HonCode

Go Back   HER2 Support Group Forums > Diet and Nutrition
Register Gallery FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Diet and Nutrition By popular demand our nutritional message board. This board will be monitored by a Registered RD who is certified in oncology by the American Dietetic Association

Old 01-17-2011, 02:03 PM   #21
sdstarfish

Re: Mushrooms

I think the link is incorrect. Is this the guy you're talking about?
http://www.ralphmoss.com/html/about.shtml

Lisa
www.pinkkitchen.info
sdstarfish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2011, 11:09 AM   #22
maouno

The link is correct, but you've to read the ralphmoss.newsletter for all the information.
Does any one know if it's good to take propolis from bees? It helped me always against colds, but I read now contradictory reports about bee products and now I don't dare to take it any more. It can even be the reason that I got two times BC. So I lost my defense against infections.
Other side, new case, lumpectomy 8 aug 2008: 1 cm, no nodes. Postmeno. Er+Pr-Her2+++
Oncotest high risk, Muga 51, port placed Dec. 2008, chemo CMF started 18 nov during 6 months , 6 rounds of two treatments. Finished rads April 2009, started Herceptin late: 10 Sept 2009. Muga 63.
Finished herceptin 5 sept 2010.Port taken out 19 oct 2010!!
maouno is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2011, 09:01 PM   #23
sdstarfish

No problem, the name was spelled wrong in your original post, but I figured it out

Guess what? He's going to be at a conference I'm attending in March - 4th Annual Evidence-based Complementary & Alternative Cancer Therapies conference in West Palm Beach, FL. March 3-5, 2011.

Are any of you ladies attending the conference?

Lisa
http://www.pinkkitchen.info
sdstarfish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2011, 11:44 PM   #24
Rich66

Tanya,
Please post any abstracts about negative interactions of chemo with green tea. Most I have found seem to support it.
The mushroom end seems complicated in that some 'shrooms seem to be estrogenic, a problem in ER+ patients.

Mom's treatment history (link)
Rich66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2011, 05:20 AM   #25
Ellie F

I would welcome the info also especially as I have friends in Asia who consume quite a lot of green tea even whilst on chemo. They tell me that their onc's encourage it

Thanks Ellie
Ellie F is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2011, 06:37 AM   #26
maouno

Which shrooms seem to be estrogenic? Is it known?
Other side, new case, lumpectomy 8 aug 2008: 1 cm, no nodes. Postmeno. Er+Pr-Her2+++
Oncotest high risk, Muga 51, port placed Dec. 2008, chemo CMF started 18 nov during 6 months , 6 rounds of two treatments. Finished rads April 2009, started Herceptin late: 10 Sept 2009. Muga 63.
Finished herceptin 5 sept 2010.Port taken out 19 oct 2010!!
maouno is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2011, 12:17 PM   #27
Rich66

After chatting with various proponents, the shroom issue might be complicated by things like what soil the shrooms are grown on.
But things like the below give me pause:

Estrogen-like activity of ethanol extract of Ganoderma lucidum

JournalJournal of Wood Science PublisherSpringer Japan ISSN1435-0211 (Print) 1611-4663 (Online) IssueVolume 55, Number 1 / February, 2009 CategoryOriginal Article DOI10.1007/s10086-008-0992-2 Pages53-59 Subject CollectionBiomedical and Life Sciences SpringerLink DateThursday, October 23, 2008 Add to marked items
Add to shopping cart
Add to saved items
Permissions & Reprints
Recommend this article

PDF (390.0 KB)

