HonCode

Go Back   HER2 Support Group Forums > her2group
Register Gallery FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts

Old 02-11-2009, 09:58 AM   #1
Faith in Him

No Dairy?

Could someone please explain why some cancer patients decide not to eat any dairy? I typically do not eat a lot of dairy but love creamer in my coffee.

Thanks,
Tonya
03/07 CT & Bone scan - Clear
AC x 4, Taxol x 4, Added Herceptin
Radiation until 09/07
Herceptin every 3 weeks until 06/08
01/10/08 local recurrence -IBC
01/28/08 CT & Brain MRI - clear
02/08 - Navelbine & Herceptin
05/08 -MRM
05/08 - Gemzar & Herceptin - didn't work
09/08 - Hyperthermia rads
03/09 - Tykerb/Xeloda
05/10 - Tram flap to fix wound
Faith in Him is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2009, 06:55 PM   #2
Shobha

I am vegetarian and depend on milk and other dairy products for protein. I too am concerned if I should be reducing this from my diet...?

Bumping it up..
BRCA 1 and 2 - Negative
Jan 2008 - Bilateral mastectomy, prophylactic Rt. side.
Radiation for 5 weeks
Completed my yr of herceptin on 07-14-2008
Brain MRI - 3/2/09 Clean
Shobha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2009, 08:56 PM   #3
BonnieR

I have not heard of this.

Post menopause
May 2007 Core biopsy, Rt breast
ER+, Pr-, HER2 +++, Grade 3
Ki-67: 90%
"suspicious area" left breast
Bilateral mastectomy, (NED on left) May 2007
Sentinel Node Neg
Stage 1, DCIS with microinvasion, 3 mm, mostly removed during the biopsy....
Femara (discontinued 7/07) Resumed 10/07
OncoType score 36 (July 07)
Began THC 7/26/07 (d/c taxol and carboplatin 10/07)
Began Herceptin alone 10/07
Finished Herceptin July /08
D/C Femara 4/10 (joint pain/trigger thumb!)
5/10 mistakenly dx with lung cancer. Middle rt lobe removed!
Aromasin started 5/10
BonnieR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2009, 09:02 PM   #4
Debbie L.

the shortened version of my reply

I just wrote and deleted a long reply but the gist of it is that no one knows for sure the answer to most of these dietary questions. Dietary things are really hard to pin down, although you wouldn't know that to listen to some of the magic-bullet cancer foods that enjoy (usually brief) notoriety.

Most people who avoid dairy (who are not vegan) do so because american cows are given growth hormones to increase their milk production, which enters their milk, and could have an effect on cancer growth. I am beginning to see some mainstream milk labeled rBGH-free. Some people eat only organic dairy to get around this. You can google "dairy growth hormone" to read more about it.

What else is in your creamer? I'm more wary of the other stuff in the ones that have a six-page ingredient list of chemicals than I am of the milk product (but I buy organic milk and avoid processed food of any kind - I know, no proof - go figure).

Debbie Laxague
Debbie L. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2009, 09:15 PM   #5
BonnieR

Debbie, good points. I used to enjoy those flavored creamers but have become leery of the chemical ingredients. But since they have very little in common with "dairy" I guess Tonya is referring to real cream. Which sounds like a nice little indulgence to me if you can afford the calories!

I was always encouraged to eat alot dairy while in chemo and needing nourishment. So it must not be contraindicated but more of a personal choice.

Post menopause
May 2007 Core biopsy, Rt breast
ER+, Pr-, HER2 +++, Grade 3
Ki-67: 90%
"suspicious area" left breast
Bilateral mastectomy, (NED on left) May 2007
Sentinel Node Neg
Stage 1, DCIS with microinvasion, 3 mm, mostly removed during the biopsy....
Femara (discontinued 7/07) Resumed 10/07
OncoType score 36 (July 07)
Began THC 7/26/07 (d/c taxol and carboplatin 10/07)
Began Herceptin alone 10/07
Finished Herceptin July /08
D/C Femara 4/10 (joint pain/trigger thumb!)
5/10 mistakenly dx with lung cancer. Middle rt lobe removed!
Aromasin started 5/10
BonnieR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2009, 11:07 PM   #6
CourtneyL

Diary Promotes the Growth of Cancer Cells

Hi - I heard about this when I was first diagnosed too and investigated further. The quick answer is that when humans drink milk, it causes a rise in the amount of insulin-like growth factor I (IGF-I) in the bloodstream. IGF-I is a powerful stimulus for cancer cell growth. When breast cancer cells are mixed with IGI-I in a test tube, for example, they grow rapidly.

