HonCode

Go Back   HER2 Support Group Forums > her2group
Register Gallery FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts

Old 09-17-2008, 11:47 AM   #1
laurie2007

Looking for info on thrush while on Herceptin

I have been on Navelbine and Herceptin since January as treatment for Stage !V breast cancer with mets in lungs and bones. They took me off Navelbine about five weeks ago but I've continued with weekly Herceptin. Two or three days ago I noticed canker sores in my mouth and the nurse said it was thrush. She gave me a mouth rinse to use four times a day. Has anyone had experience with that? I understand it could be from the low white blood cells but wonder why it happened now when my WBSs are higher without the Navelbine. How long does it last? Does the treatment work well and quickly? Kind of hard to eat. Any feedback would be welcome!
1999 dx invasive cancer along with DCIS. Invasive is small (.4 and .1) but also microscopically multifocal.(several microscopic areas of invasive cancer). Also lymphovascular invasion. After mastectomy, biggest piece of cancer they found was 4mm. In aggregate, about one cm if not slightly more. Chemo not recommended and px was excellent. ER +, HER neg. Tamoxifen 5 years.
11/07, mets in both lungs, bones (not legs or arms), and skin. ER + and FISH test was 2.5 so mutated into HER2N+. . Arimidex 11/07 - 3/08, Navelbine and Herceptin weekly 1/08 - 8/08. Tamoxifen + Herceptin 8/08 - 1/09. Tykerb/Zeloda 3/09- 7/10. Doxil 8/10- 11/10. Clinical trial 12/10 - 4/11. Taxol + Herceptin 6/11 - 8/11. Gemzar 9/11 - current. Intermittent radiation for lesions on skin, hips, chin nerve, sinus bleeding. Watching and waiting and hoping for a miracle.
laurie2007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2008, 02:17 PM   #2
gracie's mom

Hi-I don't know if this will help. I have not had alot of sores (on Taxotere, Carboplatin and Herceptin). My Dr. prescribed a rinse called MD Anderson- my sister, a paharmacist, makes it up and would have to be made up always , anywhere. If I feel a sore coming on I take it last thing at nite-swish and then swallow. So far, luckily my mouth has been better in the am and I have not yet had to do the 4x a day. I do not drink anything after I take it. Hope this helps and I wish you the best. I did also notice to stay away from acidy foods when I start getting one.

I gain strength, courage
and confidence
by every experience in which
I must stop and look fear in the face...
We must do the the things
that we think we cannot do.

Eleanor Roosevelt
gracie's mom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2008, 04:04 PM   #3
madubois63

I believe the mouthwash has different names depending on where your at. We call it "magic mouthwash." It is a wonderful thing. Call your oncs office and ask them to call in a prescription for you ASAP. Avoid pickled anything, hot food/drinks, citrus and spicy foods. Thrush is a yeast infection of the mouth. Eat yogurt and you may want to take acidophiles supplements to get your system back on track.
Adriomycin Cytoxin Taxol
Tamoxifen 4 1/2 yrs
Radiation - 32 x
Metastatic BC lung/liver 10/04
thorocentesis 2x - pleurodesis
Herceptin Taxatiere Carbo
Femera/Lupron
BC NED 4/05
chemo induced Acute Myeloid Leukemia 5/06
Induction/consolidation chemo
bone marrow transplant - 11/3/06
Severe Host vs Graft Disease of liver
BC mets to lung 11/07
Fasoladex Herceptin Zometa Xeloda
GVHD/Iron overload to liver
Avascular Necrosis/morphine pump 10/10
metastatic brain tumor
steriotactic radiosurgery
madubois63 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2008, 06:46 PM   #4
BethC

Thrush is a total drag. I had a terrible yeast infection on my nipples when I was nursing and the only thing that got rid of it (finally) was an oral medicine called Diflucan. I had to take it for a long time to get rid of the yeast, like 2 or 3 weeks. I was so happy it worked. Evidently it is hard to get rid of yeast.

Good luck and I hope you find some relief.
love,
Beth
Er+Pr+Her+++
Carboplatin/Taxotere/Herceptin
10-1-07 -- 1-16-08
Herceptin every 3 weeks until 9/24/08
Lump. and node dissection 2-12-08
BRCA1 and 2 negative
30 rads finished 4-23-08
oophorectomy 5-6-08
Femara started 5/25/08
Zometa for osteoporosis every 6 mo. started 9-24-08

Married 16 years!
3 kids - daughter (10), twin sons (7)
BethC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2008, 07:21 PM   #5
Soccermom2006

There are anti fungal lozenges that will help as they dissolve in your mouth...the name is Clotrimazole..

http://www.drugs.com/pro/clotrimazole-lozenges.html

I used them and was thrilled with the result,

You can take a systemic like Diflucan with it..(all with your Docs approval )

Hugs,marcia
Soccermom2006 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2008, 08:21 PM   #6
grandma2

i had thrush several times not during chemo but years ago when i was on high steroids for lupus. it is truly gross. i was given a rx for diflucan as well as prescription mouthwash that tasted horrible and you had to swish it around and then swallow it. i just could not do that but the thrush did go away.
grandma2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2008, 06:01 AM   #7
flynny

Hi Laurie,

I have had thrush off and on throughout my treatments and now that I finished with Taxol (just last week) I got it again. I take Nystatin (a swish and/or swallow depending upon if it is in your throat hurts too 4x/day). It can definitely affect your taste buds... food doesn't taste great and same with liquids. The other thing that someone else said "magic mouth wash" consists of lidocaine/mylanta/benadryl. It pretty much numbs your entire mouth. This is great for mouth soars, but only for a short period of time. I also purchased an all natural product at the health food store for canker soars. I can't remember the name. Good luck

Jan '07 felt lump (PCP "thought" it was a cyst)
Nov '07 "bloody nipple discharge" (OB-GYN "thought" I had fibrocystic breasts and told me to take 400 IU's of Vitamin E)
Note: Mother was dx w/BC in 2004 (ER/PR+ & HER2+) & mets to brain April 2007 (she passed away June 17, 2008)
2/1/08: Biopsy Dx: DCIS (age 34)
2/22/08: Surgery R-side Mast
2/28/08: 1st Path Rpt Dx: IDC 1.8cm tumor & DCIS 2.1cm
2nd Path Rep DFCI - IDC (0.9cm) & DCIS (2.1cm)
Stage 1b/Gr 3; ER+(5%), PR+(2%), HER-2+++
5/5 nodes NEG; Clear Margins
Chemo: AC 4 rnds (1st one 3/31/08) finished 6/2/08
TH (Taxol/Hercepin) 12 weeks (1st one 6/25/08) finished 9/8/08
Herceptin 9 mos (every 3 weeks) finished 6/8/09
BRCA 1/2 NEG
Bio: Age 39, married to James 1999, 2 boys 12 & 10 yo
flynny is offline   Reply With Quote