HonCode

Go Back   HER2 Support Group Forums > her2group
Register Gallery FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts

Old 07-22-2007, 06:41 PM   #1
Faith in Him

Question Too Many Positive Nodes and Reoccurance

I hope that I do not come across as being insentitive to others but I have to ask for my own peace of mind.

I am her+++. er-, pr- with a whopping 18 positive nodes. I am extremely obssessive about that number. My onc tells me that being high risk for reoccurance does not always mean that a person will have problems in the future. I so want to believe him but I am a little concerned of course.

Anyone else doing well with the same dx as me? And is herceptin and Tyberk (sp) all we have to fight this since er and pr is neg. ?

Blessings to you.
Faith in Him is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2007, 07:01 PM   #2
Mary Jo

Hi Faith in Him (I have Faith in Him also)

I did not have 18 positive nodes, just 1 but did want to respond to your post to help put your mind at ease.

Sadly, in the cancer world there are no guarantees about anything. I've known stage 1 people to go to stage 4 and stage 2 or 3 to stay "no evidence of disease" for a very long time. I've known people with no node involvement to have a recurrence and those with many nodes involved not have any mets or recurrence.

There is no rhyme or reason to this disease and you are right in having "faith in Him" He is really the only thing that can give you that true Peace.

Hugs from me to you,

Mary Jo
"Be still and know that I am God." Psalm 46:10

Dx. 6/24/05 age 45 Right Breast IDC
ER/PR. Neg., - Her2+++
RB Mast. - 7/28/05 - 4 cm. tumor
Margins clear - 1 microscopic cell 1 sent. node
No Vasucular Invasion
4 DD A/C - 4 DD Taxol & Herceptin
1 full year of Herceptin received every 3 weeks
28 rads
prophylactic Mast. 3/2/06

17 Years NED

<>< Romans 8:28
Mary Jo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2007, 07:18 PM   #3
Mary Anne in TX

Hi!
Mary Jo is so right! If this disease was that predictable, it would surely make it easier on all of us. But it's not! My onc's wife was diagnosed 12 years ago with (I believe) 23 positive nodes and she is going strong now.
Yes, we are more likely to recur, but some of us are so hard headed and determined that we just keep beating those odds. We do the chemo, rads, and scans, and meds and all the rest and we stay vigilant! This remarkable group of warrior women and men are the best source of knowledge and sanity I know!
We're learning together and praying for each other as the oncs and researchers are working to find that "magic bullet"! Ask lots of questions and be your own best advocate.
Keep trusting Him to guide and protect you.
Blessings to you, mary anne

Diag. 12/05 at age 60
Stage II, Grade 3, 4.5 cm primary tumor
ER/PR- Her2 +3 strongly positive
Her2 by FISH 7.7 amplified
vascular invasion
Ki67 20% borderline
Jan - March '06 Taxotere/Adriamycin X 3 to try to shrink tumor - it grew
April '06 Rt Modified Radical Mas, 7 of 9 nodes positive
April - Aug. '06 Herceptin/Taxol/Carboplatin X 8 (dose dense)
Sept - Dec. '06 Navelbine/Herceptin x 8 (dose dense)
Radiation & Herceptin Jan. 22 - March 1, 2007
Finished Herceptin Dec. 10 '08! One extra year.
Port removed August, 2012.
8 1/2 years since diagnosis! 5 1/2 Years NED!
Mary Anne in TX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2007, 07:53 PM   #4
Connie Jean

20 positive nodes

I had 20 positive nodes and like you it scares me, as I rarely see anyone that has had that many positive nodes. Like you I have faith in Him for each day He gives me. I was diagnosed 2 years ago, stage IIIc. I had a left radical masetomy with reconstruction. I finished chemo amd radiation March '06. I have been on herceptin for a year and a half. I am NED! No recurrance or mets. With my diagnosis, that is a miracle. My onc would like to see me on Tykerb now, but FDA has only approved it for metastatic cancer. But I am working on getting it approved for me.

Love and prayers,
Connie
Connie Jean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2007, 09:21 PM   #5
Alice

I don't know about you but, as I see it, you are either 100% no recurrance or 100% recurrance. No one has the crystal ball to know which each of us are. I know that there are factors that indicate which one we might be in, but they are just indicators. Otherwise they might have to put me in the looney bin.
LOL Alice
Alice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2007, 09:39 PM   #6
BonnieR

You were not being insensitive, don't worry about that. I am new here myself but am finding this a safe place to share concerns and to receive heartfelt support and advice...

