HonCode

Go Back   HER2 Support Group Forums > her2group
Register Gallery FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts

Old 04-14-2009, 06:37 PM   #1
mmoons

Struggling

Hi Friends,

I am in such a lonely place. I know you all will understand, having probably been here or are here with me now. Forgive me in advance for this post which I think will end of being just a stream of consciousness.

My surgery was moved up 3 weeks to May 5. My oncologist wants no more than 7 days from my last chemo to surgery based on the aggressiveness of this cancer. I had Taxol today so only 2 more of those to go and 3 weeks left of Lapatinib (both of which I am struggling with and feel absolutely TOXIC). I have over 5 months of treatments under my belt, praise God. I should be happier. This phase is almost over. And I am so blessed to have these wonderful medicines to help me.

Everyone is so kind to me. They are trying to say the right things but comments like "whew...get the surgery over and be done with this nasty cancer stuff" privately make me crazy. I feel like I am just starting. Once the surgery is over then I have the 7 weeks of radiation and 6 months of Herceptin. Then years of watching and waiting and praying that it stays gone.

This is just not me. I am normally so positive and strong. But lately I feel like a crumbling worrying blob. Did I make the right decision about not reconstructing? I am sure I did because 90% I feel good and peaceful about it...almost excited. But sometimes I wake at 2:00 a.m. gripped in fear. Will this come back??? Then I get worried that all my worrying will cause more cancer...and I feel guilty. I do not have a spouse to turn and talk to in those dark lonely late hours...just a 3 year old and a 6 year old that I would OBVIOUSLY never burden. It is my job to keep the fear from them. I have started with a counselor so that will help.

Then I worry about Herceptin for just 6 months. I trust my oncologist completely. She is wonderful and talks to me about everything...from my fears to what she learned in San Antonio to my dx & tx. She is very involved with many of the MD Anderson studies, which is how I got into this clinical trial. I cannot say enough good about her. But she feels strongly that since I have had 6 1/2 months of neoadjuvant treatment, that 6 months of Herceptin is sufficient. I am very interested in what you all think.

My sisters are amazing...just like you guys. I have 5 of them, all in their own hell because they live far from their little sister as I go through this. They love me so much and I am very blessed. I just wish I could get back to a peaceful place in this wretched journey.

Thanks for listening, you guys.

Maureen

My loves

IDC & DCIS, HER2+++ Diagnosis: October 1, 2008
  • Tumor: 6.8 centimeters, never showed on mammograms
  • ER-/PR-
  • November 2008: Sentinal Lymph node surgery. 6 out of 9 lymph nodes with cancer
  • Stage IIIc
  • Lapatinib Clinical Trial start: November, 2008
  • Surgery: May 5, 2009
  • Started Herceptin: May 19, 2009
  • Started Radiation (33 rounds): June 10, 2009
  • September 2009: Moved to Michigan to be closer to family
  • 12/09 - still on Herceptin until May 2010
  • August 2010: Port out, port out, port out port out port port port out port ooooout...da da da dant! (to the music of the Pink Panther)
Blog: http://moonsfamily.blogspot.com
mmoons is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2009, 06:54 PM   #2
flynny

This is all normal to feel like this!! You have so many decisions to make and hoping you made the right one can be uneasy. You sound like you know in your heart that you did make the right decision and now you just have to stick to it!! We must try to have faith and trust in our doctors and hope they continue to lead us in the right direction, however if at any time you don't feel comfortable - get a second opinion.

You have a beautiful family when you are feeling down just take a look at those faces and everything seems to fall into place!