Original Article

Estrogen-like activity of ethanol extract of Ganoderma lucidum
Kuniyoshi Shimizu1, Ichiko Miyamoto1, Jie Liu1, Fumiko Konishi2, Shoichiro Kumamoto2 and Ryuichiro Kondo1
(1) Faculty of Agriculture, Kyushu University, 6-10-1 Hakozaki, Higashi-ku, Fukuoka 812-8581, Japan (2) Chlorella Industry Co. Ltd., Fukuoka 833-0056, Japan Received: 21 January 2008 Accepted: 9 July 2008 Published online: 22 October 2008
Abstract The ethanol extract from the fruiting body of Ganoderma lucidum was tested for its estrogen-like activity by using the cell proliferation assay (MCF-7 cells, human breast cancer cells), as well as the estrogen receptor binding assay, and pS2 mRNA expression assay in MCF-7 cells in vitro and uterotrophic assay in vivo. The ethanol extract of G. lucidum showed significant positive effects on the proliferation of MCF-7 cells. This proliferation effect is related to the estrogenic activity of G. lucidum, because this proliferation activity was inhibited by the addition of the antiestrogenic compound ICI 182,780. The ability to bind to human estrogen receptors (hERs) α and β of the ethanol extract of G. lucidum was confirmed by using the coactivator-bacterial alkaline phosphatase system. ER-dependent cell responsibilities were investigated by examining the regulation of gene transcription for pS2 in MCF-7 cells. Our results demonstrated that the pS2 mRNA levels are significantly increased by the ethanol extract of G. lucidum via an estrogen-like manner. Additionally, young rats that received the ethanol extract of G. lucidum (200 mg/kg per day) for 3 days showed a signifi cant increase (growth approximately twofold compared with the control group) in uterine weight after each treatment, which supports the estrogen-like activity of the ethanol extract of G. lucidum in vivo. It was concluded that the ethanol extract of G. lucidum showed estrogen-like activity, which may be useful in regulating hormone levels to treat related diseases such as osteoporosis if safety is fully guaranteed.
Key words Ganoderma lucidum - Estrogenic activity - Menopausal syndrome

Ryuichiro Kondo
Email: ryukondo@agr.kyushu-u.ac.jp
Fulltext Preview (Small, Large)

http://www.springerlink.com/index/P2024U65841543M8.pdf

Old 01-30-2011, 12:00 AM   #28
Jackie07

I was trying to locate follow-up studies that confirmed the above report that was printed in 2008.

Was not able to find any that's related to ethanol extracted from the mushroom. But found several recent articles that asserts the effectiveness of mushrooms in curbing cancer:

Nutr Cancer. 2010 May;62(4):476-83.
Dietary mushroom intake and the risk of breast cancer based on hormone receptor status.

Shin A, Kim J, Lim SY, Kim G, Sung MK, Lee ES, Ro J.
National Cancer Center, Goyang-si, Gyeonggi-do 410-769, Republic of Korea.
Abstract

Although many studies have documented the antitumor activities of mushrooms, the association between mushroom intake and breast cancer, defined by hormone receptor status, has received minimal empirical investigation. This study evaluated the association between mushroom intake and the risk of breast cancer according to hormone receptor status among Korean women.

Mushroom intake and breast cancer risk were examined among 358 breast cancer patients and 360 cancer-free controls. Intake of mushrooms was assessed using a quantitative food frequency questionnaire. Greater mushroom intake was related to lower risk of breast cancers among premenopausal women (odds ratio [OR] = 0.35, 95% confidence interval [CI] = 0.13-0.91 for the highest vs. the lowest quartile intake). The association was stronger for premenopausal women with estrogen receptor (ER)+/progesterone receptor (PR) + tumors (OR = 0.30, 95% CI = 0.11-0.79 for the highest vs. the lowest quartile intake) than those with ER-/PR- tumors. Our results suggest that high consumption of mushrooms might be related to lower risks for breast cancers among premenopausal women; this association may be more robust among women with hormone receptor positive tumors.

PMID: 20432168 [PubMed - indexed for MEDLINE]

Exp Biol Med (Maywood). 2010 Nov 1;235(11):1306-14. Epub 2010 Oct 4.
Commonly consumed and specialty dietary mushrooms reduce cellular proliferation in MCF-7 human breast cancer cells.