A great resource for learning more about this (and the role of nutrition and cancer in general) is The Cancer Project (www.cancerproject.org). I took a free cooking class sponsored by this organization at UCSF and I learned a ton about the role of dairy, meat, etc in cancer. They've got a great book out called "The Survivor's Handbook - Eating Right For Cancer Survival" that explains all of these things and backs it up with citations to scientific studies. Plus there are great recipes.

My husband and I have switched to a mostly vegan diet based on what we learned from The Cancer Project. Of course, I do enjoy the occassional cheese piece now and again ;-)

Jan 09-April 09: Brain mets. Add Tykerb. Watch and wait.
April 09: Gamma Knife 10 brain mets, add Xeloda.
Sept 09: Gamma Knife to 1 brain met.
Nov 09- April 10: Lung progression, add Gemzar to Herceptin, Zometa.
May 10- Sept 10: HER2 Vaccine Trial

Sept 10: Add Tykerb for more brain mets.
Oct 10: Gamma Knife to 7 brain mets.
Dec 10: Switch from Zometa to Denosumab.
Jan 11: Gamma Knife to 3 brain mets.
March 11: Gemzar/Herceptin for lung/bone progression.
April 11: More brain mets - Intrathecal Herceptin
June 11: Ixempra/Herceptin for lung, soft tissue progression.
Aug 11: Gamma Knife
Sep 11: Abraxane/Herceptin
Future: NED

Send me a PM if you'd like to follow my journey on Caringbridge.
CourtneyL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2009, 11:12 PM   #7
CourtneyL

Tonya - If you want to dig even deeper, read a book called The China Study (www.thechinastudy.com). It is about the largest epidemiological study ever conducted examining the role of nutrition and disease. Some really interesting stuff!

Jan 09-April 09: Brain mets. Add Tykerb. Watch and wait.
April 09: Gamma Knife 10 brain mets, add Xeloda.
Sept 09: Gamma Knife to 1 brain met.
Nov 09- April 10: Lung progression, add Gemzar to Herceptin, Zometa.
May 10- Sept 10: HER2 Vaccine Trial

Sept 10: Add Tykerb for more brain mets.
Oct 10: Gamma Knife to 7 brain mets.
Dec 10: Switch from Zometa to Denosumab.
Jan 11: Gamma Knife to 3 brain mets.
March 11: Gemzar/Herceptin for lung/bone progression.
April 11: More brain mets - Intrathecal Herceptin
June 11: Ixempra/Herceptin for lung, soft tissue progression.
Aug 11: Gamma Knife
Sep 11: Abraxane/Herceptin
Future: NED

Send me a PM if you'd like to follow my journey on Caringbridge.
CourtneyL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2009, 01:16 AM   #8
SoCalGal

gluten AND dairy free

Oh - this is one of my favorite subjects

I've been dairy free and gluten free for almost 2 years! Not a vegan or vegetarian or any other thing just doing this for immune system reasons. I eat mostly organic and take a zillion vitamins and supplements each day.

Here are the highlights from a 20 page paper and a 3 hour initial consult and my weekly appointments:

"Of all foods dairy products are the most detrimental to your health because they contain casein (milk protein) lactose (milk sugar) and high amounts of omega-6 and trans fats and saturated fat. People cannot completely digest casein and when the products that result from the incomplete breakdown of casein are absorbed they impair the function of the immune system".

Regarding the cream in your coffee - I also used very little dairy or so I thought. When you start reading labels you will be SHOCKED. Once you get used to a dairy free alternative I found that it was just fine.

"Most whole grain products (whole wheat) contains gluten which is a protein that depresses your immune system. The fats are are nearly all omega 6 polyunsaturated fats. Grains contain only small amounts of healthful phytochemicals and are lacking in many essential vitamins and are very low in calcium. Grains are high in phytates which can block the absorption of essential minerals."

This is a long paper which goes on to mention many of the same issues RB writes and talks about in his book regarding Omega 3's and 6's and how to balance them properly.