Jan '07 felt lump (PCP "thought" it was a cyst)
Nov '07 "bloody nipple discharge" (OB-GYN "thought" I had fibrocystic breasts and told me to take 400 IU's of Vitamin E)
Note: Mother was dx w/BC in 2004 (ER/PR+ & HER2+) & mets to brain April 2007 (she passed away June 17, 2008)
2/1/08: Biopsy Dx: DCIS (age 34)
2/22/08: Surgery R-side Mast
2/28/08: 1st Path Rpt Dx: IDC 1.8cm tumor & DCIS 2.1cm
2nd Path Rep DFCI - IDC (0.9cm) & DCIS (2.1cm)
Stage 1b/Gr 3; ER+(5%), PR+(2%), HER-2+++
5/5 nodes NEG; Clear Margins
Chemo: AC 4 rnds (1st one 3/31/08) finished 6/2/08
TH (Taxol/Hercepin) 12 weeks (1st one 6/25/08) finished 9/8/08
Herceptin 9 mos (every 3 weeks) finished 6/8/09
BRCA 1/2 NEG
Bio: Age 39, married to James 1999, 2 boys 12 & 10 yo
flynny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2009, 06:58 PM   #3
Mary Anne in TX

Hey, Maureen. Being where you are is the pitts, but I'm betting most of us go there now and then before working ourselves out of that place. I was exactly there during the time frame you describe. And being a single parent increases the burden a bit. It comes with benefits, but adds some concerns. I've learned to talk to my granddaughter (9 yrs old now) about my fears and worries...not heavy duty, but honestly. She came to us during my 2nd year of treatment....so I became a mom again during my battle. But overall, it was a blessing....a reason to fight when I wanted to jump off a tall building!
For someone who is a "if it's available, I want it" kind of person, I was happy to receive every single chemo and herceptin treatment I got. My attitude was to hit it with everything I could while I had the energy to do it (diagnosed just before I turned 61). My radiologist asked me one day if I would just keep coming as long as they asked me to....I said yes. What they didn't know was that I had read a ton about just what they were doing and knew that it was the best I could do with what my insurance company would approve. I'd do some reading about the herceptin and keep getting input. None of these are easy decisions. There are no perfect answers.
I think I have said this before, but I think I'm really lucky that my onc.'s wife had BC (well that was dumb, uh....I mean he had lived through it with her....well, nothing sounds appropriate but) and is doing really well after nearly 15 years.
I think my onc walks on water, but I still question him and check up on what others are doing and what other major clinics and hospitals are recommending. One person can not know everything to do for us. Even the best is human!
Well, best wishes and peaceful moments in your journey. You will get through this phase....you will. ma

Diag. 12/05 at age 60
Stage II, Grade 3, 4.5 cm primary tumor
ER/PR- Her2 +3 strongly positive
Her2 by FISH 7.7 amplified
vascular invasion
Ki67 20% borderline
Jan - March '06 Taxotere/Adriamycin X 3 to try to shrink tumor - it grew
April '06 Rt Modified Radical Mas, 7 of 9 nodes positive
April - Aug. '06 Herceptin/Taxol/Carboplatin X 8 (dose dense)
Sept - Dec. '06 Navelbine/Herceptin x 8 (dose dense)
Radiation & Herceptin Jan. 22 - March 1, 2007
Finished Herceptin Dec. 10 '08! One extra year.
Port removed August, 2012.
8 1/2 years since diagnosis! 5 1/2 Years NED!
Mary Anne in TX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2009, 07:04 PM   #4
caya

Dear Maureen,

You are one brave warrior to be going through all this with two young children and no spouse to lean on - you are stronger than you know.

Don't worry about reconstruction right now - I did not do it, I doubt I ever will. Your body, mind and spirit need to focus on getting through the treatment... I know it seems like it will never end, and the fear is overwhelming - but I promise you Maureen it WILL get better.

Are you on any kind of anti anxiety/anti depressant medication? Don't be a hero, if you need it, ask for it.

Come here anytime ... we have all been there.

all the best
caya
MRM Dec.18/06
3 x FEC, 3 x Taxotere
Herceptin - every 3 weeks for a year, finished May 8/08

Tamoxifen - 2 1/2 years
Femara - Jan. 1, 2010 - July 18, 2012
BRCA1/BRCA2 Negative
Dignosed 10/16/06, age 48 , premenopausal
Mild lymphedema diagnosed June 2009 - breast surgeon and lymph. therapist think it's completely reversible - hope so.
Reclast infusion January 2012
Oopherectomy October 2013
15 Years NED!!
caya is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2009, 07:28 PM   #5
Linda

