HonCode

Go Back   HER2 Support Group Forums > her2group
Register Gallery FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts

Old 03-27-2007, 05:41 AM   #1
ExpectAMiracle

Smile Another TCH newbie

I have been reading lots of posts and posted a few things myself. I'm still a relative newbie to BC, having been diagnosed on 2/8/07. My stats are in my signature. I saw my oncologist for the first time yesterday. I really liked her and feel comfortable with her. I'll be starting TCH on 4/9. Initially she talked about using AC with Herceptin followup, but after some discussions (I was an informed consumer thanks to this board!), she decided that TCH would be best. I have high B/P and am diabetic (well controlled with meds) so she said the TCH rather than AC-H would have less heart risk.

Right now, I am scheduled for 4 TCH treatments, 1 every 3 weeks for 12 weeks. Is that common? I have noticed that many women are getting 6. Is that related to statistics? I would welcome any advice, insights or etc. on TCH therapy.

This board has been so helpful and given me a lot of strength on this journey. The women here are an inspiration. I'm determined to be the VICTOR not the VICTIM in this situation - by the grace of God.

Blessings to all of you!

Determined to be a VICTOR not VICTIM - by the grace of God!
DX 2/8/07 at 48
1.75 cm IDC in left breast, Stage 1
Grade 3, ER-/PR-/HER 3+
Lumpectomy 3/7/07, 5/5 nodes clear, clear margins
Starting TCH on 4/9/07, every 3 weeks X 4 treatments - Completed on 6/12/2007
33 rads to began 7/2/07 and completed on 8/22/07
Herceptin every 3 weeks until April '08
ExpectAMiracle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2007, 06:56 AM   #2
Shell

Susan-

I haven't had that treatment, but I'm sure you'll hear from others - I wanted to commend you on your attitude - my attitude changed from "why me" to "why not me", but it took me a long time!!

Best of luck w/ things,

init diag 3/17/03-stage IIIC
ER-/PR-/HER2+++
CET x4 neo-adjuvant
lump & SNB 8/03
CET x2
radiation and herceptin/navelbine 11-03-1/04
1st reoccur to lymph nodes 8/04
complete axillary dissection 12/04
herceptin/taxotere til progression (lungs) 3/05
xeloda w/out lapatinib trial 6/05
lapatinib/tykerb added 4/06
ended trial 8/06 due to progression
doxil / avastin 11/06-12/06 - wasn't working
navelbine/herceptin/avastin 12/06/3/07 - progression
gemzar/carboplatin/tykerb 4/07
mri shows extensive mets to bone in pelvic area 6/07
switched to abraxane (3 on/1 off) + tykerb 6/07
Shell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2007, 07:08 AM   #3
janet11

A quick post.... I received 6 cycles of TCH. Anyone else?

Dx July 2006 IDC 1.8cm, ER-/PR- HER2+ (FISH 7), KI67 High (60%) grade 3, TOPO II neg
Aug2006: lumpectomy, SNB (4 nodes neg), Stage 1
Jan 2007:
Finished 6 cycles of TCH (Taxotere, Carboplatin, Her ceptin). Then Herceptin every 3 weeks.
Feb 2007: Completed Radiation
May 2007: Stopped Herceptin due to low LVEF (49%)
July 2007: LVEF now 44% -- starting Coreg
May 2008: Heart NORMAL! Yippee.
janet11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2007, 07:10 AM   #4
Becky

Six cycles is common and standard of care.

Becky

Found lump via BSE
Diagnosed 8/04 at age 45
1.9cm tumor, ER+PR-, Her2 3+(rt side)
2 micromets to sentinel node
Stage 2A
left 3mm DCIS - low grade ER+PR+Her2 neg
lumpectomies 9/7/04
4DD AC followed by 4 DD taxol
Used Leukine instead of Neulasta
35 rads on right side only
4/05 started Tamoxifen
Started Herceptin 4 months after last Taxol due to
trial results and 2005 ASCO meeting & recommendations
Oophorectomy 8/05
Started Arimidex 9/05
Finished Herceptin (16 months) 9/06
Arimidex Only
Prolia every 6 months for osteopenia

NED 18 years!

Said Christopher Robin to Pooh: "You must remember this: You're braver than you believe and stronger than you seem and smarter than you think"
Becky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2007, 07:34 AM   #5
Melinda

You go girl!

