HonCode

Go Back   HER2 Support Group Forums > her2group
Register Gallery FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts

Old 04-14-2007, 05:37 PM   #21
Mary Jo

I, too, rarely wear my prothesis. For quite sometime I never wore them but just recently started wearing them again now that summer clothing is being worn. I am very comfortable going "flat chested" and it is also extremely comfortable.. Hey, I look at it this way........all those years of HAVING to wear a bra and wishing I didn't have too (God I was really only kidding - hehehehehehehe) now I don't have to if I don't want to so I don't.

You have to do what you are comfortable with it. As with everything else, we are all different. As the saying goes "different strokes for different folks"

Hugs and God's Blessings,

Mary Jo

P.S. When I had just the one breast removed then I always wore a prothesis because that was lopsided and VERY noticeable.
"Be still and know that I am God." Psalm 46:10

Dx. 6/24/05 age 45 Right Breast IDC
ER/PR. Neg., - Her2+++
RB Mast. - 7/28/05 - 4 cm. tumor
Margins clear - 1 microscopic cell 1 sent. node
No Vasucular Invasion
4 DD A/C - 4 DD Taxol & Herceptin
1 full year of Herceptin received every 3 weeks
28 rads
prophylactic Mast. 3/2/06

17 Years NED

<>< Romans 8:28
Mary Jo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2007, 07:53 PM   #22
ekoen

Cool

I too love this question ... I had a bilateral mast followed by reconstruction, followed by rads. then one of the implants had to come out because the skin opened up on the radiated side. As of 1 month ago, I have one implant. how stupid is that...to have one reconstructed breast? I feel like I have to wear a prosthesis. i am thinking about having it removed just to be even and unemcumbered by prosthesis. love to swim and be outside in the summer and don't want to give up any muscle for reconstruction or invest any more time - sorry i did went along with the whole reconstruction idea in the first place, but we can't go there. I have never posted before but find this enormously helpful. Thanks to all of you for giving so generously of your knowlege and experiences.

Esti
ekoen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2007, 10:20 PM   #23
Tricia

Smile

Hello everyone....

Since I started my chemo and lost all my hair I thought I would look terrible bald...but I dont. I am really okay with it. I rarely ever wear my wigs or hats... But I go for my Right Mastectomy this Thursday April 19 and I am really nervous about having only one breast...I was okay with it up unitl this last few days and it has all of a sudden hit me...that I will be lopsided. For sure I would rather be alive with one breast than gone with two...but I have had all these questions like where do you even get a prosthesis? I am sure I will have recon but only after all my chemo is done, which will be about this time nest year. One never knows though maybe it will be like my bald head...once it's done I may not even mind huh
er+/pr- her2 +++ Stage 3b
several tumors
largest 7cm
port placed on Jan 18, 2007
Chemo started Jan 22, 2007
Herceptin/ Taxol every 3d week and then my Dr changed me to Taxotere/Carboplatin/Herceptin
every 3d week
Right Mastectomy w/ Lymph Node Dissection 4/19/07
27 removed 9 positive
Margins-clear but wall to wall
Radiation scheduled for 6/07
Tricia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2007, 12:10 AM   #24
Chelee

When I first had my MRM last year I did get a prothesis for the one side. I felt I was too lopsided not to have one. Then just recently I got my simple mastectomy and I really thought it would be nice to not have to wear a bra or anything since I have a matched set now. If I could get rid of my tummy a bit...I would have it made. But when my stomach sticks out more then my chest...makes me un-comfortable. So when I go out I will be wearing something...I feel I have no choice due to the way I'm built. But here at home I never wear a bra. I'm very comfy at home. Kim if you can get a way with it..I say go for it. I know I would in a heart beat.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Tricia, Your feelings are very normal. I just recently had a prophylactic mastectomy & I thought I was totally fine with my decision until the night before the surgery. Then wham...2nd thoughts! Some times things seem fine till the reality of it sinks in. So many decisions to make...its not easy.
As far as where do you get a prosthesis...you might want to check with your own cancer center. They might be able to direct you. The place I go to has their OWN little shop that carries prothesis, wigs, caps, camisoles & you name it. Check and see if you have something like there handy. If not call the American Cancer Society...I am sure they can tell you where to go. In fact, I am sure many of the ladies here can help you out. Hang in there.

