HonCode

Go Back   HER2 Support Group Forums > her2group
Register Gallery FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 05-01-2009, 03:27 AM   #1
Ellie F

Hair loss and cold caps

I wondered if anyone had any experience of using cold caps to try to prevent hair loss during chemo? I have heard varying reports about their effectiveness and their discomfort factor! Any thoughts?Thanks Ellie
Ellie F is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2009, 06:07 AM   #2
Becky

I have no real experience but my friend did it diligently because her daughter was getting married and she didn't want to lose her hair. It did not work for her.

Becky

Found lump via BSE
Diagnosed 8/04 at age 45
1.9cm tumor, ER+PR-, Her2 3+(rt side)
2 micromets to sentinel node
Stage 2A
left 3mm DCIS - low grade ER+PR+Her2 neg
lumpectomies 9/7/04
4DD AC followed by 4 DD taxol
Used Leukine instead of Neulasta
35 rads on right side only
4/05 started Tamoxifen
Started Herceptin 4 months after last Taxol due to
trial results and 2005 ASCO meeting & recommendations
Oophorectomy 8/05
Started Arimidex 9/05
Finished Herceptin (16 months) 9/06
Arimidex Only
Prolia every 6 months for osteopenia

NED 18 years!

Said Christopher Robin to Pooh: "You must remember this: You're braver than you believe and stronger than you seem and smarter than you think"
Becky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2009, 01:50 AM   #3
Ellie F

Thanks Becky
I was thinking of giving it a go in the hope that I might keep my hair this summer as I lost it last summer and it has only just come back!
Ellie
Ellie F is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2009, 04:48 AM   #4
Christine MH-UK

Mixed review

Well, this worked for me when I was on anthracyclines before surgery; however, I decided not to use it after surgery when I was put on taxotere. The amount of time that you need to keep it on if you have a taxane is incredibly long and I would not have been able to tolerate it.
Christine MH-UK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2009, 05:46 PM   #5
Cannon

I remember asking my onc about this when I was starting chemo - he said that it can help, but they also found a higher rate of skin mets on scalp for those who used it (a very low rate to begin with, so prob not significant).

But - the whole point is to let the chemo do its job, right?
Taxol+Herceptin weekly x12, continuing with Herceptin, finished one year in 12/07
33 Rads
Femara for 5+ years, staying on (started with Arimidex, switched after about a month, much happier)
Abnormal brain MRI shows no cancer, but "extensive white matter diease" - unknown cause
BRCA negative - lots of cancer in my family
survivor of thyroid cancer
also have Crohn's disease
CT and bone scan say NED as of 5/13
dx with severe cardiomyopathy 5/12 (likely due to chemo and Herceptin), ejection fraction in low 20's, now up to 40, went to 50, latest read 12/13 is back down to 35
1/13 Acute pancreatitis - are you kidding me?
9/13 started Humira for Crohn's. starting to have some energy again
B12 and Vit D both needed supplementation
Cataracts in both eyes noted 6/12 - surgery in the next 2-4 years?
4/14 Kidney stones/blockage/infection - related to Crohn's Disease
5/14 My aunt passed away - she was diagnosed after I was with Stage I - not Her2+, then Stage 4 for about one year
6/14 Scans - still NED, thank God. However, broken rib (I didn't notice) lots of bone degeneration osteopenia/osteoporosis. I also still have cardiomyopathy secondary to chemo.
Cannon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2009, 05:31 AM   #6
jml

Hi Ellie~
Losing our hair once due to this disease is humbling enough, but to have to go through it multiple times, that's just adding insult to injury.
After my 1st year of tx, I was NED for a year. Just long enough for my hair to grow out & look like a hairstyle. Then NED disappeared, and so did my hair once I started back on treatment. Losing my hair a 2nd time wasn't any easier for me than the 1st, but at least the 2nd time I already knew what I was going to look like bald-and that familiarity was slightly 'comforting'.
Currently I'm at a crossroads w/choosing a treatment to deal with this newest recurrence. Do I go back to Taxol/Heceptin - which worked well in the past & brought me longer intervals of NED, but sacrifice my hair? Or try something new again -Tykerb/Xeloda/Herceptin & hope for the best possible results and keep my hair? I worry that I'm letting my vanity get in the way of making my choice.
It always drives me a little crazy, despite their best intentions, when people say, "It's just hair, it'll grow back," or "You look beautiful bald." My personal favorite is, "I see bald women all the time - it's not so unusual any more." UGH! They just don't get it. We carry the heavy burden of this disease, and we do so boldly & gracefully. I don't think it's so awful to wish the load was just a tiny bit lighter.
The cryo-cap just seems like too great discomfort for the risk/reward. When I was on Taxol, I used to have to put my finger tips in icewater b/c of severe neuropathy-loopy with the megadose of benadryl...that was miserable. Is there any possiblity that you can try Navelbine or Gemzar? (Unfortunately the Navelbine didn't work at all for me & the Gemzar worked initially, but stopped some time mid-cycle.) Or even Tykerb/Xeloda?
My docs are encouraging me to go on a study w/Taxol+Herceptin + study drug, because 1) they need to enroll patients 2) the GI side effects of Tykerb/Xeloda can be pretty severe/difficult. Personally, I'd rather endure the potential of massive diarrhea than the certainty of baldness, again.

Keeping you in my thoughts & prayers that you are guided to a decision that is best for you.

Jessica
jml is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2009, 07:45 AM   #7
alicem

Before I started my chemo, a BC survivor friend of mine warned me about the cold cap. She said she had read about some women in England who had used them and a large majority of them ended up with brain mets or skin mets. She said they thought the cold kept the chemo from doing it's job in that part of the body.

I asked my oncologist about this and he said he had never heard of such a thing. So, I don't know if it is just a myth or a rumor.
10/15/08 - Hysterectomy & Oophorectomy, Lumpectomy: Cyst on uterus, not ovary - all was benign. Breast - 5 of 6 bad margins. 2 Sentinel Lymph nodes removed, both negative. Stage 0, Tis, N0
12/11/08 - Mastectomy & DIEP reconstruction: Surprise! 2 cm Invasive DC, grade 2 found. One benign internal mammary lymph node. Stage 1, T1c, N0, all clean margins. ER+ (Proportion Score = 2/5, Intensity Score = 2/3) and PR+(Proportion Score = 3/5, Intensity Score = 2/3)
HER2 score = 3+
1/09/09 - Oncotype DX: Recurrence S/core of 60 !?!?! ER status is NEG!! PR staus is NEG! HER2 score = 12.2 (still positive, greater than 11.5 is positive).
1/20/09 - Started chemo: TCH
5/26/09 - FINISHED CHEMO!
1/05/10 - FINISHED HERCEPTIN!
1/22/10 - Port-a-catheter removed!
3/07/18 - Still NED
9/10/23 - Still NED
alicem is offline   Reply With Quote