HonCode

Go Back   HER2 Support Group Forums > her2group
Register Gallery FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts

Old 02-17-2006, 05:37 PM   #1
Kim in CA

Brain MRI good, but markers on the rise

Well, I was very relieved to get the call today that my 3 month brain MRI(6 months out from Gamma Knife) is still showing NED, Yeah! But my darned tumor markers have been slowly creeping up since Oct., CA 15-3 now at 26.8. I finally had my Serum Her2 tested too and it is 14.9, almost at the cutoff for normal, which is 15. I am thankful that they are still at least in the normal range, but I find it hard not to obcess about this rising trend. Normal for me seems to be around the high teens.

It's always such a balancing act, trying to stay on top of things, but at the same time, not letting it consume me, to the point where I forget to live each day. I know this is one of the reasons that many docs don't like to do tumor markers regularly, because there is always a chance they could drop back down and then we've stressed out for nothing. Oh, I'm just rambling here, but I have really been trying to bone up on the current new therapies, for when "the time comes".

So, just needed a place to unload some worries, that hopefully won't materialize into anything, and I knew you would all understand.

Well, it's stopped raining so I will go out and clean my horses stall now. Picking up horse poop is always such a marvelous distraction for me.

Kim
Kim in CA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2006, 06:22 PM   #2
Lisa

Kim

My tumor markers have doubled to much to high and double normal. That's why we switched from Gemzar to Xeloda. I just pray that these work. My Jan. scans showed lesions everywhere--except in my brain. Like you, I'm thrilled they have returned there. But GREAT news for you!

You have horses? My hubby and I would lOVE to come help you with chores. Today here in the Denver area it's frigid. 0 degrees without the big wind chill.

Maybe you want to trade houses for a long weekend????

Love and light,

Lisa
Lisa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2006, 09:09 PM   #3
mamacze

Dear Kim,
It can be so unnerving to watch those tumor markers creep up...but you are right to rest in the knowledge that your brain scan was good...the gamma knife worked...and as Julianna a medievil Christian mystic said, "all will be well and all will be well and all manner of things will be well"...keep unloading your worries here where you'll find a mountain of support and understanding...
Love Kim from CT
mamacze is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2006, 08:23 AM   #4
Esther

Kim, I've already gone through 2 times when my tumor markers went up, then they just started to go down on there own again. This is in just the past 12 months.

I hope that this is what happens to you as well. There are apparently other things that can make the tumor markers go up temporarily, though I'm not sure what they are.

Since your MRI was good, and If you're feeling well otherwise, it's likely thatthe rise in the markers is just a temporary blip.
Esther is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2006, 10:36 AM   #5
StephN

Wink Happy about the MRI

So glad this is OK for you so far.
Personally, I am one who likes to keep track of markers as they DO indicate new activity for me. I also started using the serum HER2 test last month and am glad you are also looking at this as a comparison. If it gets too high, have a PET scan or take a long time to feel around for lymph nodes.

Feel free to "unload" any time - it always makes you feel better, doesn't it?
And your horse is a wonderful distraction and stress reducer. I know your horse will help you outrun this cancer!
StephN is offline   Reply With Quote