HonCode

Go Back   HER2 Support Group Forums > her2group
Register Gallery FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts

Old 01-28-2004, 10:42 PM   #1
Raj

Thanks to all three of you for your responses. It has taken the edge off my fears somewhat, although the thought of the surgery is still pretty frightening.
Kathie and Patty, have either of you had any degradation of sensory or motor functions after the surgery?
Maybe my wife will email you directly if she may to ask any specific questions she may have.
Thanks again.
Old 01-29-2004, 12:31 AM   #2
patty z

Raj,

If I have any long term side effects it is hard to weed out what is what. I mean, my vision worsens month by month. I need a new prescription for glasses frequently. But is that from my three SRS procedures?? Don't know.

My memory is about as bad as friends of mine, who are of the same age, without any history of bc, chemo, brain mets or brain mets procedures...so, how can a person decipher what the cause is, other than age, hormones etc.

Those are the ONLY POSSIBLE long term side effects. I play cribbage and dominoes regularly and have no problem still beating my partner!! I think my brain function is pretty normal for someone my age (54) with my history.

I have always been fairly vain when it comes to my 'brain'. So brain mets was quite the slap to my vanity. It is also one of the reasons I have consistenly refused WBRT. But certainly not the most deciding factor for my refusal.

I have included my email addie here, which I don't normally do, if your wife would like to talk to me directly.

hugs to you both,
pattyz
Old 01-29-2004, 04:59 AM   #3
kathie in NJ

Raj,

I thank God never experienced any lasting effects from the surgery nor did my friend. My friend drives a school bus for a living and she was back behind the wheel within 4 weeks of the surgery and radiation. My tumor, as I said, was on my cerebellum and so was my friends. I guess it depends on where it is situated. Please, have your wife email me direct and I will love to help her. I know I was scared to death but had a really good team of Dr's. Where do you live? I was in Virginia at the time.
Kathie