HonCode

Go Back   HER2 Support Group Forums > her2group
Register Gallery FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts

Old 12-14-2005, 07:13 AM   #1
Toril

MUGA scan bad - no herceptin! Advice?

I am stage 4 with liver mets. Been on navelbine and herceptin since April with very good results. Mets almost gone.
BUT latest muga was only 42 % and the onc has taken me off herceptin (from 65 in april). I'll continue with the navelbine, from which I fortunatelly have no sideeffects.

The doctor says beeing active, exercising might help, so I thought I might as well try. But otherwise?? I saw some of you recomending something called CU Q10?

I am sure some of you must have experiensed the same, did your numbers go up again, for how long etc. That is may questions.

I've been reading these pages a lot. Very informative. Thanks to all!!
Toril is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2005, 07:32 AM   #2
Maryanne

Hi Toril,

Your oncologist is correct, even if you just get out and walk your heart will benefit. Try to work up to 3-4 miles a day. Hard I know to think about, but a little each day and you will get there. As to the CoQ10, my nutrition at the center I am being treated at recommended this as well. I am taking 100mg 3 x a day.
Start of with 100 mg a day and work your way up over the next few weeks.

Prior to chemo my muga scan was 61 and has remained this way throughout Chemo and now with 8 months of Herceptin.

Warm regards,
Maryanne
Maryanne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2005, 04:05 AM   #3
Toril

thanks Maryanne for your reply!

I'll take it with me to my onc and ask what he has to say. I now also been reading all the other answers to similar questions prior to mine. they seem to confirm what you are saying.

Thanks a lot! And good luck with your treatment.
Old 12-15-2005, 09:35 AM   #4
Unregistered

Here is a link on breast cancer and exercise. (50% benifit reported)

Lots of trials suggest benifits for greens, oxidant high foods, balancing omega threes and sixes etc. Have a look a the breast cancer diet on the "Articles of Interest" section. The body is very complex and so are foods, so it is probably better to rely on really good diet as a basis with supplements on top. Any spplements are likely to work better if the body has got all the other things it needs.

My top tip is balance you omega three and six intake. See The Importance of Omega three and Six to breast cancer on the Articles of interest section.

As with all these things it is always best to check it out for yourself if you have time.

There is lots on Q10 on this site as well.

RB

http://medicineworld.org/cancer/lead...-function.html

http://www.breastcancercare.org/inde...iew&ANN_id=108

ABSTRACT

A new study from researchers at Boston’s Brigham and Women’s Hospital and Harvard Medical School finds that exercise after diagnosis may help breast cancer patients live longer and better. The study appears in the May 25th issue of the Journal of the American Medical Association, JAMA.

One doesn’t have to be a marathon runner in order to benefit. Compared to physically inactive women with breast cancer, women who engaged in moderate exercise equivalent to three to five hours of walking per week lowered their risk of death by approximately 50 percent. Even a minimal amount of exercise was better than none at all. Walking just one hour per week helped promote breast cancer survival.

Previous studies have shown that exercise can help to prevent breast cancer as well as other diseases, but this new study is the first to show that regular exercise can add years to the life of breast cancer survivors. “We found that women who are physically active after breast cancer diagnosis may lower their risk of death from breast cancer and cancer recurrence,” said Michelle D. Holmes, MD, DrPH, lead author of the study.

The prospective observational study included almost 3,000 female registered nurses in the Nurses’ Health Study who were diagnosed with stage I, II, or III breast cancer between 1984 and 1998. These women were followed by questionnaires until June 2002.

Women who received the greatest benefit from exercise had the most common type of cancer, one in which the breast tumors are susceptible to hormone levels. This finding suggests that exercise may improve survival by reducing hormone levels and thereby suppress tumor growth and recurrence.
Old 12-15-2005, 06:53 PM   #5
BonnieT

Hi
I have had my MUGA drop significately after herceptin also. My Oncologist stopped the herceptin and sent me to a Cardiologist, he did an echo and it showed no heart damage, he also put me on 2 heart meds Coreg. and Lisinopril , I was off herceptin for about 2 months and my MUGA went from 36 up to 52 !! I then started herceptin again but now I am taking it once a week ( smaller dose) instead of every 3 weeks and my MUGA stayed around 50.
I also take 100 mg Coenzyeme 10, My cardiologist said it was up to me if I wanted to take that.
I would suggest seeing a cardiologist they are the experts on the heart.
Best of luck and keep us posted
BonnieT
BonnieT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2005, 02:12 PM   #6
Toril

Thanks for reply!

- its very encouracing to see that you have fight this. I will see me onc after Christmas. I'll keep you posted.

Best whishes
Toril
Old 12-21-2005, 03:08 PM   #7
Rupali

Hi Toril,
More important to go and see a cardiologist. The cardiologistt will put you on COreg and Lisinopril. You can add 300-400 mg of COQ10 and some walk and some wild salmon will get you back on Herceptin in 4 weeks.
Rupali is offline   Reply With Quote