HonCode

Go Back   HER2 Support Group Forums > her2group
Register Gallery FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts

Old 02-20-2013, 10:19 AM   #1
jml

What do you take when you feel like poop?

Hi Friends~

Cycle 2 of PHT was 6 days ago, which means I'm now in full flourish of SE's. First came the GI issues & the Big D, tongue feels like it's coated in paste, now mouth feels like I took a giant culp of HOT coffee and then took a bite of bubbling cheese pizza, and of course the rash all over my torso that I looks like I'm wearing a textured, pink onesie. And of course the headache & fatigue.
I basically feel awful from the tip of my tongue to the tops of my toe nails.
Trying to stay hydrated & have put myself in isolation from the world and its little bugs. Advil helps a little, but I just want to sleep. I don't want to take an Ambien or an Ativan and Oxy seems like overkill. Benadryl for the itchy rash sometimes makes me more agitated than sleepy.
I wish I could just get knocked out with a frying pan.
But I hold on to the fact that the body is resilient, that this too shall pass, in a few days the SE's will subside & I'll feel human again, but currently I just feel like poo.

Any suggestions?

Thank you my friends~

Keeping the Faith,

Jessica
jml is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2013, 10:59 AM   #2
NEDenise

Re: What do you take when you feel like poop?

Jessica,
I'm so sorry that you feel so bad.
I have absolutely no experience with what you're going through...but you have my sympathy, if that helps at all.

I wonder...
>is there something besides Benedryl they could give you for the rash...something less likely to cause that agitated feeling?

>why don't you want to take ativan? sleep is important, and if you feel as badly as it sounds, it may be the only relief from all the discomfort

I'm hoping and praying that the SEs subside soon, and that those BC cells are feeling even worse than you are!
with love,
Denise
4/12/11-A/C x 4, then T/H x 4, H only,Q3 weeks
8/26/11 finished Taxol!!!
10/7/11 mastectomy/DIEP recon
11/11 radiation x28
1/12/12 1st CANCER-VERSARY!
1/12 Low EF/Herceptin "Holiday" :(
2/12 EF up - Back on Herceptin, heart meds
4/2/1212 surgery to repair separated incision from DIEP recon
6/8/12 Return to work :)
6/17/12 Fall, shatter wrist,surgery to repair/insert plate :(
7/10/12 last Herceptin
7/23/12 Brain Mets %$&#! 3cm and 1cm
8/10/12 Gamma knife surgery, LOTS of steroids;start H/Tykerb
8/23/12 Back to work
12/20/12 Injure back-3 weeks in wheel chair
1/12/13 2nd CANCER-VERSARY!
1/14/13 herniate disk in back - surgery to repair
1/27/13 Radiation necrosis - edema in brain - back on steroids - but not back to work - off balance, poor cordination in right arm
5/3/13 Start Avastin to shrink necrosis
5/10/13 begin weaning steroids
6/18/13 Brain MRI - Avastin seems to be working!
6/20/13 quarterly CT - chest, abdomen, pelvis - All Clear!
7/5/13 finally off steroids!!
7/7/13 joined the ranks of the CHEMO NINJAS I am now Tekuto Ki Ariku cancer assassin!
7/13/13 Symptoms return - back on steroids
7/26/13 Back on Avastin - try again!
8/26/13 Not ready to return to classroom yet :( But I CAN walk without holding onto things! :)
9/9/13 Brain MRI - fingers crossed
“ Life is a grindstone, and whether it grinds you down or polishes you up is for you, and you alone, to decide. ” – Cavett Robert
NEDenise is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2013, 01:32 PM   #3
karen z

Ask your doctor about clonazepam- for both sleep and during the day to take the edge off. It can't hurt to ask (she might suggest something else).

With as bad as you are feeling are you eligible for a medical prescription for something sold legally in other states? Just asking. It would seem like you are a good candidate unless there are complications with that.
karen z is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2013, 02:28 PM   #4
KDR

My dear Jessica,
I had a reaction to an antibiotic and there was nothing that could quell it until I was sent to the dermatologist and got Clobex spray. Please ask about this right away.
Hydrate with water and some Pedialyte, 1 cup for every episode of The Unwanted.
For sleep, I combine 1 mg. Ativan and 1 mg. Klonopin.
Can you do acupuncture?
I'm here if you need to talk.
Warm hugs,
Karen
KDR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2013, 08:12 PM   #5
Joanne S

