HonCode

Go Back   HER2 Support Group Forums > her2group
Register Gallery FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts

Old 07-19-2008, 11:10 PM   #1
kcherub

Question Follow-ups?

Okay, I know this has come up before on various threads, but I would really like a collective "wish list" from you guys on what follow-up I should demand. My ONC. is pretty cool, and will probably give me what I want/need (within reason). Bone scans, MRIs, CTs, CBCs, etc.

I have not had genetic testing yet, so I am also interested in the ovarian consideration.

He does not do blood marker tests, so I have nothing to go on with that. Sooo, based upon your extensive knowledge of what is out there...

What would make you feel the most comfortable?
What would you want?
What would be the most effective?

Thank you, thank you, thank you. I am on a new pain med for my back, so I am quite chatty this late night.

Take care,
ER/PR 90%+ HER2 +
6 TCH started 5/25/2007, ended after #5 due to steroid "reactions" and neuropathy in feet and hands
BUT--#6 CH w/o Taxotere
Begin Herceptin alone 9/28/2007
30 rads completed 12/19/2007
Finish Herceptin 5/9/2008
Stopped Tamoxifen early--HATED it.
Married 17 years
13-year old son
3 embies on ice (from 1999)
GA, USA

Last edited by kcherub; 07-19-2008 at 11:11 PM.. Reason: I forgot something.
kcherub is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2008, 10:32 AM   #2
Mary Jo

Hello,

Well that's kind of a tough one. No easy answer for sure. Especially because we are all so individual in what we need....what we want...and what gives us some sort of peace through this journey.

My doc is also "pretty cool" and bases his practice on that thinking - "individuality" - what is "right" for one woman isn't necessarily "right" for another one. He also seems so have that "sense" when he knows that a "test" is what we need to get through whatever ache or pain is causing us concern.

That being said.......Being a 3 year survivor, I see my onc. every 6 months. Every 6 months he orders a basic blood panel with tests for liver enzymes and function. He does a physical exam - talks to me and I am on my way. That's all I need and all I want. I've been through 2 PET/CT's, 2 abdominal CT's and a bone scan in the past 3 years and the stress of those was WAYYYYYY too much for me. Also, I've been through a PET/CT where a false positive was found and after months of follow up have come to the conclusion that this is why most oncs. don't do routine testing. It is stressful - false postives occur and occur often, hence, the need for more tests to make sure nothing is truly brewing.

So, for me personally, the old saying "symptoms warrant testing" is what I live by. If I have a concern my onc. takes me seriously and follows through with a test and if not we assume I am fine and life goes on.

As I said before though, that's me....that's what I need for a good quality of life.......what's right for you may be entirely different.

Love to you......

Mary Jo
"Be still and know that I am God." Psalm 46:10

Dx. 6/24/05 age 45 Right Breast IDC
ER/PR. Neg., - Her2+++
RB Mast. - 7/28/05 - 4 cm. tumor
Margins clear - 1 microscopic cell 1 sent. node
No Vasucular Invasion
4 DD A/C - 4 DD Taxol & Herceptin
1 full year of Herceptin received every 3 weeks
28 rads
prophylactic Mast. 3/2/06

17 Years NED

<>< Romans 8:28
Mary Jo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2008, 11:37 AM   #3
hutchibk

When I first completed my initial chemo and treatments, my onc wanted to see me every 3 months. He does follow markers (CA15.3 in my case). Once my initial treatments were done, we did CT of the torso and a bone scan just to have a clear base line. Then I started seeing him every three months and he told me that he was going to continue to see me every three months until we had about 7 years under our belt, then he would consider going to 6 months... needless to say, I love my onc.

At just under one year post treatment, my markers started to rise ever so slightly. At the same time I had a minor surgery to replace my implant, and in that surgery a tiny piece of tumor came off of the muscle with some scar tissue. We also found a small hard lymph node under my arm the subsequent clinical exam. We then did PET/CT and brain MRI and found that I had small spots in chest lymph nodes and lungs, and jumped right into treatment.

