HonCode

Go Back   HER2 Support Group Forums > her2group
Register Gallery FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts

Old 10-13-2011, 08:29 PM   #1
Catherine

Lifetime's movie Five by Demi Moore

Hi, my friend taped this "movie" for me and we watched it together tonight. My friend lost her mother to BC and my friend is 62 and a 10-year cancer survior. Maybe it was easier for us to enjoy since she is 10 years out and I am 5 years out. Both of us thought it was excellent. Well scripted and well acted and yes emotional. Sponsored by Fordcares and Walgreens. Jennifer Annisten does some of the commericals. Lots of well-know actresses. Lots of very heart touching moments. And very honest and real. They did their research in my opinion. There is another thread that said it was too emotional. So perhaps view with caution. I think it first aired around Oct 13. I hope they show it again. There is some good humor too!

Found my own lump in the shower
April 2006 at the age of 58
Stage IIB, ER- PR- HER2+++ multi focal tumors, largest 2.3cm
Chemo first: AC/Taxol over 16 weeks
Bilateral mastectomy Sep 06
33 rads after the surgery
1 year of Herceptin completed Dec 07
15 years and no recurrence as of April 2021

Last edited by Catherine; 10-13-2011 at 08:30 PM.. Reason: added a sentence
Catherine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2011, 09:02 PM   #2
BonnieR

Re: Lifetime's movie Five by Demi Moore

I watched it too. I believe each episode was directed by one of 5 actresses. I was really moved. It was done honestly and with good humor, too. I am glad to have seen it. But I can understand that it might be difficult for a newcomer.
Keep the faith.

Post menopause
May 2007 Core biopsy, Rt breast
ER+, Pr-, HER2 +++, Grade 3
Ki-67: 90%
"suspicious area" left breast
Bilateral mastectomy, (NED on left) May 2007
Sentinel Node Neg
Stage 1, DCIS with microinvasion, 3 mm, mostly removed during the biopsy....
Femara (discontinued 7/07) Resumed 10/07
OncoType score 36 (July 07)
Began THC 7/26/07 (d/c taxol and carboplatin 10/07)
Began Herceptin alone 10/07
Finished Herceptin July /08
D/C Femara 4/10 (joint pain/trigger thumb!)
5/10 mistakenly dx with lung cancer. Middle rt lobe removed!
Aromasin started 5/10
BonnieR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2011, 10:14 AM   #3
ElaineM

Wink Re: Lifetime's movie Five by Demi Moore

I only saw parts of it in between doing something else, but I agree that It might be difficult for a newcomer facing a possible cancer diagnosis or someone who has not experienced cancer at all. I wonder if the staff of the movie interviewed real cancer patients to get background information for the movie?
I think it is going to repeat on Lifetime on Saturday for those who missed it, but might want to see it. Check your local TV schedule for more information.
I enjoyed the movie "Living Proof" again this year.
http://her2support.org/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=48247
Lucky 13 !! I hope so !!!!!!
http://her2support.org/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=52807
14 Year Survivor
http://her2support.org/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=57053
"You never know how strong you are until being strong is the only choice you have." author unknown
Shared by a multiple myeloma survivor.
ElaineM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2011, 01:28 PM   #4
jml

I've been curious about this movie, but not willing to watch it, so thanks for posting your opinions.
I'm just so leary of the melodrama that is so often depicted in movies about BC & Survivors, and as blasphemous as it is to say, I'm not a big fan of October Pink Ribbon Month either;(
I'm a salty, old 9+yr Stage IV'er and often find that "we" are overlooked - no stories about living WITH cancer for years & years and continuous treatment for years & years and bald time & time again, but still SURVIVING and THRIVING as so many of us here can attest.
Still waiting for that story to be told.
I heard the Stage IV character in the film goes into "remission", which is technically incorrect as the words "remission" don't apply to Stage IVers.
I just get frustrated when the myth about being Stage IV is perpetuated - that we are sick, bald, in a dark room and everyone's sad and depressed.
One lady told me that I must not have the "bad kind" of Stage IV BC because I've been able to stay active and "but you look so healthy, no one would ever know!"
I truly believe that when I was dx'd Stage IV @primary dx 91/2 years ago, if I could have seen my story, I might have approached Survival a little differently.
It isn't until I met the amazing family of friends here that I truly felt like I was home, surrounded & supported by those who really know and understand.
Not every story has a happy ending, but that doesn't mean that the life that was lived wasn't active, vibrant and happy.
Maybe Hollywood needs the drama, but I certainly don't!

