HonCode

Go Back   HER2 Support Group Forums > Diet and Nutrition
Register Gallery FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Diet and Nutrition By popular demand our nutritional message board. This board will be monitored by a Registered RD who is certified in oncology by the American Dietetic Association

Old 09-26-2009, 08:49 PM   #21
DianneS

Re: Diet and Nutrition: Research for Breast Cancer Prevention and Risk of Recurrence

Dear Tanya,

I am concerned now that I started antioxidants after my chemo. I took them with herceptin only, along with matcha tea. The antioxidants were from a company called AOR and I took 4 a day. Are there any contraindications for herceptin and vitamin E...these antioxidants were Rx'd me by a naturopath doctor along with AHCC, which is used to keep white blood cells up.
I only took the AHCC for a couple of months along with herceptin but not with the chemo.

Sorry for the multiple questions! I still don't know how long to wait after the last herceptin to begin the curcumin? Thanks!

Dianne
8/9 Richardson/Bloom test
ER+ weakly positive
Alred Score: 4 (suggesting I would strongly benefit from hormone therapy)
PR-,
HER2 positive +++
No vascular invasion
No lymph nodes involved
Surgery: Sept. 9, 2008 -Modified radical mastectomy, right breast. I chose to have a simple mastectomy on the left. Began Taxotere/Carboplatin/Herceptin November, 2008. Finished T/C March 2009. Finished #16 Herceptin Sept. 09. AI's and Tamoxifen made me sick. Began natural Tamoxifen which is Quercetin, I3C and a combo of other supplements. I am also a DES Daughter. There is now a link between DES exposure in utero and breast cancer!
DianneS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2009, 10:53 AM   #22
TanyaRD

Re: Diet and Nutrition: Research for Breast Cancer Prevention and Risk of Recurrence

Hi Diane,
Please don't feel badly about taking the supplements during the times you also received herceptin. Nutrition can be a frustrating area because there is so much we don't know and it is always changing. Just when we think we've figured something out an new drug or new version of the drug comes out and we start over :-) Herceptin works differently than systemic chemo and therefore we probably don't need to be as cautious about antioxidants during those infusions. I still err on the side of caution but I would encourage you not to allow this to be a source of concern. I am not aware of any interaction between Vitamin E and herceptin. I looked at the AOR and AHCC supplements and AOR appears to be moderate in its antioxidant content. I wasn't able to find an ingredient list for AHCC but gather it is a mushroom blend. While it is not an area of specialty for me I find the research on mushroom properties to be interesting and have monitored patients who chose to take them during treatment without problems noted. As for matcha green tea I am encouraged by green tea research in generally and specifically with regards to the EGCG and blood supply to tumors. Very high antioxidant blends should be used with caution during systemic chemo though. As for taking curcumin after herceptin I generally recommend waiting 2-4 weeks.
TanyaRD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2009, 03:54 PM   #23
DianneS

Tanya,

Thanks so much for your advice. As you say there isn't much known about these interactions. I just hope & pray that I did the right thing.

AHCC was supplied by my naturopath. It helped keep my white blood count in the normal range and it seemed to help with energy levels. You are right - it is mushroom derived. I believe the mushrooms are grown on rice bran or something like that. There are some studies published about AHCC helping the immune system.

Is there a certain number of cups of green tea one should drink per day?

Also thank you for looking into AOR antioxidants. I have stopped these and am just taking a multivitamin/mineral supplement plus 1000 mg of vit D.

