HonCode

Go Back   HER2 Support Group Forums > her2group
Register Gallery FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts

Old 08-11-2005, 10:54 AM   #1
*_Cynthia_*

Friends,

I posted a month or so ago about whether or not to pursue Herceptin more than one year out of treatment.

I was diagnosed 9/03; Her 2+++; 4 nodes +; er+ (90%)/pr+ (30%); bilateral mastectomy; immediate reconstruction (implants); CAF x6 completed 4/04; Radiation; Walter Reed Vaccine; oophorectomy 3/05; Arimidex. Recent PET/CT and bone scans say I am NED.

My original oncologist said no to Herceptin because I am too far out. My second opinion onc. said yes to Herceptin and advised I also take Taxol for maximum synergy. Talk about extremes. I decided to put it to a vote and emailed some of the B/C oncology experts who have been identified on this site. I received back 4 replies: one said do not take Herceptin based on the too far out theory; two said take Herceptin only; one said take Herceptin and Taxol. Well that cleared that right up. I realized what I knew all along -- only I could decide. I opted for Herceptin only and got my first infusion last week. So far so good.

Several weeks ago I noticed two very small bumps at the end of my mastectomy scar on the opposite breast where the cancer occured. The onc. who is giving me Herceptin said he thinks they are small skin tabs and/or are suture related from the surgery (I honestly can't remember if they have always been there -- chemo brain I guess), but let's get a biopsy just in case. So I had the biopsy done last Friday. The surgeon said she too thinks they are nothing to worry about, but then again everyone told me for years that my cancerous tumor was just a cyst and we all know how that turned out. So call me skeptical.

Ok, here is the poll question: My family and I head out for a long overdue vacation this Saturday (two days from now). The biopsy results are probably in though I am currently not scheduled to get the results until after we return. Do I: (1) call and get the results now and have a better trip if all is well but a pretty rotten one if I have mets; OR (2) wait to get the results when I return and hope like mad that I forget about all of it while I am having fun out west. Please cast your vote. In the end, I will make the decision (like I did on the Herceptin/Taxol question) but I would love your input. You are all so darn wise.

Here's to good health ...

Cynthia
Old 08-11-2005, 11:03 AM   #2
AlaskaAngel

Speaking from a boat like yours but trailing behind you by 2 years... I might be better company on vacation if I didn't find out, but I think I'd be one to have to know before I left... (hows that for hedging!)

A.A.
Old 08-11-2005, 11:44 AM   #3
*_Cathy_*

Dear Cynthia- I went to the shore for three days last week and I didn't have one thought of my health or anything negative the whole time. I t really helps you forget. I wouldn't check until I got back. By the way, I am on herceptin five years out from my original surgery. God Bless- Cathy
Old 08-11-2005, 02:09 PM   #4
Linda in Calif.

I would want to know my test results before I went on vacation...but that is just me. I'm kind of a Pollyanna person and would hope the news is good so I could REALLY enjoy myself. By the way, I also started my Herceptin last week 2 years after original diagnosis. I have always had low tumor markers and NED. After I had my last tumor markers done and they came back at 17 I figured I would stop hassling my Onc. about Herceptin. Much to my surprize, when I told him I guess I would wait until my tumor markers started to rise and THEN use the Herceptin, he said that NOW was the time to do it when any cancer in my system is so minut the Herceptin can really nail it. So that is something to think about. Good luck with your test results. Linda in Calif.
Old 08-11-2005, 11:25 PM   #5
Lolly

If you're going to wait until you get back from vacation to deal with a possible recurrence, it won't change anything to find out now or later so I vote to forget about cancer and go have some fun with your family.

<3,
Lolly
Lolly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2005, 09:18 AM   #6
*_Cynthia_*

The verdict is in. I have decided to take a vacation with my family and a vacation from cancer. All of us deserve the break. Thanks so much to all af you who posted and I will let you know my biopsy results when I get them after we return.

Cynthia
Old 08-12-2005, 10:13 AM   #7
Vi

The results will be the same if you know them immediately or a little later. I say take the vacation, live in the moment, and you'll be ready to face whatever you need to upon your return. Take care and have fun.
Old 08-13-2005, 06:16 PM   #8
ronnie

Cynthia,
I also did the Walter Reed Vaccine....I was the one who traveled the farthest....from San Jose, California to Johnstown, PA. Do you know Maureen Pavlik - the Patient Coordinator? Anyway, I was diagnosed with a 2 cm brain tumor on the meninges in April. I had surgery in May to remove it with gamma knife followup therapy.

I have no signs of cancer elsewhere....so perhaps the vaccine did some good.