HonCode

Go Back   HER2 Support Group Forums > her2group
Register Gallery FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts

Old 03-07-2007, 10:31 PM   #1
harrie

taxotere, carbo, herceptin

Anyone doing TCH: taxotere, carboplatin and herceptin for stage 1 BC and HER2+?

11/06:
bilat mastectomy, DIEP reconstruction;
stage 1, 0.6cm invasive DCIS, 4 cm DCIS, grade 2/3, HER2+ 4.7, nodes clear, margins clear, ER+, PR+; Oncotype DX score 20; TOPO 2 neg; BRCA 1+;
12/06: oophorectomy

Currently: 6 rounds of taxotere, carboplatin and herceptin, 3 wks apart;
Then will receive herceptin every 3 wks after chemo to make 1 yr.

1993: DCIS (rt), lumpectomy, radiation
1999: DCIS (lt), lumpectomy, radiation, tamoxifen (5 yrs)

Last edited by harrie; 03-07-2007 at 10:52 PM.. Reason: more details
harrie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2007, 11:24 PM   #2
Grace

Similar DX

Hi,

Our diagnosis is similar: DCIS and Stage 1A IDC (5mm), clean margins, no nodes or vascular involvement, and HER2 positive (FISH 4.7). ER and PR were negative though.

I did two rounds of taxol, carboplatin, and herceptin and am on herception until September of this year. I was scheduled for four rounds but had some difficulties on the second round and stopped, which I regret. So, if you do have any issues, please call your doctor and get whatever meds you need to get through it. I didn't, foolishly, and I know now that I would have easily made it thru with some medication for the nauseau and the occasional pains. Actually, the worse for me was the constipation and I let that go too long. Make sure you have some senokot and colace in the house before you begin. In other words, don't let any of your side effects get out of hand and you'll do great.

Good luck!
Old 03-08-2007, 01:04 PM   #3
janet11

Yep, i finished 6 cycles of TCH (last infusion was Dec 27, 2006). The major thing to stock (for me) was Biotene mouthwash -- for the days when there is a disgusting taste in your mouth. But just remember, after a few days, it WILL go away (*smile*). TCH is VERY doable.

Janet

Dx July 2006 IDC 1.8cm, ER-/PR- HER2+ (FISH 7), KI67 High (60%) grade 3, TOPO II neg
Aug2006: lumpectomy, SNB (4 nodes neg), Stage 1
Jan 2007:
Finished 6 cycles of TCH (Taxotere, Carboplatin, Her ceptin). Then Herceptin every 3 weeks.
Feb 2007: Completed Radiation
May 2007: Stopped Herceptin due to low LVEF (49%)
July 2007: LVEF now 44% -- starting Coreg
May 2008: Heart NORMAL! Yippee.
janet11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2007, 05:23 PM   #4
holly422

hi, i took taxotere, carboplatin and herceptin in may 2006, and i did about 9 rounds of that. One thing that I can tell you is that the carbo makes everyting taste like metal, I still can't drink from cans. One thing that did help me was Ginger Ale. Please let me know if i can help you in any other way.

Oh, watch out, my white counts got way low when i cas taking those chemos.
holly422 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2007, 05:33 PM   #5
julierene

I had that treatment, but not at stage 1. I WISH I had! Do you like the results of the DIEP?
Aug 04: 4 Taxotere
Dec 05: Bone and Liver METS; Stage 4. Carboplatin/Taxol/Herceptin. DX with Li-Fraumeni Syndrome
Apr 06: NED, maintenance Herceptin
Apr 07: CA1503=14; masses in liver; Xeloda/Tykerb
Nov 07: NED, Tykerb maintenance
Sept 08: Liver mets again, on Tykerb/Xeloda again, CA=19 and 27
Nov 08: Progression, Tykerb/Gemzar, CA=25
Dec 08: Progression, Herceptin/Navelbine, CA=40, 57, and 130
Jan 09: Progression in bone, recession in liver, Herceptin/Carbo/Abraxane CA=135
June 09: CA27/29=24, chemo break
Sept 09: Progression, CA=24, waiting on clinical trial (4 weeks no treatment)
Nov 09: now have brain mets, trial "on hold", getting 14 WBR treatments starting 11/2/09
Dec 09: possible start on p53 trial
julierene is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2007, 07:02 PM   #6
Melinda