Martin KR, Brophy SK.
Nutrition Program, Healthy Lifestyles Research Center, Arizona State University, 6950 East Williams Field Road, Mesa, AZ 85212, USA. keith.r.martin@asu.edu
Abstract

Worldwide, over one million women will be newly diagnosed with breast cancer in the next year. Moreover, breast cancer is the second leading cause of cancer death in the USA. An accumulating body of evidence suggests that consumption of dietary mushrooms can protect against breast cancer. In this study, we tested and compared the ability of five commonly consumed or specialty mushrooms to modulate cell number balance in the cancer process using MCF-7 human breast cancer cells. Hot water extracts (80°C for 2 h) of maitake (MT, Grifola frondosa), crimini (CRIM, Agaricus bisporus), portabella (PORT, Agaricus bisporus), oyster (OYS, Pleurotus ostreatus) and white button (WB, Agaricus bisporus) mushrooms or water alone (5% v/v) were incubated for 24 h with MCF-7 cells. Cellular proliferation determined by bromodeoxyuridine incorporation was significantly (P < 0.05) reduced up to 33% by all mushrooms, with MT and OYS being the most effective. MTT (3-[4,5-dimethylthiazol-2-yl]-2,5-diphenyltetrazolium bromide) reduction, an often used mitochondrion-dependent marker of proliferation, was unchanged although decreased (P > 0.05) by 15% with OYS extract. Lactate dehydrogenase release, as a marker of necrosis, was significantly increased after incubation with MT but not with other test mushrooms. Furthermore, MT extract significantly increased apoptosis, or programmed cell death, as determined by terminal deoxynucleotidyl end labeling method, whereas other test mushrooms displayed trends of ∼15%. The total numbers of cells per flask, determined by hemacytometry, were not different from control cultures. Overall, all test mushrooms significantly suppressed cellular proliferation, with MT further significantly inducing apoptosis and cytotoxicity in human breast cancer cells. This suggests that both common and specialty mushrooms may be chemoprotective against breast cancer.

Int J Oncol. 2010 Dec;37(6):1529-36.
Novel medicinal mushroom blend suppresses growth and invasiveness of human breast cancer cells.

Jiang J, Sliva D.
Cancer Research Laboratory, Methodist Research Institute, Indianapolis, IN 46202, USA.
Abstract

Mushrooms are an integral part of Traditional Chinese Medicine (TCM), and have been used for millennia to prevent or treat a variety of diseases. Currently mushrooms or their extracts are used globally in the form of dietary supplements. In the present study we have evaluated the anticancer effects of the dietary supplement, MycoPhyto® Complex (MC), a novel medicinal mushroom blend which consists of a blend of mushroom mycelia from the species Agaricus blazei, Cordyceps sinensis, Coriolus versicolor, Ganoderma lucidum, Grifola frondosa and Polyporus umbellatus, and β-1,3-glucan isolated from the yeast, Saccharomyces cerevisiae. Here, we show that MC demonstrates cytostatic effects through the inhibition of cell proliferation and cell cycle arrest at the G2/M phase of highly invasive human breast cancer cells MDA-MB-231. DNA-microarray analysis revealed that MC inhibits expression of cell cycle regulatory genes (ANAPC2, ANAPC2, BIRC5, Cyclin B1, Cyclin H, CDC20, CDK2, CKS1B, Cullin 1, E2F1, KPNA2, PKMYT1 and TFDP1). Moreover, MC also suppresses the metastatic behavior of MDA-MB-231 by the inhibition of cell adhesion, cell migration and cell invasion. The potency of MC to inhibit invasiveness of breast cancer cells is linked to the suppression of secretion of the urokinase plasminogen activator (uPA) from MDA-MB-231 cells. In conclusion, the MC dietary supplement could have potential therapeutic value in the treatment of invasive human breast cancer.

PMID: 21042722 [PubMed - in process]

