HonCode

Go Back   HER2 Support Group Forums > Diet and Nutrition
Register Gallery FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Diet and Nutrition By popular demand our nutritional message board. This board will be monitored by a Registered RD who is certified in oncology by the American Dietetic Association

Old 07-24-2010, 10:02 AM   #1
vlcarr

Vitamin D Test Results

Below are the results of my test on 06/24/10. It says my ranges are normal but to me they seem low. I don't understand some of this so thought I would post and see what you guys think with more understanding of this issue. I haven't had a chance to talk with my onc about this yet. It's hard to read so I put in red what they say is optimum levels and my results are at the bottom in blue.

[ Reference Range for 25-Hydroxy D Total: ♦ <10 ng/mL (severe deficiency)* ♦ 10-24 ng/mL (mild to moderate deficiency)** ♦ 25-80 ng/mL (optimum levels)*** ♦ >80 ng/mL (toxicity possible)**** ♦ ♦ *Could be associated with osteomalacia or rickets ♦ **May be associated with increased risk of osteoporosis or secondary hyperparathoidism. ♦ ***Optimum levels in the normal population. ♦ ****80 ng/mL is the lowest reported level associated with toxicity in patients without primary hyperparathyroidism who have normal renal function. Most patients with toxicity have levels >150 ng/mL. ♦ Patients with renal failure can have very high 25-OH-VitD levels without any signs of toxicity, as renal conversion to the active hormone 1,25-OH-VitD is impaired or absent. ♦ ♦ These reference ranges represent clinical decision values that apply to males and females of all ages, rather than population-based reference values. Population reference ranges for 25-OH-VitD vary widely depending on ethnic background, age, geographic location of studied populations, and the sampling season. Population-based ranges correlate poorly with serum 25-OH-VitD concentrations that are associated with biologically and clinically relevant vitamin D ♦ effects and are therefore of limited clinical value.] Nutrition25-HYDROXY D2: < 4 25-HYDROXY D3: 29 25-HYDROXY D TOTAL: 29
Grade 3
Sentinel Node Biopsy-speck present in 1 node
Completed 3 month clinical trial of weekly Herceptin and 1000mg Tykerb daily
Tumor no longer present
Right mastectomy and lymph node removal 09/25/09
No cancer present at time of surgery, none in lymph nodes
Start TCH 10/15, every 3 weeks for 4 months followed by radiation
Finished chemo 01/28/10-YEAH!
Herceptin every 3 wks until end of June
Radiation begins 03/01, 6 1/2 weeks
Radiation complete--Yeah!!
Developed lymphedema after radiation
In hospital for 4 days with pneumonia:(
Herceptin done! 06/24/10
Port Removed 07/08/10
Still in PT for lymphedema and mobility issues
DIEP Reconstruction 05/11
I can be changed by what happens to me, but I refuse to be reduced by it~~Maya Angelou
vlcarr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2010, 10:41 AM   #2
AlaskaAngel

Status Quo, Vitamin D Recommendations

"Reference Intakes

Intake reference values for vitamin D and other nutrients are provided in the Dietary Reference Intakes (DRIs) developed by the Food and Nutrition Board (FNB) at the Institute of Medicine of The National Academies (formerly National Academy of Sciences) "

http://ods.od.nih.gov/factsheets/vitamind.asp

"The FNB established an expert committee in 2008 to review the DRIs for vitamin D (and calcium). The current DRIs for this nutrient were established in 1997, and since that time substantial new research has been published to justify a reevaluation of adequate vitamin D intakes for healthy populations. Determinations of DRIs are based on indicators of adequacy or hazard; dose-response curves; health outcomes; life-stage groups; and relations between intakes, biomarkers, and outcomes. For vitamin D, the FNB committee will focus on (1) effects of circulating concentrations of 25(OH)D on health outcomes, (2) effects of vitamin D intakes on circulating 25(OH)D and on health outcomes, and (3) levels of intake associated with adverse effects [21]. The FNB expects to issue its report, updating as appropriate the DRIs for vitamin D and calcium, by May 2010 [22]."

So I then went to the FNB website to see what they said in May, 2010...:

http://www.iom.edu/Activities/Nutrit...tDCalcium.aspx

"Project Timeline
This is a 24 month study. The committee's report is expected to be publicly available October/November 2010. "

So..... until then, the range is what it has been since 1997...

As someone who lives in the northern nothern hemisphere but who bares the skin as much as possible plus supplementing with the recommended 400 IU, my level was in the low 30's. Since the recommended current range allows plenty of room for me to supplement, I'm taking 1,000 IU's a day on days when I don't get much sunshine. I hope to be retested in August to see if I have improved, and how much. My suspicion is that I could be taking even more.

