HonCode

Go Back   HER2 Support Group Forums > Articles of Interest
Register Gallery FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts

Old 02-07-2009, 03:22 PM   #1
Rich66

Swayze's article

http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn...602850_pf.html

I'm Battling Cancer. How About Some Help, Congress?

By Patrick Swayze
Sunday, February 8, 2009; B04

For me, fighting cancer is personal. Ever since I was diagnosed with pancreatic cancer in January 2008, I've been waging an intense, often hellacious battle. It's me (with a lot of love and medical support) against my disease.
But I'm not alone. More than 1.4 million Americans will be diagnosed with cancer this year. In the United States, one out of three women and one out of two men will be diagnosed with cancer in their lifetimes. Look around you; at one point or another, cancer will strike very close to home for everyone. Last week, it struck one of our legal titans, Supreme Court Justice Ruth Bader Ginsburg, who underwent surgery at the Memorial Sloan-Kettering Cancer Center in New York after being diagnosed with pancreatic cancer during a routine checkup. She was already a colon cancer survivor. Both of us hope to be pancreatic cancer survivors, too.
Our individual battles should also be national ones. With Congress about to decide how much money to include for medical research as part of the economic stimulus package, the time has come to take my personal fight to a larger stage. My message to our senators and representatives is simple: Vote for the maximum funding to let the National Institutes of Health fight cancer and other life-threatening illnesses. It's not only good for our nation's health; it's also good for our economic well-being.
Congress is facing two proposals: a bill approved by the House of Representatives, which includes $3.5 billion for the NIH, and a Senate bill that provides $10 billion for lifesaving scientific work. At a moment when our economy is on its back, the money will also create high-paying jobs and spark economic activity in every part of the United States: The NIH funds projects at hospitals, universities and medical research facilities in towns and cities in each of the 50 states. This money will help every region of America, as well as the individual Americans who will be diagnosed with cancer across the land. Congress should be aggressive and vote for the $10 billion.
The Senate measure would provide funds for thousands of research projects that have already passed through scientific review and can start at a moment's notice. On average, these projects support seven jobs each, according to Acting NIH Director Raynard S. Kington -- which would create tens of thousands of jobs nationwide if Congress approved the full $10 billion. According to Families USA, a nonprofit group that works for better health care, every dollar in federal research spending generates about $2.20 in total economic activity in communities that host funded projects -- about $22 billion in all under the Senate measure.
And lest we forget: Medical research will also extend and save lives, expand treatment options and improve the quality of life for millions of Americans.
New funding is especially important now because it will enable us to build on recent breakthroughs. The mapping of the human genome has provided a springboard into an era of personalized medicine, one in which doctors can tailor treatments to fit individual patients and their unique conditions. We also know more now than ever before about cancer's molecular nature and the way it responds to interventions. New research money will let us take maximum advantage of this new knowledge.
The good news is that we have seen progress against a number of cancers in recent years. The bad news is that for many other kinds, including the type of tumor that has invaded my pancreas and liver, the results are not very good at all. Survival rates for pancreatic cancer, the fourth leading cause of cancer-related death in the United States, are very low and have barely budged over the past 30 years. To date, research has not identified either early detection tools or effective treatments for pancreatic cancer.
When I was growing up in Texas, my family had a simple response for challenges like this: "Stop talking about it, and do something about it." That's how I feel about finding more money for cancer research. My hope is that some day, the words "a cure" won't be followed by the words "is impossible."
Some may question why medical-research spending should be part of an economic stimulus package. They may say that we need more money for "infrastructure." But in fact, medical research supports jobs and infrastructure. By advancing good health, it also enables Americans to reach their individual potential and contribute more to society.
Every year, life-threatening illnesses deprive the economy of hundreds of billions of dollars' worth of lost work time and productive output. Investment in medical research will cut that loss dramatically. The University of Chicago economists Kevin M. Murphy and Robert H. Topel recently estimated that reducing cancer deaths by just 1 percent would provide a $500 billion benefit to the economy in productivity gains and lower health care costs. What we sometimes call "human capital" and what I call "people power" is the most important infrastructure there is.
So here's my plea to Congress: Stand up to cancer. Stand up for people fighting serious disease. Stand up and help restore America's economy. Stand up and help build a prosperous and healthy future for our people by giving the NIH $10 billion for research. Stand up to create jobs, fight illness and deliver hope.
swayzewashingtonpost@gmail.com