Hope this gives you some food for thought
Flori
‘03 latisimus dorsi flap to remove skin mets. CLEAN MARGINS. Continue single agent Herceptin thru 4/04. NED.
‘04 '05 & 06 tiny recurrences - scar line. surgery to cut out. NED each time.
1/2006 Rads again, to scar line. NED.

3/07 Heartbreaking news - mets! lungs.sternum. Try Tykerb/Xeloda. Tykerb/Carbo/Gemzar. Switch Oncs.
12/07 Herceptin.Tykerb. Markers go stable.
2/8/08 gamma knife 13mm stupid brain met.
3/08 Herceptin/tykerb/avastin/zometa.
3/09 brain NED. Lungs STABLE.
4/09 attack sternum (10 daysPHOTONS.5 days ELECTRONS)
9/09 MARKERS normal!
3/10 PET/CT=manubrium intensely metabolically active but stable. NEDhead.
Wash out 5/10 for tdm1 but 6/10 CT STABLE, PET improving. Markers normal. Brain NED. Resume just Herceptin plus ZOMETA
Dec 2010 Brain NED, lungs/sternum stable. markers normal.
MAR 2011 stop Herceptin/allergy! Go back on Tykerb and switch to Xgeva.
May-Aug 2011 Tykerb Herceptin Xgeva.
Sept 2011 Tykerb, Herceptin, Zometa, Avastin.
April 2012 sketchy drug trial in NYC. 6 weeks later I’m NED!
OCT 2012 PET/CT shows a bunch of freakin’ progression. Back to LA and Herceptin.avastin.zometa.
12/20/12 add in PERJETA!
March 2013 – 5 YEARS POST continue HAPZ
APRIL 2013 - 6 yrs stage 4. "FAILED" PETscan on 4/2/13
May 2013: rePetted - improvement in lungs, left adrenal stable, right 6th rib inactive, (must be PERJETA avastin) sternum and L1 fruckin'worsen. Drop zometa. ADD Xgeva. Doc says get rads consultant for L1 and possible biopsy of L1. I say, no thanks, doc. Lets see what xgeva brings to the table first. It's summer.
June-August 2013HAPX Herceptin Avastin Perjeta xgeva.
Sept - now - on chemo hold for calming tummy we hope. Markers stable for 2 months.
Nov 2013 - Herceptin-Perjeta-Avastin-Xgeva (collageneous colitis, which explains tummy probs, added Entocort)
December '13 BRAIN MRI ned in da head.
Jan 2014: CONTINUING on HAPX…
FEB 2014 PetCT clinical “impression”: 1. newbie nodule - SUV 1.5 right apical nodule, mildly hypermetabolic “suggestive” of worsening neoplastic lesion. 2. moderate worsening of the sternum – SUV 5.6 from 3.8
3. increasing sclerosis & decreasing activity of L1 met “suggests” mild healing. (SUV 9.4 v 12.1 in May ‘13)
4. scattered lung nodules, up to 5mm in size = stable, no increased activity
5. other small scattered sclerotic lesions, one in right iliac and one in thoracic vertebral body similar in appearance to L1 without PET activity and not clearly pathologic
APRIL 2014 - 6 YRS POST GAMMA ZAP, 7 YRS MBC & 18 YEARS FROM ORIGINAL DX!
October 2014: hold avastin, continue HPX
Feb 2015 Cancer you lost. NEDHEAD 7 years post gamma zap miracle, 8 years ST4, +19 yrs original diagnosis.
Continue HPX. Adding back Avastin
Nov 2015 pet/ct is mixed result. L1 SUV is worse. Continue Herceptin/avastin/xgeva. Might revisit Perjeta for L1. Meantime going for rads consult for L1
December 2015 - brain stable. Continue Herceptin, Perjeta, Avastin and xgeva.
Jan 2016: 5 days, 20 grays, Rads to L1 and continue on HAPX. I’m trying to "save" TDM1 for next line. Hope the rads work to quiet L1. Sciatic pain extraordinaire :((
Markers drop post rads.
2/24/16 HAP plus X - markers are down
SCIATIC PAIN DEAL BREAKER.
3/23/16 Laminectomy w/coflex implant L4/5. NO MORE SCIATIC PAIN!!! Healing.
APRIL 2016 - 9 YRS MBC
July 2016 - continue HAP plus Xgeva.
DEC 2016 - PETCT: mets to sternum, lungs, L1 still about the same in size and PET activity. Markers not bad. Not making changes if I don't need to. Herceptin/Perjeta/Avastin/Xgeva
APRIL 2017 10 YEARS MBC
December 2017 - Progression - gonna switch it up
FEB 2018 - Kadcyla 3 cycles ---->progression :(
MAY30th - bronchoscopy, w/foundation1 - her2 enriched
Aug 27, 2018 - start clinical trial ZW25
JAN 2019 - ZW25 seems to be keeping me stable
APRIL 2019 - ONE DOZEN YEARS LIVING METASTATIC
MAY 2019 - progression back on herceptin add xeloda
JUNE 2019 - "6 mos average survival" LMD & CNS new single brain met - one zap during 5 days true beam SBRT to cord met
10/30/19 - stable brain and cord. progression lungs and bones. washing out. applying for ds8201a w nivolumab. hope they take me.
12/27/19 - begin ds8401a w nivolumab. after 2nd cycle nodes melt away. after 3rd cycle chest scan shows Improvement, brain MRI shows improvement, resolved areas & nothing new. switch to plain ENHERTU. after 4th cycle, PETscan shows mostly resolved or improved results. Markers near normal. I'm stunned but grateful.
10/26/20 - June 2021 Tucatinib/xeloda/herceptin - stable ish.
SoCalGal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2009, 05:29 AM   #9
ElaineM