Maureen:
You are in a really rough patch on this journey. I also did 6 mos of neoadjuvant chemo and near the end I felt pretty crazy. The combo of the waiting, the drugs, the nervousness about what will happen during surgery are all super stressful. One doc told me that neo adjuvant chemo is the most emotionally difficult treatment because it's like being diagnosed twice.
You will get through this and it will get better. I had very aggressive locally advanced diseased and I'm fine four years later. Also, from what I've heard, there is no evidence that more than one year of herceptin is helpful for non metastatic bc.
Of course you don't feel like yourself -- but you will again. Take care. Come here often. Don't question yourself. It's the situation, not you.
Good luck with your surgery.
Best
Linda
Linda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2009, 07:32 PM   #6
adrien

Hi,
I agree with most comments but want to know. Do you have a Breast care Nurse? They were my life lines. Anywhere, any time.

2005 mastectomy (Left ) 10cm IDC in lymphatic system and blood vessels oe- HER2 ++;Taxotere, Herceptin 18 mths
2006 skin tumours below scarline Add Femera, 3 weeks radiotherapy twice daily (unsuccessful)
excision of tumours.
2007 jan skin tumour on L chest wall; positive Right axilla
Temerifen.
September Ca markers rise. Start Tykerb 3 wks radiotherapy
2008 skin tumours regrow. latissimus dorsal flap for excision of skin tumours March 08. HER2++++
Faslodex injections
CEA and Ca15.3 rising
CT scan shows multiple mets in liver, lungs and inguinal glands. Stop Tykerb. Start Xeloda
CEA and Ca15.3 dropping like a stone. Skin tumours disappear.
Return 6 months later.
CT shows increase in size and number liver and lung mets.
Oct: Cyclophosphamide
Markers continue to rise. Change to Caelyx
CEA marker in the 2000s Back to Herceptin
New tunour R Breast
adrien is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2009, 07:42 PM   #7
Jackie07

Maureen,

I did not do reconstruction, either. I am still wearing all of my old
padded bras. I think you can take your time to make your decision about reconstruction.

Wow, May 5 is going to be your big day. Do remember that we are all rooting for you and cheering you on. You go, girl!

NICU 4.4 LB
Erythema Nodosum 85
Life-long Central Neurocytoma 4x5x6.5 cm 23 hrs 62090 semi-coma 10 d PT OT ST 30 d
3 Infertility tmts 99 > 3 u. fibroids > Pills
CN 3 GKRS 52301
IDC 1.2 cm Her2 +++ ER 5% R. Lmptmy SLNB+1 71703 6 FEC 33 R Tamoxifen
Recc IIB 2.5 cm Bi-L Mast 61407 2/9 nds PET
6 TCH Cellulitis - Lymphedema - compression sleeve & glove
H w x 4 MUGA 51 D, J 49 M
Diastasis recti
Tamoxifen B. scan
Irrtbl bowel 1'09
Colonoscopy 313
BRCA1 V1247I
hptc hemangioma
Vertigo
GI - > yogurt
hysterectomy/oophorectomy 011410
Exemestane 25 mg tab 102912 ~ 101016 stopped due to r. hip/l.thigh pain after long walk
DEXA 1/13
1-2016 lesions in liver largest 9mm & 1.3 cm onco. says not cancer.
3-11 Appendectomy - visually O.K., a lot of puss. Final path result - not cancer.
Start Vitamin D3 and Calcium supplement (600mg x2)
10-10 Stopped Exemestane due to r. hip/l.thigh pain OKed by Onco 11-08-2016
7-23-2018 9 mm groundglass nodule within the right lower lobe with indolent behavior. Due to possible adenocarcinoma, Recommend annual surveilence.
7-10-2019 CT to check lung nodule.
1-10-2020 8mm stable nodule on R Lung, two 6mm new ones on L Lung, a possible lymph node involvement in inter fissule.
"I WANT TO BE AN OUTRAGEOUS OLD WOMAN WHO NEVER GETS CALLED AN OLD LADY. I WANT TO GET SHARP EDGED & EARTH COLORED, TILL I FADE AWAY FROM PURE JOY." Irene from Tampa

Advocacy is a passion .. not a pastime - Joe

Last edited by Jackie07; 04-14-2009 at 09:12 PM..
Jackie07 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2009, 07:43 PM   #8
Paty

Dear Maureen,

I feel very touched by your words, and let me tell you that I can perfectly understand how you feel. I understand the myriad of fears that appear in front of us and that we do not know how to face. I can understand your sleepless midnights when the mind rolls and rolls with tons of questions and having no answers. I know we all understand you. We all have been or are going through the same, that is why we are here and you do not have to apologize for feeling one way or the other. You know you can always come here and we will listen, I know that sometimes we do not always know what to say, but know that we are here and we are with you. I send you a hug a huge one and I will pray for you tonight and for the peace that we all need in our minds.
God bless you.

