HonCode

Go Back   HER2 Support Group Forums > her2group
Register Gallery FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 09-22-2015, 06:04 AM   #1
Freakzilla

Optimum Treatment After Resection of Brain Met

Hi Everyone,

As some of you know my Girlfriend had a solitary 4cm brain met removed via crainiotomy nearly 4 weeks ago. The tumour was completely removed. Body scans as of 6 weeks ago was completely clear.

As we understood it, the onc was then going to ask for a SRS boost to the area, and then maybe WBRT. Upon seeing the Onc last week this has now changed. They now recommend just WBRT. We are awaiting a referral to see a Rad Onc, but this might take 2 more weeks to speak about the best way forward.

Upon diagnosis the onc also said they would restart Herceptin. This has now changed. They now don't want to restart Herceptin now because Perjeta Is only licenced in the UK to be used with Herceptin and Taxotere in first line treatment of secondary Breast Cancer. Basically is we start Herceptin now, we won't be able to use Perjeta in the future if needed.

We also discussed lapatinib plus capecitabine and they completely dismissed that it crosses the Blood Brain Barrier. We would of had to pay for this privately.

Annoyed is an understatement. Nearly 4 weeks has passed since surgery and nothing has happened.

Is there a timeframe in which a boost or WBRT must be done?

Originally we wanted to have a SRS boost to the area and save WBRT in case it was needed in the future. Now we're completely confused.

Any thoughts advice would be appreciated.

Thanks
Freakzilla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2015, 07:18 AM   #2
toomuch2lose

Re: Optimum Treatment After Resection of Brain Met

Hi there, did they say why the plan changed It does seem strange to me that you have not yet visited the rad onc or started the radiation planning. My understanding is that there is an optimal window (I think within 6 weeks, but I am not sure) to start radiation after surgery. I would be inclined to push to have the appointment right away so that you can discuss the change and whether WBR is really the ideal way forward. I think that the newest school of thought argues for surgery followered by SRS if the number of lesions is small. Sorry to hear you are having these hassles when you are already dealing with such a challenging situation.
toomuch2lose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2015, 03:25 AM   #3
Freakzilla

We've got the appointment to see the Rad Onc on Thursday. Hopefully get everything sorted then.
Old 09-25-2015, 10:17 AM   #4
KeriK

I would push for the SRS over WBRT.
Maybe the onc is thinking there are microscopic tumors in other places in her brain??! Let's pray there is not. But that is the only thing I can think of for why he would want her to do WBRT.
I know in the U.S., they always deny drug coverage the first time, then once they get additional paperwork from Drs office, it gets approved. This just happened to me for my Tykerb recently too.
Or try reaching out to Glaxosmithkline, for compassionate use

Best of luck. She's lucky to have you

Keri
4/11 FEC herc 12 wks
8/11 masectomy 48 lymph nodes removed
9/11 tamoxifen
10/11 radiation thru Dec
11/12 recon!
12/12. It's back. :( mets to liver and lungs
Stopped tamoxifen
1/13 TDM1 expansion trial
4/13 lung mets gone 65% reduction in liver markers in low teens!
12/13 lungs still clear! Liver mets reduction
12/13 opherectomy
1/14. Tumor markers increasing. 30's now
2/14 TMs back in high teens
4/14 increased calcium levels
5/14 Xgeva to kadcyla. Scan showed tiny scar tissue on sternum, not previously ever seen
8/14 NED
12/14 NED!!
4/15. NED. YAY! Dr thinking about stopping kadcyla
7/15 still NED. LAST KADCYLA SCHEDULED FOR 9/3
8/15 left side of tongue and lips went numb, brain MRI revealed 10 lesions all over the brain. :(
8/15. Tumor markers still in high teens ???
8/15. 15 rounds of Whole Brain Radiation
Started an Alzheimer's medicine, Namenda, to help preserve brain cognition.
9/15 started Afinator and Tykerb
10/15. Brain MRI. 7 rumors left, nothing new, nothing growing
12/15. 3 sessions of cyber knife
3/16 MRI stable. Nothing new nothing growing nothing shrinking
5/16. MRI. 4 existing tumors doubled in size and 2 new tumor
Looking into clinical trials
6/16. 6 2 hr sessions of cyber knife
10/16 stable MRI
11/16 back in the body.......lungs liver lymph nodes sternum
11/16 abraxane herceptin xgeva
12/16 lungs clear but now 2 tumor in liver
2/17 Opdivo ibrance Tykerb xgeva
KeriK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2015, 10:54 AM   #5
Freakzilla

