HonCode

Go Back   HER2 Support Group Forums > her2group
Register Gallery FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts

Old 11-11-2012, 07:48 PM   #21
Barbara H.

Re: Cannabis and cancer

Hi Steph and Jen,
Steph, your letter to Jen is moving and from the heart. I also lost my father this past April, and am still having a hard time of it. He would have been 94 this past summer so I feel fortunate to have had him for so long.
Jen, both you and Sheila were inspirational to me and gave me a glimmer of hope when I found this site after progressing to stage 4. Sheila reached out to me and helped both my husband and me navigate the issues of my insurance company approving the Tykerb/Herceptin combination I needed. Both of you have such generous hearts, and not a day goes by that I don't log on to see how Sheila is doing.
My thoughts remain with you Jen, and I keep hoping for a miracle.
Barbara H.
Barbara H. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2012, 08:38 PM   #22
Jen

Thank you Steph for your heartfelt post. I cried as I read it. I know many of us on her2 have lost parents to something whether it be cancer, or another illness, or accident, etc.. and I realize that there are people out there younger than me that lose parents. Sometimes I feel selfish after I post on here knowing that I am not the one fighting cancer or dying. I am so full hurt and pain and rage over the things I know I cannot control. I feel so helpless and I HATE it!!!! I hope I have never offended anyone on here with anything I have ever posted as that was not my intent. Please know that I respect each and every one of you here even if I don't always agree with your point of you. I as well as my Mother Sheila have always felt like the people on this website were "family" because we all love and care and want the best for each other and that is familes do (or should do) in my opinion. Thank you everyone for being there for my Mother Sheila as well as her family. We truly appreciate it.

Love,
Jen
Jen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2012, 09:59 PM   #23
Jen

Steph I have watched parts the movie "Living Proof" starring Harry Connick Jr about the drug Herceptin I believe it was on Lifetime. It made me cry and it was very educational as well as emotional as Herceptin helped my Mother for many years when she was healthy enough to take it. I wish Herceptin could have been her "cure" but it wasn't. I will continue my research I won't give up because my Mom is worth it!!!!
Old 11-11-2012, 10:00 PM   #24
Jen

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TdN5GyTl8K0
Old 11-12-2012, 09:20 AM   #25
Patb

Great song, with great message. Just my opinion but
I would eat brownies all day long if I thought they would
help and nothing else had. Remember only my thoughts. One day we all come to this point, be it
cancer or what else but we have the right to chose
how we treat it.
patb

Diagnosed June, 06, Stage I, Grade3, ER+PR- Her2positive, No Nodes. A/C X 4. Radiation 33 with boost, Herceptin every two weeks until Nov.
07, Arimedex for 5 years. Mugas and Echo and chest xRay. Bone scan of whole Body, and Back of Brain and spine MRI.
CT scan of Lungs every six months
due to two small places. December
2009, bone scan due to bone pain.
Follow up test in 2010.
Patb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2012, 09:45 AM   #26
conomyself

Ellie had mentioned Rick Simpson...I have listened to an interview with him, and his work is compelling. If I remember correctly a course of treatment would be about a pound of bud, refined per the instructions on his website. A pound would be cost prohibitive (not to mention possibly felonious), but if you're in a legal or medical marijuana state you can grow it yourself much cheaper.

If you google Rick Simpson Interview, there are a lot that come up, and IMO they are worth a listen.
ER+/PR+/HER2+ amplification 4.8 (whatever that means)
8/13/2012 Brain MRI (clear); bone scan verified CT scan
8/14/12 started Taxotere/Carboplatin/Herceptin, 2 rounds (added Neulasta after 9/4 treatment)
9/4/12 CA 15-3: >3000
9/15/12 CA 15-3: 840
9/15/12 started Taxotere/Perjeta/Herceptin, 4 rounds (no Neulasta)
10/29/12 CT scan showed dramatic improvement in all areas - largest liver met 2.5 cm, largest lung met 10 cm
12/17/12 Started Perjeta/Herceptin, 2 rounds
12/17/12 CA 15-3: 17 Yay!!!
1/21/13 CT scan showed improvement - largest liver met 1.9 cm, largest lung met 2 mm
1/29/13 CA 15-3: 12 Started Herceptin only
3/12/13 CA 15-3: still 12 yay!! Back to Perjeta/Herceptin
3/29/13 CT scan more improvement - largest liver met 1.2 cm, some lung mets disappeared!
3/7/14 started Tamoxifen
6/27/13 - 1/2015 CT scan stable
Began a diet of only single ingredient foods and went nearly NED excepts for some tiny lung spots - ask me if you want to know more...
1/2015 - 1/2017 CT scan stable
conomyself is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2012, 11:48 AM   #27
Jackie07

I thought some of the very strong pain-killers I was prescribed after surgeries (the latest was hysterectomy in Jan., 2010) contain classified ingredients. They were very effective.

