HonCode

Go Back   HER2 Support Group Forums > her2group
Register Gallery FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts

Old 07-24-2008, 07:18 AM   #1
Joy

update and query

Hi brave ones, Just wanted to come to you with an tiny update and a question to anyone on Herceptin dm 1. I checked in with blood work yesterday and It looks like my CEA has come down a lot and my CA2729 is stablizing. My AST/ALT have dropped and are stablibizing, but the Alkphos is still high. I have had 2 cycles of the drug and will have the third either next week or the week after (starting to lose my mind with all of the appointments). I have my first CT this morning, so maybe I am pre-testal, I don't know. Does it seem as though the drug is working? I guess I had naive higher hopes for better blood results. The NP reminded me that you have to stop the boat all the way before you can put it in reverse. So I am trying to remain hopeful. I am grateful for the good things in the reports, but just, obviously want some regression of disease.

I am leaving today with Luca to go see my parents in Pagosa Springs, CO and my kids are going to Illinois with their dad for a week to see their grandparents. I have been looking forward to this trip for months and now especially as my dad has been very ill the last 2 months. He seems to be on the mend, but doesn't sound right when I talk to him on the phone. It is the big meeting of the parents and the boyfriend and time for Luca and I to be togther a lot. I'd like to not worry about this dumb disease while I am trying to focus on my parents and enjoy time with the most wonderful man I have ever known. But I keep getting this fear that after all these years time is really running out. Soooo, I guess I could use any encouragement as well as personal experience reminders on this drug.

Otherwise I have been having fun with kids and friends and boyfriend. I went to the first Mile High Music Festival this last weekend with my best friend and Luca and I am happy to say that at 40 we can still hang! It was 100 degrees and no shade and we saw great bands (Steve Winwood, Spoon, Tom Petty, Martin Sexton, Flobots, Rodriego y Gabriella and Dave Mattews) and danced and sang and laughed and ran through a ginormous sprinkler and saw a lot of bad tattoos. My feet and back were a little sore after it all, but I feel fully recovered now. Having times like that is so precious and reminds me of how great life is and how much I want it to continue, but I am feeling that nagging, stupid, unfair uncertainty.

I love you guys and want you to know that the information shared here on the progress being made in cancer treatment is such a lifeline and I am so very thankful for all of you and your wisdom, courage and brains!!!!

dx stage I 2/2000*er/pr+; her- per IHC*lumpectomy*4 rounds A/C*30 rads*tamoxifen*dx stage 4 5/2002*huge mets to liver*tiny mets to lungs*stopped tamoxifen*5/02 taxotere/xeloda*her 2 checked with FiSH-her2+++herceptin *2/03 stopped chemo femara w/herceptin*zolodex*04 switched to aromasin w/herceptin*05 high estrogen tx*11/05taxol/carbo*7/06 stopped chemo; megace/herceptin*9/06navelbine/herceptin*5/07tykerb/xeloda great response*4/08 progression in liver; ooph/ faslodex /herceptin
6/08 began Herceptin DM-1
9/08 progression
Joy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2008, 09:26 AM   #2
chrisy

Pre testal????

Joy, that's a new one! I'll have to add that to my repertoire. And I warned you about the "schedule"!

Ok, so the CANCER markers have dropped and/or stabilized. To me, that would sound like a good indicator since I think you've always said these markers are useful for you. How do you FEEL? other than pre-testal?

Forget about the liver enzymes. Everyone processes this drug differently, and the LFT's are more likely an indicator of the drug clearing than anything to do with the cancer.

You may remember, my LFT's have been elevated significantly since beginning this trial, the one we've been tracking most is AST, but they are all equally out of whack. My AST has been living at between 100 and 150 since February - and is "stable" at that level. All due to the drug.

Although I have to share a possible remedy...
I found a 7 day liver detox juice diet in a juicing book. The key elements are beet juice, "green juice", a green soup (made from celery, zucchini, green beans, parsley and butter), and carrot salad. I tried this for a week or so in April and my AST went as "low" as 97. Then the past few weeks I've been on it very religiously and my AST went from 97 on infusion day to 148 on day 8, 112 on day15, and (TA DA) 76 on day 21.

This time, we added another element, my hubby grabbed my butt and pushed it down while shouting "AST DOWN AST DOWN" - that must have done the trick. I also went WILD and last week made "cream of green" soup! Or maybe it was the weekend of eating nothing but chips, carrot cake and carrot salad at my nieces birthday party.

I'm on a 28 day cycle (because of my bad AST) and so this week I'll try to stick with it and see what happens. If it works again, I'm going to call it my AST-kicking diet!

Anyway, enjoy your scanxiety - and your vacation! It sounds great. Let us know about your scans, I was getting ready to check in with you on that because I figured it was about that time.