So, you can see that there are many ways to monitor and they all can speak to the bigger picture, but in my case, my minor surgery was the god-send. Otherwise we would not have known for sure until 2 months later, when my onc planned to do my yearly follow-up scans... we probably still would have been in good shape at that point and not lost any ground, but I am happy we learned it earlier instead of later.

NOV 2012 - 9 yr anniversary
JULY 2012 - 7 yr anniversary stage IV (of 50...)

Nov'03~ dX stage 2B
Dec'03~
Rt side mastectomy, Her2+, ER/PR+, 10 nodes out, one node positive
Jan'04~
Taxotere/Adria/Cytoxan x 6, NED, no Rads, Tamox. 1 year, Arimadex 3 mo., NED 14 mo.
Sept'05~
micro mets lungs/chest nodes/underarm node, Switched to Aromasin, T/C/H x 7, NED 6 months - Herceptin only
Aug'06~
micro mets chest nodes, & bone spot @ C3 neck, Added Taxol to Herceptin
Feb'07~ Genetic testing, BRCA 1&2 neg

Apr'07~
MRI - two 9mm brain mets & 5 punctates, new left chest met, & small increase of bone spot C3 neck, Stopped Aromasin
May'07~
Started Tykerb/Xeloda, no WBR for now
June'07~
MRI - stable brain mets, no new mets, 9mm spots less enhanced, CA15.3 down 45.5 to 9.3 in 10 wks, Ty/Xel working magic!
Aug'07~
MRI - brain mets shrunk half, NO NEW BRAIN METS!!, TMs stable @ 9.2
Oct'07~
PET/CT & MRI show NED
Apr'08~
scans still show NED in the head, small bone spot on right iliac crest (rear pelvic bone)
Sept'08~
MRI shows activity in brain mets, completed 5 fractions/5 consecutive days of IMRT to zap the pesky buggers
Oct'08~
dropped Xeloda, switched to tri-weekly Herceptin in combo with Tykerb, extend to tri-monthly Zometa infusion
Dec'08~
Brain MRI- 4 spots reduced to punctate size, large spot shrunk by 3mm, CT of torso clear/pelvis spot stable
June'09~
new 3-4mm left cerrebellar spot zapped with IMRT targeted rads
Sept'09~
new 6mm & 1 cm spots in pituitary/optic chiasm area. Rx= 25 days of 3D conformal fractionated targeted IMRT to the tumors.
Oct'09~
25 days of low dose 3D conformal fractionated targeted IMRT to the bone mets spot on rt. iliac crest that have been watching for 2 years. Added daily Aromasin back into treatment regimen.
Apr'10~ Brain MRI clear! But, see new small spot on adrenal gland. Change from Aromasin back to Tamoxifen.
June'10~ Tumor markers (CA15.3) dropped from 37 to 23 after one month on Tamoxifen. Continue to monitor adrenal gland spot. Remain on Tykerb/Herceptin/Tamoxifen.
Nov'10~ Radiate positive mediastinal node that was pressing on recurrent laryngeal nerve, causing paralyzed larynx and a funny voice.
Jan'11~ MRI shows possible activity or perhaps just scar tissue/necrotic increase on 3 previously treated brain spots and a pituitary spot. 5 days of IMRT on 4 spots.
Feb'11~ Enrolled in T-DM1 EAP in Denver, first treatment March 25, 2011.
Mar'11~ Finally started T-DM1 EAP in Denver at Rocky Mountain Cancer Center/Rose on Mar. 25... hallelujah.

"I would rather be anecdotally alive than statistically dead."
hutchibk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2008, 11:45 AM   #4
hutchibk

and here's what I have learned as far as scans, labs, etc...

CBC - complete blood count, good idea to monitor regularly, every visit.
CT - best view of organs, soft tissue
MRI - best view and measurement of bone spots
Bone scan - can identify bone activity, but if activity is found, MRI should be done for measurement.
Bone density - you need this once a year to follow your osteopenia and osteoporosis potential
PET - used mostly for dxing suspected metastatic disease in most of the body. It won't shine colon polyps and a few other areas that require specialized testing.