NICU 4.4 LB
Erythema Nodosum 85
Life-long Central Neurocytoma 4x5x6.5 cm 23 hrs 62090 semi-coma 10 d PT OT ST 30 d
3 Infertility tmts 99 > 3 u. fibroids > Pills
CN 3 GKRS 52301
IDC 1.2 cm Her2 +++ ER 5% R. Lmptmy SLNB+1 71703 6 FEC 33 R Tamoxifen
Recc IIB 2.5 cm Bi-L Mast 61407 2/9 nds PET
6 TCH Cellulitis - Lymphedema - compression sleeve & glove
H w x 4 MUGA 51 D, J 49 M
Diastasis recti
Tamoxifen B. scan
Irrtbl bowel 1'09
Colonoscopy 313
BRCA1 V1247I
hptc hemangioma
Vertigo
GI - > yogurt
hysterectomy/oophorectomy 011410
Exemestane 25 mg tab 102912 ~ 101016 stopped due to r. hip/l.thigh pain after long walk
DEXA 1/13
1-2016 lesions in liver largest 9mm & 1.3 cm onco. says not cancer.
3-11 Appendectomy - visually O.K., a lot of puss. Final path result - not cancer.
Start Vitamin D3 and Calcium supplement (600mg x2)
10-10 Stopped Exemestane due to r. hip/l.thigh pain OKed by Onco 11-08-2016
7-23-2018 9 mm groundglass nodule within the right lower lobe with indolent behavior. Due to possible adenocarcinoma, Recommend annual surveilence.
7-10-2019 CT to check lung nodule.
1-10-2020 8mm stable nodule on R Lung, two 6mm new ones on L Lung, a possible lymph node involvement in inter fissule.
"I WANT TO BE AN OUTRAGEOUS OLD WOMAN WHO NEVER GETS CALLED AN OLD LADY. I WANT TO GET SHARP EDGED & EARTH COLORED, TILL I FADE AWAY FROM PURE JOY." Irene from Tampa

Advocacy is a passion .. not a pastime - Joe
Jackie07 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2012, 02:17 PM   #28
DanaRT

Jen, I was honored with the chance to meet your mother at Breast Fest '09 in northern Indiana. Sheila made such a positive impression on all the survivors. She is a loving, strong, smart woman.

Interesting you should post about cannabis. My husband has been researching the positive effects of cannabis for several months now. Mostly, as a sleep aid (for me) since the doctor will no longer prescribe ambien.

]
Diagnosed - Nov. 2, 2007 at 45
Lumpectomy - Nov. 13, 2007
Tumor 1.2 cm
Stage 1 Grade 3
ER/PR - Her2 +++ (3.8)
Taxotere/Carboplatin/Herceptin- 6 rounds
Neulasta
Radiation 33 treatments - will be done 6/6/08
Herceptin through 12/08
12/07 MUGA 61%, 4/08 MUGA 60%, 7/08 MUGA 64%
three wonderful daughters, a terrific husband,
Life is Good
DanaRT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2012, 05:14 PM   #29
karen z

Three years ago I heard (twice) at SABCS that "the stupidest cancer cell is smarter than a room full of brilliant researchers" and I have never forgotten that line. Since that time I have almost viewed cancer cells (and their morphing ability) as villains in a science fiction movie- that can do almost anything- and often do. That is what scares me when I do get scared. Getting cancer at any age is not fair nor is having a loved one getting cancer. The same is true of many other diseases/situations.
I learned at eight years of age (when my father died of Lupus when no one- not even the great doctors at Cleveland Clinic knew how best to treat him) that life was not fair. I am 61 years old and think of my dad everyday and still cry most weeks. I was older when I lost my mom. She died at the age of 70 and started to develop dementia at age 63 so I lost her "slowly" and pretty early - as these things go. I understand how cheated many of us feel....how I feel. I would give anything (truly anything) to simply see my mom or dad one more time or be able to smile at them or talk to them one more time. Time hasn't really helped me. I learned early on that life dealt me some bad stuff and that is the way it was going to be. My dad was in his mid 30's when he died. After third grade...............I had no dad and I now do not have my mom. I feel (very much) like an orphan with a still broken heart. So, I don't know what to say except that life is often not fair and many of us have had things happen to us (personally and to our love ones) that are close to unbearable. Still, we must try to go on day by day. I honestly do not know what else to do.
karen z is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2012, 03:57 AM   #30
Ellie F