Me as well

I am on the same regiment. there is another thread that has many of the same people giving their experiences. http://www.her2support.org/vbulletin...ad.php?t=27097
I was just recently diagnosed and posted the same question. Hope this helps I know it did me knowing that there aer others in the same proverbial barrel. You are receiveing the same as I am.... started on 3/2. Feel free to email me or talk thru these posts. This regiment is "supposedly easier to handle than some of the others. I can't speak on them, but I am seeing more and more people asking about this one.
So far its a doable treatment. I agree with the others, there is a metal taste in many things, but you will find things that are still enjoyable. FOr me a grilled cheese and tomato sandwich tasted like a steak dinner! The hardest part for me is the decadron, which prevents the allergic reactions. You do not get a good nights sleep from the time you start it till at least 2 days after treatment. One of our sisters suggested sonata to help with sleep. I know tylenol pm did NOT cut it> Take your anti nausua meds... I have tigan and zofran and I find that one pill a day in the am is all i need . Better to be prepared than to have the nausau and then take a pill. SOmeone ran the vacumm cleaner at work the other day with the "air freshner"... and all I can say is thank goodness for meds. Tigan is inexpensive and does the trick but if you have a good prescription plan zofran is very good . Biotene and a prescription colgate toothpaste seem to be doing the trick for me. That and drink LOTS of water !
When do you start.......
You are in my prayers...... and since you have made it this far...... you now have a whole bunch of sisters pulling for you now!
Hugs and prayers
Melinda
Mammosite radiation completed 2/10
Stage1/Grade 1
clear Margins /Nodes Neg
ER+
IHC +2 Fish +
ONCO 23
Started TCH on 3/2 for 6 rounds of TC once every three weels and a year of Herceptin every 3 weeks -
Finished everything and now on Aromasin
Melinda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2007, 07:03 AM   #7
Erin

Harrie,
Welcome. Melinda is right, you will find lots of info on this subject on her earlier thread. My info is there but I will add that I am experiencing a great deal of heartburn. I had it already for years and had been sucessfully treating it with prescription meds daily, but I have had to double up and start using tums for intermient flare-ups despite the meds. I had my second round yesterday and haven't had as much trouble with the decadron insomnia as last time. Do have a pretty intractable headache though - don't know if that is herceptin related (?).

As many others have said, I am finding TCH doable. I have missed very little work so far - though I am very lucky in having a fairly sedentary job, and a wonderful boss and co-workers who are picking up the slack for me when chemo-brain sets in.

Best of luck, dear. Bring all your questions, concerns, and emotions here. This group is wonderful! I have been on a couple of other message boards but find that the HER2 + status changes so much for us in terms of treatment choices and outcomes, this site is much better and the info and advice is much more relevant.

Keep us posted!
SNB 3 nodes clear
Stage 1, Grade 2, HER2+++ (FISH 6.8)
ER + / PR +
TCH, 6 rounds, finished 6/1/07!!!
Herceptin to continue for 1 year
36 rads finished 8/22/07
Port out 8/27/07
Switched to Herceptin weekly for joint pain
Ooph 11/13/07
Erin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2007, 07:42 AM   #8
Jean

Hi,

Me Too! You will be fine...everyone upbove just about covered it all.

Wishing you the best!
Jean
ER+ 90% / PR-, Her2+++ by FISH
Ki-67 40%
Arimidex 5/05
Radiation 32 trt, 5/30/05
Oncotype DX test 4/17/06, 31% high risk
TOPO 11 neg. 4/06
Stopped Arimidex 5/06
TCH 5/06, 6 treatments
Herceptin 5/06 - for 1 yr.
9/06 Completed chemo
Started Femara Sept. 2006
Jean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2007, 12:57 PM   #9
janet11

Good point. I never had stomach problems before I stared TCH. During chemo, I had reflux and frequent indigestion. What helped: I used Prilosec OTC daily throughout chemo and for about a month after, and I got some Mylanta gelcaps for "breakthrough indigestion". Those were all I needed.