Patrick Swayze is an actor whose films include "Ghost," "Dirty Dancing" and "Point Break." He currently stars in the A&E Television Network series "The Beast."
Rich66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2009, 03:31 PM   #2
Rich66

I think it's great someone with a pulpit has put things in terms of lost productivity. Appeal to bean counters to redirect the beans. I'm thinking a little less towards incremental/niche studies for specific cancers and subtypes and more for broader, potentially higher payout approaches like Kanzius'.
Rich66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2009, 11:17 PM   #3
eric

I agree Rich. I'm sorry to see Swayze have to battle that horrible disease but it's good to have a voice that has a greater chance to be heard. I think his words are powerful and I hope that Congress and the health care community take the time to listen. Thanks for posting.
Eric
eric is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2009, 09:21 AM   #4
Brenda_D

Thanks for posting the link. I'm glad that Patrick is able to speak up for cancer patients.
Old 02-08-2009, 12:34 PM   #5
ElaineM

Wink Swayze's article

Good for Patrick !! Maybe instead of a Facebook site someone from our site should do what Patrick did.
http://her2support.org/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=48247
Lucky 13 !! I hope so !!!!!!
http://her2support.org/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=52807
14 Year Survivor
http://her2support.org/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=57053
"You never know how strong you are until being strong is the only choice you have." author unknown
Shared by a multiple myeloma survivor.
ElaineM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2009, 07:18 PM   #6
CindyE

My heart goes out to Patrick as he battles his cancer and tries to get the word out that we need help financially to fight this foe.

L/IDC, 1.2 cm, Stage 1, Her2+, ER+/PR+ at age 48
4/15/2008 Lumpectomy + sentinel node biopsy
Margins neg and Nodes neg (2 tested)
MUGA score 55 on 5/6/2008

Treatment starting 05/08/2008:
Chemo 4 cycles, 3 weeks apart with Taxotere & Cytoxan - Chemo - Done 7/24/2008!
Herceptin for 1 year
Radiation starting in 9/2008
MUGA score 61.9 on 9/04/2008
33 Rads with boost - Done 10/13/2008
MUGA score 58 on 12/01/2008
MUGA score 59 on 3/16/2009
Herceptin for 1 year - Done 4/27/2009
MUGA score 64 on 6/22/2009
All scans - NED 6/24/2009
MRI - NED 11/10/2009
All scans - Still NED 8/25/2011
Still NED 2017!

I am calling this my pink journey
Follow my journey into the pink at my blog here

CindyE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2009, 11:29 PM   #7
Jean

Excellent article! Thank you Rich for posting.
I am a huge fan of Patrick Swayze and have been very sad that he has been dx.

I hope that his letter will recieve the attention it deserves.
ER+ 90% / PR-, Her2+++ by FISH
Ki-67 40%
Arimidex 5/05
Radiation 32 trt, 5/30/05
Oncotype DX test 4/17/06, 31% high risk
TOPO 11 neg. 4/06
Stopped Arimidex 5/06
TCH 5/06, 6 treatments
Herceptin 5/06 - for 1 yr.
9/06 Completed chemo
Started Femara Sept. 2006
Jean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2009, 04:06 AM   #8
Mary Anne in TX

Wouldn't it be great to let all our cancer-fighting voices be heard at one time on one day at one hour! Sort of like our prayer hours but noisy! Thanks to all who raise their voices for us all. ma

Diag. 12/05 at age 60
Stage II, Grade 3, 4.5 cm primary tumor
ER/PR- Her2 +3 strongly positive
Her2 by FISH 7.7 amplified
vascular invasion
Ki67 20% borderline
Jan - March '06 Taxotere/Adriamycin X 3 to try to shrink tumor - it grew
April '06 Rt Modified Radical Mas, 7 of 9 nodes positive
April - Aug. '06 Herceptin/Taxol/Carboplatin X 8 (dose dense)
Sept - Dec. '06 Navelbine/Herceptin x 8 (dose dense)
Radiation & Herceptin Jan. 22 - March 1, 2007
Finished Herceptin Dec. 10 '08! One extra year.
Port removed August, 2012.
8 1/2 years since diagnosis! 5 1/2 Years NED!
Mary Anne in TX is offline   Reply With Quote