HonCode

Go Back   HER2 Support Group Forums > her2group
Register Gallery FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts

Old 09-05-2005, 01:55 PM   #1
*_Celina_*

Hi Everyone,
Carole left this morning for Boston (Dana Farber). It is a significant few days because they will be conducting their "battery" of tests to determine if the drugs is showing signs of working. I really have no idea what the outcome will be..usually I have a good idea just by how she is feeling, but this time things are a little different. I would say that she seems the same in terms of her alertness, ability to walk and see, but she has been sleeping alot lately. I know that this could be due to depression, but I also wonder if the brain mets are spreading even more. We are watching the larger tumor at the base of her skull...about to slip into her spinal chord. This is what we want to prolong as it will cause her respiratory infections that would eventually lead to her death. Sometimes I think she has given up this long and painful struggle, but other times, when I see how deligent she is about taking her meds, I realize that she still maintains hope...thankfully.
On a brighter note, we had a golf tournament fundraiser yesterday, which raised $12,000.00 for Carole and her husband. As you know, OHIP will not cover any of the travel or medical expenses for the trial. The only thing that is paid fpr is the drugs. This three day visit will cost them approx. 20,000.00. I have written letters to OHIP, the Canadian Cancer Society and anyone else who is relevant to this cause, but we have had no replies from anyone to date. It's unbelievable that my sister, who headed up teams for "run for the cure", went door to door collecting money for cancer for years, cannot expect help in return...Oh well as my mother often says these past months whenever anyone complains. "It's not a perfect world! Amen.
I'm hoping that I will write back with some good news about Carole, until then..Happy Healing to all!
Old 09-05-2005, 05:08 PM   #2
al from canada

Celina,
Sunnybrook Cancer Centre in Toronto will be offering a lapatinib trial. I am phoning them tomorrow about something else but will ask them for you.
regards,
Al
Old 09-06-2005, 11:51 AM   #3
*_celina_*

Thanks Al,
I've also heard that it's coming to the Ottawa General as well.
Old 09-06-2005, 12:32 PM   #4
StephN

Great news that the lapatinib trial is spreading it arms into Canada and the needy patients will not have to go through so much expense!

Celina - that is just fabulous that you had so much support for Carole from the golf tournament! People really can come through.

Awaiting news with all positive thoughts sent to Dana Farber!
StephN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2005, 08:07 PM   #5
al from canada

Well, here's the reply from Sunnybrook (on voicemail): there's no trial here that linda will qualify for. Didn't get any more info.
Sorry, maybe you can find more.
Al
Old 09-08-2005, 03:20 PM   #6
*_Celina_*

Al,
Maybe you could try Ottawa?