I talked to a pharmacist who said we probably don't need copper, boron or iron in a supplement. A lot of calcium supplements have this as an ingredient. Also I thought this person said NOT to take vit D along with calcium? Is that correct? I cannot find a calcium supplement that does not contain either vit D and/or copper, boron, and iron and also cannot find one that does not have soy or soybean oil in it. I was appalled to see that the calcium/magnesium product I was using, Inno-Cal-Vite, had evening primose oil and soy oil in it! Now I'm not taking anything and am concerned about my bones as I am osteopenic and lactose intolerant. Suggestions?
Dianne
ER+ weakly positive
PR-,
HER2 positive +++
No vascular invasion
No lymph nodes involved
Surgery: Sept. 9, 2008 -Modified radical mastectomy, right breast. I chose to have a simple mastectomy on the left. Began Taxotere/Carboplatin/Herceptin November, 2008. Finished T/C March 2009. Finished #16 Herceptin Sept. 09. AI's and Tamoxifen made me sick. Began natural Tamoxifen which is Quercetin, I3C and a combo of other supplements. I am also a DES Daughter. There is now a link between DES exposure in utero and breast cancer!
Old 10-02-2009, 09:39 AM   #24
TanyaRD

Hi Dianne,
Vitamin D is a critical component needed for calcium absorption so you definitely want your calcium supplement to contain vitamin D. There is a great deal of vitamin D research coming forth that I think is going to change the current vitamin recommendations for everyone. You do need to use caution in knowing what is in your supplement aside from calcium and vitamin D. Soy Lecithin and soy oil used in small amounts in foods and supplements contain little if any of the soy isoflavones we want ER+ breast cancer survivors to consume so I wouldn't worry too much about that. I noted that the Viactiv I have in my office has soy lecithin. I saw that Citrical has a new bone density calcium formula and noted that is contains significant amounts of the soy isoflavone, genistein, which is of concern and I would not recommend this product.

Being a breast cancer survivor, osteopenic and lactose intolerant you certainly need to take a calcium supplement (at least 1000mg/day). Citrical Maximum is a good choice and does not have any soy. Viactiv is easy if you have trouble with pills. Dietary-wise, make sure you are getting some dark, leafy greens, beans (starchy type), and you can also try some of the calcium fortified orange juice but be careful with the amount of juice you drink if weight is a concern. It is high in non-filling calories.

Research for green tea and cancer suggests 3-5 cups of green tea per day.

Last edited by TanyaRD; 10-02-2009 at 09:41 AM.. Reason: one more thing...
Old 10-02-2009, 06:25 PM   #25
DianneS

Hello Tanya,

I appreciate you taking your time to respond to my questions.

There are so many things in our lives that have to change after this diagnosis, right down to the vitamins taken. I've never read so many labels before. I did look at a bottle of Citrical but decided not to buy it after I looked closer at the ingredients. I am taking a product by Jamieson with calcium/vit D: each tablet is 600 mg elemental calcium from calcium carbonate and 400 IU of Vit D (cholecalciferol) in a base of maltodextrin, mineral oil, glycerin, hypomellose, titanium dioxide, triethyl citrate, polysorbate 80, water soluable cellulose, brazilian palm tree wax.....interesting binders but I noticed all of the calcium had a combo of these. I take two a day. Is this enough? Also anything harmful in the binding ingredients?

For multis, the ingreds are: Vitamin A from beta carotene, 1660 IU, Vit D3 -34 IU, Vit C - 142 mg, Vit B1 - 16.5 mg, Vit B2 - 1.5 mg, Vit B3 -5 mg, niacinamide 22 mg, pantothenic acid 75 mg, Vit B6 - 2.5 mg, Vit B12 -66.5 mcg, Vit E - 66.5mcg, biotin 66.5mcg, folic acid 0.13 mg, choline cirtate, 16.5 mg, magnesium citrate, 47.5 mg, potassium 15mg, magnanese 2.5 mg, zinc 2.5 mg, iodine 0.037mg, chromium 0.333 mg, selenium 0.333mg, molybdenum 0.016 mg, vanadium 0.016 mg. I take 6 of these powder capsules a day so the figures here are mg's/mcg in EACH tablet.

I also take a 5 mg tablet of folic acid rx'd by my doctor after my aneurysm. Not sure what it is supposed to help.

I take a Vit B complex time released tablet, one daily. (I think it has 100 mg of most of the B vits).

In addition to above calcium/vit D, I take 1000 mg of vit D per day, as well as trying to get sunshine.