Keep the Faith~

Jessica
jml is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2011, 01:59 PM   #5
Kellennea

I thought the five directors did a great job. And I was moved as well. I decided to DVR it because it originally aired on 10/10, which was my 2nd wedding anniversary and I didnt want to spent it crying and emotional... I did that on out 1st year wedding anniversary because I was dx on 10/01/10.

Only being a year out from this whole nigthmare, I was afraid that it would open too many memories and it did. I cried, but I also laughed. I'm glad I watched it.

kelly
11/3/10 -2.5cm tumor removed via lumpectomy, clear margins. sentinal node biopsy - nodes clear!
12/2/10 - port placement
12/2/10 to 3/17/11 - 6 rounds of taxotere, carboplatin & herceptin every 3rd week.
04/20/11 - 6/6/11 - 33 rounds of radiation
4/6/11 to 11/2/11 - 11 additional rounds of herceptin every 3rd week
7/15/11 - port removal
7/5/11 started my 5 year journey on Tamoxifen
9/4/11 -1 yr Chest MRI - CLEAN!!!!
9/5/12 -2 yr Chest MRI - CLEAN!!!!
8/29/12 - Started spotting after being in chemopause 1.5 years. Ultra sound detected 6cm ovary mass & very thick lining. YIKES! Taken off Tamoxifen
9/6/12 - Full abdominal hysterectomy. Pathology report came back clean... thank you baby Jesus!!
9/28/12 - Started Anastrozole
Kellennea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2011, 02:20 PM   #6
ElaineM

Wink Re: Lifetime's movie Five by Demi Moore

Maybe movie producers need to interview real people being treated with stage 4 breast cancer.
http://her2support.org/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=48247
Lucky 13 !! I hope so !!!!!!
http://her2support.org/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=52807
14 Year Survivor
http://her2support.org/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=57053
"You never know how strong you are until being strong is the only choice you have." author unknown
Shared by a multiple myeloma survivor.
ElaineM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2011, 03:45 PM   #7
Debbie L.

Jessica, once again your words resonate with me. I didn't watch this either. Not because I thought it would upset me or make me too emotional -- but because I feared it would be what I expect from Lifetime -- a soap opera/after-school-special type of drama. (in the worst sense of the word "drama").

So I can't say anything about the movie, but did want to say to you, Jessica, that I hear you, as loudly and clearly (while nodding my head, YES) as is possible for someone not in metastatic shoes. I think it's important that you keep saying what you're saying -- the good, the bad and the ugly. One of those, by itself, has much less power. All good, as in Lifetime sugar-coating that tugs at emotions but sidesteps truth, is not the real story (although it's easier to hear). All bad/ugly risks coming across as whining, and that can be too easily dismissed.

You, Jessica, always strike just the right balance in your stories, and I honor you for that, and encourage you to continue writing, perhaps in a larger venue.

Warm regards,
Debbie Laxague
Debbie L. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2011, 06:54 PM   #8
BonnieR

In reflecting about this program, I feel it was as much about how cancer affects the family as it was about cancer itself. The focus was alot on relationships and how people handle, or don't, the diagnosis. The Stage 4 patient, I recall the doctor saying her "remission" was extremely rare. And it was a device, I know, to promote a story line. About losing everything then starting over and second chances and I thought it was well done
Today I saw the film 50/50 and was very touched by it as well. Again, about cancer and relationships.