Hi Jessica, Aww I hate to hear you're suffering with these nasty SEs. I imagine with all you've been through you'd know if you have thrush? Have you tried eating real yogurt (not the processed ones they sell at the grocery store---real yogurt, like Greek yogurt)? Orange juice seemed to help me when I had the mouth paste thingy going on. Yep, atta girl keep the liquids going. You're probably only taking 400mg Advil (Motrin), You might consider taking 600mg or request a Rx for 800 mg Motrin and/or you might try Tylenol if you dont want to take the other meds you mentioned. And be sure take your Advil (Motrin) with a little food so it doesn't upset your stomach. For quite a while I was taking Mortin and Aspirin together and felt it was helping me - until I read up on it and realized they should not be taken together. The rash sounds horrible - hope it's not itchy or buring. Besides looking bad, if it's not bothering you, I would wait it out and let it clear itself up. Maybe try an Aveno bath or a little OTC cortisone cream. Hoping these yucky nasty SEs dimish quickly. Keep us posted. Jessica, You remain in my daily prayers! Huge hugs, Joanne
Attached Images

Feb12,2007...Surg MRM Left & SM Right, reconstruct w/expanders
Mar07-Jun07...Saline Exp
Jun07...Start Tamoxifen
Jun07-Aug07...Rad x 25
Jun07-Oct07...Persistent fevers-unknown origin
Jun07-Nov07...PT for Severe PMPS & Capsular Contracture
Nov07...Surg Capsulectomy, Gel Implants, PMPS pain gone instantly.
Feb08...NED 1st CANCERVERSARY!!!!!
Feb08...2 months post surgery Caps Cont again :(
Mar08...Stop Tamoxifen. Start Arimidex.
Apr08...Sudden high fever, Hosp ICU 10 days, staph infect, emerg surg, implants removed. Outpt IVantibiotics Daily x 6 weeks
Feb11...NED 5th CANCERVERSARY!!!!!
Feb12...NED 6th CANCERVERSARY!!!!!
Aug12...Spotting. Surg=D&C
Sep12...STAGE IV = RARE BC METS TO UTERUS ILC ER+/PR+/HER2-Negative) (Different BC than originally diagnosed = IDC ER+/PR+/HER2+).
Sep12...Stop Arimidex. Start Afinitor & Aromasin.
Jan13...MRI = no progression no reduction
Apr13...Progression. Stop Afinitor & Aromasin.
Apr13...Start Chemo: Taxol & Carboplatin.
Nov13...Scans & Pelvic 95+% Reduction. Nueropathy>Stop chemo start Fareston.
Jan14...PET scan = no progression stable.
May14...Pelvic > Bleeding & cramps. TMs up.
May14...PET scan = uterine progression :(
May14...Stop Fareston. Start Chemo: Xeloda.

Joanne S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2013, 04:10 PM   #6
ElaineM

Wink Re: What do you take when you feel like poop?

I hope you feel better soon.
Have you tried tea tree oil toothpaste or mouthwash for the mouth issues? It is refreshing and anti bacterial.
http://her2support.org/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=48247
Lucky 13 !! I hope so !!!!!!
http://her2support.org/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=52807
14 Year Survivor
http://her2support.org/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=57053
"You never know how strong you are until being strong is the only choice you have." author unknown
Shared by a multiple myeloma survivor.
ElaineM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2013, 05:41 PM   #7
jaykay

Biotene mouthwash, gel and toothpaste. Doesn't burn and is soothing. Magic mouthwash by prescription if you have really bad mouth sores.

For the big D, I wish I had the answer. Imodium was like taking a placebo for me, got a prescription for lomotil, which is better but still not perfect. The BRAT diet gets tired pretty fast, but my nurse told me to eliminate dairy, veggies, fruit until it subsided.

I know you're on a totally different protocol - I'm on TCH, but the taxotere is really evil. My onc ended up reducing the dosage and it did help. Was only miserable for a week instead of 2 :-).

As everyone else has said, sleep is important, don't fight it.

Best

Janis
BRCA 1 and 2 negative
October, 2012: Bi Mast with tissue expanders, port placement
Final Path: IDC 2.8cm, DCIS, 1/4 sentinal nodes positive (@#$%). Stage IIB
Nov 29, 2012: Begin TCH/6x/every 3 wks, H for 1 year/every 3 weeks.
March 14, 2013: Finished chemo
April 9, 2013: Begin radiation 28x
May 22, 2013: Finished rads
June 1st, 2013: Started Aromasin for 5 yrs.
July 15, 2013: Switched to Letrozole (Femara). Probably for the rest of my life
October 16, 2013: Exchange surgery
October 31, 2013: Finished Herceptin
December 5, 2013: Port removed
Glad this year is over!
jaykay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2013, 11:37 AM   #8
KsGal