You should also get a yearly colonoscopy. And if you still have a natural intact breast, talk to you onc about mammograms.

NOV 2012 - 9 yr anniversary
JULY 2012 - 7 yr anniversary stage IV (of 50...)

Nov'03~ dX stage 2B
Dec'03~
Rt side mastectomy, Her2+, ER/PR+, 10 nodes out, one node positive
Jan'04~
Taxotere/Adria/Cytoxan x 6, NED, no Rads, Tamox. 1 year, Arimadex 3 mo., NED 14 mo.
Sept'05~
micro mets lungs/chest nodes/underarm node, Switched to Aromasin, T/C/H x 7, NED 6 months - Herceptin only
Aug'06~
micro mets chest nodes, & bone spot @ C3 neck, Added Taxol to Herceptin
Feb'07~ Genetic testing, BRCA 1&2 neg

Apr'07~
MRI - two 9mm brain mets & 5 punctates, new left chest met, & small increase of bone spot C3 neck, Stopped Aromasin
May'07~
Started Tykerb/Xeloda, no WBR for now
June'07~
MRI - stable brain mets, no new mets, 9mm spots less enhanced, CA15.3 down 45.5 to 9.3 in 10 wks, Ty/Xel working magic!
Aug'07~
MRI - brain mets shrunk half, NO NEW BRAIN METS!!, TMs stable @ 9.2
Oct'07~
PET/CT & MRI show NED
Apr'08~
scans still show NED in the head, small bone spot on right iliac crest (rear pelvic bone)
Sept'08~
MRI shows activity in brain mets, completed 5 fractions/5 consecutive days of IMRT to zap the pesky buggers
Oct'08~
dropped Xeloda, switched to tri-weekly Herceptin in combo with Tykerb, extend to tri-monthly Zometa infusion
Dec'08~
Brain MRI- 4 spots reduced to punctate size, large spot shrunk by 3mm, CT of torso clear/pelvis spot stable
June'09~
new 3-4mm left cerrebellar spot zapped with IMRT targeted rads
Sept'09~
new 6mm & 1 cm spots in pituitary/optic chiasm area. Rx= 25 days of 3D conformal fractionated targeted IMRT to the tumors.
Oct'09~
25 days of low dose 3D conformal fractionated targeted IMRT to the bone mets spot on rt. iliac crest that have been watching for 2 years. Added daily Aromasin back into treatment regimen.
Apr'10~ Brain MRI clear! But, see new small spot on adrenal gland. Change from Aromasin back to Tamoxifen.
June'10~ Tumor markers (CA15.3) dropped from 37 to 23 after one month on Tamoxifen. Continue to monitor adrenal gland spot. Remain on Tykerb/Herceptin/Tamoxifen.
Nov'10~ Radiate positive mediastinal node that was pressing on recurrent laryngeal nerve, causing paralyzed larynx and a funny voice.
Jan'11~ MRI shows possible activity or perhaps just scar tissue/necrotic increase on 3 previously treated brain spots and a pituitary spot. 5 days of IMRT on 4 spots.
Feb'11~ Enrolled in T-DM1 EAP in Denver, first treatment March 25, 2011.
Mar'11~ Finally started T-DM1 EAP in Denver at Rocky Mountain Cancer Center/Rose on Mar. 25... hallelujah.

"I would rather be anecdotally alive than statistically dead."
hutchibk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2008, 12:08 PM   #5
Patb

Hi
We are all different and feel comfortable with certain
things. Since I had a lumpectomy, I have Mamos every
six months now. I have had a bone scan because
arimidex causes aches. I just had a full body cat scan
which I think we should all have as a base line to go by.
The scan showed a lung nodule that has to be watched
and the liver, etc. were fine. I have had a brain CT and
MRI. I hate the waiting when I have these tests so I tell
the Dr., I have anxiety issues, please hurry the results,
which they do. Now that I've had these tests, and I
am two years out, I assume they will do CT of lung
every three months and mammos every six and of
course Blood test every time I see oncologist which is
every three months. If I have symptoms, I would ask
for more test. I can only hope I'm doing the correct
thing and just live my life, enjoy, and not give it too much thought each day. I try to live in the Now.
Take care and I'm sure you will get lots of ideas
on this board. Everyone is wonderful.