Do you see any changes I should make?

Thank you so much,
Dianne
ER+ weakly positive
PR-,
HER2 positive +++
No vascular invasion
No lymph nodes involved
Old 10-06-2009, 12:24 PM   #26
TanyaRD

Dianne,
Your multi looks very complete. The combination of those 6 capsules per day plus a folic acid and a B-100 complex does give you a lot of B-vitamins but they are not fat soluble so should be ok. Your calcium with D provides you with 1200mg calcium per day which is adequate. I think the additional Vitamin D is a good idea too, especially for those of us in a northern climate :-)
Old 10-06-2009, 04:43 PM   #27
DianneS

Tanya,

I appreciate so much your response. The advice given at health food stores isn't always professional, and I sometimes think they are only interested in selling vitamins.

If you can think of anything I should add please let me know. I do take 4 fish oil capsules per day - 2 after each meal. They have the DHA and whatever else in them.

Thank you again,
Dianne
ER+ weakly positive
PR-,
HER2 positive +++
No vascular invasion
No lymph nodes involved
Old 04-03-2010, 07:38 PM   #28
karen z

Alice,
Thanks much for posting.
Karen
karen z is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2010, 03:39 AM   #29
maouno

I read another interesting article at the online version of the Integrative Cancer Therapies site, about which I want to inform you http://ict.sagepub.com Breast Defend. Ralf Moss writes about it in his last online newsletter. I don't know yet how to get the information blue, but I think it's anough clear.
maouno
Other side, new case, lumpectomy 8 aug 2008: 1 cm, no nodes. Postmeno. Er+Pr-Her2+++
Oncotest high risk, Muga 51, port placed Dec. 2008, chemo CMF started 18 nov during 6 months , 6 rounds of two treatments. Finished rads April 2009, started Herceptin late: 10 Sept 2009. Muga 63.
Finished herceptin 5 sept 2010.Port taken out 19 oct 2010!!
maouno is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2010, 04:38 AM   #30
maouno

It didn't come over. Better try themossreports\9oct,2010
Other side, new case, lumpectomy 8 aug 2008: 1 cm, no nodes. Postmeno. Er+Pr-Her2+++
Oncotest high risk, Muga 51, port placed Dec. 2008, chemo CMF started 18 nov during 6 months , 6 rounds of two treatments. Finished rads April 2009, started Herceptin late: 10 Sept 2009. Muga 63.
Finished herceptin 5 sept 2010.Port taken out 19 oct 2010!!
maouno is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2010, 01:54 PM   #31
Jackie07

The Moss Reports charges for information that is freely available from the goverment website such as PubMed http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/sites/entrez or Medline http://www.nlm.nih.gov/medlineplus/

. Here's the statement on the bottom of each article listed on The Moss Reports:

BREAST CANCER AWARENESS MONTH SPECIAL
Donations applicable to Download Versions of the report only:

(*PLEASE NOTE: Minimum required donation is $1, but a donation of any amount is welcome. Printed versions are still regularly priced at $29.95 plus shipping. You can also make an additional donation or a different amount of donation on the checkout page, just prior to payment. )