Post menopause
Sentinel Node Neg
Aromasin started 5/10
Old 10-15-2011, 12:12 PM   #9
AlaskaAngel

Hi All,

I haven't seen the films discussed here and I don't want to derail the discussion about them, so I will start a new thread that discusses another source. (I also don't want the title of this thread to become confused with the materials I know about, by mentioning them. There may be some who are reading this thread who might want to check out the productions I'm thinking of.)

Thanks,

AlaskaAngel
IDC 1.9 cm, some DCIS, Stage 1, Grade 3
Lumpectomy, CAFx6 (no blood boosters), IMRT rads, 1 3/4 yr tamoxifen
Rads necrosis
BRCA 1 & 2 negative
Trials: Early detection OVCA; 2004 low-dose testosterone for bc survivors
Diet: Primarily vegetarian organic; metformin (no diabetes), vitamin D3
Exercise: 7 days a week, 1 hr/day
No trastuzumab, no taxane, no AI
NED
AlaskaAngel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2011, 04:27 AM   #10
chekmark

I watched most of it last night and it touched me in alot of ways. It even showed the scars after a double mastectomy. Looking at that on someone else was an eye opener for me. Did not look so bad. I think you need to be in the right place of your treatment and diagnosis to be able to watch it. I couldn't of watched it a year ago.
DX Sept 30 2010 at the age of 49. Oh crap! 1.5 cm idc, stage 1 grade 3 er/pr+, her2+ no lymph nodes, mastectomy Oct/10. Started 6 rounds of TCH Dec/10 and will continue herceptin until Nov /11 and just started femara.
Stray kitten found my lump while I was playing with it. It is now my pet and my dog is not real happy about that.
Mammo good
last herceptin 11/21/11 YAY
reconstruction 12/09/11
Chapter closed 12/10/11, hopefully, fingers crossed
Bone scan, chest xray, clear
04/27/12 Expander removed, implant put in, ahh sigh of relief, much more comfortable
Sept 30, 2014, 4 years NED
chekmark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2011, 06:20 AM   #11
Sheila

I too watched the special last night, came in late on the first of the five, but got the jest of it at the end when I realized it went first circle.

Jessica...I so agree with you, while this was a slice of 5 lives, it seems no one ever shows the new face of breast cancer, the metastatic face...With the advancements in treatments, we are living longer with this disease. National metastatic breast cancer awareness was Oct 13....its a shame they cant portray those of us who never get out of treatment....those of us who live every week or 2 tethered to the IV line of drugs that keep us alive. I dont think the majority of people realize what that is like, just because we all dont look sick, doesnt mean we arent.

I am greatful, but it would be nice if others really understood all the faces of breast cancer. Maybe then we would find a cure!

Hugs & Blessings
Sheila
Diagnosed at age 49.99999 2/21/2002 via Mammography (Calcifications)
Core Biopsy 2/22/02
L. Mastectomy 2/25/2002
Stage 1, 0.7cm IDC, Node Neg from 19 nodes Her2+++ ER PR Neg
6/2003 Reconstruction W/ Tissue Expander, Silicone Implant
9/2003 Stage IV with Mets to Supraclavicular nodes
9/2003 Began Herceptin every 3 weeks
3/2006 Xeloda 2500mg/Herceptin for recurrence to neck nodes
3/2007 Added back the Xeloda with Herceptin for continued mets to nodes
5/2007 Taken Off Xeloda, no longer working
6/14/07 Taxol/Herceptin/Avastin
3/26 - 5/28/08 Taxol Holiday Whopeeeeeeeee
5/29 2008 Back on Taxol w Herceptin q 2 weeks
4/2009 Progression on Taxol & Paralyzed L Vocal Cord from Nodes Pressing on Nerve
5/2009 Begin Rx with Navelbine/Herceptin
11/09 Progression on Navelbine
Fought for and started Tykerb/Herceptin...nodes are melting!!!!!
2/2010 Back to Avastin/Herceptin
5/2010 Switched to Metronomic Chemo with Herceptin...Cytoxan and Methotrexate
Pericardial Window Surgery to Drain Pericardial Effusion
7/2010 Back to walking a mile a day...YEAH!!!!
9/2010 Nodes are back with a vengence in neck
Qualified for TDM-1 EAP
10/6/10 Begin my miracle drug, TDM-1
Mixed response, shrinking internal nodes, progression skin mets after 3 treatments
12/6/10 Started Halaven (Eribulen) /Herceptin excellent results in 2 treatments
2/2011 I CELEBRATE my 9 YEAR MARK!!!!!!!!!!!!!
7/5/11 begin Gemzar /Herceptin for node progression
2/8/2012 Gemzar stopped, Continue Herceptin
2/20/2012 Begin Tomo Radiation to Neck Nodes
2/21/2012 I CELEBRATE 10 YEARS
5/12/2012 BeganTaxotere/ Herceptin is my next miracle for new node progression
6/28/12 Stopped Taxotere due to pregression, Started Perjeta/Herceptin
Sheila is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2011, 10:53 AM   #12
Catherine