Paty
ER-PR+,her2+++
6 FAC
32 Rads
Dx. Lung fibrosis due to radiation
Ended 1 year herceptin in March, 2008
Paty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2009, 07:53 PM   #9
WomanofSteel

I think we have all been where you are at one time or another. That is why we come here, to lift ourselves from this place. Relax, take a deep breath and take one day at a time. That is all any of us can handle. Hang in there, things will be fine.
bcs 8/4/03
bcs 8/21/03 0/16 nodes
tx 4x ca 36 rad tam
postmenopausal 06 aromasin
sept 07 biopsy node in neck
muga/pet/cat/bone mets to lungs nodes and liver stage iv
tx hki-272
tx not working switched to taxol herceptin
Taxol not working switched to navelbine
navelbine is causing bad neuropathy
starting gemzar
gemzar quit on me now on Ixempra due to increasing number and size of liver mets
another progression starting tykerb/xeloda
WomanofSteel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2009, 07:58 PM   #10
atdec05

Hi Maureen,

I think you're feeling the cumulative effects of all these 'toxins' that they're pumping your body with to wipe out any residual c cells.

Plus, you are getting steroids as pre-treatment to the Taxol, and that can wreak havoc with your emotions. I know it did with me at times.

take care, and lean on us!
Anna

Stage I - DX 9/2005
ER/PR-, HER2+, grade 3, DCIS, IDC multi-focal (1.05cm)
DD 4 A/C finished Jan 31, 2006
Herceptin weekly finished Jan 31, 2007
recurrence to chest wall on last month of Herceptin
Stage 3B - 3/15/07 - 2 carcinomas in dermal lymphatic
Rads finished 6/5/07
12x TH finished 9/10/07
12/07 - Clear scan!
3/08 - 4 month Melatonin trial
1/09 - osteoperosis -
start Alendronate
2/09 - 4-month Simivastin trial
3/13 - take drug holiday after 5 years of Alendronate
atdec05 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2009, 08:20 PM   #11
Believe51

Location: RHODE ISLAND (Ed getting me a latte on 2nd Cancerversary Cruise 2008) 'BELIEVE': To accept as true or real, To have faith in, To presume ALWAYS BELIEVE
Maureen, I am so sorry that your plate is this full and you are having to deal with that much. I do know that I have followed your journey since you first joined this family. I am amazed by you and your strength. Although you may not always feel that way I want to let you know as a bystander in your life I am so proud of you.

I am happy for you and your new counselor too. I wish you well and with much progress, this is important for you to find more of the peace you deserve. I already know that you realize that we will always be here for you, Sweetness. You are never alone on this journey.

I do echo the advice of a second opinion if you are uncomfortable with an answer. I have total faith in our OncoMan but there have been times during this journey that a second opinion was warrented. Not second-guessing the doctor even, just important issues. We do question and research on our own that allows more ammo to be taken to our doctor.