Diagnosed June, 06, Stage I, Grade3, ER+PR- Her2positive, No Nodes. A/C X 4. Radiation 33 with boost, Herceptin every two weeks until Nov.
07, Arimedex for 5 years. Mugas and Echo and chest xRay. Bone scan of whole Body, and Back of Brain and spine MRI.
CT scan of Lungs every six months
due to two small places. December
2009, bone scan due to bone pain.
Follow up test in 2010.
Patb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2008, 08:07 AM   #6
trailrider

krista

I am on the same followup plan as Marejo. Symptoms are what will determine whether I have scans. I did have a brain MRI a year ago due to severe headaches. Much to my son's surprise I have a normal brain. In my opinion, waiting for routine test results (other than labwork) is not the way I want to live. My markers were never elevated from the beginning. If I did want more intensive followup I know my Oncologist would oblige.
Followup seems to be as diverse as our individual diagnosis. You and I have similar tumor types, however, I am 52 years young and almost 3 years out. Good Luck, Krista, do what feels right for you. Aloha...on my way to Hawaii tomorrow!!!!

10/06 Invasive Ductal CA
ER + Her-2 +
Grade 3 Stage IIa, Neg Nodes
AC X 4, Taxol X 4
Lumpectomy , then Re-excision
Radiation X 33
Herceptin for 6 months, d/c due to
decreased ejection fraction
Tamoxifen 1 year now Femara
trailrider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2008, 06:43 PM   #7
kcherub

Thanks, ladies! I knew I would get some enlightening responses!!!

Take care,
ER/PR 90%+ HER2 +
6 TCH started 5/25/2007, ended after #5 due to steroid "reactions" and neuropathy in feet and hands
BUT--#6 CH w/o Taxotere
Begin Herceptin alone 9/28/2007
30 rads completed 12/19/2007
Finish Herceptin 5/9/2008
Stopped Tamoxifen early--HATED it.
Married 17 years
13-year old son
3 embies on ice (from 1999)
GA, USA

kcherub is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2008, 07:40 PM   #8
Becky

I am almost 4 yrs out and in September it will be my last every 4 months onc visit and I will graduate to every 6 months (which he plans to do for several yrs before I graduate to once a yr). I still see my rads onc every 6 months since I had lumpectomy (on both sides, the left being a very small low grade dcis with NO rads - which everyone on this board knows this makes me more of a wreck than the Her2+ invasive cancer side). I also see my surgeon once a yr and the gyne once a year. Plus my yearly physical with my primary care physician.

When I see my onc, he runs the estradiol level, liver enzymes and blood panel plus the CA 27/29. He also does a breast exam (which all the above docs also do - my primary care also runs my CA 27/29 and the other blood work as well as cholestrol (HDL, LDL, triglycerides).

I don't do other scans. Did a brain MRI as a baseline as well as CT of the abdomen, pelvis and chest and a bone scan. Did these one year out because like many women on the board, I had alot of rib pain at that time and wanted to rule out possible bone or liver mets.

Until I got my ovaries removed, both the onc and gyne ran the CA125 (ovarian cancer marker) as well.

In early Sept, I will be at 4 yrs and feel very comfortable with myself. I feel I am also very attuned to my body and feel well. I do and believe in monthly self breast exams. I have had some false lumps (a cyst on the left and glandular tissue from surgery on the right) but I found my lump myself and I believe it saved me as it could always have been bigger than it was.

I get a mammo once a year now as most surgeons make you get it twice a year until you've passed year 3. I plan to start getting an MRI or a dilon (BSGI - breast specific gamma imaging) at the 6 month and a mammo the second 6 months. Just had clean digital on July 7 so after the new year I will plan my new test.

