HonCode

Go Back   HER2 Support Group Forums > her2group
Register Gallery FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts

Old 12-07-2003, 12:29 AM   #1
patty z

Have you had an MRI yet? CTs with contrast are ok, but brain MRIs are the best for seeing what's what...especially with triple contrast and thinner sliced pictures. However, that kind has been reserved for just prior to my two SRS procedures. Otherwise, all my brain mets dx's have been made using MRI, and not CT scans.

One of the reasons I ask, is the number and size may be different with the MRI. I am not totally positive on this, but the 7cm could include edema, so the size of that one MAY be a little smaller....

My tumor markers are good for indicating my body mets...but have never picked up my brain mets. And we don't know why....just "is".

Your anger is rightous. That is why I encourage gals with mets to have symptoms of possible brain mets anyway. A few "symptoms" that last over two weeks time, IF their docs do not 'think' brain mets may be present.... It happens all too often, that we HAVE BRAIN METS without having the 'typical' symptoms of nausea, vomiting, seizures, unbalanced gait....

Decadron is a 'blessing' for severe brain mets symptoms, yet carries with it 'drug from hell' status with it's own set of horrid symptoms... You should have been prescribed something for your stomach at the SAME TIME... And if you find yourself sleep deprived from the insomnia, you may want to demand something to help you get to, and stay asleep.... The other side effects can't be managed as far as I know. I had constant dizziness, extreme bloating with new stretch marks, facial bloating, reddening of face, neck, upper chest accompanied by severe burning feeling, eventual muscle weakness...

I have growth obvious to 3 brain mets & some edema, with an additional 3 showing up now. I have had two Stereotactic Radiosurgeries, without any Whole Brain Radiation by my choice. Have begun taking Temodar, today is my last day of first tx cycle...

And tomorrow I see my rad onc/brain man to discuss possible third SRS procedure, or more hopefully, Fractionated Stereortactic procedure. These procedures are similar to Cyber-knife, Gamma knife, but use a different technique/machine.

My first dx with brain mets was 14 mos ago. I am NED in body from a successful tx of Navelbine/Herceptin a yr ago last month.

My March MRI showed 16 new lesions all very small. I had 5 treated then, keeping an eye on the rest....that is why I personally don't believe I have any 'new' ones...just that they have grown enough to show up on the normal MRI..but given a triple contrast MRI they would all show up again, with some growth to all....

Just some stuff to let you know you are not alone with your fears and questions surrounding brain mets...

many very big hugs,
pattyz
Old 01-11-2004, 12:40 AM   #2
patty z

Dear,
As you may remember, I have not had WBRT, but I have had THREE Stereotactic Radiosurgies, treating a total of ten mets tumors in my brain. I have four left, each nearing the 1cm mark. And I am hoping to get a referral for a CyberKnife treatment on those, avoiding yet again, WBRT.

All of your problems, plus others, are some of the reasons I keep refusing the WBRT.

With each SRS procedure I am on Decadron for 8 days, in a decreasing dose. The first dx my med onc put me on 16mg a day and I nearly croaked! Until my rad onc started cutting me down after a little over a week.

My point is, I have atleast had experience with Dec, the drug from hell, but also the drug that can save us...sigh...

It is just my opionion, but I think you are expecting too much of yourself to go back to work on Thursday, even in a shortened day. It takes me a long time, two weeks atleast, to recover from the small Dec dose that I recieve after my SRS procedures.

You are where I was with the larger doses for a total of three weeks the first time. Weakened legs, moon face, etc etc etc. That one took a very long time to recover from.

Add your WBRT on top and you will be so tired I just hate to see you push yourself...

Because, if you do have swelling, the Dec in a very small dose may indeed be needed yet. No matter what your doc may hope. And that sucks.

If your headaches subside in the next few days....I STILL would hate to see you go back to work so soon. Can you not give yourself time to recover at home???

Hoping I am totally wrong, that you will have a speedy recovery, leaving you with no side effects of ANYTHING in short order...

love and many hugs,
pattyz
Old 01-11-2004, 02:33 AM   #3
Kathie in NJ

I agree with PattyZ you are pushing yourself too fast. Although I had brain surgery and then WBR for 10 days which doesn't appear to be what you had, I was exhausted. I had headaches for awhile after WBR and was kept on steroids to prevent swelling. My girlfriend had the same exact procedure as I and she had headaches and throwing up for weeks following brain Rads. Take it slow and don't push, your body needs time to heal.
Kathie
Old 01-11-2004, 02:39 PM   #4
Lolly

Carla,
I don't have any advice based on experience, but just wanted to offer my wishes for a good recovery for you. Hope you're soon back teaching, hang in there!
hugs,
Lolly