Chelee
Finished yr of wkly herceptin 3-19-07
3-15-07 Lt side prophylactic simple mastectomy. -- Ooph 4-05-07
9-21-09 PET/CT "Recurrence" to Rt. axllia, Rt. femur, ilium. Possible Sacrum & liver? Now stage IV.
9-28-09 Loading dose of Herceptin & started Zometa
9-29-09 Power Port Placement
10-24-09 Mass 6.4 x 4.7 cm on Rt. femur head.
11-19-09 RT. Femur surgery - Rod placed
12-7-09 Navelbine added to Herceptin/Zometa.
3-23-10 Ten days of rads to RT femur. Completed.
4-05-10 Quit Navelbine--Herceptin/Zometa alone.
5-4-10 Appt. with Dr. Slamon to see what is next? Waiting on FISH results from femur biopsy.
Results to FISH was unsuccessful--this happens less then 2% of the time.
7-7-10 Recurrence to RT axilla again. Back to UCLA for options.
Chelee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2007, 07:13 AM   #25
dlaxague

Clothing that complements one-sided mastectomy

I go flat, too. I got the bra and prostheses and expected to wear them after bilaterals, while waiting to decide on reconstruction after treatment. That was 6 years ago and they never made it out of the bedroom. Just too uncomfortable, and instead of making me feel better, they made me feel costumed and MORE aware of what I'd lost. I gave them away eventually.

I'm not svelt enough to wear things like these and besides they are for unilaterals mostly, plus I'm told they're very very expensive. But what an amazing job they did of making lopsidedness look very pretty! The website is in Dutch but it's the photos that you want to see. http://www.lobstar.nl/ . Maybe some of you who are handy with a sewing machine will be inspired.

Debbie Laxague
3/01 ~ Age 49, occult primary announced by large axillary node found by my husband. Multiple CBE's, mammogram, U/S could not find anything in the breast. Axillary node biopsy - pathology said + for "mets above diaphragm, probably breast".
4/01 ~ Bilateral mastectomies (LMRM, R simple) - 1.2cm IDC was found at pathology.
5 of 11 axillary nodes positive, largest = 6cm. Stage IIIA
ERPR 5%/1% (re-done later at Baylor, both negative at zero).
HER2neu positive by IHC and FISH (8.89).
Lymphovascular invasion, grade 3, 8/9 modified SBR.
TX: Control of arm of NSABP B-31's adjuvant Herceptin trial (no Herceptin): A/C x 4 and Taxol x 4 q3weeks, then rads. Arimidex for two years, stopped after second patholgy opinion.
dlaxague is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2007, 08:17 AM   #26
Jean

Wink

Beautiful Ladies,

I just had to think about those skinny unhealthy models who bounce around
with their bones hanging out......

You are all beautiful with or without.....
God Bless all of you!

Hugs,
Jean
ER+ 90% / PR-, Her2+++ by FISH
Ki-67 40%
Arimidex 5/05
Radiation 32 trt, 5/30/05
Oncotype DX test 4/17/06, 31% high risk
TOPO 11 neg. 4/06
Stopped Arimidex 5/06
TCH 5/06, 6 treatments
Herceptin 5/06 - for 1 yr.
9/06 Completed chemo
Started Femara Sept. 2006
Jean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2007, 11:30 AM   #27
Louise O'Brien

Prothesis

I don't know if this properly addresses the issue of "going without". I had a mastectomy on the left side only - so feel quite wierd going out looking so unbalanced.

About two months ago, I went to a shop that specializes in bras and prothesis. I spent hours in the dressing room and was quite exhausted. But, in the end, I left with a bra that was really comfortable and a prothesis that is equally comfortable. Luckily, the owner helped me and I can't stress this enough: you really need the assistance of someone who knows what they're doing. The owner took over from one of the salesgirls who would not have fit me properly.

For a time - it looked like they weren't going to be able to find a proper fit. The owner told me it can take minutes for some people - and hours (in my case) for others.

What I have now is so comfortable, I sometimes forget that I'm wearing it. It's not heavy and actually makes me feel more balanced. I could wear tight t-shirts and you would never know. It is working so well for me that I may not have reconstruction surgery although I will be consulting a plastic surgeon in June to hedge my bets.

It is not cheap though. Luckily, we have access to a government grant which paid for half of it and my husband's insurance will cover the balance.