You just cannot catch a break on this regimen, can you. Ugh! Im so sorry you aren't feeling well.
For the sludge feeling in the mouth, I tried hydrogen peroxide mixed half and half with water as a rinse and spit. It did help some, but nothing took away that burned, raw feeling you are talking about. I used the Ulcerease to kind of numb it up and tried to eat that way.
The only thing I can think of that you can try for sleep off the top of my head is melatonin, as you are not wanting to do the Ativan. Like most things, it works for some and not for others. I started doing some self hypnosis CDs that actually work for me. Maybe you could look into that? I ordered mine on Amazon, and surprisingly they actually do work most of the time. Also, like KDR mentioned, acupuncture might help a lot of your symptoms, if it is something you feel like you could try.
Lots of prayers headed your way....and big cyber hugs. I sure hope you are feeling better soon.
December 2012 was diagnosed with five brain mets, and had whole brain radiation.
Around July 2014 two mets in brain, one a residual spot and one new one growing in size. Received Cyberknife on both areas
Clear/NED
April 2015 remain NED
KsGal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2013, 12:07 PM   #9
Kim in CA

Jessica,

You sure have been through alot. I certainly can relate to what you are going through, as I too am experienceing similar SE's from the Taxotere. In fact, I am going to take a little Taxotere break, and try to let my body recover a bit.

It has been 9 days since my last weekly Taxotere and I'm still not bouncing back yet. I have the awful rash too, but it is only on my face, making me look rather scarey, so the only place I go is to my treatments.

I wish I knew of something that would work for us, but I think it will just take some time . I got my first Perjeta infusion yesterday, and I'm hoping that along with the Herceptin, my liver mets won't progress while I take this little break.

Sending you sympathetic cyber hugs, Your partner in pain.....Kim

PS: I do find that taking melatonin before bedtime does help me sleep better.

5/1997 Hi Dose Chemo w/ Stem cell rescue. Spent 4 weeks in isolation ward. Then 6 weeks radiation.

9/2001 widespread mets to liver. 8 mos Taxotere/Herceptin brought me almost to NED. Stop Taxotere & add Femara .

11/2002 liver resection to remove spot that turned out to be necrosis. Officially NED!

7/2003 Tumor markers rising add Xeloda Disastrous reaction, 8 days hospital, but tumor markers came back to normal!

June -Dec 2004 UW Vaccine Trial.

7/2005 MRI single 11mm brain met
8/2005 Gamma Knife.

Brain MRI @3 months NED!

2006-2011 brain/body still NED

8/04/11 Taking Herceptin break, will monitor with tumor markers.

6/20/12 Tumor markers begin to rise. CA15-3 is 31.3 and Her2 Serum is at 17.1 Decide to repeat in one month.

7/23/12 CA15-3 now 49.3
Her2 Serum 26.8

8/6/12 Back on Herceptin
CA15-3 now 76
Her2 Serum now 49

11/7/12 Add weekly Taxotere for 4 cycles

2/2013 Stopped Taxotere added Perjeta. MRI shows approx. 50% reduction liver mets. CA15-3 still elevated @ 55. Will continue on just Herceptin & Perjeta.

November 2014 Continuing on Herceptin, Perjeta, and
Femara indefinitely. Guess I'm NED again, but watching those tumor markers carefully!

Dec. 2015 PET scan reveals mass in perirectal area of abdomen.biopsy confirms. Still Her2+, but no longer ER+. Bye bye Femara

Jan 2016 Begin Kadcyla

March 2016 PET scan shows tumor now barely visible, still NED everywhere else.
2016/2017 continue Kadcyla

November 2017 brain MRI reveals small focus of T2 hyperintensity with possible 4mm enhancing nodule. Short term follow up MRI suggested. Stay tuned...
Kim in CA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2013, 01:25 AM   #10
SoCalGal

When I was on chemo, I used Ativan during the tough days to sleep thru as much as possible. Not sure why you don't want to take it but I wouldn't be too concerned with dependency, getting thru tx with as little suffering as possible is not a bad thing...there are other antihistamines if Benadryl bugs you. Or you can try oatmeal bathes - many remedies for chicken pox work well for itchy rashes. And theres always the reminder that if you feel this bad, so do the cancer cells! Stay strong. Feel better soon....
‘03 latisimus dorsi flap to remove skin mets. CLEAN MARGINS. Continue single agent Herceptin thru 4/04. NED.
‘04 '05 & 06 tiny recurrences - scar line. surgery to cut out. NED each time.
1/2006 Rads again, to scar line. NED.