Hi Karen
I was so touched to read your post it brought tears to my eyes. I am not sure you ever really get over the loss of a parent no matter what age they or you are. I lost my mother and best friend suddenly and in very difficult circumstances twenty years ago. Not a day passes that I don't think about her and miss her. When I was a teenager a lady in her fifties told me that since losing her parents she felt like an orphan,how I recognise that feeling now. We bring our children up to believe in fairness and justice yet life is inherently unfair.As you say we just have to go on sometimes in unbearable situations.In terms of bc my onc says until we understand both sides of the coin, good medicine AND the intricate functioning of the immune system then we will not find our cure.
Ellie
Ellie F is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2012, 04:59 AM   #31
karen z

Hi Ellie,
It is true- we never get over the loss of a parent, no matter what the parent's age or our age. I have had a hole in my heart since I was eight and there is nothing that can be done to fill it- it only got larger when I lost my wonderful mom and saw her slip away from me day by day. I absolutely feel like an abandoned orphan and, again, would do anything to just be able to see (if even from afar- that is how bad it is) my mom and dad I have found that nothing can fill this particular void- years of therapy, an anti-depressant...........We do often have to go on sometimes in unbearable situations......and make choices about how we will/must handle. Things are a bit worse for me now.......divorced and about to have my daughter go off to college but if I am honest with myself- the parent-based hole in my heart (and inability to fill it) has really been there since my mom came home from the hospital and told me and my brother than our dad had died. I go on (as you do) the best I can. It is not often a pretty picture (!) but I try day by day. I feel best when I can do things for others- that is how I was raised and what the religion I was raised in taught me to do- to try and move forward and, especially, help others in even more pain than I am- and there are plenty out there to help. Your oncologist is correct.
karen z is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2012, 10:59 AM   #32
sarah

Stephanie, Jen, Karen, others,
It's so very hard to watch a loved one suffer. My mother was ill and in and out of hospitals for the last 4 plus years of her life. She had Apalstic anemia. I was 32 yrs old when she died, my father died quickly of a heart attack the year before so I didn't see him suffer but I did watch my sweet Mama. I miss her all the time. Soon after she died I went to a screening of the movie Terms of Endearment. I cried silently through it, I had been the Shirley MacClaine character, my Mama had been Debra Winger. I was angry, I was sad, I went through so many emotions during her illness. Like you, I fought for her. I still feel the pain. I slept on her hospital bed the last month, going home in the morning to shower and make phone calls.
I can't tell you how many times I was called over those years and told to come to the hospital that she was dying - sometimes that required a 5 hour plane flight. I'd arrive and she was fine and happy and surprised to see me so know that doctors aren't always right and that patients are stronger than we think.
Also like Stephanie, I received what I believed was a death sentence (invasive cancer recurrence) but here I am 8 years later. things can turn around.
Jen, you must remember to take care of yourself. Your mother would tell you that also.
I appreciated the time I had with mine to talk to her about how much I loved her and also to let her know I would be ok. I hope you have a good support group to help support you. Karen's right, helping others, helps also but we can't always save everyone we want to. In my local cancer support group, we have lost 3 young women (one aged 38) who were such lovely, caring people, it's been a hard year. We're a small group.
Your mom is very special and I know how much she has helped others. Why not try the cannabis and see if it helps at least with the pain.
hugs and love
sarah
Old 11-13-2012, 03:13 PM   #33
Jen

Thank you for your sharing your touching and heartfelt stories with me. I cried while I read your posts knowing that some of you have experienced the emotional pain and know the depths of despair that I am now in. I wish we lived in a more 420 friendly state as a pound of good Indica will cost at least $5 grand the felonious risk doesn't bother me as I would risk getting a million felonies if it meant saving my Mom. My Mom gave me life and I want to give her, her life back for everything she has done for me and my children. I am now going to look into raising money and procuring the "contrabud" I need to make the cure that my Mother's life depends on. Please Pray that time does not run out and I can "get er done".

Jen
Old 11-13-2012, 04:07 PM   #34
Jen

If I can pull this off and it WORKS it will give new meaning to the phrase "There is no hope without dope"
Old 11-13-2012, 05:58 PM   #35
rhondalea

Well, Jen, that made me laugh out loud.