NICU 4.4 LB
Erythema Nodosum 85
Life-long Central Neurocytoma 4x5x6.5 cm 23 hrs 62090 semi-coma 10 d PT OT ST 30 d
3 Infertility tmts 99 > 3 u. fibroids > Pills
CN 3 GKRS 52301
IDC 1.2 cm Her2 +++ ER 5% R. Lmptmy SLNB+1 71703 6 FEC 33 R Tamoxifen
Recc IIB 2.5 cm Bi-L Mast 61407 2/9 nds PET
6 TCH Cellulitis - Lymphedema - compression sleeve & glove
H w x 4 MUGA 51 D, J 49 M
Diastasis recti
Tamoxifen B. scan
Irrtbl bowel 1'09
Colonoscopy 313
BRCA1 V1247I
hptc hemangioma
Vertigo
GI - > yogurt
hysterectomy/oophorectomy 011410
Exemestane 25 mg tab 102912 ~ 101016 stopped due to r. hip/l.thigh pain after long walk
DEXA 1/13
1-2016 lesions in liver largest 9mm & 1.3 cm onco. says not cancer.
3-11 Appendectomy - visually O.K., a lot of puss. Final path result - not cancer.
Start Vitamin D3 and Calcium supplement (600mg x2)
10-10 Stopped Exemestane due to r. hip/l.thigh pain OKed by Onco 11-08-2016
7-23-2018 9 mm groundglass nodule within the right lower lobe with indolent behavior. Due to possible adenocarcinoma, Recommend annual surveilence.
7-10-2019 CT to check lung nodule.
1-10-2020 8mm stable nodule on R Lung, two 6mm new ones on L Lung, a possible lymph node involvement in inter fissule.
"I WANT TO BE AN OUTRAGEOUS OLD WOMAN WHO NEVER GETS CALLED AN OLD LADY. I WANT TO GET SHARP EDGED & EARTH COLORED, TILL I FADE AWAY FROM PURE JOY." Irene from Tampa

Advocacy is a passion .. not a pastime - Joe

Last edited by Jackie07; 01-30-2011 at 12:25 AM..
Jackie07 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2011, 12:23 AM   #29
Jackie07

The most recent report related to ganoderma lucidum:

Oncol Rep. 2011 Jan;25(1):267-72.
A novel polysaccharide from Se-enriched Ganoderma lucidum induces apoptosis of human breast cancer cells.

Shang D, Li Y, Wang C, Wang X, Yu Z, Fu X.
Liaoning Provincial Key Laboratory of Biotechnology and Drug Discovery, College of Life Science, Liaoning Normal University, Dalian, P.R. China. djshang@lnnu.edu.cn
Abstract

The novel polysaccharide SeGLP-2B-1 isolated from Se-enriched Ganoderma lucidum, showed anti-proliferative activity towards several cancer cell lines in vitro. To investigate the antitumor mechanisms, the apoptotic effects of SeGLP-2B-1 in human breast cancer cells were studied, and the mechanism of this action was further elucidated. Cell apoptosis was detected by Annexin V/PI staining. Caspase activity was assayed using a caspase apoptosis detection kit. Western blot analysis was used to evaluate the levels of pro-caspase-3, -8, -9, PARP and cytochrome c expression. The results showed that SeGLP-2B-1 inhibited the growth of MCF-7 cells in a time- and dose-dependent manner. Typical characteristics of apoptosis were observed, including morphological changes, sub-G1 cells and DNA ladder formation. Further analysis showed that SeGLP-2B-1 treatment disrupted the mitochondrial membrane potential followed by an increase in the cytochrome c cytosolic levels. Sequentially, SeGLP-2B-1 increased the activities of caspase-9, -3 and poly (ADP-ribose) polymerase in a time-dependent manner, however, no obvious activation of caspase-8 was observed. Caspase-9 and caspase-3 inhibitor prevented SeGLP-2B-1-induced apoptosis, and the activities of caspases-3, -9 were significantly up-regulated by SeGLP-2B-1. Our studies suggest that SeGLP-2B-1 induces apoptosis via a mitochondria-mediated pathway.

PMID: 21109986 [PubMed - in process]

NICU 4.4 LB
Erythema Nodosum 85
Life-long Central Neurocytoma 4x5x6.5 cm 23 hrs 62090 semi-coma 10 d PT OT ST 30 d
CN 3 GKRS 52301
Diastasis recti
Tamoxifen B. scan
Irrtbl bowel 1'09
Colonoscopy 313
BRCA1 V1247I
hptc hemangioma
Vertigo
GI - > yogurt
Exemestane 25 mg tab 102912 ~ 101016 stopped due to r. hip/l.thigh pain after long walk
DEXA 1/13
3-11 Appendectomy - visually O.K., a lot of puss. Final path result - not cancer.
7-23-2018 9 mm groundglass nodule within the right lower lobe with indolent behavior. Due to possible adenocarcinoma, Recommend annual surveilence.
1-10-2020 8mm stable nodule on R Lung, two 6mm new ones on L Lung, a possible lymph node involvement in inter fissule.
"I WANT TO BE AN OUTRAGEOUS OLD WOMAN WHO NEVER GETS CALLED AN OLD LADY. I WANT TO GET SHARP EDGED & EARTH COLORED, TILL I FADE AWAY FROM PURE JOY." Irene from Tampa

Old 01-30-2011, 12:27 AM   #30
Rich66

Jackie,
The first study ("Dietary mushroom intake...") regards preventative intake. Similar to preventative intake of soy, effects on established BC may be different, even opposite.