Wink No Dairy?

I eat yogurt. All that friendly bacteria in good quality low fat plain or vanilla yoghurt is good for digestive health.
I was never a big fan of milk, but I do eat cheese occassionally. My immune system is fine. My white blood counts were never a problem during treatment. I pay attention the gycemic index of all foods to keep my glucose or blood sugar within normal limits. I try to eat foods with omega 3 oil instead of foods with too much omega 6 oil.
http://her2support.org/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=48247
Lucky 13 !! I hope so !!!!!!
http://her2support.org/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=52807
14 Year Survivor
http://her2support.org/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=57053
"You never know how strong you are until being strong is the only choice you have." author unknown
Shared by a multiple myeloma survivor.
ElaineM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2009, 08:48 AM   #10
Lien

It's a difficult issue. I do believe that diet can be a factor, but not for everyone. We just don't know enough. I eat a rather limited diet, because of severe allergies, and avoid dairy, eggs, coffee, tea, soy, gluten, rice, corn, nuts, chocolate, beef and pork. I don't eat farmed salmon, I only eat free-range chicken, take lots of olive oil, fresh unprocessed fruit & veg, buckwheat, fish, and developed cancer anyway.

There's no easy answer here. But if you find that every virus or bacteria finds a home in your bod, if you feel as if you are getting the flu most days, if you are tired all the time and have headaches, irritable bowel syndrome, asthma, eczema and or severe moodswings, a change in diet might do you some good.

Just my 2 c

Jacqueline
Diagnosed age 44, January 2004, 0.7 cm IDC & DCIS. Stage 1, grade 3, ER/PR pos. HER2 pos. clear margins, no nodes. SNB. 35 rads. On Zoladex and Armidex since Dec. 2004. Stopped Zoladex/Arimidex sept 2009 Still taking mistletoe shots (CAM therapy) Doing fine.
Lien is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2009, 04:11 PM   #11
jhandley

Smile Dr Jane Plant

Jane has written a book about her experience. I don't know if she was her2+ but she was ER+ and she experienced dramatic results when she went off dairy products. If you goole her you will come up with the book. She writes from a scientific point of view and it is quite convincing.
Jackie(down under)
jhandley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2009, 05:57 PM   #12
Debbie L.

timely (to our discussion) announcement by yoplait

http://sev.prnewswire.com/health-care-hospitals/20090209/DC6871709022009-1.html

or tinyurl
http://tinyurl.com/asea3j

I've seen this on other news pages without all credit given to BCA so am not sure how accurate the above take on it is. But the other sites were so busy and annoying with those jumping-around-people that I sent you this one instead. Whoever gets the credit, it's a move in the right direction.

Debbie Laxague

Debbie L. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2009, 06:27 PM   #13
Faith in Him

Thanks for all the suggestions and links. You're the best.