Post menopause
May 2007 Core biopsy, Rt breast
ER+, Pr-, HER2 +++, Grade 3
Ki-67: 90%
"suspicious area" left breast
Bilateral mastectomy, (NED on left) May 2007
Sentinel Node Neg
Stage 1, DCIS with microinvasion, 3 mm, mostly removed during the biopsy....
Femara (discontinued 7/07) Resumed 10/07
OncoType score 36 (July 07)
Began THC 7/26/07 (d/c taxol and carboplatin 10/07)
Began Herceptin alone 10/07
Finished Herceptin July /08
D/C Femara 4/10 (joint pain/trigger thumb!)
5/10 mistakenly dx with lung cancer. Middle rt lobe removed!
Aromasin started 5/10
BonnieR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2007, 04:18 AM   #7
saleboat

Hello,

I know the feeling-- having so many positive nodes was quite a shock. You have some great drugs on your side, drugs that until 2005, most women were not getting with their treatment for early stage breast cancer. For me, I believe that it has made all the difference.

Just wanted to write-in and let you know that yes, you can survive this disease despite many positive nodes.

My best to you.

Jen
(IVF in between surgery and chemo)
tx dd A/C, followed by dd Taxol & Herceptin
30 rads (or was it 35?)
Finished Herceptin on 7/24/06
Tamox
livingcured.blogspot.com

"Keep your face to the sunshine and you cannot see the shadow." -- Helen Keller
saleboat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2007, 01:18 PM   #8
Audrey

Hi Faith in Him, I just wanted to let you know that I had 11+ nodes (with a huge tumor) almost six years ago and am doing fine. I used to separate myself from all the success stories I heard, thinking "Well, she's doing okay, but she only had 4 positive nodes and I have 11!.." nothing could cheer me up. But slowly, time passed and I kept making it through another day without a recurrence. Also, I met my friend, Michele U., on this website, who had something like 32+ nodes and she's doing great 4 years after diagnosis. Meanwhile, my neighbor was diagnosed at Stage 1, er+/her2- with no node involvement and a great prognosis, and where is she today? You guessed it--Stage IV with mets to bones, liver and brain (still doing pretty well, though, on her treatment and successful gamma knife to brain mets). Someone once told me when I was feeling so panicked about recurrence to just relax and pretend I was in water, not struggling for breath but lying back and floating on faith-- it really works for me, hope it helps you, too.

diagnosed July 2001, at age 36
large tumor, 11+ nodes
Stage IIIb, er/pr-, Her2+
treated with A/C, weekly Taxol
radiation, + year of Herceptin
on clinical trial. double mastectomy
followed by reconstruction
NED!!
Audrey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2007, 02:42 PM   #9
Donna

to Faith in Him

It is so hard to take it day by day. Today was the first time I have cried about it in over a year. The point of that: as each day passes all of this "stuff" gets less and less important and urgent. Life goes on.

And Audrey, I love your relaxation image of floating in water! I literally do go to the gym, do my laps and finish it off with a relaxing float in the water.

Best thing to do now is pray, have faith, eat right, get exercise and log into this forum twice a day!

Best to you,

Donna
Donna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2007, 03:54 PM   #10
Faith in Him

Hi all. Thanks for your replies. I can take a deep breath now. I guess I came to the right place. I'll take things one day at a time, knowing that He has a plan for me.

God Bless.
Faith in Him is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2007, 04:35 PM   #11
LAURIE

I feel your anxiety. As a matter of fact, I feel it everyday and maybe every hour. I have been anxious lately. Thank you and everyone reminding me that even if I reoccur that I will be fine.

Laurie
Diagonsed 8/10/06 (found own lump)at 35
Her 2 +++, er-/pr-
4 A/C 8-29-06 to 11-06
Lumpectomy, node dissection- 11/30/06
Pathology report stage IIIC
1 tumor 3 cm
10 of 15 nodes +
12 Taxol 12/18/06-03/06/07
Herceptin 12/18/06- 12/11/2007 done!!! yeah!!!
33 rads started 3/22/07, done!! yeah!! 5/07/07
Lymphedema diagonsed 2/1/07
BRCA1/BRCA2 negative
port out 1/10/08
pregnant after 6 yeas of trying- due mid feb.
Ryder David Kessel Hunter born feb.6th 2009

LAURIE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2007, 11:00 AM   #12
tricia keegan