Thank you Jessica, Deebie and Shelia for being open about Your reality vs TV reality. All 3 of you made comments that I appreciated reading. You are the real women and the real warriors. Being theathred to IVS and Meds can not be alot of fun. Thanks for sharing your reality with us. I hope and pray that real advances will bring a cure for you and for any of us who progress to Metastatic stages. I just reread my post from the other night. I probably sounded like I have my head in the sand. I totally get the comments that this was a "Lifetime, fluff-type production." Please excuse me if I sounded trivial or that I thought this was the gospel on BC. The more I reflect on it, it was the Holllywood approach. Perhaps this movie will at least do some good in helping people understand how cancer affects relationships.

Found my own lump in the shower
April 2006 at the age of 58
Stage IIB, ER- PR- HER2+++ multi focal tumors, largest 2.3cm
Chemo first: AC/Taxol over 16 weeks
Bilateral mastectomy Sep 06
33 rads after the surgery
1 year of Herceptin completed Dec 07
15 years and no recurrence as of April 2021
Catherine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2011, 11:47 AM   #13
jml

I'm really enjoying and appreciating hearing everyone's views on this movie, as we all come to it at different points in our treatment, diagnosis & survival.
Thanks for allowing me to be so honest with my opinions - and I don't at all presume to speak for all Stage IV'ers, just this one. And I don't at all take for granted the goodness that comes from "October Pink Ribbon Month" -this disease has touched so many, too many people - and however each chooses to acknowledge, even celebrate the journey is a personal one.
In the first year of my treatment, already Stage IV, I did the Komen walk without anything on my head, except for a few errant patches of hair and a pink jeweled crown. But even then I remember feeling surprised that I didn't see more women like me. Anyway, I've grown much more subdued now that 9 years have passed!

I might attribute my edginess right now to pending scans, in T minus 48 hrs...This will be my first scans since switching to Halaven 9 weeks (3 cycles) ago. It's probably a good weekend to be sequestered home with severe neutropenia & anemia, bc I can feel the anxiety creeping in & this is classically my least "graceful" time.

From what I've read, the film really highlights the relationships of those around "us". That, I definitely understand - my sister is taking the red-eye in, landing @6:30am so that she can be with me for my scans @7:30am. I could not do this without my family and friends who've loved me through every minute, even when I'm at my "least graceful".
And that includes you guys, here.