I wish you peace today and always. I say once more, you shall never walk alone!! We are always right here!>>Believe51
9/7/06Husband 50yrs=StageIV IBC/HER2+,BoneMets10/06TaxotereX10,'H'1X wk,Zometa,Tamoxifen4/12/07Last Tax5/18/07Pet=Rapid Cell Activity,No Organ Mets,Lytic Lesions,Degeneration,Some Bone Repair5/07ChemoFail6/01/07Pleural Thoracentisis=Effusions,NoMalignantCells6/19/07+7/2/07DFCI
6/25/07BrainMRI=BrainMets,Many<9mm7/10/07WBR/PelvisRad37.5Gx15&Nutritionist8/19/07T/X9/20/07BrainMRI=2<2mm10/6/07Pet=BoneProgression
10/24/07ChemoFail11/9/07A/Cx10,EndTam12/7/07Faslodex12/10/07Muga7512/13/07BlasticLesions1/7/08BrainMRI=Clear4/1/08Pet=BoneImprovement,
NoProgression,Stable4/7/08BrainPerfect5/16/08Last A/C8/26/08BrainMets=10(<9mm)9/10/08Gamma10/30/08Met=5mm12/19/08Gamma5mets5
12/22/08SpinalMets1/14/09SpinalRads2/17/09BrainMRI=NoNewMets4/20/09BoneScan5/14/09Ixempra6/1/09BrainMRI=NumerousMets6/24/09DFCIw/DrBurstein6/26/09Continue
Ixempra/Faslodex/Zometa~TM now lower7/17/09Stop Ixempra By Choice9/21/09HOSPICE10/16/09Earned His Deserved Wings And Halo=37 Month Fight w/Stage 4 IBC, Her2+++,My Hero!!
Believe51 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2009, 08:33 PM   #12
Debbie L.

it always feels lonely - because only YOU can know your own path

Maureen,

I wish that we could fix this for you. But we cannot. We can listen with empathy and some understanding. We can send healing and loving thoughts (and we do). But ultimately, the journey through this is yours alone. I say this not to increase your loneliness but to support you in your explorations of it. YOU DO HAVE THE ANSWERS, right there at hand, within/about you. The answers are there, in whatever place you feel comfortable looking for them - they are there. In your heart, your essence, your spirit, your God, your guide, your Savior - whatever name resonates best with you - your support and answers are there. You only need to still the fears a little, and ask. I am sure of it.

How to still the fears? What helped and helps me is to remember that whatever happens, THIS moment, right now, is marred by my fears only if I allow that to happen. This moment, right now, is mine to cherish or to waste. If I obsess (and believe me, I know how to obsess), I waste this moment. We do not
(alas) have as much control over what happens as we'd like to believe we do. You've made excellent and well-researched treatment decisions. Let them go. What happens in the future is not within your control. What happens RIGHT NOW, in this moment - that IS within your control. This moment - that's really all that we have. We can think, and rationalize, and deceive ourselves and others - with the illusion that we can control what comes. But that takes us away from what's real, which is right now.

The most helpful thing that I found, to get myself through a similar place to where you are now, was to say to myself: "do you want to waste this precious moment, right now, in fear or worry about what may happen, especially knowing as you now do, that your moments might be more limited than you'd imagined?". Well, I'd answer - "but I can't STOP thinking about my fears and about my loved ones". So ... (helpful little voice chimes in) ... "What if you have only a few precious moments left to you, and you've wasted them in fear and worry?" Hmm, well ... somehow that helped me to shift my perspective. LIVE RIGHT NOW. None of us knows the future. None of us wants to waste precious moments. What do we lose, if we see this urgency and new perspective as a gift, rather than as a curse? Nothing is lost but our time-wasting fear, and much is gained if we are able to embrace this moment, and all that it holds, with gratitude that we are still here (this moment).

This healing perspective doesn't come just by wishing it or realizing its truth. It comes from practice, and from support from others who've been there/done that. Please, Maureen, keep the dialogue going so that we all can learn from each other, and support each other.

I think that ultimately, these discussions are more important that the ones that discuss medical issues (which I also love - I am addicted to the science - what a paradox). But I do believe that the medical issues, even the life-saving ones, are ultimately of lesser importance.

How LONG we live is less important that HOW we live.

Love and healing thoughts,
Debbie Laxague
HER2neu positive by IHC and FISH (8.89).
Lymphovascular invasion, grade 3, 8/9 modified SBR.
TX: Control of arm of NSABP's B-31 adjuvant Herceptin trial (no Herceptin, inducing a severe case of Herceptin-envy): A/C x 4 and Taxol x 4 q3weeks, then rads. Raging infection of entire chest after small revision of mastectomy scar after completing tx (significance unknown). Arimidex for two years, stopped after second pathology opinion.
2017: Mild and manageable lymphedema and some cognitive issues.
Debbie L. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2009, 09:06 PM   #13
Jackie07

Maureen,

Happened to see your 'spouse' comment. Trust me, sometimes it is better to be 'alone' than to have a big burden, especially at trying times. Do you have friends or relatives/neighbors help out with your children? I think there are some American Cancer Society local chapters that you might want to check them out. Hospitals often provide social workers to assist patients deal with their family situation. I hope you will utilize all
the services available. Let us know how things go, OK?
(Sisters are great! Are you the sixth child? I have three older brothers and two older sisters. And I am the baby. Very spoiled...)

