HonCode

Go Back   HER2 Support Group Forums > Herceptin / Tykerb
Register Gallery FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts

Herceptin / Tykerb Share your experiences or ask questions about Herceptin or Tykerb

Old 06-30-2007, 10:11 PM   #1
michele u

I'm a Diarrhea Diva!!

I'm having such a hard time with diarrhea and Tykerb i'm only taking it 5 days a week and letting my body rest over the weekend. I feel horrible doing that, but i'm stage 3 taking it for my own piece of mind, and i just can't eat anything while taking it. I've lost 5 pounds already. Tykerb takes my appetitie and my taste away. When i stop it for a day i have a regular stool. I had a bowl of cereal with milk one night and was up allll night with terrible stomach cramps and diarrhea. Will i get used to the Tykerb, or is this something that will not go away?

dx: August 2003 stage 3b 35 pos nodes ER/PR neg Her+
4 AC 12 weekly taxol
one year Herceptin in trial
35 rad tx
vaccine trial Seattle
NED
michele u is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2007, 10:59 PM   #2
hutchibk

Michele - are you taking any supplements with folic acid? It can be found in multivitamins and B-complex... it can make the side effects worse, so don't take it! Also, no grapefruit! I find that eating as clean and healthy as possible really mitigates the diarrhea severity. Also, try a BRAT breakfast everyday... banana, rice, applesauce, toast and tea. It works for me. I only have about 1-2 bad diarrhea days every month so far, and usually when I get lazy dietarily...

NOV 2012 - 9 yr anniversary
JULY 2012 - 7 yr anniversary stage IV (of 50...)

Nov'03~ dX stage 2B
Dec'03~
Rt side mastectomy, Her2+, ER/PR+, 10 nodes out, one node positive
Jan'04~
Taxotere/Adria/Cytoxan x 6, NED, no Rads, Tamox. 1 year, Arimadex 3 mo., NED 14 mo.
Sept'05~
micro mets lungs/chest nodes/underarm node, Switched to Aromasin, T/C/H x 7, NED 6 months - Herceptin only
Aug'06~
micro mets chest nodes, & bone spot @ C3 neck, Added Taxol to Herceptin
Feb'07~ Genetic testing, BRCA 1&2 neg

Apr'07~
MRI - two 9mm brain mets & 5 punctates, new left chest met, & small increase of bone spot C3 neck, Stopped Aromasin
May'07~
Started Tykerb/Xeloda, no WBR for now
June'07~
MRI - stable brain mets, no new mets, 9mm spots less enhanced, CA15.3 down 45.5 to 9.3 in 10 wks, Ty/Xel working magic!
Aug'07~
MRI - brain mets shrunk half, NO NEW BRAIN METS!!, TMs stable @ 9.2
Oct'07~
PET/CT & MRI show NED
Apr'08~
scans still show NED in the head, small bone spot on right iliac crest (rear pelvic bone)
Sept'08~
MRI shows activity in brain mets, completed 5 fractions/5 consecutive days of IMRT to zap the pesky buggers
Oct'08~
dropped Xeloda, switched to tri-weekly Herceptin in combo with Tykerb, extend to tri-monthly Zometa infusion
Dec'08~
Brain MRI- 4 spots reduced to punctate size, large spot shrunk by 3mm, CT of torso clear/pelvis spot stable
June'09~
new 3-4mm left cerrebellar spot zapped with IMRT targeted rads
Sept'09~
new 6mm & 1 cm spots in pituitary/optic chiasm area. Rx= 25 days of 3D conformal fractionated targeted IMRT to the tumors.
Oct'09~
25 days of low dose 3D conformal fractionated targeted IMRT to the bone mets spot on rt. iliac crest that have been watching for 2 years. Added daily Aromasin back into treatment regimen.
Apr'10~ Brain MRI clear! But, see new small spot on adrenal gland. Change from Aromasin back to Tamoxifen.
June'10~ Tumor markers (CA15.3) dropped from 37 to 23 after one month on Tamoxifen. Continue to monitor adrenal gland spot. Remain on Tykerb/Herceptin/Tamoxifen.
Nov'10~ Radiate positive mediastinal node that was pressing on recurrent laryngeal nerve, causing paralyzed larynx and a funny voice.
Jan'11~ MRI shows possible activity or perhaps just scar tissue/necrotic increase on 3 previously treated brain spots and a pituitary spot. 5 days of IMRT on 4 spots.
Feb'11~ Enrolled in T-DM1 EAP in Denver, first treatment March 25, 2011.
Mar'11~ Finally started T-DM1 EAP in Denver at Rocky Mountain Cancer Center/Rose on Mar. 25... hallelujah.

"I would rather be anecdotally alive than statistically dead."
hutchibk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2007, 10:55 AM   #3
Rupali

Hi Michelle,
Are you getting any other side effects apart from diarreah. Do u take tykerb at bed time.
Regards,
Rupali
Rupali is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2007, 12:04 PM   #4
Rupali

Hi Michelle,
Read some of the home remedies for diarreah.
http://www.otan.us/webfarm/emailproject/miscdiarr.htm

Did you try bentonite clay?