A.A.
IDC 1.9 cm, some DCIS, Stage 1, Grade 3
Lumpectomy, CAFx6 (no blood boosters), IMRT rads, 1 3/4 yr tamoxifen
Rads necrosis
BRCA 1 & 2 negative
Trials: Early detection OVCA; 2004 low-dose testosterone for bc survivors
Diet: Primarily vegetarian organic; metformin (no diabetes), vitamin D3
Exercise: 7 days a week, 1 hr/day
No trastuzumab, no taxane, no AI
NED
AlaskaAngel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2010, 12:17 PM   #3
1rarebird

Re: Vitamin D Test Results

Vicky--You may find it worthwhile to read the recommendations for optimal serum Vitamin D3 levels for different goals as discussed at the NoSurrenderBreastCancer.org site http://www.nosurrenderbreastcancersu...ost?id=4807927 Constantine Kaniklidis recommends for optimal bone health it should be >42 ng/ml; for anti-cancer activity, > 52 ng/ml; and, for relief from amromatase inhibitor therapy side effects, > 66 ng/ml. You have to read through the rationale for these recommendations to see how they were formed. When I read it is seems a person would have to take D3 supplements in increasing amounts and have several blood tests over time to see when the target level is reached. Finding a doctor that will work with you on this is important too.

For me, I am taking 2000 IUs supplement plus the 800 IUs that come with my calcium supplement and my oncologist doesn't have a problem with it. I am expecting my serum vitamin D3 levels to increase from its original 44 ng/ml. closer to the levels for anti-cancer effect. I felt better about this when I read recently that the Canadian health care system is about to change it recommendations for Vitamin D3 supplementation to 2000 IUs.

bird
Male Breast Cancer, DX 5/15/09, IDC, STAGE 1, 1.7 cm, HER2+++, ER+(95%)/PR+(75%), Ki67 40%, grade 3, 0/5 nodes, TX: mastectomy, TCH finished 7/19/10, radiation 6 wks., Tamoxifen on going, bisphosphonate 24 mos.
1rarebird is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2010, 12:59 PM   #4
Becky

The last time I had mine done, it was 46 AND it was the first year my dexa came out in the normal range (of which the Zometa was then stopped). I just had another dexa come out normal too. However, I must be a bad D3 processor because I take and have taken 4000-5000iu per day for over 2 years now having taken 2000iu per day since bc diagnosis. I think this runs in our family. For example, my mother (who had bc) ran at 8 and got the weekly 50,000iu pills that she took for 7 weeks. My cousin had 0 (yes, zero) and hers was done at diagnosis (she went to Cleveland clinic and she was just diagnosed last year so they were probably up on this). She had IV and the 50,000iu pills too.

My oldest daughter who is 24 had her physical last year and her level was also 8. I send her 2000iu pills and tell her to take 2 a day. At first, I had her take 3. I remind her to take them because she lives in Oregon and it can be cloudy and rainy there. I make my 2 daughters who still live at home take 2000-4000 a day too. Who knows, that could be the problem in the family for us and bc. You never know. I need to get mine done again to make sure my level is at least what it was.

Becky

Found lump via BSE
Diagnosed 8/04 at age 45
1.9cm tumor, ER+PR-, Her2 3+(rt side)
2 micromets to sentinel node
Stage 2A
left 3mm DCIS - low grade ER+PR+Her2 neg
lumpectomies 9/7/04
4DD AC followed by 4 DD taxol
Used Leukine instead of Neulasta
35 rads on right side only
4/05 started Tamoxifen
Started Herceptin 4 months after last Taxol due to
trial results and 2005 ASCO meeting & recommendations
Oophorectomy 8/05
Started Arimidex 9/05
Finished Herceptin (16 months) 9/06
Arimidex Only
Prolia every 6 months for osteopenia

NED 18 years!

Said Christopher Robin to Pooh: "You must remember this: You're braver than you believe and stronger than you seem and smarter than you think"
Becky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2010, 02:44 PM   #5
vlcarr

Thanks so much for the information everyone. Becky, I should probably know this but what the heck is dexa?

The nutritionist I met with recommended that I have my doc check this when I asked about taking Vit D. I'm going to contact her and see what her take is on it.

But, sounds like I definitely should be taking some based on the comments.
Grade 3
Tumor no longer present
Herceptin done! 06/24/10
Port Removed 07/08/10
I can be changed by what happens to me, but I refuse to be reduced by it~~Maya Angelou
Old 07-24-2010, 03:33 PM   #6
Rich66

Mom had some prescription D to get levels up and is now maintaining (per OH25 test) at 89 on 5,000 iu/daily. Said to be very good level for cancer patients.