NICU 4.4 LB
Erythema Nodosum 85
Life-long Central Neurocytoma 4x5x6.5 cm 23 hrs 62090 semi-coma 10 d PT OT ST 30 d
3 Infertility tmts 99 > 3 u. fibroids > Pills
CN 3 GKRS 52301
IDC 1.2 cm Her2 +++ ER 5% R. Lmptmy SLNB+1 71703 6 FEC 33 R Tamoxifen
Recc IIB 2.5 cm Bi-L Mast 61407 2/9 nds PET
6 TCH Cellulitis - Lymphedema - compression sleeve & glove
H w x 4 MUGA 51 D, J 49 M
Diastasis recti
Tamoxifen B. scan
Irrtbl bowel 1'09
Colonoscopy 313
BRCA1 V1247I
hptc hemangioma
Vertigo
GI - > yogurt
hysterectomy/oophorectomy 011410
Exemestane 25 mg tab 102912 ~ 101016 stopped due to r. hip/l.thigh pain after long walk
DEXA 1/13
1-2016 lesions in liver largest 9mm & 1.3 cm onco. says not cancer.
3-11 Appendectomy - visually O.K., a lot of puss. Final path result - not cancer.
Start Vitamin D3 and Calcium supplement (600mg x2)
10-10 Stopped Exemestane due to r. hip/l.thigh pain OKed by Onco 11-08-2016
7-23-2018 9 mm groundglass nodule within the right lower lobe with indolent behavior. Due to possible adenocarcinoma, Recommend annual surveilence.
7-10-2019 CT to check lung nodule.
1-10-2020 8mm stable nodule on R Lung, two 6mm new ones on L Lung, a possible lymph node involvement in inter fissule.
"I WANT TO BE AN OUTRAGEOUS OLD WOMAN WHO NEVER GETS CALLED AN OLD LADY. I WANT TO GET SHARP EDGED & EARTH COLORED, TILL I FADE AWAY FROM PURE JOY." Irene from Tampa

Advocacy is a passion .. not a pastime - Joe

Last edited by Jackie07; 04-14-2009 at 09:12 PM..
Jackie07 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2009, 09:20 PM   #14
ElaineM

Wink Struggling

We all understand what you are experiencing. Most of us probably have been there. Some of us may still be experiencing some of the same things. The cancer experience is like no other experience. You are totally normal. Anytime you feel like you need comfort feel free to log on. Come sit by the campfire awhile too.
http://her2support.org/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=48247
Lucky 13 !! I hope so !!!!!!
http://her2support.org/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=52807
14 Year Survivor
http://her2support.org/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=57053
"You never know how strong you are until being strong is the only choice you have." author unknown
Shared by a multiple myeloma survivor.
ElaineM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2009, 09:24 PM   #15
rl2

struggling

It is so normal to struggle like you are. We all have. The sickness, the baldness, the horrible illness from the drugs, the chemo, the struggle. We have all gone through it and all wondered if we would ever come out the other side of it. Then, many months later, we discovered our bodies, our hair, our lives somehow have come back. It is possible to come back from it, as unbelievable as it seems from when you are in the depths of despair. I am close to 3 years out, when I never thought I would get there, bald, sick, throwing up in terrible shape. I feel almost normal again, and you will too. Treatment is terrible, but necessary, but after it is over, you will find yourself on the other side. Just hang on.
Old 04-14-2009, 09:32 PM   #16
DonnaD

Hi Maureen,
I wish we were close enough to have a cup of green tea, and share a huge hug. We have all felt like a "crumbling worrying blob" at some point. You have so much to deal with right now. I haven't read your blog lately but know in the past you were and probably still are dealing with side effects of treatment. Being an only parent has to add to your concern. My surgeon put my surgery on the fast track and I knew that was a good thing. But it also scared the heck out of me. The sooner you have surgery, the sooner you can get on with the next step. I'll pray for peace for you about your decision about no reconstruction. Go with your gut feeling. It sounds like you have a wonderful onc. but ask those questions. You are a fighter. You can do this! Look how much you have already accomplished.