Keep the Faith~

Jessica
Dx -5/17/02 - 33years old; Stage IV
L IDC w/single liver met
Herceptin + Navelbine x 8 weeks - No response; progress to innumerable,immeasureable liver mets
ISIS 2504 + Herceptin - 6 mos, partial response
Taxol + Herceptin x 13 weeks to NED!
NED for 1 year
9/04 - Single liver lesion recurrence
Taxol + Herceptin - on/off to beat back lesion
12/05 - R Hepatectomy; Liver NED until 2009
3/06- Local recurrence - Left breast, IDC & DCIS, but holding treatment while continue to heal from Hepatectomy.
12/06 - L mastectomy + reconstruction through 8/07
10/07 - Recurrence - supraclav nodes
Gemzar + Herceptin - on/off controlling nodes thru
9/08 - 7wks rads to supraclav nodes
10/08 - Acute Renal Failure - nodes in belly stricturing kidneys. placed permanent ureteral stents
Back on Gemzar + Herceptin, but no longer responding.
05/09 - Tykerb + Xeloda - partial response x 5 mos
10/09 - Xeloda + Herceptin - no response, disease progresses
2/10- Ixempra + Herceptin - partial response x 12 wks.
Discovered single 4 mm brain lesion & liver lesions growing while screening for TDM1 + PI3Kinase study.
6/10 - Novalis to treat brain met - SUCCESSFUL!
6/10 - Chemo-embo w/Adriamyacin to de-bulk liver lesion.
8/10 - Screened & Started TDM1 EAP
Immediate response, disease in belly responds dramatically.
2/11- questionable progression of lung nodules
Discontinue TDM1
3/11 - PI3Kinase + Herceptin - intial good response in 1st 6 weeks but LFT's elevated.
7/11-Discontinue PI3Kinase + Herceptin study due to elevated LFT's
Discover progression of 2 small lesions in colon.
8/11 - started Halaven + Hercceptin
10/14/2011 -Completed 3 cycles (9 wks)Halaven+Herceptin
*10/18/2011 - Scanxiety time -1st scans since starting this regimen
jml is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2011, 06:19 PM   #14
CourtneyL

Just wanted to share that this movie is available free online at hulu.com saw it last night.

Jan 09-April 09: Brain mets. Add Tykerb. Watch and wait.
April 09: Gamma Knife 10 brain mets, add Xeloda.
Sept 09: Gamma Knife to 1 brain met.
Nov 09- April 10: Lung progression, add Gemzar to Herceptin, Zometa.
May 10- Sept 10: HER2 Vaccine Trial

Sept 10: Add Tykerb for more brain mets.
Oct 10: Gamma Knife to 7 brain mets.
Dec 10: Switch from Zometa to Denosumab.
Jan 11: Gamma Knife to 3 brain mets.
March 11: Gemzar/Herceptin for lung/bone progression.
April 11: More brain mets - Intrathecal Herceptin
June 11: Ixempra/Herceptin for lung, soft tissue progression.
Aug 11: Gamma Knife
Sep 11: Abraxane/Herceptin
Future: NED

Send me a PM if you'd like to follow my journey on Caringbridge.
CourtneyL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2011, 06:06 PM   #15
Bill

(Bill butts in) Catherine, in my little opinion, you don't have anything to apologize about. You were just giving an opinion about the movies. And as for you, Jessica, you didn't really come across as "edgy". Please accept my good thoughts and prayers for good results on your scans. And , Debbie L., you still have one of the top 3 Avatar pix, in my book.
Old 10-17-2011, 06:13 PM   #16
BonnieR

Hey, Bill! What am I , chopped liver? As they say. Who says that, anyway, and what does it mean?
Anyhow, I loved seeing you showing up and butting it. You are always a breath of fresh air!
Keep the faith.

Post menopause
Sentinel Node Neg
Aromasin started 5/10
Old 10-19-2011, 06:53 PM   #17
Bill

Hi Bonnie! Sorry about that, I wasn't trying to be rude. I just messed up.....again. Love ya!
Old 10-19-2011, 07:24 PM   #18
BonnieR

Bill, I hope you know I was kidding. I love you and miss you around here. How are things?
Keep the faith.