Tonya
03/07 CT & Bone scan - Clear
AC x 4, Taxol x 4, Added Herceptin
Radiation until 09/07
Herceptin every 3 weeks until 06/08
01/10/08 local recurrence -IBC
01/28/08 CT & Brain MRI - clear
02/08 - Navelbine & Herceptin
05/08 -MRM
05/08 - Gemzar & Herceptin - didn't work
09/08 - Hyperthermia rads
03/09 - Tykerb/Xeloda
05/10 - Tram flap to fix wound
Faith in Him is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2009, 07:31 PM   #14
vickie h

I've been off dairy for over 20 years, and off of gluten/wheat for 2 years. I have several friends who have quit all dairy products over the years and their health has improved dramatically. I had a bone scan over a year ago and I have no ostopenia at all. I get my calcium from dark greens and supplements. It's always amazed me that our country consumes an exhorbitant amount of dairy and yet has some of the highest incidences of osteoporosis in the world. Love, Vickie

Life's not about waiting for the storm to pass,
It's about learning to dance in the rain.

Feb 04 IBC IIIC/IV er-/pr- her2+++
3/04 TCH X4
7/ 04 MRM 9/04 Taxol/herceptin wkly 1 yr 33X rads
11/04 skin mets 33x rads,10/05 Avast/Herc. 11 mos.
8/ 06 PET mets lymphs, neck
9/ 06 Navelbine/herceptin
11/ 06 PET NED
2/ 07 skin mets, 4/07 Xeloda, 5/07 add Tykerb
2/ 08 Tykerb failed. Doxil /Herceptin 6 months
8/08 PET skin mets, 8/08 Abraxane/Avastin
11/ 08 PET prog., skin mets
1/09 PET/CT progress, 1/09 Ixempra, 2/09 add Xeloda and low dose Naltrexone
2/09 off Ixempra/Xeloda
3/09 navelbine/herc/cytoxin 4/09 PET shows regress.7/09 start Topotecan. Failed.
8/09 extensive mets rgt brst, back and torso. starting Pazopanib clinical trial.
vickie h is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2009, 06:44 AM   #15
Mary Anne in TX

We're a funny people...aren't we! As the financial situation worsens, I cook more than ever and my little family and I seem to enjoy it so much more than "prefab" foods. We don't do much dairy, a little milk with cereal once in a while and a bit of cheese (my husband does soy everything). I think our habits of "mis-eating", if changed would serve us all well. I've learned for me that whatever is in the pantry, I eat. I'm learning to only shop when I'm not hungry and thinking clearly. Here's to healthy eating and long life. ma

Diag. 12/05 at age 60
Stage II, Grade 3, 4.5 cm primary tumor
ER/PR- Her2 +3 strongly positive
Her2 by FISH 7.7 amplified
vascular invasion
Ki67 20% borderline
Jan - March '06 Taxotere/Adriamycin X 3 to try to shrink tumor - it grew
April '06 Rt Modified Radical Mas, 7 of 9 nodes positive
April - Aug. '06 Herceptin/Taxol/Carboplatin X 8 (dose dense)
Sept - Dec. '06 Navelbine/Herceptin x 8 (dose dense)
Radiation & Herceptin Jan. 22 - March 1, 2007
Finished Herceptin Dec. 10 '08! One extra year.
Port removed August, 2012.
8 1/2 years since diagnosis! 5 1/2 Years NED!
Mary Anne in TX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2009, 11:32 AM   #16
ElaineM

Wink No Dairy?

This is a really good discussion !! I love learning more about nutrition, because I am always trying to improve mine. I wish we had a whole section on nutrition, so that we could discuss it more. I believe what we put in our bodies affects our health.
I mentioned that I eat yogurt and an occassional slice of cheese. I also eat plenty of dark green veggies, beans and other non dairy foods that provide calcium. I am careful about foods that have a high gycemic index and
I hardly ever eat foods with processed sugar or desserts. I am a vegetarian.
Thanks for the link Courtney.
http://her2support.org/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=48247
Lucky 13 !! I hope so !!!!!!
http://her2support.org/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=52807
14 Year Survivor
http://her2support.org/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=57053
"You never know how strong you are until being strong is the only choice you have." author unknown
Shared by a multiple myeloma survivor.
ElaineM is offline   Reply With Quote