HonCode

Go Back   HER2 Support Group Forums > her2group
Register Gallery FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts

Old 02-17-2006, 04:25 AM   #1
RhondaH

Question Got a question...

As most of you know, I'm the "diet freak" of the group and eat a VERY strict diet. Yesterday I went to lunch with one of my coworkers and ate of course 1/2 a tuna sandwich, an apple AND for a "treat" (or at least I think it was) a bag of Baked Lays which as the bag states has 0 trans fats. While waiting for my friend I read the contents of the bag which as it stated has "corn oil". With all the news of low fat diets NOT reducing the rates of heart/cancer disease AND all of us knowing about Omega 3,6 and 9, what is YOUR opinion about corn oil, trans fat, heart/cancer risk, etc? I tried GOOGLING corn oil trans fat and got a little information and when I just GOOGLED corn oil, I only got corn producers/genetically modified growers (now THATS scary information). Just looking for input/opinions/information. Take care and God bless.

Rhonda

PS...Here is the list of Ingredients: Dehydrated Potatoes, Modified Food Starch, Sugar, Corn Oil, Salt, Soy Lecithin, Leavening (Monocalcium Phosphate and Sodium Bicarbonate), and Dextrose

Last edited by RhondaH; 02-17-2006 at 04:28 AM..
RhondaH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2006, 01:39 AM   #2
jhandley

Corn oil is not good. Studies have shown it to be tumour promoting..although a "one off" lunch will probably do you very little harm.
jhandley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2006, 06:53 AM   #3
Becky

Corn oil is an oil that contains omega 6 fatty acids. It is not beneficial in that regard but it is not a trans fat (margarine and other solid vegetable oils can have trans fats (hydrogenated or partially hydrogenated vegetable oil will be on the label)). Corn oil is monounsaturated versus polyunsaturated like olive oil. Corn oil is "good" in that it is monounsaturated and has no cholesterol (so in regard to heart health, its fine although olive oil is better there too).

This one time will not harm you. Always remember, it is the ratio of omega 3 to 6 that you need to be aware of. You cannot get away from everything all the time. A good diet most of the time is what is doing the most good.

Best regards

Becky
Becky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2006, 06:58 AM   #4
Unregistered

RondahH please please do not be too convinced by a one trial that fat intake does not impact on breast cancer (as well as general health).

Corn, soy, safflower, sunflower, grapeseed and many other seed oils are high in omega sixes. Omega sixes are the percusors of COX2, and other factors which link to breast cancer including upgrading HER2. The body needs a minimum but the problem is with the advent of mechanical extraction, the relatively low cost and our love of it it is every where. Check nearly any processed food and you will find one or other.

There are a host of trials at various level that suggest it does.

Most authors of health diet books beleive it does many of them citing the evidence by reference to trials.

There is a lot of science on the mechanisms of fats that suggest that they are likely to impact on factors that relate to breast cancer.

If you would like to read more there are lots of posts on this site try using the search engine (I used it for the first time last night and was mightily impressed) and looking at omega threes, omeg six flax seed etc.

I am just reading a book that links reduction in period breat pain and period pain to fat level intake.

I will try and find the trial that is being referred to to see what it says.

A potential probelm is that it is not simply the amount of fat but the type, and the sensitivity of the body to relatively small amounts of different types of fat. Also there is so much "hidden" fat both in natural foods, meats etc it that the point has been made in articles that it is very difficult to come to definative conclusions as against generalisations without do biopsies as to actual fat intake at the same time. (your fat is a mirror of what fat you have eaten)

RB
Old 02-18-2006, 09:21 AM   #5
MCS

Rhonda,

Corn oil is not good. When my husband had his heart attack three years ago, the dietitian said no no no to corn oil.

She recommended canola oil. She even recommended above olive oil.

I think a treat will not get you. Repeated use could.

MCS ( Maria)
MCS is offline   Reply With Quote