Much love
Chris
10/04-3/05 Weekly Taxol/Carboplatin/Herceptin , complete response!
04/05 - 4/07 Herception every 3 wks, Continue NED
04/07 - recurrence to liver - 2 spots, starting tykerb/avastin trial
06/07 8/07 10/07 Scans show stable, continue on Tykerb/Avastin
01/08 Progression in liver
02/08 Begin (TDM1) trial
08/08 NED! It's Working! Continue on TDM1
02/09 Continue NED
02/10 Continue NED. 5/10 9/10 Scans NED 10/10 Scans NED
12/10 Scans not clear....4/11 Scans suggest progression 6/11 progression confirmed in liver
07/11 - 11/11 Herceptin/Xeloda -not working:(
12/11 Begin MM302 Phase I trial - bust:(
03/12 3rd times the charm? AKT trial

5/12 Scan shows reduction! 7/12 More reduction!!!!
8/12 Whoops...progression...trying for Perjeta/Herceptin (plus some more nasty chemo!)
9/12 Start Perjeta/Herceptin, chemo on hold due to infection/wound in leg, added on cycle 2 &3
11/12 Poops! progression in liver, Stop Perjeta/Taxo/Herc
11/12 Navelbine/Herce[ptin - try for a 3 cycles, no go.
2/13 Gemzar/Carbo/Herceptin - no go.
3/13 TACE procedure
chrisy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2008, 10:04 AM   #3
lilyecuadorian

I think is a good news ...so let's celebrate with joy and JOY !!!!
her2+++ and ER+PR+ from32 nodes 4 positives
mastectomy right breast chemo before surgery herceptin/carboplatin/taxotere ,clear and surgery have radiation 20, `& then herceptin and tamoxifen
NED until Aug/07 body only then 'n June 04-06-07 .1 lesion of 1.6 cm on cerebellum ...novalis ,open sugery
5m.m brain met again novalis, 4mm.In the liver. Waiting 2 months now 3 tumors enroll on T-MCC trial start first infusion Nov 5/07 at Dec 17 scan show one tumor despair the 2nd and 3th diminish Doc said great results until March/08 ct scan show progression
03-05-08 start tykerb & xeloda
lilyecuadorian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2008, 05:20 PM   #4
kk1

Joy and Chrisy;

The two of you a too much, you both made me really laugh. I was pre-testal all last week and now I am post-testal and needed a laugh tonight. Thanks!

Joy enjoy your weekend...It really does sound like things are heading in the right direction.
Sept 2004 NED-3 herceptin, zoladex,aromasin
Dec 2006 recurrence in liver
Feb. 2007 liver resection left lobe removed-herceptin, zoladex, switch to Arimidex
NED 16 months added zometa
May 2008 new lesion in liver 15mm Tykerb/Xeloda/Herceptin
July 2008 stable...yeah!
Sept 2008 NED again !!!
Jan 2009 fell off the wagon again spot back in the liver and fell out of menopause.
Feb 2009 RFA and 2nd liver resection to remove spot ---back on the NED wagon again continue Tykerb, Herceptin.
March 2009- oophrectomy added Femara and bi-annual Zometa
May 2009- scans clear but suspect lung nodule
June 2009- Lung VAT wedge resection to remove nodule---fungus ball not cancer!! phew
Aug 2009- NED
Nov 2009-scans again clear YAHOO!
March 2010- scans clear continue Tykerb, Herceptin, Femara, Zometa Q6mo
Nov 2009-Nov 2019 scans clear done every 6 months

Feb 2020 - Fell out of the NED wagon hard! single liver lesions and large infect cyst. 3 weeks in ICU.
March 2021- 5 cycles perjeta, herceptin, navelbine. lesion stable.
June 2021 - 3rd liver resection to remove single liver lesion. Continued perjeta, herceptin.
Nov. 2021- PET scan show 5 hot nodes near liver. 9 cycles Kadcyla
June 2021- PET scan shows progression. nodes size unchanged but even more SUV uptake.

July 2021- start ENHERTU
kk1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2008, 06:37 PM   #5
Joan M

Joy, It sounds like you're heading in the right direction with the trial, which is a good sign. Enjoy your trip with Luca and enjoy your time with your parenta. Joan
Diagnosed stage 2b in July 2003 (2.3 cm, HER2+, ER-/PR-, 7+ nodes). Treated with mastectomy (with immediate DIEP flap reconstruction), AC + T/Herceptin (off label). Cancer advanced to lung in Jan. 2007 (1 cm nodule). Started Herceptin every 3 weeks. Lung wedge resection April 2007. Cancer recurred in lung April 2008. RFA of lung in August 2008. 2nd annual brain MRI in Oct. 2008 discovered 2.6 cm cystic tumor in left frontal lobe. Craniotomy Oct. 2008 (ER-/PR-/HER2-) followed by targeted radiation (IMRT). Coughing up blood Feb. 2009. Thoractomy July 2009 to cut out fungal ball of common soil fungus (aspergillus) that grew in the RFA cavity (most likely inhaled while gardening). No cancer, only fungus. Removal of tiny melanoma from upper left arm, plus sentinel lymph node biopsy in Feb. 2016. Guardant Health liquid biopsy in Feb. 2016 showed mutations in 4 subtypes of TP53. Repeat of Guardant Health biopsy in Jana. 2021 showed 3 TP53 mutations, BRCA1 mutation and CHEK2 mutation. Invitae genetic testing showed negative for all of these. Living with MBC since 2007. Stopped Herceptin Hylecta (injection) treatment in March 2020. Recent 2021 annual CT of chest, abdomen and pelvis and annual brain MRI showed NED. Praying for NED forever!!
Joan M is offline   Reply With Quote