HonCode

Go Back   HER2 Support Group Forums > Inflammatory Breast Cancer
Register Gallery FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 11-11-2006, 08:24 AM   #1
tsiet

Cool IBD recurrances

I am hoping someone out there can help me with my questions. I am 42 years old and I was diagnosed with IBC in my right breast over 4 1-2 years ago. I went through 4 months of chemo then I had surgery to remove the breast which was then followed by more chemo and finally with 4 months of radiation. I was told I was in remission and to continue with routine check ups. I continued my check ups until 4 months ago when I was told the cancer had mestasised into bone cancer in my rib cage. At that time the doctor switched me from arimidex to tamoxifin and he started me on monthly treatments of Zoemta. I was told I am stage 4 but an early stage 4. My question is that the docotr keeps insisting that the tomoxifin and zometa are all I need to get well. For someone who has been through chemo and radiation I am concerned that the doctor is not doing enough. I am a single mom with a 15 your old daughter and I don't want to take an chances. I have had one doctor tell me to get out of state where I live because the doctors are not the best and to move to Illinois where the treatment might be better. I am wondering if anyone has used zometa or if maybe I should see another doctor for another opinion. I am just struggling with the fact that a pill is all I need. According to the doctor, zometa is not chemo it is just a treatment for rebuilding the bone. I am having lots of doubts and need to know what others think. thank you in advance for any help you can give.
tsiet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2006, 09:01 AM   #2
Joe
Webmaster

Where do you live? What is your HER2 status? Tykerb is a new drug which is currently being considered for approval by the FDA which has shown promise with IBC.

Here is a good start:
http://www.clinicaltrials.gov/ct/sea...&submit=Search

Regards
Joe

Illegitimi non carborundum

My Album
Joe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2006, 09:43 AM   #3
tsiet

Cool IBC recurrance

HI Joe,
I currently live in Las Vegas Nevada. I have never been told anything about HER 2. I am not even sure what all it means. All I have been told is that my cancer was hormone positive which is why I was originally put on Arimedix. MY originally doctor told me arimedex was more beneficial then tamoxifin because of I was hormone positive but now my doctor has me on tamoxifin. Nothing seems right to me which is why I am so confused and feel like I am getting the run around. Any suggestions would be appreciated.
Old 11-11-2006, 10:25 AM   #4
Joe
Webmaster

Do you have a copy of your pathology report? That would be most helpful.

Regards
Joe

Illegitimi non carborundum

My Album
Joe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2006, 11:23 AM   #5
peytons mom

Dear Joe,

I have a problem. My MD has tried to get me on Tykerb, but I don't meet one of the requirements. Originally, I did the TCH route and didn't have a cycline. My MD wants me to start doxil pending a good MUGA on Wed. I have IBC HER2 and Hormone negative. Mets on breast skin, liver and brain. I really need the tykerb! My liver is good after navelbine and hercetin, my skin so so, and my brain clear after WBR.

My question is this, should I try the doxil and have a difficult time of it because chemo is never easy for me. Or could I wait for tykerb is released?

Melissa
peytons mom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2006, 08:18 PM   #6
Sandy H

Melissa, it would seem to me you should start something now as Tykerb may not be released until March. That would be too long to wait. Maybe, you should get a second opinion. Let us know what you decide. hugs, Sandy
5 rads-skin mets
Herceptin, taxol, carboplatin (taxol seem to be the magic drug)
Navelbine & xeloda (did not work)
topical miltex for skin mets
Tykerb/xeloda
thoracentesis x 2 left lung fluid shows cancer cells
Port removal (4 years) with power port replacement
Doxil
Updated 05-07 Scans show no bone or organ involvement we shall see!

I shall not pass this way again. Any good I can do or any kindness that I can show let me not defer or neglect it for I shall not pass this way again.
Sandy H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2007, 07:43 PM   #7
tsiet

Hello Joe,
You responded to a question I had a few months ago and I couldn't give you an answer to the question you asked until now. It turns out my original oncologist never ran a test to see if I was HER +. My current oncologist had the report done a few weeks ago and it came back that I am HER+ and I do qualify for Herceptin. My doctor decided 3 months ago that the Tamoxifien I was on wasn't working so I started radiation to reduce the pain and I will be starting Herceptin in 2 weeks. I know I am in for a long battle but at least my doctors are now doing something about it. I finally feel like I am fighting this in a more positive manner. Thank you for helping ask the right questions.

Old 03-06-2007, 08:24 AM   #8
betlen5

Teri

I was also 42 when i was first diagnosed with insitu ductal carcinoma Her2+ in the right breast. I received A/C 4x 38 rads after having a lumpectomy. Herceptin was not available at that time that I know of. I think if it had of been maybe I would not have had 4 reocurrances to go through.

Please let me know if this works for you. I have wondered about this for 4 years.

I will keep you in my thoughts and prayers.

God Bless...
8/2004 DX Local Reacurrance; er/pr+ her2 3+ positive; dbl mas reconstructive surgery w/tran flap; no chemo or drugs
11/2005 DX Local Reacurrance; er/pr+ her2 3+ positive; Taxol/Herceptin 1x weekly for 12 weeks; Herceptin for 9 months 1x 21 days
12/2006 DX Local Reacurrance; er/pr- her2 3+ positive; Her 2 rechecked with FISH her2+++ er/pr-
3/9/07 Started Tykerb (Lapatinib) 1250 mg/once daily
Xeloda (Capecitabine 2000 mg/m2/daily 1-14 every 21 days
betlen5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2007, 03:36 PM   #9
kat in the delta

Location: MS Delta in Clarksdale="Home of the Blues" (near Memphis,TN)by Misssissippi River/levee's highest pt.
Thumbs down kat in the delta

Joe,
DO you know when Tykerb will be OUT on the market for use? kat in the delta
kat in the delta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2007, 09:39 AM   #10
Sandy H

No one knows until it is released. Joe will post as soon as he knows so keep watching the board. hugs, Sandy
5 rads-skin mets
Herceptin, taxol, carboplatin (taxol seem to be the magic drug)
Navelbine & xeloda (did not work)
topical miltex for skin mets
Tykerb/xeloda
thoracentesis x 2 left lung fluid shows cancer cells
Port removal (4 years) with power port replacement
Doxil
Updated 05-07 Scans show no bone or organ involvement we shall see!

I shall not pass this way again. Any good I can do or any kindness that I can show let me not defer or neglect it for I shall not pass this way again.
Sandy H is offline   Reply With Quote