My treatment was 16 months from surgery until I finished Herceptin. I was terrified each time something was over, like chemo, then radiation and finally Herceptin. I felt like I was no longer fighting. Yep, those comments about being over with cancer really get to me also. Only cancer survivors understand we will never be over with cancer... but it does get better. Time and faith ease worries and fears. I am waiting for a day I don't think of cancer once. I look back now and can't understand how I did the treatment schedule. We chose to do all treatments including radiation for 6 weeks, at a large teaching hospital 110 miles away round trip. It is a memory and yours will be also!

Hug those beautiful children, watch them sleep, listen to their sweet words, hold their little fingers and laugh with them. Know that many have you surrounded by prayers. God is good
Love,
Donna
PS Well said rl2. Welcome!
Lumpectomy 8/30/06
Stage llA, grade 3, ER/PR-, Her2++
1.7 cm tumor, 1+ lymph node out of 9
Completed 4 A/C, & 4 Taxol with Herceptin
36 rads completed 5/16/07
Mammograms, 7/07 clear
fractured ribs in radiated area 10/07
Finished Herceptin 12/27/07
Mammogram,CT,tumor markers 1/08 - small lung nodules in radiated area, repeated tests 3/08 stable
Mammogram,CT ,tumor markers 6/08 stable
NED 2 years!!
3 years !!!
4years!!!!
4 years, 10 months and 8 day NED, calling it 5 years!!!
Official 5 years 8/30/2011
8/31/ 2012 - 6 years!!!!!!

Last edited by DonnaD; 04-15-2009 at 04:36 AM..
DonnaD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2009, 10:43 PM   #17
BonnieR

Maureen, you WILL get to a peaceful place again. The only way OUT is THROUGH. Today I was reading my journals that I kept during treatment. I expressed so many of the things you are experiencing now. The fears and worry. Second guessing. It was horrible some days. But it is behind me.
Would it make you feel better to get another opinion about your course of treatment? Just to get peace of mind? It does sound as though your doctor is sensitive and you trust her.
But I love what Debbie said. At some point we just have to trust the process and a higher power once we have made our decisions. Living a day at a time.
We all remember what it is like to be feeling as you do. Hard to believe, but some day it will be behind you.
Keep the faith.

Post menopause
May 2007 Core biopsy, Rt breast
ER+, Pr-, HER2 +++, Grade 3
Ki-67: 90%
"suspicious area" left breast
Bilateral mastectomy, (NED on left) May 2007
Sentinel Node Neg
Stage 1, DCIS with microinvasion, 3 mm, mostly removed during the biopsy....
Femara (discontinued 7/07) Resumed 10/07
OncoType score 36 (July 07)
Began THC 7/26/07 (d/c taxol and carboplatin 10/07)
Began Herceptin alone 10/07
Finished Herceptin July /08
D/C Femara 4/10 (joint pain/trigger thumb!)
5/10 mistakenly dx with lung cancer. Middle rt lobe removed!
Aromasin started 5/10
BonnieR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2009, 01:40 AM   #18
Jean

Dear Maureen,
Oh those dark late nights which carry dark thoughts.
I think most of us have had many of those dark lonely nights...even those of us who have a spouse. It is still a disease that we deal with within ourselves. As women we not only deal with the dx. but worry about our families how the dx will affect them.

I call this "the dark what if worry thoughts" - well they come and go and is certainly part of the reality of the dx.
When these thoughts come (amazing how they will pop in)...remind yourself and concentrate on your treatment. Herceptin is truly a miracle drug for us.
You have as much opportunity for the treatment to work
so place your dark thoughts into that direction.

It is so normal to feel the way you do but as Debbie said we have choices along this strange hetic journey. We can stay knowledable about our treatment, work in harmony with our dr. (your dr. sounds great).

