HonCode

Go Back   HER2 Support Group Forums > her2group
Register Gallery FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts

Old 08-30-2006, 02:31 AM   #1
Lauriemn

Onc found a lump at 3 month check up, biopsy tomor

Well, I finished my year of Herceptin 3 months ago and was getting ready to have my recon in two weeks, when my onc found a small lump right under my mast scar.
I am so afraid that it was the herceptin that kept the cancer at bay, and that quickly, it has come back.
I go for my biopsy this morning.
Has anyone else had a lump by their scar that turned out to be nothing?
also wondering what treatment people had for a chest wall recurrance, in case this is what it turns out to be.

Thanks,
Laurie
Lauriemn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2006, 06:34 AM   #2
Becky

I have a friend who is triple negative (not positive on ER, PR or Her2) who had a masectomy scar recurrence. She had never had rads so she had some surgery again and then rads to the chest wall. To make the rads a bit more effective, she took 1000mg of Xeloda per day (she did NOT have a distant recurrence - apparently this can make the rads more effective).

However, remember that scar tissue can continue to form on incision site for up to two years. We do have to be diligent in checking all the time (the scar, breasts and areas where the lymph nodes are once a month) and to get lumps checked out. It very well may be nothing but I know that its hard not to worry. I had a cyst about an inch away from my scar checked out in April. It was a lump but turned out to be nothing. My surgeon drained it with a needle and no cancer cells (none were suspected since it was a fluid filled cyst) but... I know what you are going through and I wish you didn't need to. Try not to worry.

Big hug to you

Becky
Becky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2006, 11:17 AM   #3
tricia keegan

Laurie I did'nt actually have a biopsy but did find a lump on my first yearly mammo.It was very hard though and felt like bone rather than another lump and thankfully the Dr said it was scar tissue which had been aggrevated from the rads.I'll be keeping my fingers crossed for you and keep us posted!

Tricia
tricia keegan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2006, 12:23 PM   #4
tousled1

Laurie,

Hopefully it will just turn out to be scar tissue. Did you have radiation after your surgery? I finish up my radiation next Friday and next week it will be just radiation boosts to the incision. I'll keep you in my prayers.
Neoadjunct chemo: 4 A/C; 4 Taxatore
Bilateral mastectomy June 8, 2006
14 of 26 nodes positive
Herceptin June 22, 2006 - April 20, 2007
Radiation (X35) July 24-September 11, 2006
BRCA1/BRCA2 negative
Stage IV lung mets July 13, 2007 - TCH
Single brain met - August 6, 2007 -CyberKnife
Oct 2007 - clear brain MRI and lung mets shrinking.
March 2008 lung met progression, brain still clear - begin Tykerb/Xeloda/Ixempra
tousled1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2006, 06:46 PM   #5
MCS

That is good information because that's one of the concerns that I have regarding the breast wall of the mastectomy.

Ouch Becky. I've had several fluid filled cysts aspirated with a needle and it hurts so I can imagine how much it would hurt with the scar tissue there as well. I was told that fluid filled cysts can also be malignant.

I know that we have to check all the time. My own dx was microcalcifications that I could not even feel.

But do you scared of touching yourself to check. I am always terrified when I do. This is fear factor at its greatest. I even check under my throat for growths.

If this came back after only three months, I am scared to get off this herceptin stuff

I'll follow this thread and I pray for you that all goes well.

MCS ( maria)
MCS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2006, 04:51 AM   #6
Lauriemn

I had my biopsy and the radiologist told me that he thinks it is scar tissue, by the way it looks. whew! I can breath a little easier now. of course, I won't have the results for a few days.

I did have radiation, and that is something I am wondering if I can have more rads in the same spot, if it is a reoccurance.

Thanks for all the prayers and good thoughts, I will let you know when I get the results.

Laurie
Old 08-31-2006, 08:16 AM   #7
CherylS

Hey Laurie,
It's been a long time since I've seen a post from you fellow Mpls. sister. What a bumber. Oh the things we have to go through, huh? Praying that it is just the scar tissue, and watching to hear your results, so keep us posted,
Old 08-31-2006, 11:24 AM   #8
MCS

Good luck Laurie. Your results should be soon. Let us know

XOXO

MCS ( maria)
MCS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2006, 03:46 PM   #9
Lauriemn

Its B9! It turned out to be a fibroid. I do think I will talk to the ps and have it removed next week when I have my recon done.

