HonCode

Go Back   HER2 Support Group Forums > her2group
Register Gallery FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts

Old 08-22-2005, 05:29 PM   #1
*_Barbara_*

I am getting read to start one year on herceptin, after being finished with chemo in Jul 2003. My oncologist seems to think it will still benefit me. However, I am scared - not knowing what to expect. I also have to get a port put back in my chest (had it out in Jan 04) - I am experiencing some flashbacks. Anyhow, is anyone a couple years out, and now getting herceptin?
Old 08-22-2005, 06:48 PM   #2
denise99

I was originally on Gemzar and Herceptin for liver mets. After 9 months of treatment, my liver showed NED, so I went on just Herceptin. I have been on Herceptin alone now for 10 months and have absolutely no side effects.
I am tired, but my onc. said that is to be expected since I had a total of 14 months of chemo. But I am still able to work full time and be active. I will find out the results of my latest CT scan this Wednesday, but so far, Herceptin has seemed to keep away my liver mets, so I consider it to be my miracle drug.
Good luck!
Denise in PA
Old 08-22-2005, 09:51 PM   #3
Lisa

Most of us are on Herceptin. Some had original bc years ago, some just now going through mets, still others trying to prevent mets.

There are very few side effects to Herceptin. For me, it means an almost constant runny nose. And I'm frequently tired, but not sure if this is Herceptin or chemo.

Love and light,

Lisa
Old 08-23-2005, 07:13 AM   #4
LindaBL

Barbara:

I am even further away from my last chemo. It was December of 2002. I have not had a recurrence.

The original diagnosis was 2.4 cm IDC, ER+, PR+, and HER2 +. I was node negative. I had lumpectomy, 4 AC, radiation, and now take Arimidex. It was my decision, along with my oncologist's support, to begin a year of Herceptin.

So far, I have had two Herceptin treatments (three weeks apart). Although most women seem to have no side effects, I did feel a little crummy for three days after treatment. On the first day, I had chills, fever, and headache. I'm hoping it will get better with future treatments.

Last time I had treatment, the nurses had a terrible time accessing my veins. I may have to get a port which was somehing I wasn't planning on doing! My infusion takes 90 minutes, which is also longer than I thought it would be...Every three weeks, I have been traveling over two hours, from my shore house, to get treatment. Even with all the inconviences, I hope to finish out the year.

Why did you decide to do Herceptin? In my oncologist's practice, I am the furthest from the original chemo. He did tell me he knows of patients, who are five years out, starting Herceptin.

Linda
Old 08-23-2005, 05:08 PM   #5
*_Barbara_*

Hi Everyone, and thanks for your replies. THe decision to go on a year of Herceptin was an option presented to me last month when I had a 6 month check at the Mayo Clinic, and a recommendation because I had ER+,PR+, HER2NU+, and 6 nodes. I am trying to prepare myself the best way I can to start treatment again, but I struggle with the feeling of being terrified. The thought of a port again and having to deal with side effects is scary. I am supposed to start the first tx 1 Sep, but I won't have my port in by then. I also have the option of going once a week, if I can't handle the every three weeks - by the way does anyone have any experience doing it both ways in terms of ease on the body? I'd really appreciate it. Thanks.
Old 08-24-2005, 06:34 AM   #6
Lisa

Barbara,

Since Herceptin has little or no side effects for most of us, the decision to do weekly or tri-weekly is a mute point. I've had both and can't say I have a preference. Although since I did have recurrences while on tri-weekly, right now weekly is good again.

Remember Chicken Little. It wasn't the sky falling that ultimately did him in, it was his fear.

And as far as a port, personally, I'd much rather have a port than have weekly IVs.

Love and light,

Lisa
Old 08-25-2005, 07:01 AM   #7
Barbara2

Yes, I finished CEF chemo March 03, and yesterday I had #13 of weekly treatments with herceptin.

Now am trying to decide if I should add Taxol to the herceptin. My onc is leaving the decision up to me.

I may start a poll on this topic........