HonCode

Go Back   HER2 Support Group Forums > Articles of Interest
Register Gallery FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts

Old 07-07-2008, 06:32 AM   #1
Hopeful

Vitamin D receptor variant linked to early onset breast cancer

http://www.breastcancersource.com/br...86_0_0_0.aspx?

Hopeful
Hopeful is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2008, 07:10 PM   #2
donocco5w4

There was a question about Vitamin D supplemantation from another group. The womans oncologist prescribed her 50,000 units Vitamin D weekly as her Vitamin D level came back too low and she asked me why this supplementation was needed, so I did some research.

More is involved than osteoporosis prevention. It seems that women diagnosed with breast cancer who are below normal in Vitamin D have, over a period of 10 years, a 94% greater chance of metastatic spread of their disease, and a 73% greater chance of dying from the breast cancer, as compared to those women with normal levels at diagnosis. I dont know what this means in real numbers but it appears it is important for a woman fighting breast cancer to keep her levels of 25-Hydroxy-Calciferol (25-Hydroxy-Vitamin D) at an optimal level. A normal level of 25-Hydroxycalciferol is between 20 nanograms and 60 nanograms per ml. I imagine keeping the 25-Hydroxy-Vitamin D level around 55 nanograms per ml might be optimal. Certainly this number is wihin the normal range. Levels of 60-90 nanograms per ml are too high and levels of 25-Hydroxy-Calciferol above 90 nanograms per ml are toxic reuslting in hypercalcemia. Women with above normal levels of 25-Hydroxy-Vitamin D (say 70 nanograms per ml) also had a higher mortality rate so going above normal does not seem to be desireable. It might be wise to check with your Oncologist about the 25-Hydroxy-Vitamin D level and keep it optimum.

It appears that Vitamin D activates a gene called P21 and this in combination with the P-53 protein, acts as an inhibitor to cell division.

There are 3 forms of Vitamin D, Vitamin D itself, 25-Hydroxy-Vitamin D, and 1, 25 Di-Hydroxy-Vitamin D (the most active form, made in the kidneys. The best measure of the Vitamin D status of the body is the intermediate 25-Hydroxy- Vitamin D.

Paul (Pharmacist)
donocco5w4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2008, 12:04 PM   #3
Hopeful

Paul,

Thank you for this explanation. I can see from what you have written that this is not a simple matter. I asked my surgeon at my most recent visit in March if she tested vitamin D levels, as my oncologist does not. The surgeon said that she didn't like to order tests when she was not sure what the results were telling her, and, if I at some point had to see an endocrinologist, that doctor would order the tests and explain the results.

Hopeful
Hopeful is offline   Reply With Quote