Sorry to say that worry comes with the dx. How you decide to deal with it is another issue.

As far as 6 months verses 12 months of herceptin.
I had the 12 months of treatment. If this is upsetting you I would ask my onc. to reach out to Dr. Slamon for a consult with your history and pathology for a second opinon on how long to continue herceptin. I am sure she will understand your need for additonal input. I have read aritcles on 6 months veres 12 months for early stage ...are you still in the trial?

Is the decision to have 6 months of herceptin based on the trial?

Keeping you in my thoughts and prayers.
Jean
ER+ 90% / PR-, Her2+++ by FISH
Ki-67 40%
Arimidex 5/05
Radiation 32 trt, 5/30/05
Oncotype DX test 4/17/06, 31% high risk
TOPO 11 neg. 4/06
Stopped Arimidex 5/06
TCH 5/06, 6 treatments
Herceptin 5/06 - for 1 yr.
9/06 Completed chemo
Started Femara Sept. 2006
Jean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2009, 05:15 AM   #19
jones7676

Location: I live in Christmas, MI - located on the shores of Lake Superior.
Dear Maureen,

First of all, I believe your treatment plan is very wise and my gut feeling sends me positive vibes and it saying is that you will be fine for a long time.

I cannot tell you what to do....but I can say I understand what you are going through. I could not stand the responsibility of giving you"wrong" advice. I can tell you in retrospect of all my personal challenges that I would encourage you to push if you feel something is wrong and never be afraid to get another opinion about what is the "best" treatment. I believe my outcome might have been quite different if Herceptin was available to me right away.....but that does not stop me from fighting every day!

I hope these are the last of your challenges for quite some time - or perhaps for a long, long, long, time as you know there is research going on every day.

I can tell you despite a recent really depressed period I am recovering right now, trying to stay positive and believing I may still be around for quite a while despite all the challenges I face.

However, my nickname where I primarily get chemo treatment is "Mohammed Ali".... so do keep that in mind.

10/03 Radical Mastectomy 3 cm tumor - 1/17 Nodes Stage II B, Her 2 +++ ER-/PR- 11/03 4 AC 4 Taxol 12/05 Stage IV - Lung met , Bone mets - Carbo, Taxotere, Herceptin 9/06 - 2 cm brain tumor 10/06 - Tumor removal surgery - Herceptin Halted 12/06 gamma knife tumor base.1/07 Navelbine/Herceptin 4/07 Rads to R femur 5/07 Stereotactic - new 2 cm brain tumor 4/07 Start Xeloda 5/07 Tykerb added 7/07 Brain MRI clean 10/07 .055 cm brain met found. 12/07 Stereotactic -1 cm brain tumor Start Tykerb 11/07 Abraxane/Herceptin 5/08 Cisplatin, Gemcitabine/Herceptin 6/08 Stereotactic to 1cm 9/08 Stereotactic repeat (growth). 11/08 Pet Scan Good but new tiny met on L lung/dead Brain surgery (no cancer cells found/scar tissue) 1/09 Chemo restarted 2/09 Pet Scan Bad - R larger very active/active L active lymph nodes both sides of chest MRI- mets slight increase 2/09 Start Doxil/Tykerb Treatment
jones7676 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2009, 07:47 AM   #20
Shobha

Maureen,

My situation was very similar to yours. I had 6 months of very aggressive chemo treatment before the surgery. The point you are at right now is the most diffcult one. I can totally relate to what you are going through. But, I can promise that it will get better!

I too did not bother with reconstruction and have not regretted it.

Like you said, this is not your usual positive self and that part of your personality will come back full force after the surgery. Radiation and herceptin (rest of six months) will be much easier.

I was also given 54 weeks of herceptin since I was stage IIIB.

Praying for you and sending peaceful, positive thoughts your way...

hugs,
shobha
BRCA 1 and 2 - Negative
Jan 2008 - Bilateral mastectomy, prophylactic Rt. side.
Radiation for 5 weeks
Completed my yr of herceptin on 07-14-2008
Brain MRI - 3/2/09 Clean
Shobha is offline   Reply With Quote