Mom's treatment history (link)
Rich66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2010, 06:40 AM   #7
Becky

Vicky

A dexa is the bone density test to see if you are osteopenic (pre-osteoporesis) or if you have osteoporesis.

Rich - I can take up to that amount too but have not been able to get my levels up beyond 50. I think this could be part of my family's bc problem - perhaps a conversion deficiency. Just to explain that to those who don't know, the D3 that you take in or make in your skin when it is exposed to sunlight is converted in the liver to an intermediate form (another chemical) and then that chemical is converted in the kidneys to the useable form of the vitamin (which at this point is theoretically a hormone). You never know!

My mom's birthday was yesterday and she told me that again she is having low D issues. Her doctor upped her to 1000iu but she said she is also sunning herself 45-60 minutes a day in 15-20 minute stints. I discussed this with her and that she needs bigger supplemental doses like I do. For her, 1000iu is just not enough.

Becky

Found lump via BSE
Diagnosed 8/04 at age 45
1.9cm tumor, ER+PR-, Her2 3+(rt side)
2 micromets to sentinel node
Stage 2A
left 3mm DCIS - low grade ER+PR+Her2 neg
lumpectomies 9/7/04
4DD AC followed by 4 DD taxol
Used Leukine instead of Neulasta
35 rads on right side only
4/05 started Tamoxifen
Started Herceptin 4 months after last Taxol due to
trial results and 2005 ASCO meeting & recommendations
Oophorectomy 8/05
Started Arimidex 9/05
Finished Herceptin (16 months) 9/06
Arimidex Only
Prolia every 6 months for osteopenia

NED 18 years!

Said Christopher Robin to Pooh: "You must remember this: You're braver than you believe and stronger than you seem and smarter than you think"
Becky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2010, 04:55 PM   #8
Lauriesh

Hi Becky,

I was wondering what kind of vitamin D supplements you take? I had low levels in Nov, and took the prescription 50,000 a week until Feb. My level was then in the normal range- I think around 25. I have been just taking 1000/ a day since then. I have also thought that my family has a processing problem, as several of my sisters also have very low levels.

I have just been diagnosed stage 4, with mets to my liver. I think I should start taking more, and will ok it with my onc, but just wondering if there is a certain type or brand that you think is best.

Thanks,

Laurie
Lauriesh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2010, 02:14 AM   #9
R.B.

Becky

The ability of the body of older people to make vitamin D has been shown to drop to 25 % of that of young people.

Pre-Vitamin D is made in the surface of the skin, and slowly absorbed, so washing within 8 hours risks removing some or most of it, depending on how close the washing is to the sun exposure. Soap will certainly remove it, water may. Even surfer dudes and sunbathing Florida residents are often short of D, at a guess for these reasons.

Moisturisers before or after may affect production - we do not know. In fact there is a whole lot we do not know.

If you are taking it as a supplement you have to digest it, and many have impaired digestion.

Lauriesh

There are lots of good suppliers. Some D products come packed in high Omega 6 oils which is not optimal. Vitacost are cheap and efficient, but last time I bought some, theirs was in an Omega six rich oil, although not much. A name of a company was posted that did D in olive oil. I will try and find the details.

Last edited by R.B.; 07-27-2010 at 02:22 AM..
R.B. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2010, 06:47 AM   #10
TanyaRD

I agree, Vicky. You are low-normal range and would probably benefit from at least 2000iu/day D3. I would encourage you to discuss this with you oncologist/dietitian.
TanyaRD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2010, 05:36 PM   #11
Carol.hope

R.B.! Good to see you back. Did you finish your book?

I think it was you who posted those articles from UC San Diego Moores Cancer Center, a year or so ago. They say for combatting cancer, Vit D levels of 90 are good. Mine was 55 at the end of last summer, which I thought was good, but my MD said it could be higher. It was 74 this spring, after I took DDrops by Carlson all winter. I took 4000-6000 i.u./day. A couple drops on food - easy and cheap. Dr. Mercola says to take 5000 i.u. Toxicity is virtually impossible, in spite of an oft-repeated warning from the "old days." You can take 30,000 i.u./day for 6 months straight without toxicity (but start with 2000 or 5000!)

Vit D is good for bones and almost everything, and those cancer docs figured out that cancer's very first step - dissociation - can't start with adequate Vit D levels.