Peace,

Becky

Found lump via BSE
Diagnosed 8/04 at age 45
1.9cm tumor, ER+PR-, Her2 3+(rt side)
2 micromets to sentinel node
Stage 2A
left 3mm DCIS - low grade ER+PR+Her2 neg
lumpectomies 9/7/04
4DD AC followed by 4 DD taxol
Used Leukine instead of Neulasta
35 rads on right side only
4/05 started Tamoxifen
Started Herceptin 4 months after last Taxol due to
trial results and 2005 ASCO meeting & recommendations
Oophorectomy 8/05
Started Arimidex 9/05
Finished Herceptin (16 months) 9/06
Arimidex Only
Prolia every 6 months for osteopenia

NED 18 years!

Said Christopher Robin to Pooh: "You must remember this: You're braver than you believe and stronger than you seem and smarter than you think"
Becky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2008, 12:04 AM   #9
harrie

Krista, thank you very much for starting this thread. It is a topic I have often wondered myself and discussed with other survivors.

I am BRCA2, so I had my ovaries and tubes removed. My oncologist has me on 6 month exams with him and he does the blood workup which consists of cbc, complete metabolic panel, CA15-3.

The next time I see him I am going to ask him, since I am BRCA2 positive and it increases my risk of pancratic cancer a bit, and my grandfather died of pancreatic cancer, would it not be a good idea to get a PET or CAT scan of my abdominal area?

What do you all think: for stage I, do they ever recommend PET or CAT scans for monitering?

Maryanne

1993: right side DCIS, lumpectomy, rads
1999: left side DCIS, lumpectomy, rads, tamoxifen

2006:
BRCA 2 positive
Stage I, invasive DCIS (6mm x 5mm)
Grade: intermediate
sentinal node biopsy: neg
HER2/neu amplified 4.7
ER+/PR+
TOPO II neg
Oncotype dx 20
Bilat mastectomy with DIEP flap reconstruction
oophorectomy

2007:
6 cycles TCH (taxotere, carboplatin, herceptin)
finished 1 yr herceptin 05/07
Arimidex, stopped after almost 1 yr
Femara
harrie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2008, 04:59 AM   #10
DanaRT

I have asked both of my oncologists if they will follow up with CT and/or PET scans. Both agree only if symptoms warrent. Of course, every ache, pain or twinge send me in to a mini-panic that the cancer has moved or spread. My next mammo will be in October-11 months after dx. This must be protocal for stage 1 breast cancer patients.

Dana

]
Diagnosed - Nov. 2, 2007 at 45
Lumpectomy - Nov. 13, 2007
Tumor 1.2 cm
Stage 1 Grade 3
ER/PR - Her2 +++ (3.8)
Taxotere/Carboplatin/Herceptin- 6 rounds
Neulasta
Radiation 33 treatments - will be done 6/6/08
Herceptin through 12/08
12/07 MUGA 61%, 4/08 MUGA 60%, 7/08 MUGA 64%
three wonderful daughters, a terrific husband,
Life is Good
DanaRT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2008, 09:11 AM   #11
tdonnelly

Hi Krista,
Is your back pain since finishing treatment? I have alot of pain/discomfort in the middle of my back; its hard to stand for long periods of time. I had a bone scan last Dec which was ok. Never had problems with my back until finishing treatments. Not sure what to do?

I see my Rad. dr every 6 months for follow-up. My Onc. every 6 months and Surgeon. I had a full Mammo 4 months ago and in Sept. just a partial Mammo for lumpectomy site. I see Onc on Tuesday not sure what tests/procedures she will suggest. She does not do markers. Since my last Herceptin treatment was very difficult due to Thyroid disease we have to decide what is next course of action if cancer spreads-Herceptin has been too hard on me.

I want as few tests as possible...
Tamara
Invasive Ductal Carcinoma 10/2006 HER2+
tdonnelly is offline   Reply With Quote