HonCode

Go Back   HER2 Support Group Forums > Inflammatory Breast Cancer
Register Gallery FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts

Old 07-03-2007, 12:13 AM   #1
Dianne T

Can you get IBC as a secondary local recurrence?

Hi guys

I have been checking out the site for a while, I was dx last July with stage 3, her2 +++. Have had 4 cycles of chemo, lumpectomy, 4 more cyles of chemo and finished up six weeks of radio in early April will be on herceptin until November.

Can anyone tell me if you can get IBC as a secondary local recurrence? I expected my doggy breast to end up smaller than the other and have been putting the increase in size down to surgery(last November) /radiotherapy which finished over three months ago. I also have breast tenderness and occasional shooting pains in breast and nipple and the breast is a bit warmer. Is it common to still have breast enlargement three months after radio? I mentioned it to my oncologist a couple of months ago who felt it was due to radio. I have seen my GP who I have a lot of faith in and he is treating me for mastitis however I can't help but wonder if it could be IBC?

Dianne
Dianne T is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2007, 07:33 AM   #2
lexigirl

Dianne,

I don't know the answer to your question. However, I have read that can happen after radiation. It is awfully scary and I understand your worry. Can they do some sort of skin biopsy to be sure? I am hopeful that it isn't IBC and you get some answers soon.

Hugs,
Lexi
lexigirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2007, 07:57 PM   #3
Kaye

Hi Lexi, I cannot answer your question, but I can share that I was dx'd with IBC BEFORE I had radiation, and I have not yet had a recurrence of IBC. I don't know if the following has any relationship to developing IBC, but about a year and a half+ before my diagnosis I had all the signs of formaldehyde poisoning after over-exposure to 'new' fiberboard. I had thought that there had been regulations that any fiberboard that was used at that time was 'safe' but learned that the only regulation in place, I believe, was that the treated, safe fiberboard had to be labelled and/or newly manufactured fiberboard was safe. It was still legal to use the old, untreated fiberboard at that time.
Kaye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2007, 02:06 AM   #4
Roz

Hi Dianne,
Did you have the tissue from the lumpectomy tested? I expect that you did. I can't imagine that you would get a secondary mutating to IBC. I had a biopsy to determine the nature of the tumour, so perhaps the onc can suggest something along those lines.
diagnosed June 03. Rt sided Inflammatory BC in rt lower quadrant. 7cm tumour. Also 3 DCIS. 3 rounds of EC, mastectomy with axillary clearance (12 nodes+ of 19). 1 more EC. 5 weeks of rads, with weekly booster to attack skin lymph involvement. 4 cycles of Taxol. Tamoxifen.Recurrence December 04, Herceptin started early Jan05,+ Arimidex.
NED 26 mths. Recurrence early Mar07. Taxol added to Herceptin. NED. Will have total of 6 cycles, then Aromisan and Herceptin. Early Oct 07, recurrence to the pesky right upper lobe, with some pleural thickening upper rt hemithorax. T/X now the treatment. May 2008, Taxatere and Herceptin for lung recurrence
Roz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2007, 05:48 AM   #5
pattyz

Just within the past couple of days I ran into a post from a gal who DID have Inflammatory as a recurrance. Don't recall the details or just where the heck I saw this, tho'. sorry.

pattyz
pattyz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2007, 07:29 PM   #6
mslinda

I thought I also had IBC shortly after radiation.

My breast was swollen, most of the breast was red, and I had what looked like the orange peel skin. I have a mole on the inside of my left breast that has always been flat. It looked like a blister it was so swollen. I had 4 centinel nodes removed. That is the culprit. My lympy system in the left breast is not draining properly. It is still swollen, and as large if not larger than before the lumpectomy. It is still very tender to the touch at times and I have had the redness and warmth a few times. The doctor gives me an antibiotic to take. It has been two years, so I don't guess I will ever be back to normal. What I would give to be back before breast cancer.

I hope this helps.
Linda in S. Mississippi
IDC, ER-PR-, HER2Neu+++
7mm tumor, Stage 1, Grade 3
6 CAF's
38 Rads
Finished 10/05

"Worry looks around. Sorry looks back. Faith looks up."
mslinda is offline   Reply With Quote