Post menopause
Sentinel Node Neg
Aromasin started 5/10
Old 10-20-2011, 10:10 AM   #19
KDR

All, I saw "Five" and loved it. I don't think there is any way anyone can portray the actual experience unless they are the fighter/s, but I think the directors did a good job, coming close to the experience on many occasions. I particularly loved the theme: that breast cancer made such an impact on the little girl that she became an oncologist.
Karen
Diagnosed: June 2010, liver mets. ER-/PR+10%; HER2+++.
July 2010: Begin Taxol/Herceptin. Eliminate sugar from diet. No surgery or radiation.
January 2011: NED
April 2011: Progression in liver only. Other previous affected areas eradicated. Stop Taxol/Herceptin after 32 infusions.
May 2011: Brain MRI: clear.
May 2011: Begin Tykerb daily, Xeloda twice per day for one week on, one week off, and Herceptin.
November 2011: Progression in liver. All other tumors remain eradicated.
December 2011: BEGIN TRIAL #09-093 Taxol, MCC-DM1 (T-DM1), Perjeta.
Trial requires scans every six weeks, bloodwork and infusions weekly.
Brain MRI: clear.
January 2012: NED. Liver mets, good riddance!
March 2012: NED. Developed SMA (rare blood clot) in intestinal artery and loss of sight in right eye due to optical nerve neuropathy. Resolved when Taxol removed this month.
Continue Protocol of T-DM1 weekly and Perjeta every 3 weeks.
May 2012: NED.
June 2012: Brain MRI: clear.
June-December 2012: NED.
December 2012: TRIAL CONCLUDED; ENTER TRIAL EXTENSION #09-037. CT, Brain MRI, bone scan: clear. NED.
January-March 2013: NED.
June 2013: Brain MRI: clear. CEA upticking; CT shows new met on liver.
July 3, 2013: DISASTER STRIKES during liver ablation: sloppy surgeon cuts intercostal artery and I bleed out, lose 3.5 liters of blood, have major hemothorax, and collapsed lung requiring emergency resuscitative thoracotomy, lung surgery, rib rearrangement and cutting deep connective tissue, transfusion. Ablation incomplete. This life-saving procedure would end up causing me unforgiving pain with every movement I make, permanently, otherwise known as forever.
July 26, 2013: Try Navelbine/Herceptin. Body too weak after surgery and transfusion. Fever. CEA: Normal.
August 16, 2016: second dose Navelbine/Herceptin; CEA: Normal. Will skip doses. Watching and waiting.
September 2013: NED, Herceptin only. CEA: Normal. Started Arimidex.
October-November 2013: NED. Herceptin and Arimidex. CEA, CA125, 15-3: Normal.
December 2013: Something brewing. PET lights up on little spot on liver; CEA upward trend, just outside normal. PET and triphasic liver scan confirm Little Met. Restart Perjeta with Herceptin, stay on Arimidex. Genomic sequencing completed for future treatments, if necessary.
January 2014: Ablate Little Met on the 6th. Happy New Year.
March 2014: Brain MRI: clear. PET/CT reveal liver mets return; new lung mets. This is not funny.
March 2014: BEGIN TRIAL #10-005 A(11)-Temsirolimus plus Neratinib.
April 2014: Genomic testing indicated they could work, they did not. Very strange drug combo for me, felt weird.
April 2014: Started Navelbine and Herceptin. Needed something tried and true, but had significant progression.
June 2014: Doxil and Herceptin.
July 2014: Progression. Got nothing out of it. Brain: NED.
July 2014: Add integrative medical hematologist-oncologist to my team. Begin supplements. These are tumor-busting, immune system boosters. Add glutathione, lysine and taurine IV infusions every three weeks.
July 2014: Begin Gemzar, Herceptin & Perjeta. Happy.
August 2014: ECHO perfect.
January 2015: Begin weekly Vitamin D Analog infusions. 25 mcg. via port.
February 2015: CT: stable.
April 2015: Gem working, but not 100%. Looking into immunotherapy. Finally, treatments for the 21st century!
April 2015: Penn Medicine. Dendritic cell immunotherapy.
KDR is offline   Reply With Quote