In the second ("Commonly consumed and specialty.."), ganoderma lucinderm variety was not assessed.

In the third, ("Novel medicinal mushroom blend..")
Ganoderma Lucinderm is but one component of the potentially beneficial mixture. And it was tested against an ER- cell line.

Of course, they are all cell line studies with inherent limitations.

But if the same mushroom grown in different environments can produce different results, I imagine different varieties(species?) of shrooms might have distinct results.
Damn shrooms...

Old 01-30-2011, 12:35 AM   #31
Rich66

Wow..
We must be typing simultaneously

The last one (" A novel polysaccharide from Se-enriched...)is an isolate from ganoderma lucidum. I take that to mean one component of that variety of shroom.
Sure seems like there might be room for the shroom in treating ER+ breast cancer if the right varieties or components are selected/cultivated.
But it is hardly straightforward at this point.

Old 01-30-2011, 12:38 AM   #32
Jackie07

Here is a study on the 'ethonal extract' that reported opposite result from the 2008 study:

J Agric Food Chem. 2009 Apr 22;57(8):3087-93.
Evaluation of antiproliferative activities and action mechanisms of extracts from two species of Ganoderma on tumor cell lines.

Liu YW, Gao JL, Guan J, Qian ZM, Feng K, Li SP.
Institute of Chinese Medical Sciences, University of Macau, Macao SAR, China.
Abstract

The antiproliferative activities on tumoral cells, namely, human breast cancer (MCF-7 and MDA-MB-231), hepatoma (HepG2) and myeloid leukemia (HL-60), of ethanolic extracts from two species of Ganoderma, G. lucidum and G. sinense, were investigated. Though both extracts had certain antiproliferative activities, their chemical characteristics, including nucleosides, triterpenoids and sterols, were significantly different. Their effects on MDA-MB-231 cells were further studied using apoptotic detection and cell cycle analyses. As a result, both had apoptosis induction through the alternation of mitochondrial transmembrane depolarization, though no triterpenoids were detected in ethanolic extract of G. sinense. Furthermore, the two extracts from G. lucidum and G. sinense could arrest cell cycle at different phases. This study showed that ethanol extracts of both G. lucidum and G. sinense have antitumoral proliferation effect through both apoptosis pathway and cell cycle arrest effect, and some other compounds such as sterols and/or nucleosides may contribute to their activity besides triterpenoids.

PMID: 19368349 [PubMed - indexed for MEDLINE]

NICU 4.4 LB
Erythema Nodosum 85
CN 3 GKRS 52301
Diastasis recti
Tamoxifen B. scan
Irrtbl bowel 1'09
Colonoscopy 313
BRCA1 V1247I
hptc hemangioma
Vertigo
GI - > yogurt
DEXA 1/13

Old 01-30-2011, 12:56 AM   #33
Jackie07

Rich,

You must have been one of the investigators of this study:

Integr Cancer Ther. 2003 Dec;2(4):358-64.
Ganoderma lucidum (Reishi) in cancer treatment.

Sliva D.
Cancer Research Laboratory, Methodist Research Institute, Indianapolis, IN 46202, USA. d-silva@clarian.org
Abstract

The popular edible mushroom Ganoderma lucidum (Reishi) has been widely used for the general promotion of health and longevity in Asian countries. The dried powder of Ganoderma lucidum was popular as a cancer chemotherapy agent in ancient China. The authors recently demonstrated that Ganoderma lucidum inhibits constitutively active transcription factors nuclear factor kappa B (NF-kappaB) and AP-1, which resulted in the inhibition of expression of urokinase-type plasminogen activator (uPA) and its receptor uPAR. Ganoderma lucidum also suppressed cell adhesion and cell migration of highly invasive breast and prostate cancer cells, suggesting its potency to reduce tumor invasiveness. Thus, Ganoderma lucidum clearly demonstrates anticancer activity in experiments with cancer cells and has possible therapeutic potential as a dietary supplement for an alternative therapy for breast and prostate cancer. However, because of the availability of Ganoderma lucidum from different sources, it is advisable to test its biologic activity.