I think though that if I had both breasts removed, I would go without.
Louise O'Brien is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2007, 12:24 PM   #28
eileen765

I had left masc last year. I haven't worn a bra since, despite being quite large. Breast nurse gave me a softy thing it ended up under me chin, should have pinned it. Then upgraded to a chicken fillet, didn't like that either, it felt heavy and was afraid I'd be going round in circles. Ha ha Don't think anyone notices to be honest. Perhaps when my treatment is over I might want to. Love to all you ladies out there Eileen
eileen765 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2007, 02:14 PM   #29
Soccermom

I had bilateral masts 1/9/05 and I NEVER wear my prosthesis. Had axillary dissections on both sides and have some long term nerve issues...bras just feel horrid, so no prosthesis. I don't miss those 34 DD's harnesses a bit!
I work in retail in Ladies Better Clothing and have invented a "look" that works for me! I sometimes get self concious but all in all feel pretty good about how I look. The only thing I hate is the "mans" belly type thing that I get going on if I am bloated or have been indulging too much!
Todays layered look with tanks and camisoles make looking good ,easy.

Best wishes,Marcia
Soccermom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2007, 09:19 PM   #30
Tricia

just testing
er+/pr- her2 +++ Stage 3b
several tumors
largest 7cm
port placed on Jan 18, 2007
Chemo started Jan 22, 2007
Herceptin/ Taxol every 3d week and then my Dr changed me to Taxotere/Carboplatin/Herceptin
every 3d week
Right Mastectomy w/ Lymph Node Dissection 4/19/07
27 removed 9 positive
Margins-clear but wall to wall
Radiation scheduled for 6/07
Tricia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2007, 08:31 AM   #31
suzan w

I had a bilateral mastectomy, no reconstruction, no prosthesis...just ME!!
5/05 biopsy-invasive lobular carcinoma with LCIS,8mm tumor,stage 1 grade 2, ER+ PR+ Her2+++
6/14/05 bilateral mastectomy, node neg. all scans neg.
Oncotype DX-high risk
8/05-10/05 4 rounds A/C
10/05 -10/06 1 yr. herceptin
arimidex-5 years
2/14/08 started daily self administered injections..FORTEO for severe osteoporosis
7/28/09 BRCA 1 negative BRCA2 POSITIVE
8/17/09 prophylactic salpingo-oophorectomy
10/15/10 last FORTEOinjection
RECLAST infusion(ostoeporosis)
6/14/10 5 year cancerversary!
8/2010-18%increase in bone density!
no further treatments
Oncologist says, "Go do the Happy Dance"
I say,"What a long strange trip its been"
'One day at a time'
6-14-2015. 10 YEAR CANCERVERSARY!
7-16 to 9-16. Extensive (and expensive) dental work done to save teeth. Damage from osteoporosis and chemo and long term bisphosphonate use
6-14-16. 11 YEAR CANCERVERSARY!!
7-20-16 Prolia injection for severe osteoporosis
2 days later, massive hive outbreak. This led to an eventual dx of Chronic Ideopathic Urticaria, an auto-immune disease from HELL.
6-14-17 12 YEAR CANCERVERSARY!!
still suffering from CIU. 4 hospitilizations in the past year

as of today, 10-31-17 in remission from CIU and still, CANCER FREE!!!
6-14-18 13 YEAR CANCERVERSARY!! NED!!
suzan w is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2007, 10:52 AM   #32
Mary Anne in TX

camiville for me!

Hi All! I had a right mast. and wear my pros. nearly every day! It did take a while to get used to it, but now that I have I really forget about it. I bought a bunch of those really cheap bright colored camisoles from Walmart, Dress Barn, etc. and wear the prost. inside with no pocket, etc. It stays in place next to my skin because of the temperature here being so warm most of the time. I tried to get the surgeon to do both sides, but he didn't want me to do that. I kinda wish that I had fought for it, because it would have been so much easier to go without prost. on the days I wanted to be super comfy! But, I'm pleased with the Amoena pros. I wear and the natural way it looks! I don't wear the same clothes as I used to, but close. I do wear the prost. in the pocket bras sometimes, but don't find that as comfortable as the camis! I guess you just get used to about anything! Love to all, ma

Diag. 12/05 at age 60
Stage II, Grade 3, 4.5 cm primary tumor
ER/PR- Her2 +3 strongly positive
Her2 by FISH 7.7 amplified
vascular invasion
Ki67 20% borderline
Jan - March '06 Taxotere/Adriamycin X 3 to try to shrink tumor - it grew
April '06 Rt Modified Radical Mas, 7 of 9 nodes positive
April - Aug. '06 Herceptin/Taxol/Carboplatin X 8 (dose dense)
Sept - Dec. '06 Navelbine/Herceptin x 8 (dose dense)
Radiation & Herceptin Jan. 22 - March 1, 2007
Finished Herceptin Dec. 10 '08! One extra year.
Port removed August, 2012.
8 1/2 years since diagnosis! 5 1/2 Years NED!
Mary Anne in TX is offline   Reply With Quote