neuropathy in feet - otherwise all OK - still NED.
Same news for 2016 and all of 2017.
Nov of 2017 - had small skin cancer removed from my face. Will have Zometa end of Jan. 2018.
StephN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2008, 08:45 PM   #9
JustwannaBE

Hi StephN: I have had a small hiatal hernia for the last 20 years. My gyno is the one who found it back then as I thought I was swallowing my tongue when I would sleep on my right side and start vomiting and it would burn my throat, so he ordered an upper GI and found it. Back then, Zantac was only by prescription so I would pop one when I felt it coming on. He told me being overweight, chocolate, alcohol and eating at least 2 hours before going to bed can make the acid reflux happen. I don't have problems with it much, but when I do, I pop a zantac (over the counter now - 150's). I also noticed that when I was on chemo, it really flared up, but off chemo, no problems. I noted that I went for about 3 months without taking any zantac and thought, wow, this is great. I eat anything I want, I just don't eat after 7:30 at night, and if I do, I watch how much and what it is and then, if I feel I need to, pop a zantac before going to bed. Every scan that I get shows it, and it is nothing for me to worry about. Before breast cancer, I used to drink alot, and that would bother it, and I would take a zantac before going to bed if I drank. Since breast cancer, I quit drinking and have lost 20 pounds and I attribute that not having minimal problems with it. Good luck, and don't worry to much about it. Mine hasn't grown any in over 20 years. Just take a prescription if your dr gives you one, or try either pepcid or zantac (either 75's or 150's) to stop the acid reflux from happening. To me, pepcid took too long to work, zantac works much faster for me (usually within an hour). And boy, make sure you have whatever you are going to take always on hand, because the only way to make it stop happening, once it starts, is to sleep sitting up (and I have done that on many occasions because I was out of it). Cheers and take care.
JustwannaBE is offline   Reply With Quote