My friend just celebrated her 20th anniversary of bc diagnosis! She has had no recurrance in that time and is doing great still. She had 22 positive nodes and was given a poor prognosis at the time,she was also er & pr -
Just thought it may reassure you as it does me!!
Rads x 36 ..oophorectomy August '06
Currently taking Arimidex..
June 2011 osteopenia/ zometa x1 yearly- stopped Zometa 2015 as Dexa show normal bone density.
Stopped Arimidex July 2014- Restarted Arimidex 2015 for a further two years on the advice of my Onc.
2014 Normal Dexa scan
2018 Mammo all clear, still NED!
tricia keegan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2007, 05:14 PM   #13
romo9

18 nodes too

Hi ! I am also in the same situation as you with 18 positive nodes. Its now 2 years and nine months since my diagnosis.
Pehaps this may help.
There are persons who shape their lives by the fear of death.
And persons who shape their lives by the joy and satisfaction of life.
The former live dying;and the latter die living.
I know that fate may stop me tomorrow,but death is an irrelevant contingency.
Whenever it comes,I intend to die living.
I have no fear of death because I feel that I have lived.
I have loved and been loved.
I have been challenged in my personal and professional life and have managed,if not a perfect score,at least a passing grade and perhaps a little better than that.
I have left my mark on people and I have come to a point in life where I no longer need toleave my mark on people.
I can look forward to the last act of my life however short or long it may be,in the knowledge that I have finally figured out who I am and how to handle life.
There is no way to prevent dying.
But the cure for the fear of death is to make sure that you have lived.
Harold S Kushner.
So look up skiing again after 20 years. Those black runs dont scare me any more!! Romo
romo9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2007, 05:30 PM   #14
dhealey

Romo9,
Thank you for your post today. I am having a bad day today feeling really down about this whole breast cancer thing! Fear is my greatest handicap. Your post has been very uplifting and inspirational. What you said about dying while living is great. It will be my new motto!
Debbie in North Carolina
4 rounds A/C, 4 rounds Taxol
Herceptin every 3 weeks until Jan. 2008
6/18/07 prophylatic mastectomy R breast
8/2007 started aromasin/stopped arimidex (side effects)
12/07 stopped aromasin due to side effects (now what?)
Finished herceptin 1/8/08
started tamoxifen for 2 years then will switch to femera
allergic to tamoxifen started femera 4/2008
June 20, 2008 portacath removed
Learnig to live life to the fullest!
Stopped Femera due to side effects
July 28, 2008 start trial for breast cancer vaccine
dhealey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2007, 06:57 PM   #15
Mary Jo

Hi Romo,

Just wanted to tell you how much I loved your post. It totally sums up how I feel about my life but could never have phrased it so eloquently. Thanks for sharing it. It was awesome. I will print it out and keep it most definitely.

Mary Jo
"Be still and know that I am God." Psalm 46:10

Dx. 6/24/05 age 45 Right Breast IDC
ER/PR. Neg., - Her2+++
RB Mast. - 7/28/05 - 4 cm. tumor
Margins clear - 1 microscopic cell 1 sent. node
No Vasucular Invasion
4 DD A/C - 4 DD Taxol & Herceptin
1 full year of Herceptin received every 3 weeks
28 rads
prophylactic Mast. 3/2/06

17 Years NED

<>< Romans 8:28
Mary Jo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2007, 07:03 AM   #16
dlaxague

Romo, thank you for posting that lovely poem. I was one worried ball of anxiety after diagnosis, obsessing over prognostic details, as many of us have done. Trying to reassure myself by hearing other's stories of survival didn't really help. What did help was turning my focus to living fully right now and letting go my illusions and desires about control. Your poem says that well.

Faith, I had written the post below several days ago but couldn't get the formatting right in the quote at the end. Romo reminds me to send it, so I'll spend a few more minutes retyping so the listbot will let it thru.

Dear Faith,

To answer the questions that you asked - yes I know of women with many positive nodes (more than you) who are long term survivors with no recurrence.

In addition to Herceptin and Tykerb there are many chemos that can be used when needed for ERPR- cancers. And ERPR- cancer tends to respond better to them than does ERPR+ cancer so that is a good thing.

There's another question that you didn't ask, but it was in there and we all have struggled with its answer. How to live our lives while dealing with the fear and uncertainty that our diagnosis has brought to us?

To me, that's the MOST important question. The answer's probably a little different for each one of us, and if this starts a discussion you'll see the wonderfully wide range of approaches and perspectives.

The answer is not (as most of us have found out thru direct experience, smile) looking for prognostic and survival information that can tell us what will happen to us. I can remember doing that, so desperately - I think because it gave me an illusion of control - that lovely control that I didn't want to realize I didn't have (and had never had, hah!).