It seems like the new take on Vitamin D is very important! Thanks to RB for posting, back when!

dx June '05 at age 55
Stage 1, 1.5cm
ER+++, PR--, HER2+++
Lumpectomy, A/C, T/H
Herceptin stopped due to low LVEF (35%)
2010: NED, but continuing major chemo brain injury
www.BeyondChemoBrain.com
Carol.hope is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2010, 10:57 PM   #12
vlcarr

My onc put me on 1,000 IUs daily and will re-check in 3 months. Tanya, I saw your post for the first time today. Wish her solution was more in line with yours???? But, if she is going o re-check it, I guess I should not panic over it?
Grade 3
Tumor no longer present
Herceptin done! 06/24/10
Port Removed 07/08/10
Old 08-11-2010, 02:18 AM   #13
R.B.

Hi Carol,

Thanks for the kind words.

Some of the Vit D posts were Teds.

The new book is nearly (hopefully) finished. It encompasses the information in the first book, and takes it a lot further weaving the roles of Omega 3 and 6 in with other aspects of the diet like vitamin D and minerals through the common thread of oxidative stress.

The science in the first book was fine but the editing was poor. The new book is better edited and it has helped that my head is clearer, as the jaw infection I had has largely cleared.
Old 08-11-2010, 09:47 AM   #14
TanyaRD

Vicky,
Don't let it worry you. You are right. It will be checked again. Did she say when she'd recheck it? 6 months might be a good time span for reassessment and adjustment in dose as needed.
TanyaRD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2010, 11:52 AM   #15
StephN

Hi -
Carol mentioned the Carlson's D Drops. I have also discovered those and take every night right after dinner under my tongue. I also then take an evening calcium supp which also has another 200mg of D3.

My next blood work will be taken this Friday, so it will be interesting to see how my D level is this time.

Since I now have some sun damage on my face, I am not getting much sun this summer. Interesting about the washing after sun that R.B. mentions. If I am getting sun while working outside, I usually take a quick shower to clean up, and never thought I was affecting my vitamin D intake by doing that. (Besides the general garden grunge, I want to get the pollens from the air off me.)

MY STORY SO FAR ~~~~
Found suspicious lump 9/2000
Lumpectomy, then node dissection and port placement
Stage IIB, 8 pos nodes of 18, Grade 3, ER & PR -
Adriamycin 12 weekly, taxotere 4 rounds
36 rads - very little burning
3 mos after rads liver full of tumors, Stage IV Jan 2002, one spot on sternum
Weekly Taxol, Navelbine, Herceptin for 27 rounds to NED!
2003 & 2004 no active disease - 3 weekly Herceptin + Zometa
Jan 2005 two mets to brain - Gamma Knife on Jan 18
All clear until treated cerebellum spot showing activity on Jan 2006 brain MRI & brain PET
Brain surgery on Feb 9, 2006 - no cancer, 100% radiation necrosis - tumor was still dying
Continue as NED while on Herceptin & quarterly Zometa
Fall-2006 - off Zometa - watching one small brain spot (scar?)
2007 - spot/scar in brain stable - finished anticoagulation therapy for clot along my port-a-catheter - 3 angioplasties to unblock vena cava
2008 - Brain and body still NED! Port removed and scans in Dec.
Dec 2008 - stop Herceptin - Vaccine Trial at U of W begun in Oct. of 2011
STILL NED everywhere in Feb 2014 - on wing & prayer
7/14 - Started twice yearly Zometa for my bones
Jan. 2015 checkup still shows NED
2015 Neuropathy in feet - otherwise all OK - still NED.
Same news for 2016 and all of 2017.
Nov of 2017 - had small skin cancer removed from my face. Will have Zometa end of Jan. 2018.
StephN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2010, 12:40 PM   #16
Rich66

"Pre-Vitamin D" Wow. Hadn't heard of that.
If so, makes me wonder if there is a topical approach that could enhance Vit D. imagining a sunscreen to prevent damage while enhancing D.

Mom's treatment history (link)
Rich66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2010, 05:05 PM   #17
vlcarr

Tanya,

The nurse said they would re-check in 3 months so I won't worry. Thanks so much for the info.
Grade 3
Tumor no longer present
Herceptin done! 06/24/10
Port Removed 07/08/10
Old 08-20-2010, 03:47 AM   #18
Jackie07

My doctors never mentioned about supplements. I guess living in the sunny Texas they are more concerned about skin cancer than patients not getting Vitamin D.

