HonCode

Go Back   HER2 Support Group Forums > Articles of Interest
Register Gallery FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts

Old 09-29-2007, 05:46 AM   #1
Lani

for RB--don't seem to be able to access this obscure journal..of interest to you!

1: Prostaglandins Leukot Essent Fatty Acids. 2007 Sep 25; [Epub ahead of print]
Potentiation of the anti-tumour effect of docetaxel by conjugated linoleic acids (CLAs) in breast cancer cells in vitro.

Fite A, Goua M, Wahle KW, Schofield AC, Hutcheon AW, Heys SD.
Section of Surgical Oncology, Department of Surgery, University of Aberdeen, Medical School, Foresterhill, Aberdeen, AB25 2ZD, Aberdeen, Scotland, UK.
Response rates of tumours to docetaxel (DOCT) are 45-60% in advanced breast cancer but problems associated with side effects, drug resistance and high costs occur. Conjugated linoleic acids (CLAs) also have anti-tumorigenic activity that elicits similar changes in oncogene expression to DOCT and could augment DOCT efficacy. CLA isomers appear to differ in cytotoxicity toward cancer cells. Effects of two CLA isomers on cytotoxicity of DOCT in breast cancer cells (MCF-7; MDA-MB-231) in vitro were assessed. Cells were incubated up to 72h with 40muM each of LA or CLA isomers (cis-9, trans-10 CLA, or trans-10, cis-12 CLA) or a 50:50 isomer mix, alone or with DOCT (0-64muM); a pilot study determined IC(50) and IC(70) concentrations. Treatments were concurrent (CLA and DOCT together) or sequential (CLA then DOCT). MTT assay determined cell viability. Trans-10, cis-12 CLA was the most effective fatty acid (P<0.001) and increased with treatment time. IC(50) and IC(70) concentrations of DOCT were determined, concurrently or sequentially, with and without fatty acids, in the two cell types. Concurrent treatment with trans-10, cis-12 CLA and DOCT augmented inhibition of cell growth in one or both cell lines (decreased IC(50) and IC(70) in MCF-7; P<0.05 but only IC(50) in MDA-MB-231; P<0.05). CLA mix reduced IC(50) and IC(70) in MDA-MB-231 (P<0.001) but not in MCF-7. Cis-9, trans-11 CLA and LA had no effect. Sequential treatment with CLAs then DOCT reduced IC(50) and IC(70) in MCF-7 but not in MDA-MB-231. The latter had increased IC(50) and IC(70) with LA treatment (P<0.05) and increased IC(70) with cis-9, trans-11 CLA (P<0.05) with sequential but not concurrent treatment. Longer pre-incubation times with trans-10, cis-12 CLA (24-72h) elicited greater reductions in IC(50) and IC(70) in MCF-7 cells. Results show that CLA isomers augment anti-tumour effects of docetaxel in breast cancer cells and suggest possible dual treatment regimens.
PMID: 17900885 [PubMed - as supplied by publisher]
Lani is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2007, 03:00 PM   #2
R.B.

Lani

Thank you very much for taking the trouble to post that.

I have only looked peripherally at the omega six series one pathway.

I have no clue what is happening here, or what the implications are. More reading required.

It is interesting that the CLA have similar activity to the chemo agent. That suggest the agent may work in the fats pathways. One of herceptin's mechanisms is from memory believed to be through the fats pathways and I have seen a suggestion that tamoxifen act through the fats pathways too. More reading required when I have time.

Many thanks
R.B. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2007, 03:01 PM   #3
R.B.

Lani

Thank you very much for taking the trouble to post that.

I have only looked peripherally at the omega six series one pathway.

I have no clue what is happening here, or what the implications are. More reading required.

It is interesting that the CLA have similar activity to the chemo agent. That suggest the agent may work in the fats pathways. One of herceptin's mechanisms is from memory believed to be through the fats pathways and I have seen a suggestion that tamoxifen act through the fats pathways too. More reading required when I have time.

Many thanks
R.B. is offline   Reply With Quote