More seriously, I hope it works.
rhondalea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2012, 06:30 PM   #36
Jen

I hope it works too. I am afraid of my Mom objecting to this kind of thing tho. Sheila is very anti-drug and pot isn't legal for any reason here in IL....
Old 11-14-2012, 03:09 AM   #37
sarah

Good luck Jen and a big cyber hug.
love sarah
Old 11-14-2012, 06:02 AM   #38
Pray

Gods blessings to you and your Mom Jen. You are both always in my prayers. Peace my friend.
Her2 +3
4/12 nodes
6 rounds TCH
Herceptin 12 months 3weeks
Rad. 30 tx
Tamoxifin 6 months stopped
Arimedex stopped 9/12 (side effects)
Aromasin 10/12
Pray is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2012, 07:35 AM   #39
Jen

DanaRT Cannabis indica may have a CBD:THC ratio 4–5 times that of Cannabis sativa. The effects of indicas are predominantly physical and sedative. That is what you need.
Old 11-17-2012, 03:48 PM   #40
CoolBreeze

Very simplistically, you can't cure cancer, because cancer is not one disease. It is a constellation of a variety of things that go wrong in a human body that cause cell overgrowth, and pretty much every cancer is different than any other.

Now, cervical cancer is almost 100% curable but it wasn't always. Now, it is preventable with the HPV vaccine but it wasn't always. Nobody is keeping a cure from anybody and if there was one cure, it would be very profitable indeed.

Saying you found a cure for cancer would be like stepping on one ant and saying you've killed every one in the world. Not possible.

California has had legalized pot for several years. You have to get a doctor's note but anything qualifies you - back pain, headaches, etc. You go to pharmacy doctors and pick up your prescription right there, you don't get it from your own doctor. Then you can choose what you want. It is still against federal law so the growers get in trouble - you can only grow for personal use. It's kind of complicated and I don't smoke nor have interest so I don't pay much attention. But, there are a zillion potheads who also get cancer.

We won't see a cure in my lifetime and it's not because "big pharma" doesn't want a cure, it's because it's too complicated a disease.

08/17/09 Dx'd.
Multifocal/multicentric IDC, largest 3.4 cm, associated ADH, LCIS, DCIS
HER2+ ER+/PR- Grade 3, Node Negative

10/20/2009: Right mastectomy, reconstruction with TE
12/02/2009: Six rounds TCH, switched to Taxol halfway through due to neuropathy
03/31/2010: Finished chemo
05/01/2010: Began tamoxifen, the worst drug ever
11/18/2010: Reconstruction completed
12/02/2010: Finished herceptin
05/21/2011: Liver Mets. Quit Tamoxifen
06/22/2011: Navelbine/Zometa/Herceptin
10/03/2011: Liver Resection, left lobe. Microwave ablation, right lobe - going for cure!
11/26/2011: C-Diff Superbug Infection, "worst case doctor had seen in 20 years"
03/28/2012: Progression in ablated section of the liver - no more cure. Started Abraxane, continue herceptin/zometa
10/10/2012: Progression continues, started Halaven, along with herceptin and zometa.
01/15/2013: Progression continues, started Gemzar and Perjeta, an unusual combo, continuing with herceptin and zometa
03/13/2013: Quit Gemzar, body just won't handle it. Staying on herceptin, zometa and perjeta.
04/03/2013: CT shows 50% regression in tumor, so am starting back on Gemzar with dose reduction, staying with perjeta/herceptin/zometa. Can't argue with success!
05/09/2013: Discussing SBRT with Radiology due to inability of bone marrow to recover from chemo.
06/07/2013: Fiducial placement for SBRT
07/03/2013: Chemo discontinued, on Perjeta, Herceptin and Zometa alone
07/25/2013: SBRT (gamma knife) begins
08/01/2013: SBRT completed
08/15/2013: STABLE! continuing with Perjeta, Herceptin, Zometa
06/18/2014: ***** NED!!!!***** continuing with Perjeta, Herceptin, Zometa
01/29/2014: Still NED. continuing with Perjeta, Herceptin. Zometa lowered to every 3 months instead of monthly.
11/08/2015: Progression throughout abdomen and lungs. Started TDM-1, aka Kadcyla. Other meds discontinued. Remission was nice while it lasted.

5/27/18: Stable. Kadcyla put me right back in the barn. I have two teeny spots on my lungs that are metabolically inactive, and liver is clean.

I’m beating this MFer. I was 51 when this started and had two kids, 22 and 12. Now I’m 60. My oldest got married and trying to start s family. My youngesg graduates from Caltech this June. My stepdaughter gave me grandkids. Life is fantastic.
CoolBreeze is offline   Reply With Quote