I do take multivitamin several times a week. The information I read from Wikipedia comforts me since I do eat yorgurt, eggs and other foods that contain both Vitamin D and calcium:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Vitamin-D

NICU 4.4 LB
Erythema Nodosum 85
Life-long Central Neurocytoma 4x5x6.5 cm 23 hrs 62090 semi-coma 10 d PT OT ST 30 d
3 Infertility tmts 99 > 3 u. fibroids > Pills
CN 3 GKRS 52301
IDC 1.2 cm Her2 +++ ER 5% R. Lmptmy SLNB+1 71703 6 FEC 33 R Tamoxifen
Recc IIB 2.5 cm Bi-L Mast 61407 2/9 nds PET
6 TCH Cellulitis - Lymphedema - compression sleeve & glove
H w x 4 MUGA 51 D, J 49 M
Diastasis recti
Tamoxifen B. scan
Irrtbl bowel 1'09
Colonoscopy 313
BRCA1 V1247I
hptc hemangioma
Vertigo
GI - > yogurt
hysterectomy/oophorectomy 011410
Exemestane 25 mg tab 102912 ~ 101016 stopped due to r. hip/l.thigh pain after long walk
DEXA 1/13
1-2016 lesions in liver largest 9mm & 1.3 cm onco. says not cancer.
3-11 Appendectomy - visually O.K., a lot of puss. Final path result - not cancer.
Start Vitamin D3 and Calcium supplement (600mg x2)
10-10 Stopped Exemestane due to r. hip/l.thigh pain OKed by Onco 11-08-2016
7-23-2018 9 mm groundglass nodule within the right lower lobe with indolent behavior. Due to possible adenocarcinoma, Recommend annual surveilence.
7-10-2019 CT to check lung nodule.
1-10-2020 8mm stable nodule on R Lung, two 6mm new ones on L Lung, a possible lymph node involvement in inter fissule.
"I WANT TO BE AN OUTRAGEOUS OLD WOMAN WHO NEVER GETS CALLED AN OLD LADY. I WANT TO GET SHARP EDGED & EARTH COLORED, TILL I FADE AWAY FROM PURE JOY." Irene from Tampa

Advocacy is a passion .. not a pastime - Joe
Jackie07 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2010, 01:22 PM   #19
R.B.

Hi Jackie07 and anybody else interested on Vitamin D.

People can make much more vitamin D than they will ever get in their diet, which suggests we are meant to get much of our vitamin D from exposure to the sun, and if we do not do that the alternative is to supplement. People with darked skins make it less efficiently because their skin blocks UVB better.

I highly recommend the videos on Vitamin D from UCLA in this link

http://her2support.org/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=43711
Old 08-22-2010, 04:49 PM   #20
Jackie07

R.B.

Those are wonderful video clips. Thanks.

Here's a link to the Medlineplus on Vitamin D:

http://www.nlm.nih.gov/medlineplus/d...-vitamind.html

NICU 4.4 LB
Erythema Nodosum 85
Life-long Central Neurocytoma 4x5x6.5 cm 23 hrs 62090 semi-coma 10 d PT OT ST 30 d
3 Infertility tmts 99 > 3 u. fibroids > Pills
CN 3 GKRS 52301
IDC 1.2 cm Her2 +++ ER 5% R. Lmptmy SLNB+1 71703 6 FEC 33 R Tamoxifen
Recc IIB 2.5 cm Bi-L Mast 61407 2/9 nds PET
6 TCH Cellulitis - Lymphedema - compression sleeve & glove
H w x 4 MUGA 51 D, J 49 M
Diastasis recti
Tamoxifen B. scan
Irrtbl bowel 1'09
Colonoscopy 313
BRCA1 V1247I
hptc hemangioma
Vertigo
GI - > yogurt
hysterectomy/oophorectomy 011410
Exemestane 25 mg tab 102912 ~ 101016 stopped due to r. hip/l.thigh pain after long walk
DEXA 1/13
1-2016 lesions in liver largest 9mm & 1.3 cm onco. says not cancer.
3-11 Appendectomy - visually O.K., a lot of puss. Final path result - not cancer.
Start Vitamin D3 and Calcium supplement (600mg x2)
10-10 Stopped Exemestane due to r. hip/l.thigh pain OKed by Onco 11-08-2016
7-23-2018 9 mm groundglass nodule within the right lower lobe with indolent behavior. Due to possible adenocarcinoma, Recommend annual surveilence.
7-10-2019 CT to check lung nodule.
1-10-2020 8mm stable nodule on R Lung, two 6mm new ones on L Lung, a possible lymph node involvement in inter fissule.
"I WANT TO BE AN OUTRAGEOUS OLD WOMAN WHO NEVER GETS CALLED AN OLD LADY. I WANT TO GET SHARP EDGED & EARTH COLORED, TILL I FADE AWAY FROM PURE JOY." Irene from Tampa

Advocacy is a passion .. not a pastime - Joe

Last edited by Jackie07; 08-22-2010 at 04:52 PM..
Jackie07 is offline   Reply With Quote