3/07 Heartbreaking news - mets! lungs.sternum. Try Tykerb/Xeloda. Tykerb/Carbo/Gemzar. Switch Oncs.
12/07 Herceptin.Tykerb. Markers go stable.
2/8/08 gamma knife 13mm stupid brain met.
3/08 Herceptin/tykerb/avastin/zometa.
3/09 brain NED. Lungs STABLE.
4/09 attack sternum (10 daysPHOTONS.5 days ELECTRONS)
9/09 MARKERS normal!
3/10 PET/CT=manubrium intensely metabolically active but stable. NEDhead.
Wash out 5/10 for tdm1 but 6/10 CT STABLE, PET improving. Markers normal. Brain NED. Resume just Herceptin plus ZOMETA
Dec 2010 Brain NED, lungs/sternum stable. markers normal.
MAR 2011 stop Herceptin/allergy! Go back on Tykerb and switch to Xgeva.
May-Aug 2011 Tykerb Herceptin Xgeva.
Sept 2011 Tykerb, Herceptin, Zometa, Avastin.
April 2012 sketchy drug trial in NYC. 6 weeks later I’m NED!
OCT 2012 PET/CT shows a bunch of freakin’ progression. Back to LA and Herceptin.avastin.zometa.
12/20/12 add in PERJETA!
March 2013 – 5 YEARS POST continue HAPZ
APRIL 2013 - 6 yrs stage 4. "FAILED" PETscan on 4/2/13
May 2013: rePetted - improvement in lungs, left adrenal stable, right 6th rib inactive, (must be PERJETA avastin) sternum and L1 fruckin'worsen. Drop zometa. ADD Xgeva. Doc says get rads consultant for L1 and possible biopsy of L1. I say, no thanks, doc. Lets see what xgeva brings to the table first. It's summer.
June-August 2013HAPX Herceptin Avastin Perjeta xgeva.
Sept - now - on chemo hold for calming tummy we hope. Markers stable for 2 months.
Nov 2013 - Herceptin-Perjeta-Avastin-Xgeva (collageneous colitis, which explains tummy probs, added Entocort)
December '13 BRAIN MRI ned in da head.
Jan 2014: CONTINUING on HAPX…
FEB 2014 PetCT clinical “impression”: 1. newbie nodule - SUV 1.5 right apical nodule, mildly hypermetabolic “suggestive” of worsening neoplastic lesion. 2. moderate worsening of the sternum – SUV 5.6 from 3.8
3. increasing sclerosis & decreasing activity of L1 met “suggests” mild healing. (SUV 9.4 v 12.1 in May ‘13)
4. scattered lung nodules, up to 5mm in size = stable, no increased activity
5. other small scattered sclerotic lesions, one in right iliac and one in thoracic vertebral body similar in appearance to L1 without PET activity and not clearly pathologic
APRIL 2014 - 6 YRS POST GAMMA ZAP, 7 YRS MBC & 18 YEARS FROM ORIGINAL DX!
October 2014: hold avastin, continue HPX
Feb 2015 Cancer you lost. NEDHEAD 7 years post gamma zap miracle, 8 years ST4, +19 yrs original diagnosis.
Continue HPX. Adding back Avastin
Nov 2015 pet/ct is mixed result. L1 SUV is worse. Continue Herceptin/avastin/xgeva. Might revisit Perjeta for L1. Meantime going for rads consult for L1
December 2015 - brain stable. Continue Herceptin, Perjeta, Avastin and xgeva.
Jan 2016: 5 days, 20 grays, Rads to L1 and continue on HAPX. I’m trying to "save" TDM1 for next line. Hope the rads work to quiet L1. Sciatic pain extraordinaire :((
Markers drop post rads.
2/24/16 HAP plus X - markers are down
SCIATIC PAIN DEAL BREAKER.
3/23/16 Laminectomy w/coflex implant L4/5. NO MORE SCIATIC PAIN!!! Healing.
APRIL 2016 - 9 YRS MBC
July 2016 - continue HAP plus Xgeva.
DEC 2016 - PETCT: mets to sternum, lungs, L1 still about the same in size and PET activity. Markers not bad. Not making changes if I don't need to. Herceptin/Perjeta/Avastin/Xgeva
APRIL 2017 10 YEARS MBC
December 2017 - Progression - gonna switch it up
FEB 2018 - Kadcyla 3 cycles ---->progression :(
MAY30th - bronchoscopy, w/foundation1 - her2 enriched
Aug 27, 2018 - start clinical trial ZW25
JAN 2019 - ZW25 seems to be keeping me stable
APRIL 2019 - ONE DOZEN YEARS LIVING METASTATIC
MAY 2019 - progression back on herceptin add xeloda
JUNE 2019 - "6 mos average survival" LMD & CNS new single brain met - one zap during 5 days true beam SBRT to cord met
10/30/19 - stable brain and cord. progression lungs and bones. washing out. applying for ds8201a w nivolumab. hope they take me.
12/27/19 - begin ds8401a w nivolumab. after 2nd cycle nodes melt away. after 3rd cycle chest scan shows Improvement, brain MRI shows improvement, resolved areas & nothing new. switch to plain ENHERTU. after 4th cycle, PETscan shows mostly resolved or improved results. Markers near normal. I'm stunned but grateful.
10/26/20 - June 2021 Tucatinib/xeloda/herceptin - stable ish.
SoCalGal is offline   Reply With Quote