Hi Sue,
Welcome to the ranks of TCH! Love your attitude, thats what makes all the difference in the world! I started TCH on 3/2 and posted a thread asking about it earlier in the month. Here is the link so that you can see all of us newbies and senior members that have in fact are doing it or DID IT!http://her2support.org/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=27287
IN case the link does not work, it started on March 8th (TCH SIDE EFFECTS)and there are many responses. I have just finished my second treatment and I agree ... its a very doable treatment and much less harsh than A/C. Feel free to email me anytime to compare notes. Everyone is differenet in their side effects but it seems that the overwhelming majority agree.... DOABLE. I have found that taking "prevevntative meds such as Anti nausua, Biotene mouthwash, maybe a tylenol for aches and pains, and of course Imodium, (I am a card carrying member) , will help you through what ever ails you. DRINK LOTS OF WATER. I personally think the worst part is taking the steroids prior to treatment. I asked for a sleep aid (ativan for me) to help get a goods nights sleep the day before and for two more days after. TO me getting a good nights sleep made all the difference in the world The steroids have a tendency to "wire" up and sleep is difficult. I tried Tylenol PM and it didn't cut it.
I scheduled my treatments for a Thursday. I go to work on Friday, and the weekend is for resting, mainly because I take a Neulasta shot for WBC the next day and it gives me that achy flu like feeling for two days. But heah, everyone is different. By Monday I am at 80% and today.... I am feeling great, except for the "metal" flavor that is in my mouth. Oh I wish I could enjoy a great cup of coffee in the AM but that will take a couple more days.
As for hair, I still have most, but its thinning quickly. I ordered a wig and a really neat beaded head covering from www.chemochicks.com
sort of hippy style (they have henna to decorate scalps as well). I will probably need the wig or art work by next week, but I did have my hair cut REALLYshort prior to treatment. SO I have managed to keep hair for almost a month after my first treatment. DOnt worry it grows back.
You can do this. For me the hard part was waiting to see exactly what my treatment would be, knowledge is power and it seems as tho you have taken the bull by the horns. YOu are in my thoughts and prayers. As I said before feel free to email mzerweck1@verizon.net
or continue to post. We can compare notes and take this journey together. Ther are a lot of us out there just starting this. MAybe one day we can all meet wouldnt that be a hoot! Support, friendship and faith are our cornerstone with this..... so charge and know that you are one of our sisters in battle!
Keep the faith
Melinda
PS the American Cancer Society sponsors a LOOK GOOD >>>FEEL BETTER PROGRAM in many areas that has a wonderful cosmetics program...check it out they give useful makeup tips and lots of give aways. I have not seen it mentioned on this board but I will post a thread to it later. Anyone else familiar with this?
Mammosite radiation completed 2/10
Stage1/Grade 1
clear Margins /Nodes Neg
ER+
IHC +2 Fish +
ONCO 23
Started TCH on 3/2 for 6 rounds of TC once every three weels and a year of Herceptin every 3 weeks -
Finished everything and now on Aromasin
Melinda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2007, 07:42 AM   #6
janet11

Ohh... good point Melinda. Coffee! I totally lost my taste for coffee right away and it was a month AFTER TCH ended that I finally had some again. I missed my morning (and afternoon) coffee (*sigh*). (*grin*)

Dx July 2006 IDC 1.8cm, ER-/PR- HER2+ (FISH 7), KI67 High (60%) grade 3, TOPO II neg
Jan 2007:
Finished 6 cycles of TCH (Taxotere, Carboplatin, Her ceptin). Then Herceptin every 3 weeks.
Old 03-27-2007, 07:43 AM   #7
janet11

Does anyone know of a link to show that 6 cycles of TCH (rather than 4) is "standard"?

Hmm.. .just found these:

http://www.prnewswire.com/cgi-bin/mi...E=Dec+18,+2006

http://www.asco.org/portal/site/ASCO...abstractID=193

Not sure they're much help though.

Last edited by janet11; 03-27-2007 at 08:49 AM.. Reason: Links added
Old 03-27-2007, 02:00 PM   #8
ExpectAMiracle

Thanks so much for the replies to my post! Everyone here is so kind and helpful! I will definitely keep in touch with you Melinda. Thanks for taking time to give me all of that great information. I've gotten my Biotene already, but I'll get Immodium too, just in case. I'll see how the sleeping goes. Thanks for the heads up on that!

DX 2/8/07 at 48
Grade 3, ER-/PR-/HER 3+
Old 03-27-2007, 02:02 PM   #9
ExpectAMiracle

I actually am scheduled for a Look Good, Feel Better meeting in April at my local ACS. It sounds like a great program and as you said, you get a great goody bag of makeup for attending. I'm looking forward to it. You can get more info at the ACS website or your local ACS office.