Keri, thank you.

Does anyone the optimal time to have Wbrt or Srs boost after resection?
Old 09-25-2015, 11:16 AM   #6
marvass

IT herceptinmight be another option
marvass is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2015, 02:10 PM   #7
agness

I was told SRS 4-6 weeks post resection, to let things heal first. You need to do planning at least a week or so before. I waited until week 7 to start since I had guests visiting at 6 weeks and my kids were back at school by then.

Do you know what her brain lesion was like consistency or vascular-wise?

Like you, I wanted to save WBT for later since it is known to affect cognitive function. That recent study from this year on the Fred Hutch site says multiple SRS is a great way to manage brain mets.

My neuro-onc wanted me back on Herceptin, and suggested using a lumbar puncture to see if the drug was getting in through the BBB. I've done two lumbar punctures now, one week apart, looking for circulating tumor cells or evidence of Leptomeningeal invasion (LMC) but so far all clear. I'm not on any targeted therapies right now.

I'm thinking of delaying my third lumbar puncture for some weeks as it isn't showing anything useful right now. Statistically the odds are high for LMC. Empirically we know that my cancer responded with a PCR to systemic TCHP. Adjuvant Herceptin was hard on my system ultimately, giving me migraines (never had before tx) and causing my limbs to ache day and night, though no evidence of heart damage. I would rather do aggressive monitoring and then jump on it at the first sign of spread with Intrathecal therapy and consecutive systemic therapy to try to knock it out completely.

They just don't know anything and the odds are awful for central nervous system mets but they keep dishing out the same crap and expecting different results -- that's a sign of insanity, right?

[I got 5 LINAC frameless SRS treatments, about 2 weeks later I started shedding from the treated area]

I hope this is helpful.
  • 10/27/15 atypical uptake in right cerebellum - inflammation?
  • 12/1/15 Leptomeningeal dx. Starting IT Herceptin.
  • 1/16 - 16 fractions of tomotherapy to cerebellum, break of IT Herceptin during rads, resume at 100 mg weekly
  • 3/2016 - stable scan
  • 5/2016 stable scan
  • 7/2016 pseudoprogression?
  • 9/2016 more LM, start new chemo protocol and IV therapy treatment with HBOT
  • 11/2016 Cyberknife to temporal lobe, HBOT just prior
  • 12/2016 - lesions starting to show shrinkage
  • 8/2017 - Stable since Dec 2016. Temporal lobe lesion gone.
  • Using TCM, naturopathic oncology, physical therapy, chiro, massage, medical qigong, and energetic healing modalities in tandem. Stops at nothing.
  • Mother of 2 boys - ages 7 and 10 (8/2017) and a lovely partner with lots to live for.

Last edited by agness; 09-28-2015 at 11:01 AM.. Reason: Typos
agness is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2015, 10:01 AM   #8
Freakzilla

Thank You, Big Help as always.
Old 09-28-2015, 12:08 PM   #9
Rolepaul

SRS can be done if there is further progression. Nina had hers done initially and then again 90 days after surgery. I think it is worthwhile to see if IT Herceptin will be available as Marvass indicated. France is starting to perform a few of these. The goal would be to not have WBR do to the side effects.
I agree on same treatments and expecting different results. I broke the mold and so did Marvass. Fight for what is right for your partner.
Rolepaul is offline   Reply With Quote