Regards,
Rupali
Old 08-07-2007, 12:59 PM   #5
Rupali

Hi Michelle,
I wanted to check back to see how you were doing with tykerb and managing the diarreah.
I still havent started Tykerb monotherapy as my LVEF came down to 45%, so I am still waiting for it to jump back.
Regards,
Rupali
Old 08-07-2007, 02:32 PM   #6
hutchibk

Michelle - I have found that my daily diet plays a HUGE role in how my intestines react! Make sure you are eating clean and HEALTHY... not junk no fried no sodas - it makes all the difference in the world for me. Also, see my post of other meds to steer clear of while on Tykerb. Maybe one of those will apply to you. And, remember, no grapefruit and I just learned that they tell you to stay away from <MILK products if you are having Tykerb diarrhea.> I didn't know that until I read it last week in some of the literature...

Nov'03~ dX stage 2B
Dec'03~
Jan'04~
Taxotere/Adria/Cytoxan x 6, NED, no Rads, Tamox. 1 year, Arimadex 3 mo., NED 14 mo.
Sept'05~
micro mets lungs/chest nodes/underarm node, Switched to Aromasin, T/C/H x 7, NED 6 months - Herceptin only
Aug'06~

Apr'07~
MRI - two 9mm brain mets & 5 punctates, new left chest met, & small increase of bone spot C3 neck, Stopped Aromasin
May'07~
June'07~
MRI - stable brain mets, no new mets, 9mm spots less enhanced, CA15.3 down 45.5 to 9.3 in 10 wks, Ty/Xel working magic!
Aug'07~
Oct'07~
PET/CT & MRI show NED
Apr'08~
scans still show NED in the head, small bone spot on right iliac crest (rear pelvic bone)
Sept'08~
MRI shows activity in brain mets, completed 5 fractions/5 consecutive days of IMRT to zap the pesky buggers
Oct'08~
dropped Xeloda, switched to tri-weekly Herceptin in combo with Tykerb, extend to tri-monthly Zometa infusion
Dec'08~
Brain MRI- 4 spots reduced to punctate size, large spot shrunk by 3mm, CT of torso clear/pelvis spot stable
June'09~
Sept'09~
new 6mm & 1 cm spots in pituitary/optic chiasm area. Rx= 25 days of 3D conformal fractionated targeted IMRT to the tumors.
Oct'09~
25 days of low dose 3D conformal fractionated targeted IMRT to the bone mets spot on rt. iliac crest that have been watching for 2 years. Added daily Aromasin back into treatment regimen.
Apr'10~ Brain MRI clear! But, see new small spot on adrenal gland. Change from Aromasin back to Tamoxifen.
June'10~ Tumor markers (CA15.3) dropped from 37 to 23 after one month on Tamoxifen. Continue to monitor adrenal gland spot. Remain on Tykerb/Herceptin/Tamoxifen.
Nov'10~ Radiate positive mediastinal node that was pressing on recurrent laryngeal nerve, causing paralyzed larynx and a funny voice.
Jan'11~ MRI shows possible activity or perhaps just scar tissue/necrotic increase on 3 previously treated brain spots and a pituitary spot. 5 days of IMRT on 4 spots.
Mar'11~ Finally started T-DM1 EAP in Denver at Rocky Mountain Cancer Center/Rose on Mar. 25... hallelujah.

Last edited by hutchibk; 08-07-2007 at 05:14 PM.. Reason: correction
Old 08-07-2007, 04:26 PM   #7
IRENE FROM TAMPA

Smile No Milk??

Hey Brenda where did you read about not having milk while on Tykerb.

I was only told not to eat grapefruit (which I love ) but nothing was said about anything else. Not that I drink that much milk but now am wondering.

I will ask my onc. to see what they say but if you can tell me where you read I can refer this to them.

Thanks Brenda - hope you are doing well. Have you gone for your scans yet
TREAT: STEM CELL REPLACEMENT/HERCEPTIN.
2002 - RECUR TO LIVER
TREAT: NAVELBINE, THEN GEMZAR, THEN XELODA.
2004 - TUMORS STILL IN LIVER
TREAT: RFA TO LIVER
STABLE UNTIL
2004 - TUMOR PROGRESSION IN LIVER.
TREAT: RESECT HALF OF LIVER.
2005 - RECURR TO LYMPH NODE OUTSIDE OF LIVER.
TREAT: TAXOL/CARPO/HERCEPTIN. FAILED ON
THIS TRIO. STARTED ON ABRAXANE.
2006 - PROGRESS WITH 2ND TUMOR GROWTH.
TREAT: AUG. BEGAN ON TYKERB/XELODA
TRIAL. CONSIDERED STABLE TO DATE.
2007 - TAKEN OFF OF TYKERB/XELODA TRIAL DUE TO
PROGRESS STARTING TYKERB/AVASTIN.
NOV 2007 - SCANS SHOW PROGRESS TUMOR GROWTH
IN ABDOM. AND TWO NEW TUMORS IN NECK AREA.
BEGAN HERCEPTIN/AVASTIN/TAXOTERE
Feb 08 - Ixempra/Xeloda
June 08 - Her/DM1 trial

