HonCode

Go Back   HER2 Support Group Forums > her2group
Register Gallery FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts

Old 02-26-2004, 08:34 AM   #1
JoJo

In the older days, we would complete typical treatment, such as chemo & rads, then follow up with routine scans. But after reviewing recent data, they don't perform tumor markers as well as routine scans. Instead, they are encouraged to provide us just physical exams with onc's/np's every 3 or 4 or 6 months, depending on our type of cancer, I guess.

The data show that routine scans don't better our survival rate????... It scares me as to where you guys have been saying that liver / bone mets have been picked up in scans and without any symptoms. That's what I'm confused about.

Tumor markers are less popular in doing follow-ups (I think unless you have mets) nowadays, because they could be misleading and give us falsies.

Now, I'd like to hear what kind of follow-up treatments you have been having up to your mets dx or/and before any mets. Thanks.

Hugs
Old 02-27-2004, 03:11 AM   #2
Lolly

After primary dx and tx, I had a three month follow-up with my oncologist for a clinical exam and blood work, then was scheduled for repeats every six months. Scans were to be annual. I was told by my PC that I could schedule follow-ups as frequently as I felt necessary, with the suggestion that monthly was standard unless I had an immediate health concern. After recurrence I saw my onc. every six weeks with blood work every three months, scans every six months until NED. Since NED I see my onc every three months, blood work every three months, scans annualy. I see my PC as needed for health concerns and annual exams.
I don't know if there is a "standard" or if it's established case-by-case. In some cases it's probably determined somewhat by what the insurance company will cover, and I think they're regulated by each state. For example, I was denied coverage for a PET scan after reaching NED; at that time Medicare didn't cover PET scans and my insurance company follows their lead. Now Medicare does cover PET's, so I could get one if it seems necessary.
Hugs,
Lolly