I think eventually most of us sort ourselves out into one of two basic ways of living. Either we make it through treatment, suppress the fear, and leave cancer behind - that works for some but probably those women are not on this list. The other strategy is to accept the uncertainty. As much as we wish we had control, at least enough to control to know what will happen - we do not. Wishing and hoping and obsessing will not give us control of what is to happen. So we try to accept the uncertainty and use it to motivate us to live our lives fully, right now - which is the only time that we have.

I'd heard that cliche about "living in the moment" so many times, before cancer diagnosis. I thought that I knew what it meant. But not until trying to figure out how to proceed after diagnosis and treatment did I really understand, on a heart level, what it meant. For me, it means not allowing fear about the future to cast even the smallest cloud over my time right now. What worked best for me in achieving this was the reasoning that if I was going to have less time here than I'd always assumed, I was not going to allow fear to cause me to waste a single moment of the time I do have. I like this quote from MaryAnn T. Romano, who says it much better than I can:

Just as disease was present before your awareness, so illness can persist beyond physical recovery from cancer. When you learn that you have a serious disease, you want it fixed. You seek treatment for cure...to rid your body of the disease. You also wnat something more...something not only impossible, but detrimental to healing. You want everything to go back the way it was before illness. You imagine that the way to wholeness is backward, rather than the forward journey you must make.

Serious illness takes you to life's horizon. Yet, here at the edge is the first step of the beginning of the healing journey. It opens all other healing pathways with the gift of present moment living, that is, the awareness that the now is, in reality, the only reality. You have a choice here as well. Use this moment in wishes or regrets for a time past before cancer...or with dread and fear for your future. In either case, you will poison the present and miss your opportunity to live this one moment to its fullest. Individuals who are healed have accepted the "precious present" as the only real reality. They live in it and rejoice in it. They are the happiest, most healed persons you will ever know."
Mary Ann T. Romano, PhD

3/01 ~ Age 49, occult primary announced by large axillary node found by my husband. Multiple CBE's, mammogram, U/S could not find anything in the breast. Axillary node biopsy - pathology said + for "mets above diaphragm, probably breast".
4/01 ~ Bilateral mastectomies (LMRM, R simple) - 1.2cm IDC was found at pathology.
5 of 11 axillary nodes positive, largest = 6cm. Stage IIIA
ERPR 5%/1% (re-done later at Baylor, both negative at zero).
HER2neu positive by IHC and FISH (8.89).
Lymphovascular invasion, grade 3, 8/9 modified SBR.
TX: Control of arm of NSABP B-31's adjuvant Herceptin trial (no Herceptin): A/C x 4 and Taxol x 4 q3weeks, then rads. Arimidex for two years, stopped after second patholgy opinion.
dlaxague is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2007, 08:40 AM   #17
hutchibk

That is wonderful. Thanks for sharing. I will add my favorite new quote that I am borrowing from someone else here on the site... "we can't direct the wind, but we can adjust our sails."

NOV 2012 - 9 yr anniversary
JULY 2012 - 7 yr anniversary stage IV (of 50...)

Nov'03~ dX stage 2B
Dec'03~
Rt side mastectomy, Her2+, ER/PR+, 10 nodes out, one node positive
Jan'04~
Taxotere/Adria/Cytoxan x 6, NED, no Rads, Tamox. 1 year, Arimadex 3 mo., NED 14 mo.
Sept'05~
micro mets lungs/chest nodes/underarm node, Switched to Aromasin, T/C/H x 7, NED 6 months - Herceptin only
Aug'06~
micro mets chest nodes, & bone spot @ C3 neck, Added Taxol to Herceptin
Feb'07~ Genetic testing, BRCA 1&2 neg