DX 2/8/07 at 48
Grade 3, ER-/PR-/HER 3+
Old 03-27-2007, 08:01 PM   #10
Jean

Red face Melinda (you are a doll) and Susan...

Melinda,

Try iced coffee (I know it is still a bit chilly) but at least you will have your coffee, that worked for me.

Susan,
I had 6 Tch treatments and most have 1 yr. of herceptin, why 9? I would
bring in some information to your onc. to review. Welcome to this wonderful
site of beautiful, brillent ladies and gentelmen. I am sorry that you need
us...but this is just about the best source of knowledge and sharing.

Good luck and keep us posted....if you need anything just reach out...
I am finishing up my 1 yr. herceptin very shortly. Did my TC portion
and completed that in Sept.

You have found the right and only place!
God Bless,
Jean
ER+ 90% / PR-, Her2+++ by FISH
Ki-67 40%
Arimidex 5/05
Radiation 32 trt, 5/30/05
Oncotype DX test 4/17/06, 31% high risk
TOPO 11 neg. 4/06
Stopped Arimidex 5/06
TCH 5/06, 6 treatments
Herceptin 5/06 - for 1 yr.
9/06 Completed chemo
Started Femara Sept. 2006
Jean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2007, 09:45 PM   #11
hutchibk

I don't know if this counts, since I did Taxol/Carbo/Herc after my first recurrence, not as my first line of treatment. I did every 3 weeks x 8, and might have done one or two more except it was beating up my bone marrow a little too much...

NOV 2012 - 9 yr anniversary
JULY 2012 - 7 yr anniversary stage IV (of 50...)

Nov'03~ dX stage 2B
Dec'03~
Rt side mastectomy, Her2+, ER/PR+, 10 nodes out, one node positive
Jan'04~
Taxotere/Adria/Cytoxan x 6, NED, no Rads, Tamox. 1 year, Arimadex 3 mo., NED 14 mo.
Sept'05~
micro mets lungs/chest nodes/underarm node, Switched to Aromasin, T/C/H x 7, NED 6 months - Herceptin only
Aug'06~
micro mets chest nodes, & bone spot @ C3 neck, Added Taxol to Herceptin
Feb'07~ Genetic testing, BRCA 1&2 neg

Apr'07~
MRI - two 9mm brain mets & 5 punctates, new left chest met, & small increase of bone spot C3 neck, Stopped Aromasin
May'07~
Started Tykerb/Xeloda, no WBR for now
June'07~
MRI - stable brain mets, no new mets, 9mm spots less enhanced, CA15.3 down 45.5 to 9.3 in 10 wks, Ty/Xel working magic!
Aug'07~
MRI - brain mets shrunk half, NO NEW BRAIN METS!!, TMs stable @ 9.2
Oct'07~
PET/CT & MRI show NED
Apr'08~
scans still show NED in the head, small bone spot on right iliac crest (rear pelvic bone)
Sept'08~
MRI shows activity in brain mets, completed 5 fractions/5 consecutive days of IMRT to zap the pesky buggers
Oct'08~
dropped Xeloda, switched to tri-weekly Herceptin in combo with Tykerb, extend to tri-monthly Zometa infusion
Dec'08~
Brain MRI- 4 spots reduced to punctate size, large spot shrunk by 3mm, CT of torso clear/pelvis spot stable
June'09~
new 3-4mm left cerrebellar spot zapped with IMRT targeted rads
Sept'09~
new 6mm & 1 cm spots in pituitary/optic chiasm area. Rx= 25 days of 3D conformal fractionated targeted IMRT to the tumors.
Oct'09~
25 days of low dose 3D conformal fractionated targeted IMRT to the bone mets spot on rt. iliac crest that have been watching for 2 years. Added daily Aromasin back into treatment regimen.
Apr'10~ Brain MRI clear! But, see new small spot on adrenal gland. Change from Aromasin back to Tamoxifen.
June'10~ Tumor markers (CA15.3) dropped from 37 to 23 after one month on Tamoxifen. Continue to monitor adrenal gland spot. Remain on Tykerb/Herceptin/Tamoxifen.
Nov'10~ Radiate positive mediastinal node that was pressing on recurrent laryngeal nerve, causing paralyzed larynx and a funny voice.
Jan'11~ MRI shows possible activity or perhaps just scar tissue/necrotic increase on 3 previously treated brain spots and a pituitary spot. 5 days of IMRT on 4 spots.
Feb'11~ Enrolled in T-DM1 EAP in Denver, first treatment March 25, 2011.
Mar'11~ Finally started T-DM1 EAP in Denver at Rocky Mountain Cancer Center/Rose on Mar. 25... hallelujah.