"I WANT TO BE AN OUTRAGEOUS OLD WOMAN WHO NEVER GETS CALLED AN OLD LADY. I WANT TO GET SHARP EDGED & EARTH COLORED, TILL I FADE AWAY FROM PURE JOY."
IRENE FROM TAMPA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2007, 05:10 PM   #8
hutchibk

I read it in the bowels (no pun intended) of the Tykerb booklet that came in my little purple Tykerb purse... And I had read all of that info before, but somehow missed the sentence about milk. It is actually in reference to how the lactose affects severity of diarrhea, not that it causes a reaction to the Tykerb (sorry to mislead). It is on page 13 under "Diarrhea" and it says:

If you have diarrhea, try making changes to the way you eat. It may help if you:
*Drink PLENTY of water
*At least 8-10 glasses a day of sports drinks/electrolytes, broth or other clear liquids to replace lost fluids and minerals
*Eat low-fat, high protein foods (lean meat and eggs, instead of fried, fatty, spicy)
*Try the BRAT diet (Bananas, rice, applesauce, toast) for absorption
*Avoid milk and milk products, including ice cream
*Eat cooked veggies more than raw ones, remove skins from fruit before eating
*Avoid herbal supplements as some may cause diarrhea

Now that I re-read it, it makes total sense... to avoid milk products while you have diarrhea.

Nov'03~ dX stage 2B
Dec'03~
Jan'04~
Sept'05~
Aug'06~

Apr'07~
May'07~
June'07~
Aug'07~
Oct'07~
PET/CT & MRI show NED
Apr'08~
Sept'08~
Oct'08~
Dec'08~
June'09~
Sept'09~
Oct'09~

Old 08-07-2007, 07:51 PM   #9
Lala

Michele
Try taking Imodium daily this does help. Some have to take it on a regular basis in order to tolerate the drug. Also the Tykerb dose may need to be lowered to 1000mg instead of the 1250mg. Eating a Bulk diet white rice, white pastas, white breads can be extremly helpful.
Lala is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2007, 08:02 PM   #10
hutchibk

I will play devil's advocate here, but as I have learned, actually brown rice, whole grain pastas, and whole grain breads work equally as well, and they are alot healthier!

Try Bentonite clay as an absorptive agent in place of immodium every day. It is wiser to change diet than to keep an unhealthy diet and become dependant on immodium. It is pretty bad to stop the system the way immodium does... it's a good idea to find ways to stay as regular as possible while on these meds.

Nov'03~ dX stage 2B
Dec'03~
Jan'04~
Sept'05~
Aug'06~

Apr'07~
May'07~
June'07~
Aug'07~
Oct'07~
PET/CT & MRI show NED
Apr'08~
Sept'08~
Oct'08~
Dec'08~
June'09~
Sept'09~
Oct'09~

Old 08-08-2007, 04:31 AM   #11
Lala

In general I have to agree a healthy diet is important.
I have been on Tykerb since March and I ended up in the hospital having to seek care because of the diarrhea. I learned there are different grades of the diarrhea side effects with Tykerb. Diarrhea can be very dangerous as I found out; it can lower your eltrolytes and potassium levels can be affected. This is why drinking something like Pedialyte or another oral eltrolyte maintenance solution is also important. You need to replace the balance in your body. I would add if you have several bouts of diarrhea a day or every few hours its time to stop. You need to restore the balance in your body prior to restarting the drug usually at a lower dose.

In my case I can not have too much fiber or it will cause me to have diarrhea. So I stick to the diet plan that was given to me by MD Anderson. I am able to purchase organic white pastas and breads in addition to all of my foods. I still eat a well balanced diet but I must include the starches in order to prevent the diarrhea from reappearing.

As we are all different consult with your doctor as to the best plan for you. Taking Tykerb should not be so difficult if you have the right diet it is very tolerable.
Lala is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2007, 04:15 PM   #12
hutchibk

You are correct about using the organic white flours and rice. They are not processed or bleached as aggressively as the conventional products are - which essentially removes all nutrients. That is a much better alternative to the conventional white flour and rice, and does not have nearly the degree of fiber that the whole grain does.

Nov'03~ dX stage 2B
Dec'03~
Jan'04~
Sept'05~
Aug'06~

Apr'07~
May'07~
June'07~
Aug'07~
Oct'07~
PET/CT & MRI show NED
Apr'08~
Sept'08~
Oct'08~
Dec'08~
June'09~
Sept'09~
Oct'09~