HonCode

Go Back   HER2 Support Group Forums > her2group
Register Gallery FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts

Old 10-15-2009, 10:22 PM   #1
bejuce

Question Should I consider taking Zometa?

I've seen a lot of postings/signatures lately talking about Zometa as part of a treatment plan. I'm about to finish with radiation next week (4 more treatments, woohoo!) and have a visit with my oncologist on Tuesday before my next Herceptin infusion. I'm going to ask her about putting me on Zometa as what I've read so far points to its reduction in recurrence - especially for premenopausal women.

I'm slightly ER+ (5%)/PR- and thinking about adding it to my treatment plan in the future. I've had so many drugs so far and got a near-complete response at surgery but am wondering if Herceptin alone for a year will be enough. I may also go on Tamoxifen, but that is still to be decided.

So, wise women/men of this wonderful board, can you please point me to links of studies talking about Zometa and its added benefits? Or for those of you taking it, what made your doctor/you decide to do it? How often do you take it? Every 6 months? How are the side effects?

Thank you so much!!!

Marcia (bejuce)

Diagnosed on 02/18/09 at 38 with a huge 12x10 cm tumor, after a 6 month delay. Told I was too young and had no risk factors. Found swollen node during breastfeeding.
March-August 09: neo-adjuvant chemo, part of a trial at Stanford (4 DD A/C, 4 Taxotere with daily Tykerb), loading dose of Herceptin
08/12/09 - bye bye boobies (bilateral mastectomy)
08/24/09 - path report shows 100 % success in breast tissue (no cancer there, yay!), 98 % success in lymphatic invasion, and even though 11/13 nodes were still positive, > 95 % of the tumor in them was killed. Hoping for the best!
September-October 09: rads with daily Xeloda
02/25/10 - Cholecystectomy
05/27/10 - Bone scan clear
06/14/10 - CT scan clear, ovarian cyst found
07/27/10 - Done with Herceptin!
02/15/11 - MVA-BN HER-2 vaccine trial
03/15/11 - First CA 15-3: 12.7 and normal, yay!
10/01/11 - Bone scan and CT scan clear, fatty liver found
now on Tamoxifen and Aspirin

bejuce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2009, 05:43 AM   #2
Becky

Re: Should I consider taking Zometa?

Zometa has been shown to reduce mets not only in the bones but in soft tissue as well.

You might also consider the Tamoxifen while still receiving the Herceptin infusions as there is syngergy (even for the few cancer cells that are ER+). You could then decide with your onc whether to consider continuing Tamoxifen after Herceptin is completed.

http://www.cancer.gov/clinicaltrials...ronic-acid0608

Above is the study but if you google zometa and breast cancer there are more.

I get it every 6 months. The first infusion caused me flu like symptoms - even a fever of 101 and bone aches. However, even though you get the next one 6 months later, this did not happen to me. I just was alittle tired but thats it. I actually am getting my 7th or 8th infusion on November 30, right after my onc appointment. Even though I am 5+ yrs out, I still see him every 6 months because I get the infusions every 6 months.

I hope this helps.

Becky

Found lump via BSE
Diagnosed 8/04 at age 45
1.9cm tumor, ER+PR-, Her2 3+(rt side)
2 micromets to sentinel node
Stage 2A
left 3mm DCIS - low grade ER+PR+Her2 neg
lumpectomies 9/7/04
4DD AC followed by 4 DD taxol
Used Leukine instead of Neulasta
35 rads on right side only
4/05 started Tamoxifen
Started Herceptin 4 months after last Taxol due to
trial results and 2005 ASCO meeting & recommendations
Oophorectomy 8/05
Started Arimidex 9/05
Finished Herceptin (16 months) 9/06
Arimidex Only
Prolia every 6 months for osteopenia

NED 18 years!

Said Christopher Robin to Pooh: "You must remember this: You're braver than you believe and stronger than you seem and smarter than you think"

Last edited by Becky; 10-16-2009 at 05:50 AM.. Reason: forgot link
Becky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2009, 08:15 AM   #3
Linda

Marcia:
My doc did not want to give me Zometa, stating that the study had been too small and the risk for kidney damage, etc, didn't make it worth it. Just her opinion -- since many docs are on board with Zometa. Also, I take Boniva already (for osteopenia) and she says that will do the same thing. I'm not sure I agree, but just wanted to pass that on.
By the way, there's a large discussion of this on the Stage 3 thread on Breastcancer.org, where many women weigh in. It may be a bit old by now, but check and read there.
Linda
Linda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2009, 09:20 AM   #4
Shobha

Hi Marica,

I was not very well informed about zometa when I completed my treatment but I did develop osteopenia. So, I was given Evista since it serves both purposes - that is, it prevents bone loss as well as works almost the as same as Tamoxifen for the ER+ status.

Fyi - I too am weakly ER+ (~5%)

shobha
BRCA 1 and 2 - Negative
Jan 2008 - Bilateral mastectomy, prophylactic Rt. side.
Radiation for 5 weeks
Completed my yr of herceptin on 07-14-2008
Brain MRI - 3/2/09 Clean
Shobha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2009, 10:44 AM   #5
bejuce

Thank you for your responses, I love this group!

I met my oncologist yesterday and she said that the jury is still out on the Zometa and that additional results will come out eventually. She said that the trial looked at a small group of women and that other trials are undergoing.

I'll be starting Tamoxifen tomorrow (for 5 years, even though I'm only 5% ER+) and she said that it protects the bones as well. Today is my last rad and I'm looking forward (albeit with some anxiety) to the next phase of my treatment.

Diagnosed on 02/18/09 at 38 with a huge 12x10 cm tumor, after a 6 month delay. Told I was too young and had no risk factors. Found swollen node during breastfeeding.
March-August 09: neo-adjuvant chemo, part of a trial at Stanford (4 DD A/C, 4 Taxotere with daily Tykerb), loading dose of Herceptin
08/12/09 - bye bye boobies (bilateral mastectomy)
08/24/09 - path report shows 100 % success in breast tissue (no cancer there, yay!), 98 % success in lymphatic invasion, and even though 11/13 nodes were still positive, > 95 % of the tumor in them was killed. Hoping for the best!
September-October 09: rads with daily Xeloda
02/25/10 - Cholecystectomy
05/27/10 - Bone scan clear
06/14/10 - CT scan clear, ovarian cyst found
07/27/10 - Done with Herceptin!
02/15/11 - MVA-BN HER-2 vaccine trial
03/15/11 - First CA 15-3: 12.7 and normal, yay!
10/01/11 - Bone scan and CT scan clear, fatty liver found
now on Tamoxifen and Aspirin

bejuce is offline   Reply With Quote