"I would rather be anecdotally alive than statistically dead."
hutchibk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2007, 09:55 PM   #12
Erin

I am also on TCH, 6 rounds with Herceptin to continue for 1 year. I believe the foundation for this protocol was a large study out of UCLA's Jonsson Cancer Center. Here is the link..

http://www.cancer.mednet.ucla.edu/ne...item_id=134542

It doesn't seem to spell out the number of rounds they used for the study though.
SNB 3 nodes clear
Stage 1, Grade 2, HER2+++ (FISH 6.8)
ER + / PR +
TCH, 6 rounds, finished 6/1/07!!!
Herceptin to continue for 1 year
36 rads finished 8/22/07
Port out 8/27/07
Switched to Herceptin weekly for joint pain
Ooph 11/13/07
Erin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2007, 10:02 PM   #13
Grace

Hi Susan in Va,

I only did two rounds of TCH but I was originally scheduled for four rounds. In fact, I was orignally scheduled for just taxol with herceptin. I suggested that we add the carboplatin.
Old 03-27-2007, 11:22 PM   #14
harrie

Tch

Hi.
I started TCH (taxotere/carboplatin) end of Jan 07. This Fri I will be starting my 4th cycle. I could go the 4 rounds, but my oncologist said if I tolerate it well (which I am), might as well go the optimum of 6 cycles. So I am planning on doing the entire 6. The side effects are very manageable and I thought it would be way worse. I am very glad that I chose to do the chemo.

I am doing the herceptin weekly and the chemo every 3 wks. After chemo, I will continue with the herceptin every 3 wks until it makes one yr.

With my diagnosis, it was debatable whether or not to do the chemo. I ended up going for a second opinion (are we allowed to mention names on this message board?) from a very excellent source since he is very involved with HER2 research at UCLA. He confirmed it would be a good idea for the TCH txs and also said, 4 cycles would be fine, but if tolerated well, might as well go the 6.
Harrie

1993: right side DCIS, lumpectomy, rads
1999: left side DCIS, lumpectomy, rads, tamoxifen

2006:
BRCA 2 positive
Stage I, invasive DCIS (6mm x 5mm)
Grade: intermediate
sentinal node biopsy: neg
HER2/neu amplified 4.7
ER+/PR+
TOPO II neg
Oncotype dx 20
Bilat mastectomy with DIEP flap reconstruction
oophorectomy

2007:
6 cycles TCH (taxotere, carboplatin, herceptin)
finished 1 yr herceptin 05/07
Arimidex, stopped after almost 1 yr
Femara
harrie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2007, 04:29 AM   #15
ExpectAMiracle

Thanks for all the replies with regard to number of treatments with TCH. I will talk with my onc. to see if I should go 6. Since I will be gettting Herceptin from the beginning, I will continue on Herceptin after the chemo ends until I have been on it a total of a year. That's why it will be for 9 months after the other chemo ends.

This is such a wonderful place and you are all such a blessing!

DX 2/8/07 at 48
Grade 3, ER-/PR-/HER 3+
Old 03-28-2007, 06:40 AM   #16
janet11

Good luck, Susan.

Jan 2007:
Old 03-28-2007, 11:28 PM   #17
harrie

Tch

Can anyone share with me exactly what medications you are getting for the TCH treatments? I am currently getting taxotere and carboplatinum, dosages are based on the protocol doses of the BCIRG-006 trial which is given at an AUC=6. I had to work with my oncologist because he wanted to modify the dosages at AUC=5 rather then go with the protocol dosages. It was not a pleasant conversation, but the end result is that after the first tx, every tx thereafter was based on what is recommended by the definitions of the trial.

My initial herceptin was the loading dose of 200mg and thereafter I am getting 100mg weekly. After my chemo txs I will be getting 300mg every 3 wks until I make one yr.

1993: right side DCIS, lumpectomy, rads
1999: left side DCIS, lumpectomy, rads, tamoxifen

2006:
BRCA 2 positive
Stage I, invasive DCIS (6mm x 5mm)
Grade: intermediate
sentinal node biopsy: neg
HER2/neu amplified 4.7
ER+/PR+
TOPO II neg
Oncotype dx 20
Bilat mastectomy with DIEP flap reconstruction
oophorectomy

2007:
6 cycles TCH (taxotere, carboplatin, herceptin)
finished 1 yr herceptin 05/07
Arimidex, stopped after almost 1 yr
Femara
harrie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2007, 05:50 AM   #18
janet11

I never asked my dosages. Sorry.

Jan 2007: