HonCode

Go Back   HER2 Support Group Forums > her2group
Register Gallery FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts

Old 02-24-2015, 09:55 AM   #1
therocky

Help with bone questions!

Hello all,

Was just notified I need to see my endo asap to review the results of my Dexa scan. The diagnosis is weak bones.

In 2005 was dx (age 46, premeno) with invasive breast cancer, stage 1, had lumpectomy, er-, pr-, her 2+++, chemo A/C then taxol with herception for 10 months (had to stop due to low Muga scores). Also had rads.

Thought I was doing well then discovered I was BRCA +, had ooph and bilateral mast with tissue expanders. Currently have implants but have had 2 infections (probably due to damaged tissue from the rads), and waiting to see if I can keep the implants or have to do another reconstruction. Been going through the recon process for almost a year now.

Don't know how much more I can handle.

In 2013 I had a hip replacement due to arthritis and am concerned about "weak bones" and the possibility of bone mets.

My mother had breast cancer premeno and then mets to bones causing her hip to fracture and be replaced. She was on tamoxifin and all kinds of AI, but Herceptin wasn't around then.

Sorry I'm rambling, very worried since I'm not supposed to take AI and concerned that I'm just going to fall and break apart, or have bone mets. I just turned 56.

I have been hypothyroid for many years taking LThroxine tabs and since my son died 6 years ago I've been taking Prozac. Have recently read that SSRIs such as Prozac cause weak bones.

Help!
therocky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2015, 04:55 AM   #2
sarah

Re: Help with bone questions!

Hi Rocky,
If your scan shows weak bones, you'll be put on a Bisphosphonates - I had this problem and was put on Clastoban. If you can, maybe talk to someone about doing weight resistant exercises to strengthen your bones and talk to them about taking magnesium and calcium (magnesium in morning, calcium at night) - the magnesium helps the calcium to absorb and also talk to them about vitamin D3. I'm pretty sure they'll put you on a Bisphosphonates. Good luck.