HonCode

Go Back   HER2 Support Group Forums > Profiles In Courage
Register Gallery FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 11-24-2004, 10:04 AM   #1
Kristen

I went in for my annual physical and my doctor asked when I last had a mammogram. She said I should check and schedule one. I personally didn't feel anything and didn't really make it a priority. I did go in and have one and when I was finished the tech said to hold on the radiologist might want to run another test. She came back and told me to get dressed and that the doctor wanted to see me. Every time I have been in to get a mamm. I have heard those words and saw the spouse or buddy come back. I was all alone. I was starting to shut down. I went in and I remember him talking and showing me pictures and the only words I remember is that with calcifications it is usually benign, only 20% chance that it is cancer. I walked out of the room and asked my tech, do I have cancer? What am I suppose to do? She told me that I need to see a breast surgeon and have them look at the mamm and you will need to have a biopsy.
I called my primary for a referral and I told her what surgeon I wanted. The surgeon was booked, it was going to take a month I think to get in. But she is just down the hall from my primary and said my nurse could run the films down and she would take a look and if she thought it was something that needed immediate attention she would fit me in. I was in. She said that only 10% of the time that this is cancerous. I am thinking than why am I here?

Off to the biopsy. We did steriotactic. 3 sites. The place I went only specializes in Breasts. The doctor is especially trained for this. One nurse told me to ask the doctor, that he would probably know by the site of the films. His answer to me was a 50/50 chance before the biopsy as we were looking at the films. When it was over and the nurses were packing the biopsy site, they had me in a strange position and I saw the doctor look at me and I just saw it in his eyes. I knew then that I had it. That was done on a Monday and by Wednesday, October 29, 2003 I heard the news. On the phone, all alone. My husband was out of town because he thought we would hear on Thurs. He flew home and we met with the surgeon the next night for over 2 hours.

I ended up being StageIII/gradeIII with calcifications. I had them over a 5mm area. So needed 7mm to get clear margins. Had a masectomy on Nov. 7th. 3/12 nodes postive. er/pr- HER2+++. 7.6 FISH. largest tumor was 1.2 cm. Started Genentech trial on Dec. 15th, 2003. Carbo, Taxotere, Herceptin arm. Will finish up on Dec 6th with final Herceptin infusion. I opted for radiation, 30 treatments. NED. I was 41 yrs old at time of DX.

In my story, I just wanted to remind people that it is very important to have someone with you if you suspect something is wrong. Take someone with you for your initial mammogram. I really didn't think I had anything, but hind site is 20/20. Someone that can write things down for you and ask questions and drive you home. It is the worst news you can hear and no matter how strong you are, your mind will wonder. I had my support system there when I had the biopsy and of course lots of people there for the mastectomy. To me love and support come from the heart, they don't have to be there, but they are and it is the purest form of friendship and family.