Apr'07~
MRI - two 9mm brain mets & 5 punctates, new left chest met, & small increase of bone spot C3 neck, Stopped Aromasin
May'07~
Started Tykerb/Xeloda, no WBR for now
June'07~
MRI - stable brain mets, no new mets, 9mm spots less enhanced, CA15.3 down 45.5 to 9.3 in 10 wks, Ty/Xel working magic!
Aug'07~
MRI - brain mets shrunk half, NO NEW BRAIN METS!!, TMs stable @ 9.2
Oct'07~
PET/CT & MRI show NED
Apr'08~
scans still show NED in the head, small bone spot on right iliac crest (rear pelvic bone)
Sept'08~
MRI shows activity in brain mets, completed 5 fractions/5 consecutive days of IMRT to zap the pesky buggers
Oct'08~
dropped Xeloda, switched to tri-weekly Herceptin in combo with Tykerb, extend to tri-monthly Zometa infusion
Dec'08~
Brain MRI- 4 spots reduced to punctate size, large spot shrunk by 3mm, CT of torso clear/pelvis spot stable
June'09~
new 3-4mm left cerrebellar spot zapped with IMRT targeted rads
Sept'09~
new 6mm & 1 cm spots in pituitary/optic chiasm area. Rx= 25 days of 3D conformal fractionated targeted IMRT to the tumors.
Oct'09~
25 days of low dose 3D conformal fractionated targeted IMRT to the bone mets spot on rt. iliac crest that have been watching for 2 years. Added daily Aromasin back into treatment regimen.
Apr'10~ Brain MRI clear! But, see new small spot on adrenal gland. Change from Aromasin back to Tamoxifen.
June'10~ Tumor markers (CA15.3) dropped from 37 to 23 after one month on Tamoxifen. Continue to monitor adrenal gland spot. Remain on Tykerb/Herceptin/Tamoxifen.
Nov'10~ Radiate positive mediastinal node that was pressing on recurrent laryngeal nerve, causing paralyzed larynx and a funny voice.
Jan'11~ MRI shows possible activity or perhaps just scar tissue/necrotic increase on 3 previously treated brain spots and a pituitary spot. 5 days of IMRT on 4 spots.
Feb'11~ Enrolled in T-DM1 EAP in Denver, first treatment March 25, 2011.
Mar'11~ Finally started T-DM1 EAP in Denver at Rocky Mountain Cancer Center/Rose on Mar. 25... hallelujah.

"I would rather be anecdotally alive than statistically dead."
hutchibk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2007, 09:22 PM   #18
michele u

Dear Faith in Him,
Yes, i had 35 positive nodes! All the nodes they took out were positive. I'm going to be 4 years out next month, no recurrence. I'm getting my port taken out on monday. i was going to wait til 5 years but it is not working---so out it goes. Don't get caught up in the number game. Cancer does not follow direction very well! It does wants it's going to do--not what the dr's tell us. I had a year of Herceptin at dx, that's what is helping fighting this from coming back!! If you have any questions, please email me at mulmer@mainstaycomm.net

dx: August 2003 stage 3b 35 pos nodes ER/PR neg Her+
4 AC 12 weekly taxol
one year Herceptin in trial
35 rad tx
vaccine trial Seattle
NED
michele u is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2007, 12:31 AM   #19
michka

Red face

Hi everybody,
Speaking about positive lymph nodes I have a question that keeps filling my head and you may help me: I had neoadjuvant chemo before mastectomy. I was T2N1. The chemo shrunk the tumor from 3 cm to 1,2 cm. The pathology report of the axillary node dissection indicated 3 positive out of 5. I understand that the chemo worked partially which worries me a lot but why only 5 nodes? Why so little? Did the others disappear? Does this mean I will never know how many I had to start with? Did they not take out enough nodes?
I'll take all opinions about this.
Michka

12.2010 Mets to liver,Herceptin+Tykerb
03.2011 Liver resection ER+70% PR-
04.2011 Herceptin+Navelbine+750mg Tykerb
06.2011 Liver ned, Met to sternum. Added Zometa 09.2011 Cyberknife for sternum
11.2011 Pet clear. Stop Navelbine, continuing on Hercpetin+Tykerb+Aromasin
02.2012 Mets to lungs, nodes, liver
04.2012 TDM1, Ned in 07.2012
04.2015 Stop TDM1/Kadcyla, still Ned, liver problems
04.2016 Liver mets. Back on Kadcyla
08.2016 Kadcyla stopped working. mets to liver lungs bones
09.2016 Biopsy to liver. no more HER2, still ER+
09.2016 CMF Afinitor/Aromasin/ Xgeva.Met to eye muscle Cyberknife
01.2017 Gemzar/Carboplatin/ Ibrance/Faslodex then Taxotere
02.2017 30 micro mets to brain breathing getting worse and worse
04.2017 Liquid biopsy/CTC indicates HER2 again. Start Herceptin with Halaven
06.2017 all tumors shrunk 60% . more micro mets to brain (1mm mets) no symptoms
michka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2007, 08:16 PM   #20
michele u

i think you are right about not really knowing for sure if you have neoadjuvant chemo. You could have had more, but as you can tell by this thread, that the rules don't always apply to lymph node numbers anyway, esp since Herceptin is around. You are going to be fine if you've had more lymph node involvement or not!!

dx: August 2003 stage 3b 35 pos nodes ER/PR neg Her+
4 AC 12 weekly taxol
one year Herceptin in trial
35 rad tx
vaccine trial Seattle
NED
michele u is offline   Reply With Quote