NICU 4.4 LB
Erythema Nodosum 85
CN 3 GKRS 52301
Diastasis recti
Tamoxifen B. scan
Irrtbl bowel 1'09
Colonoscopy 313
BRCA1 V1247I
hptc hemangioma
Vertigo
GI - > yogurt
DEXA 1/13

Old 01-30-2011, 01:15 AM   #34
Rich66

In "Evaluation of antiproliferative activities..", it says:
Quote:
The antiproliferative activities on tumoral cells, namely, human breast cancer (MCF-7 and MDA-MB-231), hepatoma (HepG2) and myeloid leukemia (HL-60), of ethanolic extracts from two species of Ganoderma, G. lucidum and G. sinense, were investigated. Though both extracts had certain antiproliferative activities, their chemical characteristics, including nucleosides, triterpenoids and sterols, were significantly different. Their effects on MDA-MB-231 cells were further studied...
I guess would have to see the net effect on MCF7 or other ER+ BC cell lines. The furher study with 231 cells is with ER- cell line.

The Silva study abstract doesn't specify ER status of the cell line. But I believe Silva was the researcher I contacted who got into the cultivation/environment influence on Ganoderma luciderm effects.

Old 01-30-2011, 04:38 PM   #35
Jackie07

Just refreshed my memory that Dr. Moss received his Ph.D in English... The link below provides some expert 'opinions' regarding his work:

http://www.medhelp.org/posts/Ovarian...hD/show/532635

I'd posted in another thread that everything 'Dr. Moss' announces in his reports is retrievable from PubMed and other databases (such as the CAM (Complementary and Alternative Medicine) site at the NLM (National Library of Medicine)

NICU 4.4 LB
Erythema Nodosum 85
CN 3 GKRS 52301
Diastasis recti
Tamoxifen B. scan
Irrtbl bowel 1'09
Colonoscopy 313
BRCA1 V1247I
hptc hemangioma
Vertigo
GI - > yogurt
DEXA 1/13

Last edited by Jackie07; 01-30-2011 at 05:03 PM..
Old 01-30-2011, 04:53 PM   #36
Jackie07

The 'Disclaimer' of the Moss Report is mentioned at the bottom of the link http://www.medhelp.org/posts/Ovarian...hD/show/532635:

"This Web site does not advocate any particular treatment for cancer. We urge you to always seek competent medical advice for all health problems, especially cancer. Before consulting our site please read our full Disclaimer statement."

-
-
-

NICU 4.4 LB
Erythema Nodosum 85
CN 3 GKRS 52301
Diastasis recti
Tamoxifen B. scan
Irrtbl bowel 1'09
Colonoscopy 313
BRCA1 V1247I
hptc hemangioma
Vertigo
GI - > yogurt
DEXA 1/13

Last edited by Jackie07; 01-30-2011 at 10:35 PM..
Old 08-10-2017, 10:36 PM   #37
Sheridan

I just want to ask if some of you has heard this kind of shroom called cyanescens also know as wavy caps? I was reading some articles about this kind shrooms before engaging my self for the first time. They say that it has a very potent effect on the brain and hallucination. Unlike other shrooms this one is less intense. Psilocybe cyanescens influences the prefontral cortex thats responsible for for differentiating thoughts, consequences of actions, and social control. Magic mushroom are use on reducing the symptoms of obsessive-compulsive disorder and anxiety. It can also help people to quit smoking and alcohol addiction. Some studies also suggest the property of magic shrooms/truffles can be useful for cancer patients. I would really want to hear other insights regarding this kind shroom and could possible be used as an alternative medicine Thanks
Sheridan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2021, 06:04 AM   #38
ElishaHunt

sorry but i don't like mushrooms.
ElishaHunt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2021, 06:11 AM   #39
AlfredoLong

After Googling and trying to make sense of several sources for over an hour, I concluded: fungi are microorganisms that like eating things (thus breaking those things down).
AlfredoLong is offline   Reply With Quote