Normally $19.95

Starting at: $1.00

NICU 4.4 LB
Erythema Nodosum 85
Life-long Central Neurocytoma 4x5x6.5 cm 23 hrs 62090 semi-coma 10 d PT OT ST 30 d
3 Infertility tmts 99 > 3 u. fibroids > Pills
CN 3 GKRS 52301
IDC 1.2 cm Her2 +++ ER 5% R. Lmptmy SLNB+1 71703 6 FEC 33 R Tamoxifen
Recc IIB 2.5 cm Bi-L Mast 61407 2/9 nds PET
6 TCH Cellulitis - Lymphedema - compression sleeve & glove
H w x 4 MUGA 51 D, J 49 M
Diastasis recti
Tamoxifen B. scan
Irrtbl bowel 1'09
Colonoscopy 313
BRCA1 V1247I
hptc hemangioma
Vertigo
GI - > yogurt
hysterectomy/oophorectomy 011410
Exemestane 25 mg tab 102912 ~ 101016 stopped due to r. hip/l.thigh pain after long walk
DEXA 1/13
1-2016 lesions in liver largest 9mm & 1.3 cm onco. says not cancer.
3-11 Appendectomy - visually O.K., a lot of puss. Final path result - not cancer.
Start Vitamin D3 and Calcium supplement (600mg x2)
10-10 Stopped Exemestane due to r. hip/l.thigh pain OKed by Onco 11-08-2016
7-23-2018 9 mm groundglass nodule within the right lower lobe with indolent behavior. Due to possible adenocarcinoma, Recommend annual surveilence.
7-10-2019 CT to check lung nodule.
1-10-2020 8mm stable nodule on R Lung, two 6mm new ones on L Lung, a possible lymph node involvement in inter fissule.
"I WANT TO BE AN OUTRAGEOUS OLD WOMAN WHO NEVER GETS CALLED AN OLD LADY. I WANT TO GET SHARP EDGED & EARTH COLORED, TILL I FADE AWAY FROM PURE JOY." Irene from Tampa

Advocacy is a passion .. not a pastime - Joe

Last edited by Jackie07; 10-13-2010 at 01:58 PM..
Jackie07 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2010, 11:12 PM   #32
alinak

Mass reports- Test to avoid chemotherapy treatment. Some people say a dietary supplement for breast cancer.

Old 10-16-2010, 09:56 AM   #33
Jackie07

Dr. Slamon is mentioned in this article. Obviously the writer had no idea how Dr. Slamon's work changed our life. However, the questions raised about toxic chemo drugs are legitimate. Hopefully the breakthroughs in genetics will help eradicate cancer soon.

http://bcaction.org/index.php?page=ralph-moss-article

NICU 4.4 LB
Erythema Nodosum 85
Life-long Central Neurocytoma 4x5x6.5 cm 23 hrs 62090 semi-coma 10 d PT OT ST 30 d
3 Infertility tmts 99 > 3 u. fibroids > Pills
CN 3 GKRS 52301
IDC 1.2 cm Her2 +++ ER 5% R. Lmptmy SLNB+1 71703 6 FEC 33 R Tamoxifen
Recc IIB 2.5 cm Bi-L Mast 61407 2/9 nds PET
6 TCH Cellulitis - Lymphedema - compression sleeve & glove
H w x 4 MUGA 51 D, J 49 M
Diastasis recti
Tamoxifen B. scan
Irrtbl bowel 1'09
Colonoscopy 313
BRCA1 V1247I
hptc hemangioma
Vertigo
GI - > yogurt
hysterectomy/oophorectomy 011410
Exemestane 25 mg tab 102912 ~ 101016 stopped due to r. hip/l.thigh pain after long walk
DEXA 1/13
1-2016 lesions in liver largest 9mm & 1.3 cm onco. says not cancer.
3-11 Appendectomy - visually O.K., a lot of puss. Final path result - not cancer.
Start Vitamin D3 and Calcium supplement (600mg x2)
10-10 Stopped Exemestane due to r. hip/l.thigh pain OKed by Onco 11-08-2016
7-23-2018 9 mm groundglass nodule within the right lower lobe with indolent behavior. Due to possible adenocarcinoma, Recommend annual surveilence.
7-10-2019 CT to check lung nodule.
1-10-2020 8mm stable nodule on R Lung, two 6mm new ones on L Lung, a possible lymph node involvement in inter fissule.
"I WANT TO BE AN OUTRAGEOUS OLD WOMAN WHO NEVER GETS CALLED AN OLD LADY. I WANT TO GET SHARP EDGED & EARTH COLORED, TILL I FADE AWAY FROM PURE JOY." Irene from Tampa

Advocacy is a passion .. not a pastime - Joe
Jackie07 is offline   Reply With Quote