Dx July 2006 IDC 1.8cm, ER-/PR- HER2+ (FISH 7), KI67 High (60%) grade 3, TOPO II neg
Jan 2007:
Finished 6 cycles of TCH (Taxotere, Carboplatin, Her ceptin). Then Herceptin every 3 weeks.
Old 03-09-2007, 08:20 PM   #10
harrie

reply to tax, carbo and herceptin

Thanks for all the replies! This is my first time using this forum. I am doing GREAT with my treatments. Today was my 3rd and today my oncologist and I argeed to go the full 6 rounds since I am doing so great. My side effects were manageable. Constipation for a few days but this tea called Smooth Move helped a lot. Nausea for a few days which consisted of salivation only. Compazine took care of that, PLUS enabled me to sleep really good. Some sleeping problems with the Decadron, but one 25 mg of Sominex took care of that. Loss of hair of course, but I LOVE my wig (no one can tell, but it looks like I am having a good hair day!!), caps with hair attached, beanies, etc. I LOVE wearing a variety of hair styles so hair loss is not bad at all! Am even considering keeping my hair short and continuing the wigs after my hair grows back!
I had my surgery in CA, but had to go back to my hometown for the chemo. It was a bit difficult because my oncologist in my town didn't want to give me the recommended dosages of the BCIRG which was AUC+6, but I managed to turn an unfavorable relationship with him into a good one and now I am getting the tx I am comfortable with at the dosages I want ANd he is on good terms with me.
Again, thank you for all your responses. Truely appreciate it.
Aloha,
Harrie
Old 03-09-2007, 08:31 PM   #11
harrie

side effect from THC continued

Oh yes, another thing. I noticed some mouth irritation aftr my 1st tx. Redness of the tongue, roughness on top of tongue. I switched to any toothpast WITHOUT the foaming ingredient called sodium laurel sulfate. You can find this in Rembrandt toothpaste for cold sore sufferers and also Biotene toothpaste. Just because the toothpaste claims it is for sensitivity, does not nec mean it does not contain this ingredient. The ones that claim it is for sensitivity is mostly for root or tooth surface sensitivity, not nec tissue irritations.
harrie
Old 03-09-2007, 08:38 PM   #12
harrie

nose irritations

Anyone getting the vessels in your nose impacted from your chemotherapy? Mine has been and I get small clots and pinkish slight bloody noses. I am currently using a nose wash twice a day and in the wash I either put a bit of salt, or Biotene mouthrinse, very diluted. Then at night I line it with an antibiotic ointment. Helps. Still there but much more comfortable.
harrie
Old 03-09-2007, 09:19 PM   #13
Melinda

Side effects

Harrie, sounds as though you are doing great. Keep up the attitude, sometimes I think that counts for 80 persent of the battle. I go for my second round on the 22nd. I too noticed a very little bit of blood when I blew my nose the other day. I attributed to the simply saline that I was using to keep my nose moist. I think I will try your suggestion however. Keep posting, there aer quite a few of us "newbie" that seem to have started at about the same time.
Sending you hugs and prayers,
Melinda
Stage1/Grade 1
clear Margins /Nodes Neg
ER+
IHC +2 Fish +
ONCO 23
Started TCH on 3/2 for 6 rounds of TC once every three weels and a year of Herceptin every 3 weeks -
Old 03-10-2007, 10:03 PM   #14
harrie

wt gain

I am putting on a few lbs and am wondering if it is from the corticosteroid. I am very active with my physical activites, yet I have put on like 3 or 4 lbs from my 2 chemos txs. Maybe I should cut back on my decadron. I am taking 16 mg day before tx, day of, and day after for a totale of 48 mg in 3 days.
What do you think.
harrie
Old 03-11-2007, 05:54 AM   #15
Melinda

HI Harrie
Take the decadron as PRESCRIBED! It prevents allergic reactions. I know the weight gain is very annoying but a pimple on an elephants butt. Believe me I am speaking from the perspective of just having lost oh about 90 pound before being diagnosed. Between the mild depression before making the decision about having chemo, the steroids, and weather, not being able to walk as I have in the past... I gained 8 pounds so far. However, since my first course... I have noticed a lack of desire to eat sweets et due to "metal" mouth. We need to eat properly, and when possible mild to maderate exercise Drink plenty of water, that will help flush your system of the decadron or steriod that you take for the chemo course.
Hugs and Prayers
Melinda
Stage1/Grade 1
clear Margins /Nodes Neg
ER+
IHC +2 Fish +
ONCO 23
Old 03-11-2007, 04:06 PM   #16
janet11

My nose got very dry (silly when it RAN all the time). I'd use some vaseline or Blistix type of ointment to protect it. That was all I needed.

Good luck,

Jan 2007: