HonCode

Go Back   HER2 Support Group Forums > her2group
Register Gallery FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts

Old 03-27-2012, 09:14 AM   #1
valleygirl

question

Hello,
I have my last A/C treatment in 2 weeks. Yay! I've been so sick since I started. I lost 30lbs which I couldn't afford to lose. I talked before about how my shoulders froze after having a double mastectomy and how painful it has been. I've started psycial therpy for it but still can only lift them waist high. I'm so hoping that I fair better on taxol. I really need to get back to work. Since I've been so sick and stuck in bed for the last couple of months I have lost all muscle tone that I had and find it hard to do simple tasks and walk short distances. How do you exercise when you're so sick? I am also experiencing chemo brain and wondering what if anything I can do to prevent it. I'm so hoping it gets better, I really need to get back to work.
valleygirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2012, 10:11 AM   #2
AlaskaAngel

Re: question

I haven't had Taxol so I won't answer that question. You are at a low point in the long duration of treatment. That is when it seems like it takes forever to get through it.

I did have issues with frozen shoulder that were difficult because I was self-employed and my workload kept me stuck so much of the time in one position at the computer that I didn't get much opportunity to loosen it up, but over time with PT it improved. Hopefully slowly working at it with PT will do the same for you. Mine still is weaker than the other one, but it is much better.

It is hard to get to the other side of it all.

A.A.
IDC 1.9 cm, some DCIS, Stage 1, Grade 3
Lumpectomy, CAFx6 (no blood boosters), IMRT rads, 1 3/4 yr tamoxifen
Rads necrosis
BRCA 1 & 2 negative
Trials: Early detection OVCA; 2004 low-dose testosterone for bc survivors
Diet: Primarily vegetarian organic; metformin (no diabetes), vitamin D3
Exercise: 7 days a week, 1 hr/day
No trastuzumab, no taxane, no AI
NED
AlaskaAngel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2012, 10:16 AM   #3
Jackie07

Walking is really the best exercise because it is safe and you can do it anywhere. You can also bend your knees every few steps for flexibility.

NICU 4.4 LB
Erythema Nodosum 85
Life-long Central Neurocytoma 4x5x6.5 cm 23 hrs 62090 semi-coma 10 d PT OT ST 30 d
3 Infertility tmts 99 > 3 u. fibroids > Pills
CN 3 GKRS 52301
IDC 1.2 cm Her2 +++ ER 5% R. Lmptmy SLNB+1 71703 6 FEC 33 R Tamoxifen
Recc IIB 2.5 cm Bi-L Mast 61407 2/9 nds PET
6 TCH Cellulitis - Lymphedema - compression sleeve & glove
H w x 4 MUGA 51 D, J 49 M
Diastasis recti
Tamoxifen B. scan
Irrtbl bowel 1'09
Colonoscopy 313
BRCA1 V1247I
hptc hemangioma
Vertigo
GI - > yogurt
hysterectomy/oophorectomy 011410
Exemestane 25 mg tab 102912 ~ 101016 stopped due to r. hip/l.thigh pain after long walk
DEXA 1/13
1-2016 lesions in liver largest 9mm & 1.3 cm onco. says not cancer.
3-11 Appendectomy - visually O.K., a lot of puss. Final path result - not cancer.
Start Vitamin D3 and Calcium supplement (600mg x2)
10-10 Stopped Exemestane due to r. hip/l.thigh pain OKed by Onco 11-08-2016
7-23-2018 9 mm groundglass nodule within the right lower lobe with indolent behavior. Due to possible adenocarcinoma, Recommend annual surveilence.
7-10-2019 CT to check lung nodule.
1-10-2020 8mm stable nodule on R Lung, two 6mm new ones on L Lung, a possible lymph node involvement in inter fissule.
"I WANT TO BE AN OUTRAGEOUS OLD WOMAN WHO NEVER GETS CALLED AN OLD LADY. I WANT TO GET SHARP EDGED & EARTH COLORED, TILL I FADE AWAY FROM PURE JOY." Irene from Tampa

Advocacy is a passion .. not a pastime - Joe
Jackie07 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2012, 11:04 AM   #4
ElaineM

Wink Re: question

If you don't have the energy to get up and walk you can do exercises in bed. Get some exercises from your therapist for your arms. You can make believe you are peddling a bike while you are laying in bed. You can also do butt crunches, move your feet around and do finger exercises. You can also get some breathing exercises from you therapist. That will help your stamina. Good luck with the PT. Take care.
http://her2support.org/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=48247
Lucky 13 !! I hope so !!!!!!
http://her2support.org/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=52807
14 Year Survivor
http://her2support.org/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=57053
"You never know how strong you are until being strong is the only choice you have." author unknown
Shared by a multiple myeloma survivor.
ElaineM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2012, 11:14 AM   #5
AlaskaAngel

exercises

Elaine,

I have been surprised at just how much difference doing a few exercises daily on a consistent basis in bed does make for me. I didn't get the exercises from elsewhere, and I started out slow with them, but they have been truly helpful.

A.A.
IDC 1.9 cm, some DCIS, Stage 1, Grade 3
Lumpectomy, CAFx6 (no blood boosters), IMRT rads, 1 3/4 yr tamoxifen
Rads necrosis
BRCA 1 & 2 negative
Trials: Early detection OVCA; 2004 low-dose testosterone for bc survivors
Diet: Primarily vegetarian organic; metformin (no diabetes), vitamin D3
Exercise: 7 days a week, 1 hr/day
No trastuzumab, no taxane, no AI
NED
AlaskaAngel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2012, 11:50 AM   #6
StephN

Speaking of exercise in bed - I mainly do stretches. You can bring your knees up to your chest and hug them to give your back and hamstrings a gentle stretch and hold. (The "egg" position.)

Sitting up in bed allows for some upper body and arm stretches as well as neck swivels in each direction. Keeping some flexibility will be key to adding some strengthening.

Just lying there is depressing, but some gentle movement and deep breathing will also be good for getting some oxygen circulating to your brain.

Keep at it - and be faithful to starting and continuing to build from gentle to a little more challenging.

Try to make yourself get out of bed, even if it is to sit in your den or living room. Be sure and eat some protein, even boiled eggs are simple and very nutritious.

MY STORY SO FAR ~~~~
Found suspicious lump 9/2000
Lumpectomy, then node dissection and port placement
Stage IIB, 8 pos nodes of 18, Grade 3, ER & PR -
Adriamycin 12 weekly, taxotere 4 rounds
36 rads - very little burning
3 mos after rads liver full of tumors, Stage IV Jan 2002, one spot on sternum
Weekly Taxol, Navelbine, Herceptin for 27 rounds to NED!
2003 & 2004 no active disease - 3 weekly Herceptin + Zometa
Jan 2005 two mets to brain - Gamma Knife on Jan 18
All clear until treated cerebellum spot showing activity on Jan 2006 brain MRI & brain PET
Brain surgery on Feb 9, 2006 - no cancer, 100% radiation necrosis - tumor was still dying
Continue as NED while on Herceptin & quarterly Zometa
Fall-2006 - off Zometa - watching one small brain spot (scar?)
2007 - spot/scar in brain stable - finished anticoagulation therapy for clot along my port-a-catheter - 3 angioplasties to unblock vena cava
2008 - Brain and body still NED! Port removed and scans in Dec.
Dec 2008 - stop Herceptin - Vaccine Trial at U of W begun in Oct. of 2011
STILL NED everywhere in Feb 2014 - on wing & prayer
7/14 - Started twice yearly Zometa for my bones
Jan. 2015 checkup still shows NED
2015 Neuropathy in feet - otherwise all OK - still NED.
Same news for 2016 and all of 2017.
Nov of 2017 - had small skin cancer removed from my face. Will have Zometa end of Jan. 2018.
StephN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2012, 12:36 PM   #7
BonnieR

I remember being in bed, in pain and exhausted. Just dragging around the house. I have a neighbor who was never very friendly but we both have dogs. She started coming to the door for dog walks. Every day, whether I wanted to or not (NOT!), she got me out. At first I could only go half a block and back but gradually I built up stamina. So be patient with yourself. Any motion is better than none.
It is great that you are in therapy. That will help so much.
Keep the faith.

Post menopause
May 2007 Core biopsy, Rt breast
ER+, Pr-, HER2 +++, Grade 3
Ki-67: 90%
"suspicious area" left breast
Bilateral mastectomy, (NED on left) May 2007
Sentinel Node Neg
Stage 1, DCIS with microinvasion, 3 mm, mostly removed during the biopsy....
Femara (discontinued 7/07) Resumed 10/07
OncoType score 36 (July 07)
Began THC 7/26/07 (d/c taxol and carboplatin 10/07)
Began Herceptin alone 10/07
Finished Herceptin July /08
D/C Femara 4/10 (joint pain/trigger thumb!)
5/10 mistakenly dx with lung cancer. Middle rt lobe removed!
Aromasin started 5/10
BonnieR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2012, 03:34 PM   #8
valleygirl

Thanks so much for the suggestions!!!! I didn't think about exercising in bed. I have another one, do most people fair better on taxol. I'm just so tried of being sick and the pain from my shoulders. Oh and any good ways to prevent chemo brain? I seem to forget alot of things lately. Do you only have it while getting chemo? Boy I hope so. I'm only 47 and feel 97, plus I've been so overly emotional lately. I cry over things that I wouldn't have before.
valleygirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2012, 05:03 PM   #9
Firework

Hi, im sorry you have lost so much of your health during treatments. I was on Taxol and must have faired better.
Once you are able to get up and move I highly recommend water aerobics. You'll be amazed how soft it is on your joints and muscles. I do that twice a week and I walk at least 5 days a week 10,000 steps.
Best of luck to you, Lorraine
Old 03-27-2012, 05:18 PM   #10
BonnieR

Actually things sound pretty normal! I don't mean to make light but I had many of the same issues as you Fatigue, pain, shoulder issue (it was torn rotator cuff), lethargy, emotional, forgetfulness. Chemo Brain was real and was alarming. I am happy to say that it DOES go away but not instantly. Over time I noticed that it steadily improved. Today I jokingly blame things on chemo brain but it is mostly gone. I also lost weight and can assure you that it came back and then some!
I do not quite understand your regime if you have already had A/C are you next doing Taxol?
Can you post your stats as ur signature so we know where u are at in treatment?
Keep the faith!

Post menopause
May 2007 Core biopsy, Rt breast
ER+, Pr-, HER2 +++, Grade 3
Ki-67: 90%
"suspicious area" left breast
Bilateral mastectomy, (NED on left) May 2007
Sentinel Node Neg
Stage 1, DCIS with microinvasion, 3 mm, mostly removed during the biopsy....
Femara (discontinued 7/07) Resumed 10/07
OncoType score 36 (July 07)
Began THC 7/26/07 (d/c taxol and carboplatin 10/07)
Began Herceptin alone 10/07
Finished Herceptin July /08
D/C Femara 4/10 (joint pain/trigger thumb!)
5/10 mistakenly dx with lung cancer. Middle rt lobe removed!
Aromasin started 5/10
BonnieR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2012, 09:22 PM   #11
Vicki revised

I went back to work with an acute case of chemo brain.

My psychiatrist, with onc approval, rx'ed a low dose of a non stimulant ADD drug to help me focus and remember. She's been treating me for chronic depression for years and noticed the cb. It was a tremendous help--I couldn't have made it one day at work w/out it.

Keep in mind, Going back to work is difficult and an anxiety, esp when it seems everyone in the office wants to talk to you about is your health, your treatments, and share stories of someone they know who had cancer, etc. not realizing you don't want nor need to hear the C word all day long.

3/11: DX: IDC, HER2++, ER/PR neg, stage 4, mets to liver. Primary tumor: grade 3; 11 cm. 2nd smaller tumor: ~2.5cm. Multiple affected nodes, 1 spot on liver. 6 rounds TCH prior to bmx.
7/11: Nothing left except Primary breast tumor now 1.5cm.
8/11: BMX, 17/17 nodes clear. No post-op chemo or radiation indicated. NED!
10/11: NED! Continue Herceptin indef.
2/12: Reoccurence of liver mets; both lobes. Tykerb added to Herceptin.
5/12: Progression of liver mets. Stop Tykerb, start Abraxane & Herceptin weekly.
8/12: Progression in liver and lymph nodes around liver and right kidney. Herceptin not working anymore! Stop Abraxane and Herceptin. Start Tykerb and Xeloda.
10/12: Severe side effects. 3 weeks break from everything.
12/12: It's working! All tumors gone except 2 (from 20+) Continue Tykerb and Xeloda. Brain and spine MRIs clear.
Vicki revised is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2012, 09:38 PM   #12
Vicki revised

There is a free, twice a week exercise class for women who've had mastectomies where I live sponsored by Reach for Recovery. It's mostly stretching and regaining your strength. Maybe there is one in your area through a YMCA or the Reach for Recovery group.

3/11: DX: IDC, HER2++, ER/PR neg, stage 4, mets to liver. Primary tumor: grade 3; 11 cm. 2nd smaller tumor: ~2.5cm. Multiple affected nodes, 1 spot on liver. 6 rounds TCH prior to bmx.
7/11: Nothing left except Primary breast tumor now 1.5cm.
8/11: BMX, 17/17 nodes clear. No post-op chemo or radiation indicated. NED!
10/11: NED! Continue Herceptin indef.
2/12: Reoccurence of liver mets; both lobes. Tykerb added to Herceptin.
5/12: Progression of liver mets. Stop Tykerb, start Abraxane & Herceptin weekly.
8/12: Progression in liver and lymph nodes around liver and right kidney. Herceptin not working anymore! Stop Abraxane and Herceptin. Start Tykerb and Xeloda.
10/12: Severe side effects. 3 weeks break from everything.
12/12: It's working! All tumors gone except 2 (from 20+) Continue Tykerb and Xeloda. Brain and spine MRIs clear.
Vicki revised is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2012, 06:00 AM   #13
schoolteacher

ValleyGirl,

Hope you are feeling better today. I understand about the pain in the shoulders. Both of my shoulders are frozen, and I have to make myself go to physical therapy. I hope that each day gets a little easier. Find a puzzle book or something lite to read and maybe this will help with the chemo brain.

Amelia
schoolteacher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2012, 12:06 PM   #14
Pray

ValleyGirl,

I also had to have PT. She specialized in expander a reconstruction of the breast. There wasn't much exercise for me to do alone. She mostly manipulated my under arm and it made a huge difference. I wonder if anyone else had this type of PT.
Pray is offline   Reply With Quote