Hi Cheryl, I have been around, but was enjoying a great summer with my kids and NO treatments. Hope all is well with you also.

thanks again everyone for your prayers!

Laurie
Old 09-05-2006, 04:42 AM   #10
CherylS

Wahooo!!! Great news Laurie. I am very happy for you. Are you using Dr. Ruebeck for your reconstruction? I am finished with all of mine and really thought he did a great job. It was about a nine month process from beginning to end though. I think you were about two weeks ahead of me on treatments. I had my last herceptin June 1 and I agree, it was very nice to have a summer without treatments. Now I am nervously approaching my 3 month and praying all is well.

Nice to hear from you again, and congratulations!
Old 09-05-2006, 05:10 AM   #11
Mary Jo

OHHHHHHH how awesome Laurie.

I'm so happy for you and KNOW the stress you must have been filling.

Hugs!!!!!!!!!!!!!
"Be still and know that I am God." Psalm 46:10

Dx. 6/24/05 age 45 Right Breast IDC
ER/PR. Neg., - Her2+++
RB Mast. - 7/28/05 - 4 cm. tumor
Margins clear - 1 microscopic cell 1 sent. node
No Vasucular Invasion
4 DD A/C - 4 DD Taxol & Herceptin
1 full year of Herceptin received every 3 weeks
28 rads
prophylactic Mast. 3/2/06

17 Years NED

<>< Romans 8:28
Mary Jo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2006, 07:06 AM   #12
Ora

Laurie, My radiologist gave me 5 "extra" shallow electron rad treatments along my scar tissue because she said that recurrence often occurs at the scar site and I noticed that when my onc checks my breast, he really concentrates on the scar. Don't mean to sound discouraging, just another one of those things we all need to keep an eye on.
Lumpectomy 8-4-05, 2cm tumor, 3 nodes neg, Completed 4 A/C, 4 taxol, decadron (weekly due to steriod reaction) finished 4-17-06
Finished 33 rads 6-5-06, Femara, Started Herceptin 6-22-06
Effexor for hot flashes, Taken off Herceptin Feb 2007 due to low LVEF (44 by Echo) Coreg & Lisinopril replaced bp meds - April Echo back up to 55 Resumed Herceptin 5-21-07.
2010: almost 5 YRS NED!!! Still taking Femara & Coreg. Due to all the CT scans, abdominal aneurysm found & repaired. Something good came out of having cancer.
2013 7+ years NED. Still on Femara
Ora is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2006, 07:08 AM   #13
Ora

Laurie, Silly me. I must have skipped down & missed your good news. Congrats & have a wonderful time.
Lumpectomy 8-4-05, 2cm tumor, 3 nodes neg, Completed 4 A/C, 4 taxol, decadron (weekly due to steriod reaction) finished 4-17-06
Finished 33 rads 6-5-06, Femara, Started Herceptin 6-22-06
Effexor for hot flashes, Taken off Herceptin Feb 2007 due to low LVEF (44 by Echo) Coreg & Lisinopril replaced bp meds - April Echo back up to 55 Resumed Herceptin 5-21-07.
2010: almost 5 YRS NED!!! Still taking Femara & Coreg. Due to all the CT scans, abdominal aneurysm found & repaired. Something good came out of having cancer.
2013 7+ years NED. Still on Femara
Ora is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2006, 10:52 AM   #14
tousled1

Ora,

I too am getting (had 1 today) 5 rad treatments directly to the incision site. My radiologist calls them "boosts." Four more to go and can't wait to finish as my skin is getting pretty raw.
Neoadjunct chemo: 4 A/C; 4 Taxatore
Bilateral mastectomy June 8, 2006
14 of 26 nodes positive
Herceptin June 22, 2006 - April 20, 2007
Radiation (X35) July 24-September 11, 2006
BRCA1/BRCA2 negative
Stage IV lung mets July 13, 2007 - TCH
Single brain met - August 6, 2007 -CyberKnife
Oct 2007 - clear brain MRI and lung mets shrinking.
March 2008 lung met progression, brain still clear - begin Tykerb/Xeloda/Ixempra
tousled1 is offline   Reply With Quote